The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event

2 posters

Go down

Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event Empty Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 16 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm

What a good format - very exciting TV. I came in at the quarter final stage with Austria's narrow win over Croatia (where Benny Raich was a DNF, letting Croatia go 2-0 up at that stage; his team mates saved the day to get it back to 2-2 and the timings gave the win to Austria); after that Italy beat USA 3-1, despite a great ski from Bodie Millar. France v Germany was closer, ending 2-2 but the fastest male + fastest female sums went in favour of the French this time. Sweden v Switzerland was more one sided going 4-0 to Sweden, possibly due to their much better start technique - they include this discipline in their national championships and so practice the start, which isn't as fluent in other teams.

On to the semis, where Austria (without Schild & Raich) took a 4-0 win over Italy. The second half, Sweden v France was much closer and again went 2-2 to be decided on fastest times; Cyprian Richard and Tessa Worley just edged it for France; probably a shock for the Swedes. In the kleines Finale to decide the bronze medal the Swedes were just too strong for the Italian team (great starting by the Swedes again a decisive edge) - so, a bronze for the Swedes and yet another medal for Pärson, who I think won all her legs of the event today.

That left the final between France and Austria, again without Schild & Raich - bet that gets a few column inches in the local press tomorrow! (Later news suggests this was due to Raich's injury - see below - and a desire to rest Schild for the coming individual races) It seemed to be correct though as Anna Fenninger put Austria 1-0 up by just pipping Tessa Worley. Cyprian Richard kept his great skiing going to even the score and Anemone Marmottan put the French 2-1 up with a 1/100th of a second win over Kirchgasser. Romed Baumann restored Austrian pride by beating Fanara to make it 2-2 again but once more the combined times of Cyprian Richard and Tessa Worley were good enough to give France a well deserved gold medal - their first of this championships. Well done to Austria though for winning yet another medal to add to their tally, after such a close shave against the Croatian team! Great stuff, which I wasn't sure I'd enjoy. thumbsup

Last edited by Bleausardv2 on Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event Empty Re: Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 16 Feb 2011, 2:21 pm

Unfortunately Benny Raich is quite badly injured apparently, French newspaper L'Equipe are reporting that he has ruptured his cruciate ligaments, and will have surgery today. Such a shame for a fine skier Sad

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event Empty Team Event

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:06 pm

Sorry to hear about Raich - didn't look too serious when he skiied out, but having had experience of CL damage (luckily at 2nd hand) it's very easy to do; he has my sympathy - not sure when he'll be back on the circuit after that.
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event Empty Re: Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:09 pm

Bleausardv2 wrote:Sorry to hear about Raich - didn't look too serious when he skiied out, but having had experience of CL damage (luckily at 2nd hand) it's very easy to do; he has my sympathy - not sure when he'll be back on the circuit after that.

Ligaments damage takes months to heal at best, so he certainly won't be back this year

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Alpine Ski World Championships - Team Event Empty Benni Raich

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:17 pm

Having had a look around a few other sources, this sounds quite nasty - CL and meniscus damage (plus shin cartilage?). Latest reports seem (stress seem) to suggest that the damage can be repaired but, as you say, this will be him out of training for 6 months or so. Nasty end to an exciting competition; on a happier note I think today's medal was the 19th major for Paerson and at the European Youth Olympic Winter Festival in Liberec, biathlete Calum Irvine finished 25th; a new personal best.

All the very best to Benni!

Last edited by Bleausardv2 on Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Later info)
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down