The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adrien Broner

+8
The Galveston Giant
WelshDevilRob
TRUSSMAN66
Snakeyman123
oxring
DoubleD22
bellchees
huw
12 posters

Go down

Adrien Broner Empty Adrien Broner

Post by huw Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

Saw him looking really good on the Alvarez undercard.

Had never heard of him before, similiar style to Floyd but aggressive when the other guy was in trouble.

Is he one to watch out for or was this a particularly flattering fight?

huw

Back to top Go down

Adrien Broner Empty Re: Adrien Broner

Post by bellchees Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

He is a very very talented young fighter there is no doubting that. I think he might lack a boxing brain though which could hold him back. He looked a bit clueless at times in the Ponce de Leon fight and was a bit lucky to get the decision. I'd probably pick him to beat anyone in the Super Featherweight division at the moment but it is a weak division.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:26 am

Was an impressive knock out! he saw the guy was hurt and really put the pressure on him and finished him off well. It is hard though too say how good he is as at the moment i dont think the division is stacked with talent. would be good to see who he lines up next.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

Impressive finish - when I hadn't been impressed with much he'd done up to that point. Good movement -but a touch lazy - when he could have pressed harder.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

Have to say it went a little too far. The guy he fought was just standing there with his mouth wide open, every punch that went in made me wince and I was sure he was going to have a broken jaw by the end.

Brutal KO.

Oxring, I don't know, was thinking that he was controlling the fight well, staying out of trouble but like you wasn't expecting anything to happen when he suddenly burst into life.

Cheers guys, will keep an eye out for him.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

huw wrote:Saw him looking really good on the Alvarez undercard.

Had never heard of him before, similiar style to Floyd but aggressive when the other guy was in trouble.

Is he one to watch out for or was this a particularly flattering fight?

Agreed he finished well...Don't think he was 'similar to Floyd' in any way...heavy handed slugger, reminded me more of Maidana than Mayweather..

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

Too early to say..but fast, big at the weight and looks a prospect...

Guy he fought was a bit of a stiff..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

Snakeyman123 wrote:

Agreed he finished well...Don't think he was 'similar to Floyd' in any way...heavy handed slugger, reminded me more of Maidana than Mayweather..

Early on he was managing the distance between them well, good footwork, same defensive style and trying to counter. This was where I felt the similarity was, obviously I'm not saying he did it as well as Floyd (who does) just that he had a similar style.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

Just watched the fight and was impressed with Broner. I knew the guy had power and he showed it again here.

Litzau is a decent fighter and got the major upset over Caballero, who while mainly a Bantam, had fought at 125lbs in his previous fight and is abit of a Paul Williams interms of height compared to his division (5'11). Litzau also beat the decent Rocky Juarez in his fight previous to the upset over Caballero.

Broner looks the real deal and this was impressive and followed up his points win over hard hitting and much more experienced, Ponce DeLeon. I noticed Broner when he beat another prospect in John Revish (1st round) and on the evidence so far he is going all the way.

Super Featherweight looks a weak division and I'm sure Frank Warren won't be on the phone to Broner's handlers offering him a shot at Ricky Burns.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

bellchees wrote:He is a very very talented young fighter there is no doubting that. I think he might lack a boxing brain though which could hold him back. He looked a bit clueless at times in the Ponce de Leon fight and was a bit lucky to get the decision. I'd probably pick him to beat anyone in the Super Featherweight division at the moment but it is a weak division.

He did struggle in the Ponce fight but De Leon knows his way about the ring and is very experienced. Was streaming the other night and just missed his fight, seen him being interviewed in the ring, will be keeping an eye on him that's for sure
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:30 pm

Broner reminds me of a up and coming Berto.

He definatley needs a title fight next against either Uchiyama, Ao, Fana or even Burns.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

SoF, seeing you list those names makes me really think that 130 must be the weakest division in boxing just now. Have only seen snippets of the two Japanese, and they seem perfectly competent without being in any way inspiring. Burns is also a decent, accomplished fighter, but does not give me the impression that he could develop into something more than that. In other years, Fana too would be a world-rated fighter in this division, without ever being quite good enough to be a champion. I'd have thought that Broner, whom I've not seen, wouldn't have to be off-the-chart marvellous to pull in a belt or two fairly smartly at 130.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

I just watched it on Youtube. Good finish. Some of his pucnes were sloppy but when he did connect it certainly did damage. Chuck him in with Ricky I say

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 22 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:SoF, seeing you list those names makes me really think that 130 must be the weakest division in boxing just now. Have only seen snippets of the two Japanese, and they seem perfectly competent without being in any way inspiring. Burns is also a decent, accomplished fighter, but does not give me the impression that he could develop into something more than that. In other years, Fana too would be a world-rated fighter in this division, without ever being quite good enough to be a champion. I'd have thought that Broner, whom I've not seen, wouldn't have to be off-the-chart marvellous to pull in a belt or two fairly smartly at 130.

He should definately try and claim a belt or two before moving up and I agree, this is probs the worst division quality wise at the moment.

The only fight I can see getting made out of the above is Fana.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:00 pm

Good prospect, excellent finish the other night but for me I feel he could be outworked as he does tend to switch in fights (referring the Ponce De Leon Fight). However, as he is only 21 and already tackling world rated opposition I can only see bright things for him as long as the big names at featherweight (Lopez, John & Gamboa etc) don't move up as they maybe a step above what he is capable of right now.

I would say a title shot as soon as and then jump up to Lightweight.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down