The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best piece of skill seen on a pitch

+14
rodders
majesticimperialman
Biltong
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Geordie
RuggerRadge2611
thebandwagonsociety
Gibson
nakedwarrior
RDW
Meflanker
welshy824
Taylorman
InjuredYetAgain
18 posters

Go down

Best piece of skill seen on a pitch Empty Best piece of skill seen on a pitch

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

To plagiarise someone else's thread, what is the best piece of skill you have seen on a pitch (don't include your own tales of bravado as I am sure they, like mine, will mutate into obscure stories about finding a cure for the common cold while feeding 500 homeless folk and taking one against the head.)
Much as I think he is a bit of a div, that dummy thrown by Matt Dawson in the first Lions test and bought by 4 Saffers takes some beating. O'Driscoll playing keepy-uppy himself and scoring in last seasaon's 6N warrants a mention as does Zinzan's drop goalagainst England in the WC. Last honourable mention to Jason Robinson who, in a game at Murrayfield (as we were totally pumped, I have managed to blank most of the details including the year of that game thanks to years of therapy and hypnosis), stood about 3 feet from one of our defenders, put in the most ridiculously skillful side step and heaeded off the score a biut too easily for my liking.
Let's hear your offerings.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Best piece of skill seen on a pitch Empty Re: Best piece of skill seen on a pitch

Post by Taylorman Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:29 pm

One few will know is Terry Wright the Auckland and AB winger chasing an up and under at Eden Park for Auckland. After a flying run launched himself up and over the fullback waiting for the catch, took the ball and landed over the other side, ran a few staggered steps then finally fell over.

Picture in the press caught him in the air with the ball almost appearing to be sitting on the head of the waiting fullback. Amazing sight.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Best piece of skill seen on a pitch Empty Re: Best piece of skill seen on a pitch

Post by Taylorman Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

Another was our foot in the mouth commentator Murray Mexted (I think 1979 at Murrayfield) taking a ball from a leap in the lineout on the Scots 22 and starting his run at the line practically as he was descending. Off on a solo run with ball in one hand beating a couple of players to score in the corner.

Those were better days ay Murray?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:53 pm

I honestly don't remember that one. I remember my first All Blacks game at Murrayfield was the 22-22 draw which finished in the dark with Scotland scoring a try at the other end of the pitch from me.
I remember John Beattie, our number 8, running the length of the pitch in pursuit of Campese around about that time. Campese was always doing just enough to keep out fo Beattie's reachand knew exactly what he was doing.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

i have to say shane williams when he caught the ball one handed over the touchline and juggled it, that was pretty special

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

Beauxis controlling the ball with his foot from a clearance kick was pretty special (although im not sure how necessary it was haha) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66W1KFSubzk

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

This is a completely pointless but amazing piece of skill from Quade Cooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hquX4PlNqyw

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:15 pm

InjuredYetagain,
cant find youtube vid of it at work but a link:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/rugby-heroes/displayhero.asp?HeroID=6942

From it..."Number 8 Murray Mexted burst on to the international scene in 1979, scoring a try against Scotland at Murrayfield so breathtaking that it is still talked about today. The score in question resulted from a short lineout deep in the opposition half and saw him snatch the ball from the throw and then dash for the line without a Scotsman laying a hand on him. It is no exaggeration to say that if Mexted had only played one test in his career he would have become a legend for that move alone."

was a pretty cool try...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nakedwarrior Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm

Carlos Spencers through the legs pass on the 2003 rwc comes to mind. Also Joe Rokocokos little ballet spin around a defender and the little offload.

nakedwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:03 am

not individual skill but team skill from the scarlets for their try against perpignang (spelling)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:11 am

This was pretty good. Not my best, but one which springs to mind. Cos I was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5UGFTLJ6-Y
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:21 am

welshy824 wrote:not individual skill but team skill from the scarlets for their try against Perpignan(corrected) Wink

Try of the Season for me. Sublime ball-handling skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pE8t41TTk
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:27 am

Gibson wrote:
welshy824 wrote:not individual skill but team skill from the scarlets for their try against Perpignan(corrected) Wink

Try of the Season for me. Sublime ball-handling skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pE8t41TTk

yeh thats what i thought just so slick and all one phase, thanks for the spelling correcting Wink

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:20 am

Campese's pass to Horan in 91 semi was special.

Instinct supreme and it paved the way for a WC title.

As was Kirwans try against Italy 1987- excessively viewed over the years but an 80 metre almost straight line try from the kick off with all 15 players in front required talent.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

BOD's pass to himself, think the planned move was meant to be pop to hickie on a switch move, but he noticed the defense had all come infield expecting it, he put a little extra on the pop, the ball just cleared the player, lands back down in his hands and he bursts down the open wing. Didn't result in a try or anything but I always remember that.

Another classic BOD, and he does accumulate highlight reel movements over the years, was the chip and flyhack move. But that had a little extra luck to it than outright skill.

On a random piece of skill, I remember one of the latter Leinster games played in Donnybrook (can't remember the opposition) but Leinster was defending its line at the Kiely's side of the pitch. Trevor Brennan was on the field. The ball was shifted one player from the base of a ruck to a forward expecting to barrel over the line when Brennan did a star jump off the try line, connecting with the attacking players chest and bringing him to the ground. It was like one of the comic book moves where you see someone literally get jumped on. It was the most unorthodox tackle I've ever seen but it stopped the opposition momentum and held the line. Best piece of defensive tackling I've seen.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

Gregor Townsend's "toonie flip" to unleash gavin hastings to score between the posts against France in 1995 was pretty special for me, fabulous bit of skill.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:43 am

The fijian 7's try (maybe mid 90's..or earlier)...where the ball goes through the full team with over head passes, through the leg passes and the winger ends up flying to score..
Yes its 7's but was class to watch.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:47 am

Spencer's through the leg pass
Spencer's chip kick over his own head and re-gather

What a freak!

Du Preez keeping the ball in play for SA in the RWC 2007. He jumped to catch it before he landed out of touch he flicked the ball away

Willaims did one too caught the ball on the run heading to touch, threw the ball straight up ran out of touch stopped. Ran back and collected it in field before it bounced.

Sickos!

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:57 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Much as I think he is a bit of a div, that dummy thrown by Matt Dawson in the first Lions test and bought by 4 Saffers takes some beating.

I prefer Jacque Fourie's rendition of how to steam roller Ronan O'Gara in the recent Lions series.

OK, perhaps not so much a skill as a dawdle, but still.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Jonny Wilkinson, chip and gather to score a try England v Abs.

Wilkinson looks up sees their is no full back chips the ball over gathers and score a great try.(i think it was 2002)

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

biltongbek wrote:
InjuredYetAgain wrote:Much as I think he is a bit of a div, that dummy thrown by Matt Dawson in the first Lions test and bought by 4 Saffers takes some beating.

I prefer Jacque Fourie's rendition of how to steam roller Ronan O'Gara in the recent Lions series.

Just for balance I'll say that some of O'Gara's kicking from hand is as impressive as any skill I've seen on a rugby pitch. When he's on song his kicking to the corner is a joy to behold and the accuracy of his cross field kicks and the frequency with which they create tries is really impressive. Two obvious examples are Bowes vs Wales in 2009 and Horgans vs England in 2003 but more recently Earls try in the magners final.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

biltongbek wrote:

I prefer watching heaslip run over ROG cos you get to see it in 3 or 4 different matches.

Matt giteau's slick double dummy switch and run under the posts in the 3N last year was RIDICULOUS!

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

A lot of my favourites involve Zinzan, the 45m drop vs England in a WC semi, the drop to put NZ 7 ahead with the pressure of a 1st ever series win in SA...think my fave is leaping high to catch an Aussie bomb 75m out and almost in one movement firing a 30m bullet to Cullen on the burst who beat 7 or so people to score. You knew it was game over when Cullen caught the pill. All this from a number 8.

L'essai du bout du monde was another in 94-French genius to win the game and series.

There's a Dan Carter conversion on YouTube that is pretty ridiculous too.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Shane Horgan's pop pass to O'Driscoll for the BP try against Brive last year. Amazing.

1 minute to go Horgan races for the corner flag, at the last moment he straightens up and draws the tackle, BOD runs a loop around the back of him and Horgan flips the ball from hip height at the instant the tackle is made, puts a spiral (!!!) on it and it glides into BOD's breadbasket for a simple try in the corner.

Just found it here - enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPAOOqy9e10

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

Mickado wrote:Shane Horgan's pop pass to O'Driscoll for the BP try against Brive last year. Amazing.

1 minute to go Horgan races for the corner flag, at the last moment he straightens up and draws the tackle, BOD runs a loop around the back of him and Horgan flips the ball from hip height at the instant the tackle is made, puts a spiral (!!!) on it and it glides into BOD's breadbasket for a simple try in the corner.

Went mental on the replay!!! The lad is just a wierdo he is so good at times!

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

That Dan Carter kick...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMXomOLcaJM&feature=related

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Mickado wrote:Shane Horgan's pop pass to O'Driscoll for the BP try against Brive last year. Amazing.

Went mental on the replay!!! The lad is just a wierdo he is so good at times!

My old season ticket seat was on in the grandstand, looking along that tryline, about 6 rows from the front. I was in the best seat in the house to see what he done but I hadn’t a bogs notion what was going on. Nobody did until the replay, when 18k people simultaneously moistened their pantaloons!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

DC's entire 80 minutes in the second Lions test 2005.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:23 pm

watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboCHWOdfHw

and take your pick

I particularly like the try on about 5 minutes

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:30 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:DC's entire 80 minutes in the second Lions test 2005.

Yeah + 1. That was the most mesmeric individual display I think I've ever seen.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

english_osprey wrote:watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboCHWOdfHw

and take your pick

I particularly like the try on about 5 minutes

+1

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

one class bit of skill i saw from league but the kick comes in on the final tackle and bounces into the try area and is about to go over the dead ball line, one player dives for the ball flicks it over his head and the player behind him scores-was amazing skill.

Also when wingers do those one handed dives for the corner whole body in the air so they dont cross the sideline or flag

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:28 pm

Welshy... This one mate? Great call. OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdVKpEeydLY
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

yh thats the one

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:02 pm

The best piece of skill I've seen - done just for the hell of it - was Cliff Morgan, in the late 1950s, at outside-half for Cardiff against an English club I can't recall.
I know in those days the tackling wasn't up to professional standards, but there was more dangerous head-high stuff which would be yellow or red carded today.
This is what happened. Cliff got bad ball near touch going backwards after a lineout. The obvious thing would have been to bang it safely into touch.
Instead, he dived in amongst the opposing pack and darted through them like an electric mouse without a hand being laid on him. A straight-arm being the favoured tackle of many forwards then, Cliff put himself in grave peril of being stretchered off.
Zig-zagging in midfield, he side-stepped the opposing centres and winger before - with a wide grin - belting the ball into touch on the other side of the pitch from where he had started. No ground gained!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm

Went to watch a huge auckland club match in the 80s between university and grammar. varsity had fox john drake(rip) and even gavin hastings at fullback.
Grammar had the whettons and a couple other abs.
On eden park no.2 a maul formed near us and started driving towards us near the sideline.
It started breaking up and ended with drake throwing the grammar player over our heads into the stand 3 or 4 rows back as the players all crashed around us.
Real skill required there and great fun.
Hastings i recall had a stunner and was m.o.match.
Was great having him out here. Real class.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned but this display from O'Driscoll in the Magners final shows he is very far from a spent force. The kick, tackle off the deck whilst injured and sublime break and reverse pass show how awesome a player he still is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7NbNBV7Bw
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down