The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nathan Cleverly - what next?

+3
OasisBFC
Rowley
Young_Towzer
7 posters

Go down

Nathan Cleverly - what next? Empty Nathan Cleverly - what next?

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 pm

As a big fan of Cleverly, i was wondering what next for the Cefn Forest fighter, there is some interesting fights there for Clev.

Bernard Hopkins
This would be a big fight, but a risky fight as well for Cleverly. Frank Warren has spoken about making the fight, whether he does or not is another matter, Hopkins seems to be lining up the undeserving Dawson, so Nathan may have to wait.
If it happened?: I would steer clear of this one, Hopkins wins on points imo, Pascal is a bit more seasoned, faster and stronger than Clev and he was schooled in the rematch.

Jean Pascal
An hard fight for Clev if it is made, but one he could win, Pascal is very fast and slick, also strong as an ox, but he does tire late on in fights it seems, fight could be made.
If it happened?: A pick em fight imo, Pascal is a bit better but how the Hopkins defeat effects him may well mean he isn't the same fighter he once was, he battered Dawson before B-Hop, and that may be the best we ever see of the Canadian.

Chad Dawson
Doesn't deserve a shot imo, however he looks set to fight Hopkins. Dawson is a good fighter himself, you don't become bad over night, before Pascal beat him up he was the best light heavyweight in the world, and the ring magazine champ. Another tough fight for Cleverly.
If it happened?: I think Cleverly's youth, speed, workrate would nick a points win.

Tavoris Cloud
The powerful IBF champ and WBO champ Cleverly have been involved in a war of words for about a year now, and Cloud was talking about the fight with Cleverly before Nathan even had a world title, so he would surely be interested now he is a world champ, another tough fight though.
If it happened?: Another genuine pick em imo.

Tony Bellew
If Bellew wins against McKenzie next month he will be in line for a shot at Cleverly and the WBO title. The two were supposed to meet in May, when Bellew came in last minute, only to not make the weight and go out. Bellew should focus on the European title before this imo.
If it happened?: Cleverly has him out of there in 6 rounds imo, too fast and has underrated power, Bellew has a dodgy chin, and looks slow. He is a good boxer when he wants but his love of a tear up would be his undoing here imo.

Beibut Shumenov
Haven't seen much of Shumenov, so it would be wrong to make a prediction, etc. However with him holding the WBA title, it's a possibility.

Zsolt Erdei
Again, not seen much of him, but he called Cleverly out after his win last week.

Overall, it's a very tough division, and very hard for Cleverly if he mixes with the top guys at the weight, he will struggle imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly - what next? Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly - what next?

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

It will be Bellew. Lets be honest about this and no dig at Clev here who I think is willing to fight anyone when have we ever seen Warren throw a new champion in with anyone as remotely dangerous as some of the guys you mention here. Couple that with the fact that Bellew is pretty gobby and you have a minimal risk fight that will probably sell pretty well. Has Warren written all over it and will be amazed if this is not the option he chooses.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

the boxing fan in me wants him to line up all of the above.
the clev fan in me wants him to have a few defences first, bellew being my first choice.

clev's good, but he's still learning and gets caught too easily. when he reaches his best, he has the opportunity to go down as a british great.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Wasn't this done immediately following his last fight. It will be a low risk opponent with Cleverley coming out crowing how he is ready for the best in the world while Warren finds another no hoper for him for him to cash in on another "winning streak"

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 am

Bellew. Low risk, good money.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:11 am

Clev has done nothing so far to suggest that he is world class (in my opinion.) I think he gets beat by all of the above except Bellew and Erdei (who I dont know much about) at the moment.

Sounds harsh, but I think he lacks power and is too easy to hit to make it to the top. He is young and has time to improve, and I hope he does as he seems like a good guy and seems to want to make the big fights happen.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 am

Wasn't this done immediately following his last fight. It will be a low risk opponent with Cleverley coming out crowing how he is ready for the best in the world while Warren finds another no hoper for him for him to cash in on another "winning streak"
////////////////////////////////////////
Nah, don't think so. If it had been, no need to comment Very Happy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 am

i think a fight against bellew, then a trip across the pond (probably to fight Shumenov) is what will happen. i don't think warren will want to put cleverly in with pascal/hopkins/cloud or dawson, but after those couple of fights i don't see where he can go. not heard of erdei, so maybe he could fight him- i think if he does fight Shumenov that will be his first real test, and will be a measuring stick as to whether he has a chance against the other 4.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down