The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delve

+18
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
offload
dogtooth
Cobra1992
manofgwent
The_Hound_of_Harrow
BridgendBoyo
doctor_grey
flyhalffactory
Mr Bounce
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Taylorman
glamorganalun
Shifty
maestegmafia
funnyExiledScot
Cymroglan
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Delve  Empty Gareth Delve

Post by Cymroglan Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

Gareth Delve wins Melborune Rebels' fans accolade

Wales World Cup hopeful Gareth Delve has won Melbourne Rebels' fans player of the season crown.

The 29-year-old number eight moved to the Super 15 side from Gloucester for their inaugural season and has won widespread admiration for his efforts.

Delve's form brought him a call-up to Wales coach Warren Gatland's 45-strong preliminary World Cup squad.

His back-row rivals are Toby Faletau, Andy Powell, Jonathan Thomas, Ryan Jones, Josh Turnbull and Rob McCusker
BBC LINK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well done that man now let's see him turn it on for Wales.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Delve  Empty Re: Delve

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

yeah I read this early, really happy for him, he's really done well for himself down there. Hope he's allowed a proper chance to prove himself in the warm up games!

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

In my view on form and experience he should be a shoe-in. To have made the transition to SH rugby so quickly and so well is a big achievement, and certainly should be enough to win him his spot.

Assuming the traditional 16/14 split backs and forwards, I reckon Wales will have 4 props, 3 hookers, 4 locks and 5 back row players.

For me that's Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau, Delve and one other. Probably a call between Martyn Williams and Ryan Jones.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:In my view on form and experience he should be a shoe-in. To have made the transition to SH rugby so quickly and so well is a big achievement, and certainly should be enough to win him his spot.

Assuming the traditional 16/14 split backs and forwards, I reckon Wales will have 4 props, 3 hookers, 4 locks and 5 back row players.

For me that's Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau, Delve and one other. Probably a call between Martyn Williams and Ryan Jones.

It is quite an accolade. Hopefully as you said, we will see him given a chance for Wales.

All adds to the selection headaches in a positive way.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:58 pm

Yes well done to him, hopefully he can finally play for Wales like he has for his club / provinces.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 23 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

We are very lucky at the moment we seen to have strength in depth in the back row so hopefully we won't see Powell again! Regarding R Jones he has to be in the team as he also covers second row. We have not been great in the 6N mainly due to our front row injuries but we have some depth in that area. Our problem is tactical as everybody appart from out coaches seem to know. I don't think the selection of Delve will have a big impact on Wales, if he does get selected he will probably replace J Thomas, yes we will gain some power but we could lose line out options and speed, also we will be rewarding players playing outside Wales.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

I guess you could take Jones as the 4th lock (with Charteris, AWJ and Davies) but personally I'd pick the best lock for that 4th spot rather than a utility option. But if you take Jones as a lock, it would also allow you to take Martyn Williams should you so wish.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:43 pm

Correct, that was my thinking and I suspect Gatland's. I am not a great fan of Gatland but his logic is to take utility players because we are going to suffer injuries when you consider our group. Let's face it a lot of our players suffer from injuries a Delve is one of them.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:02 am

It wasn't Cipriani ? Now there's a surprise.

Yes was impressed with Delve. No nonsense no. 8 that got on with it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:32 am

Good for him. Surely Gatland has to take him to the World Cup now. If Jonathan Thomas gets into the final squad ahead of Delve I will actually cry.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:39 am

Delve was Gloucesters outstanding player season after season and IMO should have been our No8 years ago and racked up far more than his 11 caps.

His carear has been blighted by injury and he has never been given a genuine run in the Welsh side by any coach (unlike some me can mention).

For him to make the switch to the SH and come away with this acolade proves what a top class player he is - Just hope Gatland realises this and gives him fair crack of the whip come the WC.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

I think Gatland would be nuts not to take Delve to the RWC. He is outstanding and imo a far better player than Ryan Jones at the moment; just not in the right form at the right time when Jones made the Welsh back row his own.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I think Gatland would be nuts not to take Delve to the RWC. He is outstanding and imo a far better player than Ryan Jones at the moment; just not in the right form at the right time when Jones made the Welsh back row his own.

Mr Bounce

I think Delve has been in consistently outstanding form outstanding form for the last 3 yrs, performed at the highest level in argueably much harder leagues than the Magners. How can anyone judge his Welsh performances on just a few appearances, and yet Jon Thomas, AWJ, (and Bradley Davies this season) have all been very poor in the most.

The problem with Gatland is he likes his small core of loyal players.............. this has in the most backfired , the players have a complacency that then throws back to their ML form................ as can be seen in the Blues and Ospreys performances this year

Delve, Popham, Powell, Welch, Jon Edwards, Charteris IMHO have played better than alot of Welsh regulars over the last few terms

Too late now though.................. He should have smelt the coffee two years ago

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

Spot on as usual, flyhalffactory.

I remember thinking it was laughable when Robin McBryde said that Gloucester was too far away for the coaching team to go and watch him. Any excuse to include the favoured players.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Well, the Gareth Delve bandwagon is picking up speed. He was just voted the Melbourne Rebels player of the year by their fans. To me, its always good to see someone fight his/her way back after set-backs. These are the good stories we need more of.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/welsh/13890632.stm

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

Why is it that we in Wales rave about players that move away from Wales when they were not good enough or dropped for a reason when they played here (Popham and Powell). I am in favour of picking home players as we can see them week in week out and not get taken in by selected games reported by the media when the away players have a good game or two.

Delve has made his decision to play abroad i.e., out of site, we could end up selecting him ahead of Rob McCusker, Faletau or Josh Turnbull, some reward for playing at home!

Flyhalf:
Welch seems to be injured all the time, who has he played better than in the Wales team week in week out?
Jon Edwards, very good 7 gives penalties away but not quite good enough
Powell, he is a joke and had many chances, dropped for good reasons hope it stays that way
Popham, he is not considered by Gatland for his reasons?
Charteris, he had chances and will be in the squad, he has had injury problems.

Your list should include Tovey and Robinson as we have little experience at 10 and 15.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Sat 25 Jun 2011, 1:04 pm

Good on him i say. Wales have got a decent backrow and quality cover for the positions Very Happy

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Sat 25 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

While I think Delve is a good player (and always shone for Glaws v Wasps) winning the best player award in the worst team in S15 may not be such a great recommendation if you think about it.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

The_Hound_of_Harrow wrote:While I think Delve is a good player (and always shone for Glaws v Wasps) winning the best player award in the worst team in S15 may not be such a great recommendation if you think about it.

As a unit they may have failed to impress in their first season but they have a decent enough set of players with a number of them in the Australian 40 man squad.
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/Team/PlayerProfiles.aspx

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 25 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

Hound:

Good point.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:58 pm

Based on his current stats clearly he's built him self up a lot! He's 6'3 and 18 stone 2lbs, which makes him our heaviest No8 by a long way!
Last time I looked him up he was just under 16 stone!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

Fly half you're spot on. You are making the same points I have over the last couple of years and I too think it's too late now. There's a lot of fringe players that should have been given more experience asthey are the ones that are on form better than some of gatland's regulars.
I have to agree with luckless that if DJ johnathon Thomas i's on the plane I'll kick my cat!
I think sideways Jones will go as he i's cover although I don't rate him at 6,8 or 2nd row. A jack of all trades, but a master of none. It's a shame Ian evans has been so injury prone and hasn't really managed to get a good of games as I would love to see 4 out and out 2nd rows.
Does anyone else remember delve saying that there were a lot of cliques in hhe welsh camp. Hopefully with a few more new faces and a few of the disruptive old guard disappearing, Wales will become more proffesiinal!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:29 pm

Guys, don't get me wrong, I've a lot of respect for GD. I could think of better awards, that's all.

If he's injury free then he will bring a lot to the Welsh team. Work rate, ability to get over the gain line and his handling skills would put him as the best 8 available for Wales at the miment. Faletau for cover.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:20 am

I think Jonathan Thomas will go to South Africa.
He's a good whether player, he hates the cold, rain and muck, but put him on a hard surface in the sun and he's all over the place having a whale of a time.
The hard grounds of New Zealand will be right up his alley.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Manofgwent:

[quote]Does anyone else remember delve saying that there were a lot of cliques in hhe welsh camp. Hopefully with a few more new faces and a few of the disruptive old guard disappearing, Wales will become more professional!

I don't remember Delve saying this but I have heard the same comments myself, there were a group of players post 2005 GS that helped bring down Ruddock, fortunately G Thomes, M Owen and M Williams have gone but S Jones is still there and M Williams may be back (ref A Carter book "seeing red"). As you stated, after the RWC these guys will be gone and hopefully we will have a united team, but this will only happen with management that do not stab players in the back (D Biggar, R Jones, A Brew + others dropped in depleted squads e.g., Fiji)!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

AlynDavies wrote:I think Jonathan Thomas will go to South Africa.
He's a good whether player, he hates the cold, rain and muck, but put him on a hard surface in the sun and he's all over the place having a whale of a time.
The hard grounds of New Zealand will be right up his alley.

Not sure the grounds will be that hard in September/October.

I wouldn't take him - I think Wales have better players, and his only strength is his perceived utility to cover lock and 6. I say perceived, because I don't really see it as a strong argument. Wales should take their best 4 locks, and their best 5 back row players. I don't think Thomas falls into either camp on that basis.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

FunnyExciledScot:

I agree with you comments, we need 4 second rows but I suspect we will go with 3 with the high risk of Charteris breaking down if he gets that far!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 03 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Flyhalf:

I see that Popham has retire according to the WOS due to a shoulder injury, this may be a reason for not including him in recent squads but I doubt it more of a chip on Gatland's shoulder.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

Jonathan Thomas has amassed a fair number of caps due to his apparent ability to cover 6 / 8 and second row. He's done this despite the fact that he's not international standard in any of those positions.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

lp,

I do dis-agree with you a little bit there as a few seasons ago I thought he was outstanding at No6 but then the O's decided to move him around between 6, 8 and 2nd row and then with the emeregnce of Lydiate he slipped down the pecking order.

If he had been left in the No6 position and been allowed to concentrate all his efforts on than position rather than shifted from pillar to post would have benefited him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:08 pm

Bedfordwelsh:

I think your comments are fair, JT is still a good player (at 6) but other stronger players are available as you stated and taken over at 6 but, flexibility is good on the subs bench and he is a good line out option (if the throwing is any good).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Delve  Empty Delve

Post by Cobra1992 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

Havent watch much of the super 15 but I understand Gareth Delve has had a verry good seasion down under. He must be in gatlands mind to go to New Zeland? The backrow that i would take to NZ would be:

6: Lydiate
7: Warburton
8: Delve

with Ryan Jones and Jonathan Thomas on the bench to cover second and backrow between them. Along with Martyn Williams and pains me to say it andy powel in the squad.

Cobra1992

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Jul 2011, 5:56 pm

Cobra,

Delve has been covered on many posts of late and I do think Gatland will take him and I would start with him.

As for Jones and Thomas on the bench sorry JT shouldn't be anywhere near the squad Jones and Faletau on the bench.

Powell like JT know where near NZ.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 12 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

if delve gets a chance, and plays well in the summer warm up games he might make it to rwc. but he is too far away to be a regular for wales and this is massively against him.

my 1st choice back row for the two eng games is
6 ryan
7 warbs
8 faletau
with martyn on the bench
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:00 pm

This was done to death last week!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

its cobras 1st post. let him have his say, glamorganalan.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

dog,

I normally agree with a lot of what you say BUT I can't possibly agree with Jones ahead of Lydiate at No6.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:dog,

I normally agree with a lot of what you say BUT I can't possibly agree with Jones ahead of Lydiate at No6.

and i can understand why. but we need some experience in that backrow and so ryan gets the nod. come the tournament proper ryan will be on the bench, in my world anyway
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Cobra1992 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote: Delve has been covered on many posts of late and I do think Gatland will take him and I would start with him.

Sorry bedfordwelsh first time on 606v2. I think JT is a better option than Luke Charteris in the secondrow? But then again you can argue that Harris and brew should be taken to the world cup before Halfpenny but as long as he 60% fit he go on reputaion?

Cobra1992

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:08 pm

dogtooth wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:dog,

and i can understand why. but we need some experience in that backrow and so ryan gets the nod. come the tournament proper ryan will be on the bench, in my world anyway

actually in the warm ups a back row of
lyds
warbs
faletau
is perfectly acceptable. i eat my hat.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

This post should be added to the "new" Delve post

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

Cobra,

Not a problem with your post but I would also add that RJ is IMO a better option than JT so he would get a bench slot with Faletau
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

Cobra - I agree with your starting backrow. However I wouldn't take JT or Williams. Faletau and Jones (because he covers second row) should get a seat on the plane.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

glamorganalun wrote:This post should be added to the "new" Delve post

Cheers for digging it out, will do
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:17 pm

jt was so important to wales but in this day and age with the likes of warburton, lydiate and tupuric coming through we really have no need of him anymore. sport is harsh but there it is.

ryan is more useful, and more skillful than jt. i wouldnt be surprised to see them both go to world cup but ryan has more chance than jt.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:18 pm

actually in the warm ups a back row of
lyds
warbs
faletau
is perfectly acceptable. i eat my hat.

Dog they went pretty well against the BaaBaas with Lydiate having most probably his best ;ball carrying' game so it would also be nice to see that combo get another run then give Delve the 8 slot alongside Lyds and Warbs in one of the other games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

The games coming up we should field our strongest that finished the 6N(injury permitting) and then bring on a limited number of subs at half time to see how they go, not like the BaaBaas with too many subs. The time for trials was during the AI's but we wasted the opportunities, I believe we should be building the team for the RWC and forget Delve, he selected to play for the weakest team in the SH, would he get into any of the top teams? We need our proven players to get game time and build a team using players we all see week in week out during the season!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:18 pm

I think Delve deserves a chance to be honest, besides I'd take him just because he's been to New Zealand this season and can help the players adjust to the Southern Hemisphere.
If Delve takes his chance great for us, if not Ben Morgan will have a chance next Febuary!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:32 pm

Alyn:

Most of the team have played against the AB's in NZ last year in two matches so there will be plenty of players with that experince. I would rather have Turnbull or Mc Cusker (played there last year) go instead of a hyped Delve. I doubt Delve will be selected in the 30 for the RWC as not going to Poland is not going to help his cause.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:35 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Alyn:

Most of the team have played against the AB's in NZ last year in two matches so there will be plenty of players with that experince. I would rather have Turnbull or Mc Cusker (played there last year) go instead of a hyped Delve. I doubt Delve will be selected in the 30 for the RWC as not going to Poland is not going to help his cause.

Yes quite true. Gatland may also take Ryan Jones and Andy Powell as his 8's, with Faletau and Lydiate as his 6's.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next