The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named

5 posters

Go down

Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named Empty Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:39 pm

Wales Under 20 head coach Danny Wilson has named a 27-man squad to prepare for the Under 20 Six Nations which kicks-off against Ireland at Eirias on Friday, 1 February (7.10pm).

Wales Under 20 Six Nations squad

Forwards: *Ellis Jenkins (capt, Blues / Cardiff), *Nicky Smith (Ospreys / Swansea), *Dan Suter (Ospreys / Bridgend), *Nicky Thomas (Ospreys / Swansea), *Bradley Thyer (Blues / Pontypridd), Ethan Lewis (Blues / Cardiff), *Elliot Dee (Bedwas), Carwyn Jones (Scarlets / Carmarthen), *Jack Jones (Ospreys / Rovigo), *Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys / Swansea), *Ieuan Jones (Dragons / Newport), *Daniel Thomas (Scarlets / Llanelli), *Sion Bennett (Scarlets / Carmarthen), *James Benjamin (Bedwas)

Backs: *Rhodri Williams (Scarlets / Llandovery), Joshua Davies (Dragons / Bedwas), *Rhys Patchell (Blues / Cardiff), Ethan Davies (Bedwas), *Cory Allen (Blues / Cardiff), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets / Llanelli), *Jack Dixon (Dragons / Bedwas), *Thomas Pascoe (Blues / Pontypridd), Ashton Hewitt (Dragons / Newport), Dion Jones (Scarlets / Llanelli), *Harry Robinson (Blues / Cardiff), *Ashley Evans (Ospreys / Bridgend), *Hallam Amos (Dragons / Bedwas)

*Indicates National Academy member

Prop Gareth Thomas (Scarlets / Carmarthen), outside half *Sam Davies (Ospreys / Swansea) and full back *Jordan Williams (Scarlets / Llanelli), who were all part of the Junior World Championship squad last season, are currently unavailable due to injury but will return to the squad injury permitting during the course of the tournament.

Under 20 Six Nations fixtures

Wales Under 20 v Ireland, Friday 1 February 19.10 Eirias, Colwyn Bay
France Under 20 v Wales Sunday 10 February, 14.00 Clermont Ferrand
Italy Under 20 v Wales, Friday 22 February 19.00, Vitterbo
Scotland Under 20 v Wales, Friday 8 March, 19.35, Inverness
Wales Under 20 v England Friday 15 March 19.35 Eirias, Colwyn Bay
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named Empty Re: Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

The U20s front-row last season was the best they have ever had. No idea who the front row will be for this team, anyone shed any light?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named Empty Re: Wales U20 squad: Good back row and backs named

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

What I expect to see:
6. Ellis Jenkins
7. Dan Thomas
8. Ieuan Jones

9. Rhodri Williams
10. Rhys Patchell
11. Harry Robinson
12. Jack Dixon
13. Cory Allen
14. ???
15. Hallam Amos

Only named the players I am familiar with. Rhodri Hughes is a 2nd row that featured in last years team I believe.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:53 pm

I am questioning Rhys Patchell's inclusion.

He is the only U20s player I can think of who is first choice in his position for his region.

That means that he will miss gametime in the Pro12 during the U20s 6N, and more importantly, he will be expected to spend the summer in the U20 WC after a long season in which he will be playing 80minutes in most HC and Pro12 games.

Talk about player burnout at 19.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:02 pm

Firstly, he's 19. His recovery is a lot more efficient at that age. Secondly you have one heineken cup game left, which is next week. Thirdly, that is what any professional player does. Plays domestic rugby, 6 Nations and then either the RWC or summer tour.

Obviously Blues fans may want him to stay with their team, but most others think it is in his best interests and the interests of the U20s that he plays in the U20 Six Nations and JWC.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

Harry Robinson, Patchell, Amos, Rhodri Williams, Jack dixon, Ieuan Jones should all be playing pro 12. What good is it for them to be playing against under 20's when they have already played a number of senior games and proved themselves capable.

By all means select these players for the junior world cup in the summer.

But then howley has suggested that patchell will be on the japanese tour whereas it would surely be better for his development to be playing the under 20's from southern hemisphere in the world cup.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

That's what happened last year and without our best players available the Wales U20s got smashed. Obviously you need the best U20 team to provide the platform to step up to professionalism to a) the younger squad members, b) future generations coming into a winning set-up and environment. Plus in Wales' case, it makes eligible for Wales only. You people must be dumb to question the inclusion of the best available players.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:58 pm

I would be very surprised if Patchell isn't with the senior squad come summer tour.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

I don't think so Morg...

How would players like Patchell, Dixon, Robinson and Amos all develop any better at U20 level opposed to club level??? I think the summer would be far more beneficial to someone like Patchell at U20's rather than tour with the first team though!

Watch out For Jones the no. 8 from the Dragons, this is his season!!! I am a little surprised not to see another one or two forwards from the Dragons!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm

Who said any of that Blues? I believe it was somebody going not by the name of Morg.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

You people must be dumb to question the inclusion of the best available players.

You 30 mins ago!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

Since guys like Halfpenny, North and Prydie every Wales fan seems obsessed with rushing in promising teen-agers. JWC is a different playing field and a good experience for these guys.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm

Jones does look very impressive and hope he can push on as it is more than likely we will lose Toby next year
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:12 pm

Sigh. You accused me of claiming certain players will develop better at U20 level opposed to club level. Your quote that you've quoted me on doesn't back this up either. For your consideration, here is the rest of what I said:

That's what happened last year and without our best players available the Wales U20s got smashed. Obviously you need the best U20 team to provide the platform to step up to professionalism to a) the younger squad members, b) future generations coming into a winning set-up and environment. Plus in Wales' case, it makes eligible for Wales only.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:17 pm

So Morg you are not for certain players to stay at their clubs and gain a furthered experience? Your claiming the U20 6N would be better for them?

bedford

Jones is a beast, I've worked with him and he blows any other age grade player out of the water in the gym!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:21 pm

blues,

I have heard nothing but good things with regards to him and like said we are likely to lose Toby sooner rather than later so he is likely to get his chance ahead of many of his contempories
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

Unless Evans gets moved to 8 which I could definately see with Edwards at the helm!!!

The only problem Jones has is he can be a bit rash at times, and he doesn't seem to be switched on all the time, wether thats an issue of youth that can be overcome I'm not sure.

I did recomend that he see a sport psych last season who could help with his focus, but noone listened at the time!

If he keeps progressing like he was last season though... WOW!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:33 pm

I was a bit sceptical seeing him getting that haircut he had a few weeks ago and straightening his hair before Bayonne, but he is delivering. Tidy player.

Good to see 8 Dragons in the squad. Shows we do produce talent. If only Cement Head would see that a few players would be worth having in the senior squad too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:02 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:So Morg you are not for certain players to stay at their clubs and gain a furthered experience? Your claiming the U20 6N would be better for them?

If the more experienced juniors are in the squad they provide strength and depth. They will help the youngers guys in the squad, the ones who will be there next year to help the next generation of U20s in the team. If our best players aren't playing then we'll get smashed by England and France like last year and everyone will be moaning about it. It seems you can't please the average fan.

These guys have a good chance of claiming the title. IF, they do win then the juniors will come into a winning environment. Seems to work well for England.

I'm not saying it's better for them but it is my preferance. And I highlighted the reasons as to why they might be involved in the U20 set-up.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:28 pm

I've also noticed that Cory Allen has been playing for Wales Sevens. It would be inexcusable for this backline to not be cutting shreads out of the opposition.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down