The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 39-man Squad named

+12
formerly known as Sam
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Turkster
nottins_jones
Luckless Pedestrian
ScarletSpiderman
nottins
MonkeyOwain12
Dominic Dicoco
Artful_Dodger
wales606
munkian
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales 39-man Squad named  Empty Wales 39-man Squad named

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Wales coach Warren Gatland has named the 39-man squad which will meet at the WRU National Centre of Excellence on Monday in preparation for the Rugby World Cup-warm up clash with England at Twickenham next weekend.
Gatland and his coaching team will select the match-day 22 from this squad and announce the side for the first of three RWC-warm up matches this summer on Thursday 4 August.
Wales face England at Twickenham on Saturday 6 August before hosting the old enemy in the return fixture at the Millennium Stadium seven days later.

Argentina provide the final opposition on home soil on Saturday 20 August, before a 30-man Wales squad for the 2011 RWC in New Zealand is named two days later.

Ospreys flanker Jonathan Thomas, Sale Sharks back row Andy Powell, Blues prop Scott Andrews and Scarlets hooker Ken Owens, who all took part in Wales' first pre-RWC training camp in Poland, but not the second, have all returned to put themselves in contention for selection against England.

The rest of the 35-man squad, which made the second trip to Poland, including Melbourne Rebels flanker Gareth Delve who joined up late, have all been retained - with the exception of Rob McCusker who has struggled with back problems.

Gatland and his coaches will name the side to face England, based on this squad, but players who remain outside of it may still be involved in future warm-up matches and could still be a part of the 2011 RWC campaign.

"The team to face England at Twickenham will be selected from this training squad," said Gatland.

"We have established a nucleus of players who will form our RWC squad based on their performances in training over recent weeks, but it is now time to translate those efforts onto the field. The players have worked hard, but places in that final world cup squad are still very much up for grabs and a lot will depend on what we see over the course of these next three games.

"We have not shied away from facing the top quality opposition in preparation for this world cup and it doesn't come much tougher than facing the 2003 World Cup winners and 2007 finalists on their home patch. The warm-up fixtures will be tough, but we are in a really tough group at the world cup and replicating those conditions can, ultimately, only be of benefit to us."

Fans can watch the squad in action as soon as next Tuesday, 2nd August, when Millennium Stadium doors will be thrown open for a 'free to enter' training session from 2.30pm - for more information and to register to attend visit www.wru.co.uk/watchwales4free.

"Tickets for Wales' clash with England at the Millennium Stadium are priced £30 and tickets to the Wales versus Argentina game (both kick-offs 2.30pm), which are on a 'buy one get one free' promotion, are priced at £25 and all are available online at www.wru.co.uk/tickets or by calling the ticket hotlines 08442 777 888 or 02920 230130 or at local Tesco stores."

RWC 2011 Preliminary 39-Man Squad:

Scott Andrews, Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Lloyd Burns (Dragons), Huw Bennett, Ryan Bevington, Adam Jones, Paul James (Ospreys), Ken Owens, Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs).

Bradley Davies, Sam Warburton, Martyn Williams (Blues), Luke Charteris, Danny Lydiate, Toby Faletau (Dragons), Ryan Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull, (Scarlets), Gareth Delve (Melbourne Rebels), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks).

Michael Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets)

Jamie Roberts (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan) Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams (Scarlets) Gavin Henson (unattached)

Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Lee Byrne (Clermont Auvergne), Aled Brew (Dragons), Shane Williams (Ospreys), George North, Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets).

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Retitled thread - so it makes more sense when I give it a push on Twitter)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales 39-man Squad named  Empty Re: Wales 39-man Squad named

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

Any predictions on which 9 will be cut or who you would cut ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales 39-man Squad named  Empty Wales Preliminary WC Squad

Post by wales606 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

http://www.wru.co.uk/26970.php

Gatland has cut the 45 man squad to 39 for the 3 warm up games.

Scott Andrews, Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Lloyd Burns (Dragons), Huw Bennett, Ryan Bevington, Adam Jones, Paul James (Ospreys), Ken Owens, Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs).

Bradley Davies, Sam Warburton, Martyn Williams (Blues), Luke Charteris, Danny Lydiate, Toby Faletau (Dragons), Ryan Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull, (Scarlets), Gareth Delve (Melbourne Rebels), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks).

Michael Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets)

Jamie Roberts (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan) Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams (Scarlets) Gavin Henson (unattached)

Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Lee Byrne (Clermont Auvergne), Aled Brew (Dragons), Shane Williams (Ospreys), George North, Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets).

Interestingly, R.Rees has not returned (unfortunately Powell has) and L.Williams looks set to go to the WC as 3rd choice SH all thanks to the bouncers at McDonalds....
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

Get rid of Mike Phillips, he's rubbish.

Strongest looking selection of backrowers that Wales have had for a while.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

Ooops, I posted the same thing a minute after you....my bad

R.Rees and Peel havent made the cut, so im guessing that they will take those 3 SHs to the WC. - L.Williams will be thanking the bouncers at McDonalds Smile
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

He isn't rubbish, he's just not a scrum half. Good flanker though.

Powell, JT and Huw Bennett can jog on
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

wales606 wrote:Ooops, I posted the same thing a minute after you....my bad

R.Rees and Peel havent made the cut, so im guessing that they will take those 3 SHs to the WC. - L.Williams will be thanking the bouncers at McDonalds Smile

Dim problem.

And isnt Peel just not able to play due to his club ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:54 pm

I am suprised Brew has made it, good to see though. I really thought we had seen the end of Powell and JT, they just seem to stick around.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

Some genuine excitement seeing some of those players!!

Surely he'll take 3 SH, wouldn't discount Peel yet and there's bound to be oneor two injuries with others filling the void.

September and October are going to be awesome, not just for the WC but the Pro12 will be brilliant viewing with so many young guys geting opportunities.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

munkian wrote:

No. Peel is available to Wales during the IRB defined release period.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

Actually, I think the IRB release date isnt untill the last warm up game (I think I read that somewhere) - Yet, Delve has been released...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

nottins wrote:
munkian wrote:

I was'nt saying its not fair etc etc, I was saying he isnt avaliable rather than been cut
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

I thought the IRB release date was somewhere around the 4th August? So Peel should be definitely available for the last 2 summer warm up matches.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

munkian wrote:
nottins wrote:
munkian wrote:

I was'nt saying its not fair etc etc, I was saying he isnt avaliable rather than been cut

Ain't Andy Pandy at the same club???
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

Yep he is, but he's only recently joined, not sure whether that makes a difference, maybe he's got some sort of clause.

Can't think of any other 'wilcard' type selections, maybe Fussell or somebody like the Dragons Winger/Centre (head guard) Cannot remember his name at all!!

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Why would Lloyd Williams be thanking the bouncers at McDonald's? They didn't sit on Richie Rees!

Not overjoyed to see the dynamic duo of Jonathan Thomas and Andy Powell back. Jonathan Thomas especially.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

"Ospreys flanker Jonathan Thomas, Sale Sharks back row Andy Powell, Blues prop Scott Andrews and Scarlets hooker Ken Owens, who all took part in Wales' first pre-RWC training camp in Poland, but not the second, have all returned to put themselves in contention for selection against England."

Oh FFS. Honestly, what will it take for JT, Powell, Andrews and Bennet to be dropped from the squad? They've shown for the past couple seasons that they are not up to the standard required.
Doh
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

MonkeyOwain12 wrote:Yep he is, but he's only recently joined, not sure whether that makes a difference, maybe he's got some sort of clause.

Can't think of any other 'wilcard' type selections, maybe Fussell or somebody like the Dragons Winger/Centre (head guard) Cannot remember his name at all!!

Adam Hughes. Looks like a bit of a Brian O'Driscoll. Too soon for him. Definitely not Fussell, lay off the sauce pal.

Btw, I think Andy is available due to the clause in his previous contract with Wasps. May have signed a similar one with Sale but they shouldn't want or require him immediately should they?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

Summer holidays mate, the sauce is all I've got!! appletini

Not saying I think they should be, but there's always some sort of wildcard entry due to injury, but maybe the 39 man squad is big enough.

Suppose Scott Williams or Lloyd Williams are pretty wildcard!!

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

Adam Hughes has come on amazingly in the last season but I dont think hes big enough for Test rugby, at least in coaches eyes.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

You just know that the backrow for at least one game is going to be JT, Nugget and Powell, with Huw Bennet completing a rather miserable day for Welsh fans and another 'slagging off the Welsh' thread started by Portnoy or whoever, happy days eh? Rolling Eyes

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

munkian wrote:Adam Hughes has come on amazingly in the last season but I dont think hes big enough for Test rugby, at least in coaches eyes.

I like do like the look of Hughes, but if he does make it at international level, I think it will be at centre. He doesn't seem to have the gas to play wing at that level.

Last edited by Dominic Dicoco on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Turkster wrote:You just know that the backrow for at least one game is going to be JT, Nugget and Powell, with Huw Bennet completing a rather miserable day for Welsh fans and another 'slagging off the Welsh' thread started by Portnoy or whoever, happy days eh? Rolling Eyes

Wow, what a downer that is. It is inevitable.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

Got to say that is one seriously strong looking squad,can't wait for the England game.

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

I think he has plenty of gas. Also, he's the same height as BOD. If he can bulk but keep his pace, awareness and skills then he could be a good 13. You all know how much we need one of those. He's not shy of tackling atm either.

Monkey... Perhaps Gavin Henson is the wildcard?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

nottins_jones wrote:I think he has plenty of gas. Also, he's the same height as BOD. If he can bulk but keep his pace, awareness and skills then he could be a good 13. You all know how much we need one of those. He's not shy of tackling atm either.

Monkey... Perhaps Gavin Henson is the wildcard?

I think at 13 he will be more than quick enough. Maybe I am just hoping we don't send him out to the wing, because as you said, we do need a 13 who can actually beat the guy opposite him.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

Yeah. We also have enough wingers too. I think the Dragons will be keeping him at 13. He'd be good in a Wales midfield outside Davies or Roberts. There's also talk of North moving to 13 too. I was for the idea at first, but perhaps he should stay on the wing unless we really need him to move in field due to injuries mounting up.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

Pretty sure that Craig Mitchell's new contract at the Chiefs starts post-RWC, so he isn't in fact bound by a contract at the moment (assuming his O's one expired?) - maybe Powell is the same OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

I know North wants to play in the centre, but haven't heard anything from Nigel and the rest of the coaches to suggest they'll move him there. Only as injury cover perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

I know he played most of the age grade rugby there. I would like to see him there for the Scarlets.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

Dominic Dicoco wrote:I know he played most of the age grade rugby there. I would like to see him there for the Scarlets.

no chance, not with Scott Williams and Nick Reynolds coming through, as well as Jonathan Davies there.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

It's possible he could feature there. What's good (or maybe not good?) about a lot of the Scarlets backline is that quite a few of the players are comfortable playing in more than one position, whether it be on the wing or in centre. Allows for more options I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

I think Powell's contract with Sale begins after his involvement with the Welsh RWC squad ends so technically he's not under contract at the minute as Wasps released at the end of last season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

Formerly Sam - I'd heard that as well - I think a few players who've moved this season have the same sort of arrangement. Unlucky for Wales I guess in Powells case.

I just can't believe how those 3 players (Powell, JT and HB) keep sticking to the Welsh squad like s... to your shoe! It's time Gats wiped them off and binned them.

I'm also worried that he'll drop Burns (and Owens) for a Hibbert without much fitness/gametime (though I would like him to go) and Bennett.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

Out of the 9 that is going to lose out, what are the chances of Gavin Henson losing out.......Slim, Some chance, or NO chance at all.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Yeah. We also have enough wingers too. I think the Dragons will be keeping him at 13. He'd be good in a Wales midfield outside Davies or Roberts. There's also talk of North moving to 13 too. I was for the idea at first, but perhaps he should stay on the wing unless we really need him to move in field due to injuries mounting up.

I hope so, with the wingers we have in Wales, he is average/good. But if he can play at centre with all that place then we would be a useful option at centre as he would bring something new, we have needed a bit more pace in the midfield ever since Shank aged...

I hope Powell and Bennett are sent home. If R.J is considered as a backup lock option then there is no need for JT either.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:22 pm

Wales606
If R.J is considered as a backup lock option then there is no need for JT either..

I think you could just have said "there is no need for JT either"

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

I think JT is slightly more useful than Powell or HB

He was good at 8 for the O's at the beginning of the season and he can cover 4,5,6 and 8 - He isnt spectacular, but he can tackle etc
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

When JT plays well the guy has an absolute stormer. That's about once in 20 games though; for the rest he doesn't do much good. I think McCusker's a better player/athlete who not only offers a bit of back-row versatility but links up well with captain Matthew Rees.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:39 pm

If only gatland thought like that nottins. To b honest id b perfectly happy with any of the flankers over jt or powell

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 30 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

Expect Gatland to look to take players who, even though they may not be the best in their position are versitile enough to effectively cover other positions.

Examples are: Stoddard, Halfpenny, Henson, Hook, Priestland, James, Ryan Jones, Turnbull, Macusker and JT.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

I would say McCusker is out of the reckoning now, he's got a back problem, I can't see them risking him, could be JT's reprieve, let's just hope he goes as a back-up to the main team. If Halfpenny is fit Stoddard shouldn't be in the squad as he's useless at fullback.

Last edited by Turkster on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

I think I prefer Stoddart at FB to Halfpenny seen as Halfpenny hasnt played FB for a couple of years.

With Lee Byrne's form I wouldnt mind if Stoddart was 1st choice FB

Halfpenny is better on the wing at the moment - his kicking is invaluble and he is a very good all rounder so he should be guarenteed to start in whatever position.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:27 am

I am not sure I agree with Jonathan Thomas and Scott Andrews being included in the deadwood pile. Andrews is young and I think has shown some glimmers of prospect, Thomas had a good season at the Ospreys.

I do agree about Bennett though. He doesn't seem to cut it for either region or for Wales.

I am intrigued to see how the form of other contentious players have developed over the last four weeks of intensive training. Henson, Stephen Jones, Lee Byrne, Shane Williams, Adam Jones, Gethin Jenkins, Ryan Jones, Mike Phillips and Martyn Williams all went into these summer camps with a great deal to prove in my opinion. They should have been challenged by the players vying for their places. Only good can come of that, either we develop a better player and select them, or the old guard will have to step up...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:58 am

Seagultaf wrote:Expect Gatland to look to take players who, even though they may not be the best in their position are versitile enough to effectively cover other positions.

Examples are: Stoddard, Halfpenny, Henson, Hook, Priestland, James, Ryan Jones, Turnbull, Macusker and JT.

The problem with that is that Jonathan Thomas isn't international-class in the back row or at lock. I don't agree with a player getting selected because he's sort-of-good in a few positions but not good enough in any of them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:19 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Expect Gatland to look to take players who, even though they may not be the best in their position are versitile enough to effectively cover other positions.
The problem with that is that Jonathan Thomas isn't international-class in the back row or at lock. I don't agree with a player getting selected because he's sort-of-good in a few positions but not good enough in any of them.
Jonathan Thomas is no more versatile than Rob McCusker, who most posters on here consider a better player. I think it is a moot point. Gatland will select the players who are the most useful and the best at their position.

Why would he do anything else?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

coz he's done it in the past?

And also coz i'm not sure Gatland considers McCusker a better player than JT - even though most people do

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:coz he's done it in the past?

And also coz i'm not sure Gatland considers McCusker a better player than JT - even though most people do

Well it certainly appears that JT is lower down the rankings now, only possibly added back to the squad due to the injury to McCusker. And to be fair there probably isn't a better candidate, or candidates than Powell and JT to replace McCusker in this weeks Squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:18 am

I suppose they are but with the fact that we already have a versatile R Jones, as well as Lydiate, Tupric, Turnbull, Warburton, Williams, Faletau & Delve do we really need both of them?

You make a good point but I think I'm just annoyed coz Gatland has constantly chosen both of them (and other players) when under performing for the past 2 years, and then we get a sniff of gettign rid of them and then he calls them straight back up

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

Two years ago Rob McCusker, Justin Tuperic, Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Toby Faletau and Josh Turnbull weren't in contention so it is hard to justify your example.

You can only pick what you've got.

We are lucky that now we have had a number of players push their way in to contention, Warbs, Lyds and McCusker last year and Faletau, Turnbull and Tuperic this.

Things are looking a lot brighter at the moment, and that seems to be reflected in the Press Statements and interviews coming out of the training camp.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next