The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection

+16
glamorganalun
RubyGuby
Dominic Dicoco
flyhalffactory
Draigoch
Smirnoffpriest
irnbrew
Knackeredknees
wales606
ScarletSpiderman
deadfred
Seagultaf
MBTGOG
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection Empty Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/8673690/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-Gavin-Henson-to-get-chance-to-impress-for-Wales-against-England.html

Henson is likely to be selected at inside centre alongside Jamie Roberts, with Lloyd Williams partnering James Hook at half-back and George North, 19, on the wing.

Josh Turnbull, 23, the Scarlets flanker and Toby Faletau, the 20-year-old Dragons No8, are also expected to be included in the Welsh pack. Gatland will name his starting line-up on Thursday.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection Empty Re: Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

I'm not sure about that midfield. It could work, but I have my doubts.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection Empty Re: Josh Turnbull and Faletau starting for Wales this weekend in what appears an experimental selection

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:53 am

mm,

So if thats as read then I would fill in the gaps like this:

Jenkins Burns Jones
AWJ Davies
Turnbull Faletau Warburton (c)

Williams Hook

Stoddard Henson Roberts North

Byrne

Bench

James Owens Delve R Jones Knoyle Halfpenny S Jones

Thats how I would go even if we all know Bennett will start and Phillips likely to be on bench.

Williams and Hook are certainly an attacking half back pairing.

We all know Henson will get as much game time as poss.

Would love to see Halfpenny given bit of time at XV off the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:53 am

The midfield selection is interesting. It has potential but that's only if Henson plays a creative role and Roberts is used in a smarter way.

Looking forward to seeing Williams playing.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:56 am

Looks like a shadow team to assess players on the edge of the squad. Expect a drubbing and revenge for Wales if they pick a first choice 15 for the return fixture.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

Please, please let us use Jamie Roberts as a dummy runner for once. A few backline moves off first-phase ball would be nice, too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

Pleased to see that Lloyd Williams is getting a proper chance, but his first cap in a Welsh shirt is starting at Twickenham...talk about daunting! Hope the youngsters who've never played there aren't too overawed, this will be a big ask for a lot of them.

If England pick Banahan in the centre, they'll be targetting Henson a lot for sure I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:09 am

Seagultaf wrote:Looks like a shadow team to assess players on the edge of the squad. Expect a drubbing and revenge for Wales if they pick a first choice 15 for the return fixture.

Sea,

If Gatland filled in the gaps like I have there then you could say that 9 of those players (Jenkins, A Jones, AWJ, Davies, Warburton, Hook, Roberts, North and Byrne) would be seen as first choice so its over half the team.

Whoever we pick at hooker isn't going to be 1st choice due to Rees' injury but as long as its not Bennett.

We haven't got a out n out contender for No8 or 9 at the mo with people picking different players on all threads.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

Just had a thought Williams 9, Hook 10, Henson 12 - they are none of them the strongest defensively. If they do indeed start I'm not expecting this match to be very pretty for us at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:31 am

rugby,

Henson aside as we don't really know what form or fitness he has.

But lots have been calling for Hook at 10 with a speedier distributor at 9 which Williams is.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

I am excited to see what this line up can do good to see some fresh faces in there.

I expect that Adam Jones will partner Gethin Jenkins or Paul James with Bennett as Hooker, AW Jones and Brad Davies in the second row. Warburton is already announced as captain so he will be the third back rower.

I would have thought that the back three would likely be Shane Williams, George North and Lee Byrne.

James
Bennett
Jones
AWJ
BD
Turnbull
Warburton
Faletau
Williams
Hook
Williams
Henson
Roberts
North
Byrne

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

It's a good selection by Gatland. We need to attack and use our new found fitness from Poland. Also, thell be in black with the sun shining so thell get hotter then there used too and with any luck wilt.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

Lets not jump the gun on what a jurno second guesses.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Lets not jump the gun on what a jurno second guesses.
Understandably SS

This is all mere speculation.

But its the only hint of what the team maybe in the press this morning...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Just had a thought Williams 9, Hook 10, Henson 12 - they are none of them the strongest defensively. If they do indeed start I'm not expecting this match to be very pretty for us at all.

Well the only 'better' defensive SH would be Phillips - but that is because he is a flanker... L.Williams is as good if not better tackler than R.Rees/D.Peel (not sure about Tavis - although I remember him being flaky in defense a few times)

Hook was poor in defense when he was carrying a shoulder injury, not sure how he will do now. He still isnt the worst defensive 10.

Surely if Henson is fully fit and has been working on contact, he would be our best defensive centre?

9. Williams
10. Hook

Now thats a halfback pairing to look forward too Smile, finally 2 quick halfbacks.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

Also, will Turnball be playing 6?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

I think Hook's last start at 10 (against France) put to rest any pretence that he is an international 10!

Williams is 4th choice scrum half and Henson showed against the Baa Baas that he is a long way from being a test starter.

Faletau is very promising but green and Turnbull is more a 7 than a 6.

Shades of 2007 and Gareth Jenkins ill fated experiment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:52 am

wales606 wrote:Also, will Turnball be playing 6?

I presume that this idea is to play with two 7s...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:52 am

Wales 606 - Hook has not been up to much in defence since his shoulder injury either. Also Henson needed Steve Jones to 'rescue' him in defence a handful of times against the Baabaas, and was out of position so many times, that it was painful to watch.

However, if Gats is selecting the players that are aluded to, I think that defence is not really in his mind, more about attack, and we will score more than you attitude.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

I suspect the flankers may play the old left/right pattern but Warburton is just as happy at 6 as he is at 7 so if Turnbull is selected at 7 then it won't be any shakes to Sam.

I think this is a good selection with, as I suggested possibly 9 first choice players on the field.

The Hook/Jones debate will always rage so it will please the Hook at 10 brigade and I haven't seen Phillips picked in many (if any) team by us fans on here.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:12 am

If the 9, 10, 12 and 13 are as predicted and we win at Twickenham, it'll be interesting to see who Gatland plays in those positions in the return match.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wales 606 - Hook has not been up to much in defence since his shoulder injury either. Also Henson needed Steve Jones to 'rescue' him in defence a handful of times against the Baabaas, and was out of position so many times, that it was painful to watch.

However, if Gats is selecting the players that are aluded to, I think that defence is not really in his mind, more about attack, and we will score more than you attitude.

Scarletspiderman
is'nt that a big step back to the late 90's early 00's for wales, as you may attack attack and score trys but if your defence is as watertight as a sieve and the oppositions defence IS watertight. for every fantastic flowing back move that does score you've let 3 in??

And is there no other fulback apart from Bryne, on area where there is no strengh in depth at international level for wales

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I suspect the flankers may play the old left/right pattern but Warburton is just as happy at 6 as he is at 7 so if Turnbull is selected at 7 then it won't be any shakes to Sam.

Really? The last time I saw him play 6 he was anonomous.

He is considered an out and out 7 at the Blues, when Martyn plays, Warbs is usually on the bench rather than at 6.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

wales606 wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Just had a thought Williams 9, Hook 10, Henson 12 - they are none of them the strongest defensively. If they do indeed start I'm not expecting this match to be very pretty for us at all.

Well the only 'better' defensive SH would be Phillips - but that is because he is a flanker... L.Williams is as good if not better tackler than R.Rees/D.Peel (not sure about Tavis - although I remember him being flaky in defense a few times)

Hook was poor in defense when he was carrying a shoulder injury, not sure how he will do now. He still isnt the worst defensive 10.

Surely if Henson is fully fit and has been working on contact, he would be our best defensive centre?

9. Williams
10. Hook

Now thats a halfback pairing to look forward too Smile, finally 2 quick halfbacks.

Do you not remember the France match? Hook was awful in defence.

Do you not remember the BaaBaa's match? Henson was awful in defence. Not just positionally but he physically was bounced of so many tackles it was painful to watch.

Lloyd Williams has a superb pass on him but he is very small, I would only play him if we had stronger defensive units at 10 and 12. Would love to have seen him paired up with Jones to be honest.

It's all well and good having 2 quick halfbacks, but they need to be able to defend as well!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

I like the Idea of Turnbull, Warburton and Faletau in that they are all versatile, they are all quick, they can mix it up.

I think in the modern game where it is all about competing at breakdowns having more foragers in your backrow is better than few.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

wales606 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I suspect the flankers may play the old left/right pattern but Warburton is just as happy at 6 as he is at 7 so if Turnbull is selected at 7 then it won't be any shakes to Sam.

He is considered an out and out 7 at the Blues, when Martyn plays, Warbs is usually on the bench rather than at 6.

He is seen as the 1st choice No7 at the Blues now but when he was coming through he played 6 regulalry with Williams at 7.

Iwouldn't pick him at N06 ahead of Lydiate but wouldn't have a problem with him playing there. Like said maybe they will do the left/right pattern OR Turnbull maybe selected at 6 anyway.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:55 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
wales606 wrote:

He is seen as the 1st choice No7 at the Blues now but when he was coming through he played 6 regulalry with Williams at 7.

Iwouldn't pick him at N06 ahead of Lydiate but wouldn't have a problem with him playing there. Like said maybe they will do the left/right pattern OR Turnbull maybe selected at 6 anyway.

Bedford mate,

I think we all know what Lydiate can do, Turnbull hasnt had too much of an opportunity as yet, but he has had an impressive season for the Scarlets and I dont think he will let us down.

The Dynamics of the Welsh back row are changing though from the typical blindside, openside and number eight roles we are accustomed to due to the emergence of more versatile athletic players.

A good thing in my eyes and you have to design a game plan in defence and attack that suits your attributes, I think Gatland and his team are doing that quite well...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

mm,

I agree, I think giving Sam a run at No6 won't be a problem if Turnbull is more of a No7.

I can't really think of the last time we had so many options at 6, 7 or 8 which is good.

As I have said if he fills the gaps like I have then I will be happy as there are still fair share of what most would consider 1st teamers in there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

boys why are you all assuming that what one reporter has written is a fact about Turnbull and toby .Lets just wait until Thursday .I do not believe that Gatland will tinker too much with his best side that time has past and in my opinion for what it,s worth i think Gatland will play hie best 15 to start and may be give one or two of the fringe players a bit of time but that will depend on how the game is gowing

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

If (and it's a big IF to go on one journalists comment from yesterday) Turnbull plays I imagine he'd play at 6 (or as a left/right flanker with Warbs), as he plays 6 and 7 for Scarlets as well as left/right flanker. Warbs would then stay as 7, which would give stability to the back row, and he is best at 7.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Irnbrew and Smirnoff, (This is like addressing a Glaswegan Drinks order)...!

The credibility of the Journalists source is hardly relevant to discussing the permutations. It is just interesting debate.

As mentioned above, the quantity and quality of the conundrum in the back row in interesting, I would hope that Gatland and Co. are considering everything but the staple players, and I thought many of you were too as there seems to be so much contemplation on these boards surrounding the areas of back row, half back and center for the forth coming RWC. Duly identified by all as Wales's key areas for concern. Not necessarily lack of strength in depth, more a number of interesting variables.

The fact that so many posters interested in the welsh teams selection were concerned with these areas persuaded me to provide what i thought was an interesting link.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

If we do play Williams-Hook-Henson then I'm not too worried about defense.

Williams is a scrum-half for gawds sake, awesome defense is a bonus. Even saying this I've not really seen him be tested on this front, let him have a chance. Hook won't knock anyone back or turn ball over, but he will make his tackles. Gav's new found defensive frailties are all in the mind I think, still scared of injury or adjusting to rugby again. Hopefully the beasting in Poland will have sorted that out.

Roberts can keep an eye on Banahan and Tindall coming in, and he is our best defender in the back line.

I think England's threat comes from the half-back break and then support from guess who. If we shut down Care-Flood then that's the most important thing. Since they will try and break through speed and guile that's something Williams-Hook-Henson should be able to deal with.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:16 pm

Apologies Maesteg - just seemed like it was beign taken as red that that's what the team would be - as opposed to,as you say, just talking about combinations.

And Draigcoch that's why I'm worried - the speed of Care-Flood means any missed tackles from Hook (who does miss a few) could be ruthlessly exploited

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

Draigoch wrote:If we do play Williams-Hook-Henson then I'm not too worried about defense.

Williams is a scrum-half for gawds sake, awesome defense is a bonus. Even saying this I've not really seen him be tested on this front, let him have a chance. Hook won't knock anyone back or turn ball over, but he will make his tackles. Gav's new found defensive frailties are all in the mind I think, still scared of injury or adjusting to rugby again. Hopefully the beasting in Poland will have sorted that out.

Roberts can keep an eye on Banahan and Tindall coming in, and he is our best defender in the back line.

I think England's threat comes from the half-back break and then support from guess who. If we shut down Care-Flood then that's the most important thing. Since they will try and break through speed and guile that's something Williams-Hook-Henson should be able to deal with.

If Tindall/Banahan play in the midfield along with Flood/Young or Care with Moody fast out of the set piece then firstly based on

1. Hooks last performance against France where I have never seen a worse defensive performance in a Welsh 10 shirt
2. Hensons performance against the Baa Baas I have never seen a Welsh player duck out of tackles before, and the one or two tackles he did make were paper thin

Then I would not be sleeping at all, the only saving grace you will have is Williams is very confident and damn quick on distribution

Tindall and Banahan are going to have a walk in the park, and Moody if on form is going to have a field day with Hook, Roberts will have Déjà vu thinking of the last time he was with these guys alongside him ............... I will really feel for him, trying cover both centres
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Apologies Maesteg - just seemed like it was beign taken as red that that's what the team would be - as opposed to,as you say, just talking about combinations.

And Draigcoch that's why I'm worried - the speed of Care-Flood means any missed tackles from Hook (who does miss a few) could be ruthlessly exploited

Yes Hook can miss the odd tackle as can just about every OH on the planet including SJ. But because SJ is viewed as a safer option lets just stick with him and continue to have no cutting edge at HB. In-fact as some suggest lets play in the WC with our most talented player, Hook, sat on the bench.

Soon the Hook-SJ debate will be dead and buried and we can just all enjoy our talismanic 60-capped outside half from Perpignion pulling the strings for the next four years. I was at twickenham the last time we won and if we had played SJ it would not have happened. In-fact look at our loosing streak over the last 14 months and see how many times SJ has started those loosing games and has been completely ineffectual.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Draigoch wrote:If we do play Williams-Hook-Henson then I'm not too worried about defense.

If Tindall/Banahan play in the midfield along with Flood/Young or Care with Moody fast out of the set piece then firstly based on

1. Hooks last performance against France where I have never seen a worse defensive performance in a Welsh 10 shirt
2. Hensons performance against the Baa Baas I have never seen a Welsh player duck out of tackles before, and the one or two tackles he did make were paper thin

Then I would not be sleeping at all, the only saving grace you will have is Williams is very confident and damn quick on distribution

Tindall and Banahan are going to have a walk in the park, and Moody if on form is going to have a field day with Hook, Roberts will have Déjà vu thinking of the last time he was with these guys alongside him ............... I will really feel for him, trying cover both centres

Yeah ask the England backs who they would rather face between SJ and JH and too a frigin man they would pick SJ - as he is the most predictable OH in the northern and any hemisphere - even if maybe he's better at tackling.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

I agree with this. With Hook, Henson and Roberts in the centre, I cant see England carving us up whenever they get the ball. Certainly with Banahan and Tindall in the centre anyway. Theres not much guile with those two and our players will know that as long as they are agressive in defence, they should be OK.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

Dead Fred - you make no factual claims there - you just say that Hook will definately be our outside half after the WC and will definately be our starting OH for the next 4 years.

You also state confidently that every English player would much prefer to play against SJ. Then say that he is the reason we lost most of our games over a 14 month period.

I mean please use some facts or at least justify your views, also try and realise that Hook has weaknesses like any other player and it's as much about how his strengths and weaknesses fit into the team and how they relate to the oppositions strengths and weaknesses.

The fact that England have strong runners and fast half backs and Hook has a weak defence might lead some people to think that maybe he isn't the best bet against England. And the fact that England have a strong well organised defence with powerful tacklers in the midfield would make me think Hook won't be able to dance through them - but I may be wrong there.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Dominic Dicoco wrote:

I agree with this. With Hook, Henson and Roberts in the centre, I cant see England carving us up whenever they get the ball. Certainly with Banahan and Tindall in the centre anyway. Theres not much guile with those two and our players will know that as long as they are agressive in defence, they should be OK.

Aren't you worried if Henson puts in a defensive display as inept as against the Ba Ba's, and Hook can't manage to stop and elusive Young or the power of Tindall/Banaham/Hape, then England could have a field day?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

deadfred wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Yeah ask the England backs who they would rather face between SJ and JH and too a frigin man they would pick SJ - as he is the most predictable OH in the northern and any hemisphere - even if maybe he's better at tackling.

Yeah well sniff sort sniff fr1gging hell mun.............. well let me go and ask every fr1gging English Player personally what they think of the most fr1gging talented fr1gging player ever to come out of fr1gging Wales for the last figging 1000 yrs, and yes of course Tindal/Banahan/Flood/Young would all want to fr1gging get hurt by fr1gging Jones tackles.

And fr1gging funny because when he is fr1gging orchestrating the fr1gging Scarlets they are called the best fr1gging attacking team in the fr1gging ML, now what fr1gging predictable about fr1gging that................ as opposed to Hook been as fr1gging predictable as they fr1gging come in the midfield for the Os last season............. damn I missed a fr1gging there

You fr1gging best get some meat on the fr1gging bone before you totally embarress your fr1gging self.......... Sonny
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

You fr1gging best get some meat on the fr1gging bone before you totally embarress your fr1gging self.......... Sonny

Dad - where to you think i get this bad language from? Personally I don't care if Master Jones runs around like superman when he plays for the Scarlets if he cant perform and get things going when playing for Wales. Its what he does in a Welsh jersey that counts - that and nothing else in terms of him playing for Wales. He has played well at times for Wales but not for a long time and however much you 'love' him father at the top level he is found wanting many more times then then not. Yes he can kick penalties (sometimes) and tackles well and alwasy runs into contact and manages to hold onto the ball - so he is not all bad he's just not very good anymore unfortunately and Hook is simply a much better option.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

fr1gging he11 FHF!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

So Dead Fred - you don't see Hook playing like he did against France when we play England?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:So Dead Fred - you don't see Hook playing like he did against France when we play England?

Hook is our best 10 and he needs to simply play there. Like most players he will have better and worse performances but overall his contribution will be more effective and we wont beat the big teams if we keep on playing SJ at 10.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

Dead

There's a saying "if you say it often enough it must be true" so you keep telling yourself that Hook is a better all round 10 than Jones

Meat on the bone sonny, told you dont' embarress yourself

Look at Hooks' last game against France if you want to see a flyhalf performance as bad as you could imagine he was dire, and he didnt make many creative moves in fact very very few all season, one hand off try against England (that was a great run in fact), two runs against Italy and 20 mins against us....... in fact (when we hadn't got out of 1st gear)

If you can prove to the forum that Hook has done anything more than that last season then please tell us.

And then I will reveal some creative play that Jones has done both in a Red and Scarlet top last season
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:fr1gging he11 FHF!

I know...............well Smirnoff when some child starts swearing and throwing his toys out of the pram.............. then you have to resort to their level or ignore them

Yes I know I should have ignored him!!!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

hmmm - I think SJ is a very good and severely underated performer who orchastrates games and we won't beat teams unless we amend our tactics and personal to best meet the challenges of the big teams.
Both players have their strengths and weaknesses, and I believe Hooks strengths lend him more to being a centre, but as he is at 10 now he should stay there.
But you have to agree when pressured he does tend to make bad decisions, like in the french game, and he isn't the best when faced with physical teams, on the back of slow ball.

"we wont beat the big teams if we keep on playing SJ at 10."

I would say we would have done a lot worse without SJ protecting the ball when he'd have hospital passes from MP, after the age MP would take getting the ball from the rucks.

I am worried about the results of Englands big direct players running straight at Hook

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

I know...............well Smirnoff when some child starts swearing and throwing his toys out of the pram.............. then you have to resort to their level or ignore them

LOL

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Apologies Maesteg - just seemed like it was beign taken as red that that's what the team would be - as opposed to,as you say, just talking about combinations.

No probs mate ha ha ha, should have worded it better, i presume the Journo thought he had a decent source but as you reminded us lets wait until thursday as this may be a Gatland red herring trying to encourage johnson to make a few softer decisions...

Smirnoffpriest wrote:And Draigcoch that's why I'm worried - the speed of Care-Flood means any missed tackles from Hook (who does miss a few) could be ruthlessly exploited

Regarding the concept of lloyd n' Hook though they are pretty speedy customers too, lloyd is a bright young kid and i doubt england can do too much research on him if he is playing. Good luck to him, I dont think he has many deficiencies but we will only know when we see him play.

Personally, ignoring the current hype surrounding him, I would prefer to see Knoyle given the start. I think he is the player we need at 9.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

LOL

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next