The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid season break

+5
barragan
drive4show
Sand
sharrison01
JAS
9 posters

Go down

Mid season break Empty Mid season break

Post by JAS Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm

For the 1st weekend in many many months I never picked up a club. I decided I needed a break and a reset.

I just felt I'd been playing too much golf over the past 3 months or so, particularly since the 72 hole longest day thing. I'd ticked up from 6.3 to 7.4 (the worst sustained run of poor form since I started playing). Confidence was low and to be honest I was getting to the point where I wasn't enjoying the game. There were signs of it turning around the last couple of rounds I played but I stayed committed to taking the break ( had arranged a spoil my daughter rotten weekend so couldn't pull out anyway).

I suppose I'll find out this week if a break was the right thing to do but I'm already champing at the bit and raring to go.

Has anybody else (particulary anyone who plays a lot) felt the need to take a break during what is effectively the peak of the golfing season?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Mid season break Empty Re: Mid season break

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

I don't really play enough to take a break (once a fortnight) but find that if I play 2/3 rounds on consecutive days then my golf gets really sloppy and after a few range sessions I am gagging to get back out on the course a couple of weeks later. Probably works similarly to the idea of taking a break as I find that not playing gives you a massive hunger for playing and can give you a fresh approach.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

Yeah i play quite a lot, probably about 3 times a week and have taken the weekend off on occasion, (Usually due to the weather more than getting away from the game, even though I probably needed too).

Break will do you good I think, theres no doubt you can definately play too much. I played last wed and you wouldnt have thought id have played golf before, I was that bad, but then played pretty well over weekend so its swings and roundabouts.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

JAS

I'm going through exactly the same thing right now so I've decided to cut right back on competitive golf and play a bit more social golf. As it stands, I've got Saunton, the Tassie then two 36 hole scratches in September. The way I feel right now, I think that will do me for the remainder of the season. I've already racked up well in excess of 20 qualifying rounds this year so by the end of the year that figure will be somewhere around the 30 mark.

Should be enough competitive golf for most people I think!

Get well soon mate Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

my mid-season break courtesy of back to back cancelled weekends which ought to have contained a 36holer each... still managed to play a mid-week medal and get in a few hours chipping practice and feel like my mid-season dry spell might be about to end. managed to get 7 holes in on saturday afternoon before the storm arrived and was swinging it as well as i have this year. amazing what a bit of confidence / or a lack of confidence in your short game can do for your whole game.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

Yep, its normmaly a break from competitive golf though rather than golf entirely...
Just coming out of such a break...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:32 am

Great idea - I have lots of time for golf right now but found I got to the point where I was overplayed! Stepping on to the first tee and not feeling really excited to be there convinced me to play a bit less albeit practice a bit more!!
results improving - though just by saying that I have probably jinxed it!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

puligny wrote:Great idea - I have lots of time for golf right now but found I got to the point where I was overplayed! Stepping on to the first tee and not feeling really excited to be there convinced me to play a bit less albeit practice a bit more!!
results improving - though just by saying that I have probably jinxed it!!!

Might need to up the ante for our game next week then Whistle

Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

similar story for me JAS. ive moved from 5.8 to 6.2 in recent weeks and didnt play this weekend cos i tweaked my back. probably ok to play this weekend but im considering holding off for another week for the sake of a break..... game was getting into a bit of a rut (going through the motions etc.)
Im starting to think im playing to much competitive rounds relative to practising (putting green/range or even a casual 9)
if i have 30pts on one Sunday should i really exepct to play well the following Saturday without doing anything during the week?!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

I've been playing really well, and way better than my handicap for quite a while. Was hoping to get a big cut at my next QC, and played a couple of weeks ago on Saturday and Sunday in mixed opens, where I was abysmal. It was like I had forgotten how to drive and my irons were dire. Last weekend I turned out Sunday morning in a bounce game with 3 mates, proceeded not to see the 1st fairway and went down for a 10. I drove straight into the boonies on the 2nd, apologised to the guys and went home.

I'm going up to the club tonight to see if I can see what has happened on the practice area, because I'm gutted at the minute

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down