The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Pacquiao to return

+6
AdamT
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
Herman Jaeger
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Pedro147
10 posters

Go down

Manny Pacquiao to return Empty Manny Pacquiao to return

Post by Pedro147 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:28 am

Here's Fat Dan's piece on ESPN

Manny Pacquiao's retirement sure didn't last long.

Pacquiao plans to come out of a brief sabbatical to fight again on either Oct. 29 or Nov. 5 in the main event of an HBO PPV card in Las Vegas, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Arum said there is no set opponent but that it would not be rumored foe Adrien Broner, the outspoken former four-division titlist, because Broner's asking price was a "crazy number."

Although Pacquiao announced his retirement from boxing following a superb performance in a unanimous decision victory in his third fight against Timothy Bradley Jr. on April 9, few believed it would stick. And it hasn't.

However, after the win against Bradley, Pacquiao, who had been a congressman in his native Philippines, won a seat in the senate, where the workload is much more intense. That means in order to fight again he will have to work out a schedule that will allow him to still attend to his senate duties.
Manny Pacquiao will fight again this fall after a brief retirement during which he was elected to congress in his native Philippines. John Gurzinski/AFP/Getty Images

In fact, Arum had placed a hold on the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas for Pacquiao's possible return on Oct. 15. However, Arum said he had to change course because of Pacquiao's senate responsibilities.

"Manny wants to come back. The problem is he can only come back if it doesn't interfere with his senate duties," Arum said. "We had penciled him in for Oct. 15 at Mandalay Bay but we were informed that is no longer possible because he has to spend that week leading up to Oct. 15 formulating the budget in the senate and doing the votes.

"So he has to be there for that week, so that knocks out that week. He can't mess around with that. So now we're looking at Oct. 29 or Nov. 5. The question is building availability because we want to do the fight in Las Vegas."

Arum said he is working with MGM executive Richard Sturm on the availability of its venues -- the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Mandalay Bay Events Center and T-Mobile Arena -- for those dates.

"Sturm is doing the research and seeing if he can move things around," Arum said. "The MGM wants to do the fight and he'll come back to us when he comes to a solution."

If the MGM can't free up one of its arenas Arum said the Thomas & Mack Center might also be possible in conjunction with The Wynn.

Arum said he has been in regular touch with Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser, as they work through the date issues.

"Michael said Manny definitely wants to fight again. Not even a question," Arum said. "We just have to get an appropriate date."

Koncz told ESPN.com that Pacquiao wants to fight again before the end of the year but the senate schedule makes planning a fight more complicated than it used to be.

"Manny's primary concern and obligation is to fulfill his senatorial duties," Koncz said. "But he just misses [boxing]. He misses the training. He misses being in the gym. You can see when he trains it's like a stress reliever for him. His mood changes. It's like he's in happy land. So I am working with Bob and Manny is working closely with the senate president to make sure the dates are OK. We're doing this properly.

"When Manny was a congressman we didn't have to clear dates. Now we have to. He is taking his job in the senate seriously. He is not going to be absent, which is why we can't do a fight Oct. 15 because of the senate dealing with the budget."

In May 2015, Pacquiao lost a unanimous decision to Floyd Mayweather in their welterweight unification fight. The long-anticipated megafight shattered every boxing revenue record, after which both fighters fought once more. Mayweather beat Andre Berto in September and then retired.

The 37-year-old Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs), boxing's only eight-division titleholder, sat out for nearly a year because he further injured his bum rotator cuff against Mayweather and had postfight surgery. He returned to beat Bradley and then retired.

While many believed Pacquiao and Mayweather would both return, Pacquiao will be the first to do so. In fact, Arum refused to promote the Bradley fight as Pacquiao's finale, even though Pacquiao said leading up to the fight that he was going to retire.

"I would have been excoriated," Arum said. "I knew this would happen. I'm not an idiot. I wasn't going to say [the Bradley fight] was Manny's last fight and have people say I sold the fight under false pretenses. I didn't represent that so am I surprised by this? No. Not at all."

Arum and Koncz said Pacquiao would train around his senate duties.

"He can handle it," Arum said. "There is one week in October of intensive legislation. He'll train that week at off hours and before that week at regular hours and then probably two weeks in Los Angeles, and then the last week in Vegas. It's doable."

Arum said he and Broner adviser Al Haymon -- Arum's longtime adversary with whom he recently settled a $100 million lawsuit -- were able to work on the fight together and that they can do other fights as well, but that Broner (32-2, 24 KOs) was not realistic with his purse demands.

"I worked very, very hard with Al to make the Broner fight but Al was never able to bring Broner around to a realistic number," Arum said. "He wanted what we haven't paid anybody in a long time. Just a crazy number. In effect he wanted parity with Manny and Al agreed that he couldn't do anything with him. The kid is crazy."

Haymon refuses to speak to the media.

Arum said other possible opponents are junior welterweight titlist Terence Crawford, whom Arum promotes and who was a finalist for the April fight that went to Bradley. Crawford (28-0, 20 KOs), however, would have to beat Viktor Postol on July 23 in their unification bout. Arum also mentioned another fighter he promotes, welterweight titlist Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs), now that Vargas' proposed unification fight against Kell Brook has fallen through.

Arum said if Pacquiao fights Crawford he might go down to 140 pounds to challenge for Crawford's title.

Koncz said he was disappointed that Broner "outpriced himself."

"Broner is a decent fighter and it would be entertaining for the fans," Koncz said. "But I lost respect for him because he outrageously outpriced himself. We even offered him an upside so if the pay-per-view sold really well he would make even more money. I've lost all respect for him as a person.

"So we'll get another opponent for Manny to fight. I'm not sure who but we want a meaningful fight and an entertaining fight."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Manny Pacquiao to return Empty Re: Manny Pacquiao to return

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:22 pm

He must be skint

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:38 pm

What do we make of his wish to bring back the death penalty by hanging no less, in the Philippines?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:42 pm

Good idea. There's so much corruption with so few consequences that they need to do something to sort it out. And it's not corruption like we see over this side of the world when something is uncovered and it's a scandal, it's in your face over there and they don't try hide it.

Durete is being portrayed by the West as some sort of Donald Trump type but he isn't. He's a lawyer by profession and ran a provence in Phils brilliantly and reduced corruption massively. Yes some things he's said are mad but overall he'll do a good job.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:49 pm

You either support the death penalty or you don't !!.....

Give me strength..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:51 pm

Close the thread. Trussman has now sorted all this out.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:53 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Close the thread. Trussman has now sorted all this out.

I'm trying to for you kid...

I'm trying to figure out how it is acceptable in the Phillipines and no where else...

But then If Manny likes it....It must be good...

Bless.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 1:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:Close the thread. Trussman has now sorted all this out.

I'm trying to for you kid...

I'm trying to figure out how it is acceptable in the Phillipines and no where else...

But then If Manny likes it....It must be good...

Bless.. thumbsup

Where have I said I favour it in some places and not in others? Also I said that Durete will do a good job, I didn't mention Manny in that regard.

Bless.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2016, 2:09 pm

Let's not argue..

Suffice to say I lived through Marcos...Aquino and other regimes all of which were rights abusers..highly corrupt and didn't give diddly about the people..

Not surprised there is a problem...But killing citizens in kangaroo courts isn't the answer...

When they learn to organise a p**s up in a brewery then they can discuss a subject this serious...

Hope your well Pedro....and yes Boxing should welcome Manny back..

It needs stars desperately..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 13 Jul 2016, 2:37 pm

presumably manny just wants to hang gay people, no?

As for boxing, if he's back, injury free and fights someone interesting... all good

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Jul 2016, 11:49 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-danny-garcia-frontrunner-manny-pacquiao-fight--106638

Now Broner has priced himself out, Danny Garcia is being considered. How the hell does Danny Garcia deserve a big fight ffs? Getting rewarded for running from Matthysse rematch and Postol and refusing to unify with Therman even though they're both with Haymon. I'd be disappointed if Pacquaio picks him, should leave him to ride the b-grade express where he's comfortable. Unify with Therman to earn his shot. Can't stand this fast tracking ruining the sport. Can't stand b-grade fighters earning elite money.

Hope Manny selects winner of Postol/Crawford, much better than a Vargas fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm

Well he deserves it more than broner would have hermy. People only accept broner as an opponent in the hope of seeing him sparked.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

The true boxing fan never wants to see anyone really hurt of course, but I'd definitely shell out to see him knocked flush out milky. Literally has no redeeming qualities

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-danny-garcia-frontrunner-manny-pacquiao-fight--106638

Now Broner has priced himself out, Danny Garcia is being considered. How the hell does Danny Garcia deserve a big fight ffs? Getting rewarded for running from Matthysse rematch and Postol and refusing to unify with Therman even though they're both with Haymon. I'd be disappointed if Pacquaio picks him, should leave him to ride the b-grade express where he's comfortable. Unify with Therman to earn his shot. Can't stand this fast tracking ruining the sport. Can't stand b-grade fighters earning elite money.

Hope Manny selects winner of Postol/Crawford, much better than a Vargas fight.

I like seeing Crolla earn every penny he can get......He's a b grade fighter....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Jul 2016, 9:22 pm

Nice guy Crolla wouldn't begrudge him a penny, I think Mikey Garcia would come to England to fight him as well as Flannagan. Those are two Garcia is interested in.

Point?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:07 pm

Crolla's last defence had a crap undercard because Hearn wanted to give him a big pay day....and good luck to Crolla

You said you can't stand b fighters earning top money....

You're either dumb or have double standards..

Probably the former.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:18 pm

Why are you dwelling on those words? Ok I should have written b grade ducking fighters.  Crolla's never ducked anyone. Garcia has avoided anyone decent since the Matthysse fight. Holding out for a big fight and now he looks like he might get one. Which in my opinion he doesn't deserve. He only chooses fighters he knows he can beat. Why is Thurman unable to close a fight with him? It's a unification and they're both with Haymon.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 15 Jul 2016, 12:10 pm

I think Manny would still beat any welter out there. Be glad to see him back.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Jul 2016, 12:16 pm

Yeah it's good to see Manny back though I don't share some of his political views. He loves the training, gets a buzz from it,  I think he could be around for another few years yet.

Surely it's Therman who deserves a fight with Manny?

If Garcia won't fight Thurman, why doesn't he fight Porter? What's the point of fighting Berto?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 15 Jul 2016, 12:57 pm

Just wish retired fighters would stay retired generally. They are rarely as good as they were pre-retirement. You've entertained us massively over the years. Give it up and go home!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 16 Jul 2016, 10:03 am

Garcia turned down $4m to face Pacquaio. Will fight Berto next no doubt. The Garcia handbook on how to stay undefeated to be released soon. Bet he won't fight Thurman after Berto either, although this fight will be sold as though it's leading to Thurman. 

Thurman calls out Pacquaio. Now that's a real fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 16 Jul 2016, 4:23 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Garcia turned down $4m to face Pacquaio. Will fight Berto next no doubt. The Garcia handbook on how to stay undefeated to be released soon. Bet he won't fight Thurman after Berto either, although this fight will be sold as though it's leading to Thurman. 

Thurman calls out Pacquaio. Now that's a real fight.

I think Pacquiao runs rings around him

Good on paper though

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 16 Jul 2016, 7:30 pm

Did you mean runs rings around Thurman or Garcia?

Just to reiterate, I have no problem Garcia doing the b grade circuit, that's his prerogative, it's just that I don't think he should be rewarded for depriving the fans of fights they want to see. 

While it's not a bad fight against Berto in that it's evenly matched and they're both just behind the leaders imo, it rankles that Garcia can make $2m approx. A few hundred grand ok as it's not a top fight. No wonder he won't face a top welter(as I predicted not trying to sound clever mind,) he has no incentive if he can make that kind of money for a b level fight. It's just I don't understand the game fully to be honest, how can he make that kind of money for Berto?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 16 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

Both

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 16 Jul 2016, 9:30 pm

I think Manny beats Garcia comfortably 99 times out of a hundred, though if Danny could time one of his left hooks it could make things interesting. I don't think he lands it against Manny though to be honest.

Manny against Thurman though is a fight I like. I think Thurman can do well in that fight. I think he can make that a competitive fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 16 Jul 2016, 9:38 pm

Garcia has a better resume than some. Think people are still upset he derailled the Matthyse bandwagon. Beaten Khan too. Not many have two better wins than that so dont see how he can be a ducker.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 16 Jul 2016, 9:45 pm

I think Garcia fanboys are in denial about Danny's cherry picking. So obvious he won't fight a top welter. Thing is though, after Berto he won't have any option but to fight a real welter without looking like a total phoney. This has got nothing to do with Matthysse for me save Danny obviously ducked the rematch.

Wow beat Khan, so does every decent welterweight out there- Thurman, Porter, Brook, Spence, Pacquaio etc

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 17 Jul 2016, 5:54 pm

Garcia fanboys? Never met anyone whos a big fan of his. Met plenty of GGG and Kovalev fans though who are still bitter at Matthyse being outboxed

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Mon 18 Jul 2016, 1:25 pm

I think he showed against Bradley that he stil l has something to offer

Only problem I see is its been a while since he's been in with a real welterweight and one that packs a punch
I like bradley but he is a soft puncher and while he doesn't lack strength he isn't a big guy sature wise

Pacquiao still has a spring in his step but he is 37 now and does get hit, don't wanna get hit by too many bombs from big guys like Thurman
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Jul 2016, 7:11 am

Nobody wants to see Manny fight Vargas, if Bob wants Vargas that means Bob couldn't care less about Manny (or the fans for that matter,) only interested in making money off Manny. 

Since Floyd took Manny's scalp, Manny's lost his relevance(and financial clout,) so take a dangerous fight or retire.

A lot of fans would like to see him fight Thurman, and that's a way Manny can set up a Floyd rematch.

By beating a guy Floyd apparently ducked for years. Keith worked his way into a mandatory shot at Floyd but the WBC allowed Floyd to avoid that fight with that 'special' champion bullcrap. That was very frustrating for Keith at that point in his career.

Can't believe Manny would duck Thurman too but fully believe Bob will who apparently now is solely responsible for choosing Manny's opponents according to Roach, even though Bob said last week he's just the promoter and doesn't choose who Manny fights he leaves it to Roach and Manny's team.

C'mon Bob, you've made enough off Manny give us a real fight !

If Thurman wins that fight, that would be a great fight for Floyd. Could show that Floyd was building that fight up rather than flat out running from your boy Keith Thurman.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:00 am

Thing is Thurman got over 3million viewers his last fight so this fight would do well ppv plus Keith would accept the $4m on offer. But it's a gamble, Manny could lose that fight then Crawford's out the window. Should he win it though, it could do wonders for Manny, could put his stock way back up beating what many think is the best welterweight right now.

I think it will be Vargas next, disappointing.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:50 am

Manny Pacquiao beats every Welter out there. He is still an amazing fighter.

Spence might be the man to beat him, but he is too green.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:59 am

Thurman is a winnable fight too for Manny surely.

And by the process of elimination Thurman now deserves a big fight- Manny or Floyd.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Jul 2016, 11:08 am

Manny is still a top elite fighter. Near 40 and still has the speed and skills to compete with anybody.

He isn't as strong or explosive, or even has as high a work rate as his youth. But since his ko loss, he has improved his defence and I think he is more of a shrewd fighter. He can fight in spurts to steal rounds and still packs some speed and power.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 24 Jul 2016, 1:04 pm

Looks like it's Crawford next for Pacquaio surprise surprise.

Someone said last night the fight never really took off but knew it wouldn't once Weeks was in charge. Postol's only hope was to make it an ugly fight and Weeks never going to allow that. Postol hit him round the back of the head second round immediate warning but it was in retaliation to Crawford who cuffed him round the back of the head end of first. Weeks a little too quick to dock a point off Postol later on in the fight and look at the intensity of Weeks when Postol touched down. Another Tony Weeks special, he really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a big fight, he just won't allow the away fighter do any work up close time and time again.

Crawford won fair and square but still not as impressed with him as many others.  If Manny wins will he then fight Thurman? Crawford wins he'll stay 140, reckon he gets roughed up at welter where the money is at

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 24 Jul 2016, 1:14 pm

Literally don't care about crawford fighting Pacquiao

He will do what Floyd did run from him all night and try and counter punch the fight will stink to high heaven

Crawford had a chance to really put on a show tonight but he hardly threw a punch

If anyone was impressed by that then you should not be criticising rigo

Well done for a clear win but neither one of them did much of anything

Story of the fight one guy did slightly more than the other

The commentary was beyond embarrassing

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 24 Jul 2016, 1:39 pm

The commentator was so pro Crawford I actually turned the volume down

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down