The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

+11
mountain man
Collapse2005
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Heaf
Geordie
Maine man
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
Rugby Fan
doctor_grey
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George! Empty Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

Post by doctor_grey Thu 02 May 2024, 10:19 pm

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of RUGBY blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage and drive the cheating fockers off the ruck;

That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like Saintly greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Marcus and Fin, Courtney, England, and Saint George (Furbank)!'

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Courtney's day.

Now that I got that put of my system:
https://www.google.com/search?q=michael+buffer+let%27s+get+ready&sca_esv=cd1cd8ba04cfc6b9&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS855US855&tbm=vid&ei=_wo0ZtXZFciBhbIPxeSKWA&start=40&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwiV1bvm-e-FAxXIQEEAHUWyAgs4HhDw0wN6BAgYEB8&biw=1229&bih=556&dpr=1.56#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:2bd6118c,vid:ZVm5qad8HLM,st:0

doctor_grey

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George! Empty Re: Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 03 May 2024, 2:54 am

I saw a tweet which had both Leinster and Toulouse as 80% chance winners, with scorelines of around 31-19.

Pundits seem a bit mixed on who has a better chance of pulling off an upset. Most seem to think Quins, simply on the back of their record of crazy matches. If Ludlam and Sleightholme are clear to play, then I'd be inclined to think Saints might have more of a chance.

If both English sides do go out, it would be bad for the competition if there are two pastings. If things do look very grim for any side, you wonder at what point coaches would start subbing players off, to save them for the domestic competition.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George! Empty Re: Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 May 2024, 8:28 am

I'm not sure either set of coaches will sub players to save them for the Prem as both teams can score points quickly when required. If Leinster or Toulouse let up it could see a swing in the game. That's assuming they are on top of course.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 03 May 2024, 10:28 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'm not sure either set of coaches will sub players to save them for the Prem as both teams can score points quickly when required. If Leinster or Toulouse let up it could see a swing in the game. That's assuming they are on top of course.

I think both English sides will be looking to throw everything into these games. Saints are pretty much guaranteed a Prem semifinal, and Quins I suspect would happily sacrifice what would almost certainly be an away semi for a Champions Cup Final if they had the choice.

Quins also played Toulouse in the pool stages, so may have some learning points on how to disrupt their game. They've been pretty adept this season at surprising teams in one-off games, and we should only be missing a couple of 1st XXIII players. We will hope rather than expect, but if any team can spring a surprise...

I'll be hoping Saints can too. Not sure I could stand the raking over of old coals if Quins have to face Leinster in a European knockout match again...
Poorfour
Poorfour

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 03 May 2024, 1:11 pm

Teams up:
Leinster – C Frawley; J Larmour, R Henshaw, J Osborne, J Lowe; R Byrne, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; R Molony, J McCarthy; R Baird, J van der Flier, C Doris (capt). Reps: R Kelleher, C Healy, M Ala'alatoa, J Jenkins, J Conan, L McGrath, H Byrne, J O'Brien.

Northampton – G Furbank; J Ramm, T Freeman, F Dingwall, G Hendy; F Smith, A Mitchell; A Waller, C Langdon, T Davison; A Moon, A Coles; C Lawes (capt), S Graham, J Augustus. Reps: S Matavesi, E Iyogun, E Millar-Mills, T Mayanavanua, A Scott-Young, T James, T Litchfield, T Seabrook.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 03 May 2024, 2:33 pm

Quins Starting XV:
1. Fin Baxter (48)
2. Jack Walker (61)
3. Will Collier (239)
4. Irne Herbst (44)
5. Stephan Lewies (67 - Captain)
6. Chandler Cunningham-South (14)
7. Will Evans (87)
8. Alex Dombrandt (136)
9. Danny Care (373)
10. Marcus Smith (157)
11. Cadan Murley (112)
12. Andre Esterhuizen (88)
13. Luke Northmore (65)
14. Louis Lynagh (64)
15. Tyrone Green (73)

Impact Players:
16. Sam Riley (51)
17. Joe Marler (280)
18. Simon Kerrod (101)
19. George Hammond (63)
20. James Chisholm (147)
21. Will Porter (19)
22. Jarrod Evans (14)
23. Oscar Beard (52)

That's close to as strong as we can put out; of our injured players Kenningham would be a bench optiion, Lamb would probably overtake Hammond on the bench, and David would vie with Lynagh, but only Launchbury would be an obvious starter (for Herbst, who has been very good the last few weeks anyway).

Toutouse:
Toulouse: Kinghorn; Cruz Mallia, Costes, Ahki, Lebel; Ntamack, Dupont (capt); Baille, Mauvaka, Aldegheri, Flament, Meafou, Cros, Willis, Roumat.

Replacements: Marchand, Neti, Merkler, Arnold, Castro-Ferreira, Graou, Chocobares, Ramos.

Man for man Toulouse have more carrying power, but I'd fancy Quins in the scrum. Dupont is a huge edge in the backs, but if Quins can somehow keep him quiet then their own backline isn't too shabby.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 03 May 2024, 3:25 pm

Ludlam and Sleightholme being ruled out for Saints seem like big losses

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 03 May 2024, 8:05 pm

Same could by said for Leinster with Keenan and Ringrose missing

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 04 May 2024, 5:42 am

Maine man wrote:Same could by said for Leinster with Keenan and Ringrose missing

Leinster got past La Rochelle without Keenan and Ringrose, which is a fair indication of depth. It's hard to know with Saints, as Ludlam and Sleightholme have been fixtures in most of the big matches.

George Hendy has shown some nice touches, so he's not a bad man to have on the wing. Still, Sleightholme has been a real handful for defences all season. With Ludlam and Lawes in the side, Saints have 2/3 of a backrow which can compete with anyone. Graham and Augustus are both handy players but neither have international experience.

Saints aren't holed below the waterline by those two absences. The odds, though, tipped a bit further against them.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 04 May 2024, 7:09 am

I think going into this match that Saints have at least a puncher's chance at this.  Losing two key players, including a club captain who is also England back row, is huge blow or Saints.  And Sleights has been amongst the top wingers in the Premiership.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 04 May 2024, 9:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLeZ7EolBDE

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 04 May 2024, 1:26 pm

Poorfour wrote:Quins Starting XV:
1. Fin Baxter (48)
2. Jack Walker (61)
3. Will Collier (239)
4. Irne Herbst (44)
5. Stephan Lewies (67 - Captain)
6. Chandler Cunningham-South (14)
7. Will Evans (87)
8. Alex Dombrandt (136)
9. Danny Care (373)
10. Marcus Smith (157)
11. Cadan Murley (112)
12. Andre Esterhuizen (88)
13. Luke Northmore (65)
14. Louis Lynagh (64)
15. Tyrone Green (73)Or
Quick question about Danny Care. Clearly a great club man, one team players are an increasing rarity. Just seeing the 373 next to his name in print stands out because it is such a nearly impossible number to attain. And a pretty amazing achievement at that. So, I'm assuming the 373 is total appearances for the club? It must be either a record or nearly one.

I could be wrong, but I think Graham Rowntree had upwards of 400 appearances for Tigers, and may have had the record for either club or total appearances when he retired. Sam, can you help me with this? You will certainly know better...

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 04 May 2024, 3:45 pm

398 for the great Graham Rowntree. Steve Borthwick finished with a similar number.

Dan Cole is on more than 320 at this point and Ben Youngs is over 310 both also with more than 100 caps and have both toured with the Lions.

Richard Wigglesworth has 449 pro club games though less international games than the others.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 6:00 pm

Irelan sorry Leinster have started very strongly....

Geordie

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 6:04 pm

What a tackle by Langdon

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 6:06 pm

Ref mugged by GP deliberately throwing the ball into the player on hands and knees - they really don't need to buy pens.

Heaf

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 04 May 2024, 6:13 pm

Saints look very nervy. So many errors from them. Offside from the kick off there is just inexcusable. Yes it happens a lot but they were so far off. Saints need some on field leadership just to calm them down. Take some territory and take a few less chances. As my stands they are going to end up in a position where they need to chase the game if they concede again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 6:16 pm

Yep Leinster aren't even having to get out of 2nd gear due to so many unforced errors by Saints

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 6:21 pm

Langdon is having an all action game

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 04 May 2024, 6:25 pm

Important end to the first half for Saints. Getting some points and then keeping Leinster out.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 6:29 pm

15-3 isn't so bad considering the dominance Ireland (sorry must stop doing that). Leinster have had...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 6:31 pm

Saints need to ask the ref to keep an eye on the rucks - Leinster regularly in the side or clearing out players way past it who aren't even part of the ruck ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 04 May 2024, 6:53 pm

Saints getting battered at the breakdown this half.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 6:55 pm

No way back barring a miracle ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 7:01 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Saints getting battered at the breakdown this half.

Don't often agree with Dayglo but when the ref shouts tackle and rather than release the player you strip the ball how is that not a pen?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 7:07 pm

Furbank played in the air and no pen - Leinster deserve their lead and don't need help sir ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 7:13 pm

Lowe has only played 81 mins in the league this season...saved for the Champs Cup and Internationals....says it all

Geordie

doctor_grey and Heaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 7:19 pm

Can Leinster just do what they want at the breakdown like

Geordie

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 7:19 pm

What a kick by Smith

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 04 May 2024, 7:27 pm

Well Ireland weren't going those that one were they ref.....

Geordie

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 04 May 2024, 7:33 pm

I liked when TNT put up the minutes played stat between the two squads, but conveniently left out the international minutes.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 7:42 pm

Saints came closer than it looked like from the beginning and had they not made so many unforced errors it could have been different.

The less said about the officiating of the breakdown the better - it was woeful.

Heaf

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 04 May 2024, 7:47 pm

Heaf wrote:Saints came closer than it looked like from the beginning and had they not made so many unforced errors it could have been different.

The less said about the officiating of the breakdown the better - it was woeful.
Huge credit to Northampton and the English sides in general in Europe this season. They've been great despite the problems they were facing domestically. Leinster's mental strength in knockout games is a massive worry.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 04 May 2024, 7:50 pm

They will certainly need to up their game for the final - they seem to have lost their mojo a bit for some reason?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 05 May 2024, 10:11 am

I don’t think Leinster are as good this year as last.

I fear a third final defeat in a row.
Toulouse are the team to beat for me.

Quins will win now Rolling Eyes

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 05 May 2024, 11:35 am

Proud of the fight Saints showed yesterday. Far too many unforced errors, especially against a team like Leinster. And at the breakdown it was easy to see how Ludlum, and yes, Sleightholme, were missed. And, obviously, no team can get behind Leinster as Saints did and chase the game for the remaining 70 minutes. But they made a game of it and had their shot near the end.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 05 May 2024, 3:01 pm

Surprised there hasn't been much outrage at the possibility of Quins having a home final if they beat Toulouse. Just kidding not surprised.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:21 pm

Rubbish call by Brace there - leading to a Toulouse try

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 05 May 2024, 3:24 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much outrage at the possibility of Quins having a home final if they beat Toulouse. Just kidding not surprised.

Why was Leinster allowed to use a different stadium?

Why would there be an outrage where the final is held?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:27 pm

Constant booing and whistling by French is really irritating

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 05 May 2024, 3:28 pm

Geordie wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much outrage at the possibility of Quins having a home final if they beat Toulouse. Just kidding not surprised.

Because Quins have played there before and its only an hour up the road but mainly because the English press is obsessed with neutral stadia (when the game isnt being played in England)

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:31 pm

Can you come into the side when counter-rucking?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:33 pm

Should have kicked that

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 05 May 2024, 3:38 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Geordie wrote:

Because Quins have played there before and its only an hour up the road but mainly because the English press is obsessed with neutral stadia (when the game isnt being played in England)

The English press rarely speak for the English people...

Geordie

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:39 pm

Spent so long looking for the knock-on then missed the offside in front of kick

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 3:39 pm

Quin's aren't playing badly but Toulouse so far just incredible. Counter rucking and speed of attack something else.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:44 pm

And another try after Toulouse 5 clearly joins the previous ruck from the side - is Brace actually awake?

Heaf

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 3:49 pm

Felt like the game turned on that Care quick tap. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, it was effectively a ten point swing when they turned down the kick at goal. They are manfully trying, but it really feels that Toulouse are just too powerful. Unless things go proper wonky in the second half I can see Quins getting duffed up.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:50 pm

Yep quick tap was the wrong call - take the 3 and close the gap to 2 ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 3:51 pm

However 2 tries being given after an offside in front of kick and in the side of a ruck doesn't help either ..... oh and driving in from the side of a counter ruck for another try too ... Brace needs to get a grip of the breakdown.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next