The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Froch v Andre Ward

+20
NathanDB10
Lumbering_Jack
The Pugilist
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
aja424
Michaels, Sean
Seanusarrilius
BALTIMORA
easthfc
J.Benson II
Imperial Ghosty
Super D Boon
Scottrf
Rowley
coxy0001
TopHat24/7
Fists of Fury
Mr Bounce
School Project
Steffan
24 posters

Go down

Carl Froch v Andre Ward - Who will win and how?

Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_lcap19%Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 11 ]
Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_lcap58%Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 34 ]
Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_lcap22%Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 13 ]
Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_lcap1%Carl Froch v Andre Ward Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 59

Carl Froch v Andre Ward Empty Carl Froch v Andre Ward

Post by Steffan Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:37 am

Draw and DQs not included as unlikely. KO covers knockout, stoppage and towel thrown in

Just want to see what the opinion is right now

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch v Andre Ward Empty Re: Carl Froch v Andre Ward

Post by School Project Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:54 am

I know we've had a debate about this already, but my VOTE goes for Ward. I can just see him being too awkward for Froch who is a lot more limited when it comes to countering and placing his shots.

Frochs best chance is to make this a real rough house fight and drag Ward into the "trenches" like the "warrior" he is.

If Froch has any sense though, he'd note how off balance Ward is when he lunges in for a hold... Froch could easily back off at this point and force a punch on the inside as it happens, whilst Ward is off balance and leaping in he might get lucky with a knockdown... I just don't see Froch being quick enough to pull off a Mayweather-esque punch (ala Ricky Hatton)

HOWEVER, I see it looking a little like the Dirrell fight, with Froch FORCING the action in the first 2 or 3 rounds until Ward starts landing cleaner shots and a few headbutts from the outside when leaping in.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:56 am

Ward to win by headbutt stoppage - I mean points win... censored

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:28 am

Ward via UD for me. A bit too slick for Froch.

Please prove me wrong, Carl.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:38 am

Would stake my mortgage on Ward not being able to knock Carl out, so it's points win to Ward all the way, regardless of the quality of Carl's performance. Sad times.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

Heart is really, really saying Froch. Head is telling me to put everything i own on Ward though. Might just have a £30 double on Ward by pts and Guerrero by pts, pays out 100/30.... Cracking odds for 2 near guarantees for me.... Unless of course Froch gets stopped on cuts because he's been headbutted to death.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

Really can't call this one, every instinct says Ward because that is the result Showtime are obviously pulling for and so have to think his questionable use of the head will be tolerated and he will get the nod in any close rounds. However just think post Kessler Froch seems to have matured and seems to have a real attitude like he will not be denied in this one. Also think he is the kind of guy who if Ward does get a bit free with the head Carl amy just react in kind, and will be really interested to see if he is taken to a place like this who will he react, as to the best of my knowledge he has not really had to contend with this kind of thing thus far as a pro.

Would not stake even a penny on this and am going to have to remain on the fence re. a prediction.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

coxy0001 wrote:Heart is really, really saying Froch. Head is telling me to put everything i own on Ward though. Might just have a £30 double on Ward by pts and Guerrero by pts, pays out 100/30.... Cracking odds for 2 near guarantees for me.... Unless of course Froch gets stopped on cuts because he's been headbutted to death.

I like the sound of that bet, Coxy. Almost surefire outcomes, for me.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

I think Froch struggles with the quicker and better movers that he's faced. Ward UD.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Heart is really, really saying Froch. Head is telling me to put everything i own on Ward though. Might just have a £30 double on Ward by pts and Guerrero by pts, pays out 100/30.... Cracking odds for 2 near guarantees for me.... Unless of course Froch gets stopped on cuts because he's been headbutted to death.

I like the sound of that bet, Coxy. Almost surefire outcomes, for me.

The odds are on Skybet, the UD/SD/TKO etc odds haven't been released yet for either fight. I think they're watching me like a hawk after i made the world aware of Khan being 13/2 for UD vs Maidana... Almost lost most of what i'd earnt that month on it when Maidana hit the deck in the 1st and Khan went awol in the 10th. Made a nice amount off it though.

Not a huge amount else i fancy. I say i'll do £30 now but that'll probably be £500 after i get in stumbling around on the night of Maidana vs Guerrero

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

rowley wrote:Really can't call this one, every instinct says Ward because that is the result Showtime are obviously pulling for and so have to think his questionable use of the head will be tolerated and he will get the nod in any close rounds. However just think post Kessler Froch seems to have matured and seems to have a real attitude like he will not be denied in this one. Also think he is the kind of guy who if Ward does get a bit free with the head Carl amy just react in kind, and will be really interested to see if he is taken to a place like this who will he react, as to the best of my knowledge he has not really had to contend with this kind of thing thus far as a pro.

Would not stake even a penny on this and am going to have to remain on the fence re. a prediction.

Good to see the Trevor Brooking of the forum out in force!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

D if I was being honest I would tip Ward but tipping against Carl for me is akin to you tipping against Calzaghe, in as much as it ain't going to happen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

I actually think Froch will win this with relative comfort, seems to have learnt from previous mistakes and Ward doesn't have the chin or power of Johnson to worry him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I actually think Froch will win this with relative comfort, seems to have learnt from previous mistakes and Ward doesn't have the chin or power of Johnson to worry him.

Bold prediction there Ghost based on what I do not know.

Considering Johnson (despite the blast out of RJJ) is not really known as a power puncher and Ward's chin is laregly untested I can't think why you come to that conclusion. The worrying thing is that Froch ate a bunch of right hands from Johnson all night , so feel he may have to digest a load from Ward as well. Don;t think that Ward will hurt him no, but Ward is much more elsuive and harder to hit than the come forward jack hammer style of Johnson who most good boxers can pick off and outscore. Johnson loses most of his top level fights.

Got a nasty feeling that no matter how well Froch does I can't see him being given the win if he doesn't KO Ward. Ward seems to be groomed for this trophy and is slowly becoming an American Sven Ottke type fighter.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm

rowley wrote:D if I was being honest I would tip Ward but tipping against Carl for me is akin to you tipping against Calzaghe, in as much as it ain't going to happen.
]

You're right in saying it aint gonna happen. Calzaghe signed off over three years ago now.... besides I aint a betting man.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

Ward UD.
Better, slicker and quicker boxer with more variety and ringsmart.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

Based on what i've seen Ward has no real power in punches at least nothing to worry Froch which Johnson could do when he landed that big right hand, KO victories over Green, Jones and Griffin prove to me he has more power than Ward. Johnson is aside from possibly Froch the toughest SOB in and around super middleweight, again find it very hard to imagine that Ward can take a punch as well as him. Froch will be more willing to take risks than he was against Abraham and Johnson because of this, he wont let Ward get away with the dirty stuff like Kessler did and when he knows plan A isn't working Ward will get discouraged.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

I agree that Ward has nothing in his punches to worry Froch but think that Froch's lack of workrate will lose him the fight unless he gets the KO. And given that Froch, despite having good power is not a devastating KO artist I'm not sure if that is going to happen. Ward just seems a bit too slick. In saying that though I think it will be a close and interesting fight with Ward being wobbled more than once but Froch being outscored. I think Ward has more than just a Plan A though.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

I think too much is made of Wards slickness, in that regard he's no Jermain Taylor.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I think too much is made of Wards slickness, in that regard he's no Jermain Taylor.

Yeah but Taylor lost a lot of that by the time he fought Froch though.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

It's an easy thing to say but he was still a very slick boxer at the time of the Froch fight as the fight itself highlighted.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

No way was JT the same man that beat Bernard Hopkins twice! In freefall since thise fights. Taylor lost his hunger, gassed really badly against Froch. The fight with Abraham proved Taylor was reduced to being a four round fighter. I'm not having that a 2009 version of Taylor is more slcik than a 2011 Andre Ward!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

He gassed badly in the last round before which he'd put in one of his career best performances, the Abraham fight came after the Froch fight so doesn't really give an indication of the fighter he was against Froch himself, more skillful fighter than Ward.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

I think Ward will buccle under the pressure the more experienced Froch will put on him. Ward has never faced a fighter like Froch iirc. I really think he'll be exposed.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:He gassed badly in the last round before which he'd put in one of his career best performances, the Abraham fight came after the Froch fight so doesn't really give an indication of the fighter he was against Froch himself, more skillful fighter than Ward.

I disagree and think your fangirl bias for Froch is shining through. Given that Taylor lost and got KO'd to a limited Pavlik and drew against an old Wright and SD'd against a nobody in Cory Spinks long before Froch kinda shoots this outta the water. Beat Hopkins by throwing a load, something he lost the ability to do after those fights. To be so bias against one fighter and so pro another is unbelieveable! Can't believe that Froch beating a prime Taylor is what you believe!

Think Ward has more skill. He can fight behind the jab, fight inside, fight rough the only thing he can't do is punch hard. He won the olympic ligth heavyweight gold fighting as a middleweight gives you an idea of the sort of task Froch has in front of him.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:He gassed badly in the last round before which he'd put in one of his career best performances, the Abraham fight came after the Froch fight so doesn't really give an indication of the fighter he was against Froch himself, more skillful fighter than Ward.

I disagree and think your fangirl bias for Froch is shining through.

Yeah, because you're renowned for your lack of bias on any subject to do with Carl Froch....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

I can't see much other than Ward doing his utmost to suck the life out of this fight. I think his speed will give Froch problems, and if he does what Dirrell did while managing to nick a few more rounds, I wouldn't be surprised.

As for Ward's supposed slickness: where was it against...well, anyone he's fought since the Super Six began? Granted I haven't seen the Abraham fight, but against Kessler, Green and Bika Ward was happy to wrestle-sorry, 'WRASSLE'-and headbutt his opponents. I think he should've been made to fight away from home.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

Where did I say that Taylor was in his prime, throughout the fight with Froch he showed far more skill than Ward has thus far and if all you can is that i'm biased towards Froch then go ahead it just shows you up more than me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

sadly i fear it will be Ward points, if it is even close i feel the jusdges will give it to Ward. Showtime want him, he is the Olympic champ and in the States they literally think he is the first SOG. Which is a little strange as he fights ugly, and couldnt draw flies anywhere outside of his dads family BBQ. That said Ward is slick and can mix up his styles so should win if he fights smart,

Froch please please prove me wrong

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

I think ward will quit. Look beyond the brash warrior quotes and he gives a bit away. No fighter does, but he has stated twice that I have read that he doesn't like being hit and wants his marbles intact for post boxing preacher career. If froch gets him in a rough house battle and takes a few chances ward will want nothing of it. Just like haye wasn't prepared to get hurt to get close to wlad, ward will not like someone as relentless and hard as froch.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

I'm starting to lean a little towards Froch in this one come to think of it. Actually begin to think Ward may try the toughman approach and become unstuck. Close fight this one close fight.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:08 pm

Think that Froch will hurt Ward more than Ward will Froch, but in terms of output Ward will land slightly more clean shots which will be enough to take a decision.
Serioiusly hope Carl pulls of a a KO, as i feel with the amount of uppercuts he has thrown in recent fights that have failed to connect, then the law of percentages may be applied. Especially as Ward looks as though as he could be a sucker for it the way he comes in and holds.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:23 am

one thing is for sure ward can no way KO froch, think he will win a SD but i would bet my house to the person who voted KO to ward that they will be wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pugilist Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:10 pm

Unfortunately I can't see it going any way other than a UD for Ward if the fight goes to the final bell, if it doesn't go the distance I think Ward will be the one on the canvas.

I'd love to Froch to pull off another magic late round stoppage. Froch has a solid chin, if Kessler couldn't knock him out, I can't see Ward doing it. Froch has heart, so you can't ever write him off.
The Pugilist
The Pugilist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

Has Ward be down before, or on unsteady legs?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Has Ward be down before, or on unsteady legs?

Dunno about whole career, but not since the start of the S6. Hard to wobble a guy when he's hugging you and headbutting you in the face, I suppose.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

ward has been down early in his career, cant recall who against but he has been down early on i think

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 08 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:ward has been down early in his career, cant recall who against but he has been down early on i think

He was decked by Darnell Boone, a light punching journeyman. He was competing at MW at the time though.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:58 pm

I think Froch has to up his work-rate to have any chance of a points win. I know he has improved on this, based on the Abraham and Johnson fights, but due to the US bias that will probably be there, he has to look to take away every reason IMO for them to side with Ward.

In my opinion, this isn't helped by his style in general, with his hands held low etc, it makes him look more casual than he actually is, and may count against him in the judges eyes in the US. It would be interesting if Froch was to give Ward a taste of his own medicane if things get rough, but Froch must make sure he doesn't let rounds slip by, which he can have a tendancy to do from what I've seen.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

Presser today, anyone have SS on?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

Though i've gone with Ward UD, i would like to think that Froch's camp know all the cards are going to be stacked in Wards favour when it comes to the judges and the ref.

So he should be under no illusion that he going to have to take the fight to Ward and try to maintain a high pace over the 12 rounds. Any 50/50 rounds and they're Ward's so it going to be a very tough nights work for him.

If hew comes out the block fast in the early rounds he just may keep the momentum and surpise everyone with a UD win of his own.

Good luck to him.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

kevchadders wrote:Though i've gone with Ward UD, i would like to think that Froch's camp know all the cards are going to be stacked in Wards favour when it comes to the judges and the ref.

So he should be under no illusion that he going to have to take the fight to Ward and try to maintain a high pace over the 12 rounds. Any 50/50 rounds and they're Ward's so it going to be a very tough nights work for him.

If hew comes out the block fast in the early rounds he just may keep the momentum and surpise everyone with a UD win of his own.

Good luck to him.

Would agree with this, I've also gone with a Ward UD but that's only because i also believe the officiating will be bias. Froch needs to start like an animal and not stop.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

i actually think froch will take this one. no doubt ward will headbutt hold and foul his way through, but i just think that froch has the experience to corner ward eventually or trap him on the rope and force a stoppage, probably late on and probably whilst behind on the cards. dont think ward can stand there and trade or run off effectivly all night. only worring point is froch cannot afford to coast rounds or drop his workrate.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

It is all about workrate for Froch if he is going to win this, needs to fight like he did in championship rounds v Johnson but in every round. Kessler was to passive and allowed Ward to punce on him, so was AA. Froch wont do that, and every time Ward throws froch needs to answer with combo's. Hit arms,gloves or whatever. Draw Ward into a fight. COME ON COBRA!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

That is true, Sean, he really needs to swarm Ward. However, I've never seen enough from Carl to sway my belief on this one, and I see him performing exactly how he usually does - which is very good, but a little too inactive, leading to a clear points loss.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Mon 22 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peh2PSyoxPc

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

Cheers Herman.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:15 pm

Beam me up Scotty.

You're welcome mate. I really shouldn't drink and post at the same time.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down