The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golfers identified by their first names only...

+12
LondonJonnyO
The Ubquitous Chipper
drive4show
pedro
ronin47
ADMIN
Davie
oldparwin
NedB-H
sharrison01
McLaren
Rossa
16 posters

Go down

Golfers identified by their first names only... Empty Golfers identified by their first names only...

Post by Rossa Thu 27 Jan 2011, 6:09 pm

Was just thinking about how people refer to Sergio Garcia, i found it odd when the article i was reading called him Garcia as me I think its more common for people to just call him Sergio. Does anyone else agree?

That got me thinking about other players who can be identified by their first name only.... There is obviously Tiger, Arnie, Jack and Seve but these guys all have won at least 5 Major's. What does this say about Sergio's standing in the game, given what many would argue has been his underacheivement thus far?

That lead me on to a few others Luke, Camillo and Bubba which are called their first names a lot, they aren't major winners either. Is it just because there isn't two LukesCamillos/Bubbas?

Does anyone think that Nick Faldo would have been called just Nick if Nick Price wasn't such a great player a the same time or vice versa?

Can Lee Westwood ever be refered to as Lee when we've has Lee Trevino?

Pretty trivial I know just having a bit of a babble..... 🐘 don't know what the elephant supposed to signify just wanted to use it Smile

Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Golfers identified by their first names only... Empty Re: Golfers identified by their first names only...

Post by McLaren Thu 27 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm

Dustin Johnson maybe.

As for sergio's underachievement I cannot argue that he could have done a little better. However, compared to other players of his age he has done ok. If he can bag a major or two by 35 he will again be ahead of the game. Not likely given his current form but surely his career is not over yet!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Golfers identified by their first names only... Empty Re: Golfers identified by their first names only...

Post by Rossa Thu 27 Jan 2011, 6:50 pm

Yep with you there, how old was Phil (that's another...)when he won his 1st? Older than Sergio anyway...

I'm really rooting for him this year, i think maybe missing out on some big events and as a result playing smaller ones which he is likely to do better in will build up his confidence. I don't think he has a golf issue by all accounts it was his personal life... so hopefully he feels better about that and can get back to the Players winning, Major contention form of a few years ago...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:28 pm

I don't think that using a singular name generally has anything to do with talent or achievement but rather if you have a unique name then there is no confusion with other players in just calling you by the singular name. It also helps if you have a name that is a bit different - Sergio, Bubba, Camillo, Tiger etc are not the most common names in English speaking countries (those that run the media) so these players are more recognisable than the Nick's (Faldo, Price, Watney etc) and Ian's (Poulter, Woosnam etc) of the game.

If there was an attachment with achievement then players like Gary Player, Greg Norman, Gary Player etc etc etc have been misnamed all these years.

Of course, we now have text speak where we try to abbreviate any and every word - hence the emergence of GMac...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:28 pm

The interesting one is Rory. Everyone knows who that refers to, right? Must really annoy Sabbatini though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:38 pm

It would be interesting to find out, what the golfers call each other, I know me and my mates have nick names for each other( Big Ears, ten to two feet, slugger, shanker) just mention a few that I can put on paper.

Lee might like to enlighten us if does join our forum :lol!:

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:54 pm

I would be more interested to here what Tiger calls Rory Sabbatini. In fact we may even be able to write it on here unlike the old 606.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:54 pm

Can I add "Ernie" to the list?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:58 pm

I did actually tweet to Lee & Rory when the news broke regarding 606 closing down in an effort to get them onboard to help save the site like what happened with 6music.
Either though or more than welcome onboard here! Very Happy

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 27 Jan 2011, 8:05 pm

Yep,

Ernie is a good one, there is also no confusion with Retief, Louis or Charl either is there...

Maybe its just if someone gets success 1st with at name or if its just easier to say than their surname like Seve.... or conversely if they have an easily nicknameable surname as in Woosie or Poults case...or Monty for that matter

What about the best nicknames is golf FIGJAM is my favourite...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Golfers identified by their first names only... Empty its the age gap thingy...

Post by ronin47 Fri 28 Jan 2011, 9:19 am

I think this is more likely to be a ' generation ' thing.

Speak to any junior golfer and they would most likely have no idea who Lee Trevino is - but would automatically think of Lee Westwood.

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 28 Jan 2011, 10:25 pm

'Miguel'

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 28 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm

Why was Masashi Ozaki called Jumbo?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 28 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm

Mac

in Japanese terms he was pretty big, simple as that.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Golfers identified by their first names only... Empty golfers identified by thier first name only

Post by The Ubquitous Chipper Sun 30 Jan 2011, 10:16 pm

Well the first one has to be Arnie.
There is a goalkeeper in Scotland whom everyone knows as 'shagger'

The Ubquitous Chipper

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 31 Jan 2011, 1:02 pm

McLaren wrote:Why was Masashi Ozaki called Jumbo?

I have several theories.

He liked Shrimp.
He had a pet elephant.
He secretly worked for Boeing.
His little Jumbo was bigger than the average japanese little jumbo earning him the name jumbo from the showers.
He was just a big fat git with little ears much like an asian elephant.

🐘

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Mon 31 Jan 2011, 3:49 pm

The Americans did quite a good job cornering the Market with names like Bubba and Boo but I suppose over this side of the pond we have Jasper, Jose Marie, Padraig and Seve. I mean has anyone else come across another Severiano is any walk of life outside of the great one?

But in terms of “ordinary” names Arnie and Jack have to lead the way.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 01 Feb 2011, 12:56 pm

I find Boo! as in Boo Weekley just a bit scary!

Boo Shocked

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by vinyl1 Wed 02 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm

oldparwin wrote:It would be interesting to find out, what the golfers call each other, I know me and my mates have nick names for each other( Big Ears, ten to two feet, slugger, shanker) just mention a few that I can put on paper.

When Jonathan Byrd was leading a tournament in the US, they were interviewing another golfer and he called him 'Jay-bird'. So it appears they do have nicknames for each other.

vinyl1

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 03 Feb 2011, 8:52 am

Vinyl I am referred to by the following names.

Little John
That green Bar Steward over there
the long streak of urine

The second two are usually favourites when I'm beating a family member. thumbsup :606laugh:
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 03 Feb 2011, 9:29 am

I reckon Elin has a few nicknames for Tiger. Shocked

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down