The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed?

3 posters

Go down

Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed? Empty Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed?

Post by Kingshu Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

The Amlin Challenge Cup, has been changed in recent years to allow some Heineken Cup teams to parachute in.

However I still think that further reform is needed.

For a start only group winners get to the next stage, I think this could be increased to first and second in the group.
Also teams only get european ranking points for topping your group, I believe that the points should be for first and second places and more European ranking points be awarded to teams in the Amlin competation.

Benetton Treviso used to get points in the Hcup for not winning a game and get in automatically to it each year, racking up more points each year dispite not winning a game, than a team in the Amlin that could win 4 games in their group and finish second and not get any European ranking points.

I also believe that the super 10 teams shouldn't be in it (altough for the development of Itialian rugby I think they should be) because it sets a possibility of things like Aironi could meet Crociati Parma (one of the Member clubs of Aironi) which couldn't be judged a unbiased match as its a feeder team v main team.

It could also lead to calls for Welsh prem sides being entered meaning you could end up with match ups like Llanelli RFC v the Scarlets or Cardiff RFC v Cardiff Blues, or even better Cardiff Blues v Pontypridd RFC.

I don't believe a competation can operate fairly with games played without bias, if there is a possabilty that a feeder team could meet it's main team.

Maybe in Super 10's case do not allow teams that are feeder clubs to Aironi or Treviso to enter.

Another point is a team getting to the Quarter-finals is arwarded 2 points, while a team that comes down from the h-cup and enters the Quarter-finals will gain 3 points. Surly of getting to the same stage in the Amlin cup both teams should get the same number of points.

Do you feel changes need to be made to the Amlin and if so what?

Last edited by Kingshu on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed? Empty Re: Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

Kingshu - I agree with regards to the Italians, the moment they went regional/provincial/superclub then that should have ruled out feeder teams being able to participate in the lower teir competition.

Another issue you didn't pick up on is what happens if Crociati Parma (using your example) win the Amlin, do they earn a right to play in the HC as any other side would?

Maybe just remove the Italian Super10 sides, and bring in another few Romanian (or other european nation) sides.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed? Empty Re: Amlin Challenge Cup, reform needed?

Post by beshocked Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

Yes but not what you are on about! Would be unfair to include the Welsh premiership sides and not for example the English championship sides.

I would like to see the overturning of the idiotic drop down rule which has had failures in the HC winning the Amlin like Cardiff Blues who have undeservedly picked up many european ranking points. Also definitely against the drop down rule as it has royally screwed my team's ERC ranking.

Teams that fail in the HC should not be given a dog's chance.

The Amlin challenge cup should consist of more countries to be a true European competition.

One team from Romania, one from Spain,one from Portugal,one from Georgia and one from Russia as examples.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down