The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock

+3
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
Sgt_Pooly
7 posters

Go down

Who is the best lock in World Rugby? (2 choices)

Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_lcap37%Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 11 ]
Sgt_Pooly, doctor_grey, demosthenes, ralphjohn69, Galted, mikey_dragon, Collapse2005
Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_lcap17%Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 5 ]
No 7&1/2, Galted, mikey_dragon, nlpnlp, Old Man
Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_lcap10%Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Sgt_Pooly, carpet baboon, nlpnlp
Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_lcap13%Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
demosthenes, Oakdene, neilthom7, theslosty
Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_lcap23%Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 7 ]
Oakdene, carpet baboon, Collapse2005, bsando, BamBam, Pal Joey, Pete330v2
Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_lcap0%Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 30

+14
ralphjohn69
Galted
Oakdene
mikey_dragon
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
bsando
nlpnlp
neilthom7
Old Man
BamBam
Pal Joey
Pete330v2
theslosty
18 posters

Poll closed

Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Empty Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 07 Sep 2023, 6:41 am

I've seen a few of these floating around on social media so with the impending world cup, I thought it would be interesting to try and create a 606v2 XV and possibly see how it compares to one after England lift the trophy. Mostly done on form coming into the tournament.....add your thoughts, selections and complaints below.

Next up.......we have the big boys......lock (2 selections)

1. Eben Etzebeth - Arguably the most intimidating player in world rugby and a throwback to enforcer days of old. Etzebeth has everything a lock should have and is playing at the very top of his game.

2. Brodie Retallick - One of the best locks to have played the game, you could argue that he's not quite reaching the heights of previous years. Still one of the most physical players around, he's a huge miss when injured.

3. Will Skelton - A man mountain...weighing in at approximately 150kg, he dominates games. He's had some outstanding games at club level and will have to reproduce these if Australia stand any chance of progressing.

4. Tadhg Beirne - Not particularly big or abrasive, Beirne is a fantastic athlete and pain in the butt lock. His work around the park is right up the at the top, a class act.

5. Thibaud Flament - A revaluation in the blue jersey and a player that just keeps getting better. One of the younger locks in the mix, he could go on to be a French great.

6. Sam Whitelock - A difficult choice for the 6th spot, but Whitelock continues to impress in his latter years. Perhaps slightly underrated compared to Brodie, he does the basics incredibly well.

(Notable mentions to James Ryan, Paul Willemse, RG Snyman)

https://www.606v2.com/t71207-pre-world-cup-world-xv-loosehead#4104407 - Loosehead
https://www.606v2.com/t71208-pre-world-cup-world-xv-hooker - Hooker
https://www.606v2.com/t71209-pre-world-cup-world-xv-tighthead-prop

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock Empty Re: Pre-World Cup World XV - Lock

Post by Oakdene Thu 07 Sep 2023, 8:38 am

WHilst he isn't the biggest in the list, I think Beirne offers the most, his tackling & work over the ball is amazing for a lock.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 07 Sep 2023, 10:20 am

Remember to pick 2!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 07 Sep 2023, 11:05 am

I think James Ryan should have made the list in place of Skelton or Whitelock. Skelton isn't quite cutting for Aus, a bit like the rest of his team. Whitelock looks old and passed his best now. Decent player still but not AB standard, but aside from Retallick or Barrett they don't seem to have locks.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 07 Sep 2023, 11:07 am

Skelton is in the top 2 for me....he's an outstanding lock and has been incredible for La Rochelle....must be hard playing for a club side as good as LR and then playing for Aus.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 07 Sep 2023, 12:18 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Skelton is in the top 2 for me....he's an outstanding lock and has been incredible for La Rochelle....must be hard playing for a club side as good as LR and then playing for Aus.
Don't you kind of have to do it on the international stage though, given its the pinnacle of the game? Some Leinster players look "world class" with Leinster but not so much on the international stage for instance.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 07 Sep 2023, 1:47 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I think James Ryan should have made the list in place of Skelton or Whitelock. Skelton isn't quite cutting for Aus, a bit like the rest of his team. Whitelock looks old and passed his best now. Decent player still but not AB standard, but aside from Retallick or Barrett they don't seem to have locks.

I would certainly have Ryan ahead of Retallick. I havent seen him put in a run of really good performances for NZ in years.

Id also have still have itoje on the list.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 07 Sep 2023, 2:00 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I think James Ryan should have made the list in place of Skelton or Whitelock. Skelton isn't quite cutting for Aus, a bit like the rest of his team. Whitelock looks old and passed his best now. Decent player still but not AB standard, but aside from Retallick or Barrett they don't seem to have locks.

I would certainly have Ryan ahead of Retallick. I havent seen him put in a run of really good performances for NZ in years.

Id also have still have itoje on the list.

hasn't hit his best form for probably the last couple of years in the international scene for me to be included in the list above.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 07 Sep 2023, 5:36 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Skelton is in the top 2 for me....he's an outstanding lock and has been incredible for La Rochelle....must be hard playing for a club side as good as LR and then playing for Aus.
Don't you kind of have to do it on the international stage though, given its the pinnacle of the game? Some Leinster players look "world class" with Leinster but not so much on the international stage for instance.

Fair points but Skelton is worthy of a place amongst the top locks imo.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 11 Sep 2023, 11:45 am

I note the 'nominate 2' rule, but everyone only discussing one. I assume that's because everyone just accepts Etzebeth as being a different level at the moment.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Mon 11 Sep 2023, 1:28 pm

dummy_half wrote:I note the 'nominate 2' rule, but everyone only discussing one. I assume that's because everyone just accepts Etzebeth as being a different level at the moment.

With just 38% of the vote, to be pedantic that doesn't really corroborate your argument.  I think there are quite a few second rows who are better in the lineout, get more turnovers at the breakdown, are better running and handling the ball, etc.  But Etzebeth is clearly very consistent and durable, plus he suits this current South African team.  

For me a fit in form Retallick is a much better all round player, he has the size and power with more skill - but as has been noted he has struggled with injuries for some time.  Skelton can do everything that Etzebeth can and more - but happens to be playing in an era where his International team are poor. Itoje, Beirne and Woki all fall into the very different, but equally influential category.

Anyone with over 100 SA caps is a special player, but Etzebeth just doesn't excite me.  And the 'enforcer' tag - really who has he ever hit?  If France win the world cup, I think we will see Cameron Woki lauded as the best second row in the world.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 11 Sep 2023, 2:10 pm

dummy_half wrote:I note the 'nominate 2' rule, but everyone only discussing one. I assume that's because everyone just accepts Etzebeth as being a different level at the moment.

I voted for him but I dont see him as being much better than Beirne, Flament and Ryan. All different players with different strengths.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down