The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finn Russell in the premiership

+7
No 7&1/2
bsando
Heaf
BigGee
Recwatcher16
formerly known as Sam
TJ
11 posters

Go down

Finn Russell in the premiership Empty Finn Russell in the premiership

Post by TJ Sat 02 Dec 2023, 4:46 pm

Hows it going? I have only seen highlights including a package brugby puts together of Finns highlights and Finn does look like he has been given freedom to play which I was worried about but I am interested in how English rugby fans now see him?

Seems to me to be classic Finn high risk / high reward with both mistakes and fabulous bits of skill. Kicking seems a high % as well

So Bath fans - are you enjoying having him play for you?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Finn Russell in the premiership Empty Re: Finn Russell in the premiership

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 02 Dec 2023, 7:44 pm

Not a Bath fan but Fin to Bath was always an ideal match. They've been crying out for a top quality 10. They've got an exciting young backline and a mobile backrow. He's got licence to play when he wants and van Graan likes his set piece tight five so he's got some platform.

They'll probably keep improving as the season goes on. Not been a perfect start so far with the results but Rome wasn't built in a day.

formerly known as Sam

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Sat 02 Dec 2023, 8:17 pm

Bath have had over recent years a decent squad on paper but have lacked a test experienced 10. The number of games Bath have lost in the last ten minutes by less than a score in recent seasons has been Bath's downfall (together with a horrendous injury rate).
This season Bath are generally winning those tight games which is in part down to Russell. It is not a coincidence that the top four teams in the league; Sale, Bath, Quins and Saracens all have a test 10. Long way to go though, top six teams within four points, means every game counts.
Not sure how many Premiership matches are through the ten week 6N period which will be key along with avoiding injuries, as the back up 10s are generally much more junior in terms of top level experience for most of the above sides.

Recwatcher16

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 03 Dec 2023, 11:34 am

Ta

I suppose part of what I was asking is " Has your view of Finn changed now he plays in the premiership?"

There are an awful lot of myths around him like he is a poor defender and a poor place kicker which are not true and also that he cannot control a game. Of course the high risk high reward game is not a myth - its real. Because he tries stuff that other 10s do not this will lead to mistakes / turnovers. "2 sprats to catch a mackerel" there will always be more errors than a Farrell type 10. Is that tradeoff worth it to you?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Sun 03 Dec 2023, 3:05 pm

My observation on Russell was that he could be inconsistent in defence but he certainly has got stuck in so far this season. He still misses too many place kicks that he really shouldn't, which I don't think is new.
It also shouldn't be underestimated having Spencer inside at 9 who is such an undervalued player and takes a lot of pressure off Russell.
Bath have always aspired to a running style with a roving back row in support. Van Graan though puts a lot of emphasis on set piece and then Underhill, Reid and co. do the rest, with Barbeary just needing more time.
If Russell keeps trying things, pretty sure the Bath fans will be just happy with that and we'll see what happens as not personally convinced we will actually win anything but you never know and just pleasant to currently be in contention.

Recwatcher16

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 03 Dec 2023, 6:15 pm

Russell, has a few faults no doubt, but I don't think you could ever accuse him of being a poor defender. He has always tackled his weight and often has to bring down a big back row running straight at him at pace. He never runs away from that.

Where Bath are really benefiting from him, is just as every other team he plays for has. The defense always concentrates on him massively, which invariably opens up space for other players. It is no surprise that the outside backs at Bath think they have died and gone to heaven this season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

doctor_grey and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Jan 2024, 4:11 pm

Well I have watched a few bath games and the commentators are raving about him. With regards his defence in the racing game he took Woki down twice no trouble sashing him back:-) Woki apparently took the mickey tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 27 Jan 2024, 5:16 pm

Didn't see the first half of Bristol v Bath today but a couple of howlers from Finn late on ... but overall you can't deny how much better Bath are with him there now, although clearly it's not just down to him.

Last edited by Heaf on Sat 27 Jan 2024, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 27 Jan 2024, 5:41 pm

Most people blaming Bath defence for the loss on Twitter, but in a high scoring game like that you have to wonder how strong either sides defence would have been. Arguably Bath have been immense this season thanks to Russell unlocking some of their backline talent while their pack has been one of the best in the Premiership. Without some of those starting England forwards on the team sheet it comes as no surprise to see Bath playing a lot looser today.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 27 Jan 2024, 5:46 pm

Losing 2 centres to England along with a wing doesn't help. Before then the late call up for ewels. Russell is a fabulous player.

No 7&1/2

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Jan 2024, 7:00 pm

but a couple of howlers from Finn late on

trying too hard chasing a game. sometimes it works ( the famous 38:38 calcutta cup). Sometimes it does not.

He will always make more mistakes than many 10s, he makes up for it doing stuff others cannot do

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 27 Jan 2024, 7:12 pm

The cross-field kick I get what he was trying to do - but the 22 dropout that went dead was a bit loose especially as they had plenty of time and an extra 2 men, I think that was where the biggest opportunity went begging. He's certainly not boring to watch, that's for sure.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 27 Jan 2024, 7:45 pm

A meme I read today: Lionel Messi is the Finn Russell of football! Wink

TAFKA The Oracle

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 27 Jan 2024, 7:48 pm

Probably the usual, to answer your question. Sublime and then ridiculous. Some are willing to pay big money for that.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 27 Jan 2024, 9:15 pm

Bath had a tough day at the office but they were missing some fairly big leaders. In total no Stuart, Ewels, Underhill, Spencer, Lawrence, Ojomoh and Muir. Half the side with Spencer and Ewels guys you'd expect to lead.

Russell has brought a lot of direction to Bath. There's a talented squad there but they've lacked vision previously. Spencer is a general at 9 but they needed someone to bring everything together. Russell is doing that. Van Graan is making the Bath pack tougher and Russell is being given the freedom to the run what he sees in attack. Don't think they'll win it this year but next year could be a different story if they recruit well again in the summer and Russell keeps this level of form.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 28 Jan 2024, 12:14 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Bath had a tough day at the office but they were missing some fairly big leaders. In total no Stuart, Ewels, Underhill, Spencer, Lawrence, Ojomoh and Muir. Half the side with Spencer and Ewels guys you'd expect to lead.

Russell has brought a lot of direction to Bath. There's a talented squad there but they've lacked vision previously. Spencer is a general at 9 but they needed someone to bring everything together. Russell is doing that. Van Graan is making the Bath pack tougher and Russell is being given the freedom to the run what he sees in attack. Don't think they'll win it this year but next year could be a different story if they recruit well again in the summer and Russell keeps this level of form.
That was a fun game to watch. I agree van Graan and his team have put together a really good squad, and as you say, if they recruit well....

I was never much of a Spencer fan, but I think working with Russell has brought out the best in him. And for me, Russell has been Russell, highly creative and entertaining. And sometimes borderline out of control. But when he is going right he can really run the show. Today we saw it all from him.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 28 Jan 2024, 3:05 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Bath had a tough day at the office but they were missing some fairly big leaders. In total no Stuart, Ewels, Underhill, Spencer, Lawrence, Ojomoh and Muir. Half the side with Spencer and Ewels guys you'd expect to lead.

That was a fun game to watch.  I agree van Graan and his team have put together a really good squad, and as you say, if they recruit well....

I was never much of a Spencer fan, but I think working with Russell has brought out the best in him.  And for me, Russell has been Russell, highly creative and entertaining.  And sometimes borderline out of control.  But when he is going right he can really run the show.  Today we saw it all from him.        

What is it about names, we have 2 Smiths and two Fins, all of them excellent 10s.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 28 Jan 2024, 7:25 pm

Russell is Finn not Fin. Its his given name not a shortening of Finley like Fin Smith

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down