The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup

5 posters

Go down

France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup Empty France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 18 May 2023, 5:39 pm

Terrible news and a huge blow for the game in France
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-12087583/France-refuses-host-2025-Rugby-League-World-Cup-Australia-forced-save-tournament.html

Other bidders are out there
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65621301

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup Empty Re: France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup

Post by Oakdene Fri 19 May 2023, 10:27 am

Yes a real shame as this would have been a great opportunity to grow the game in France.

Oakdene

George Hotel1895 likes this post

Back to top Go down

France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup Empty Re: France withdraw from holding the 2025 world cup

Post by Duty281 Fri 19 May 2023, 1:05 pm

I didn't have much hope for a World Cup in France to be any good, but it's another bitter blow to a sport that struggles so much. I suppose Australia and/or NZ will host the tournament now, if Australia can be bothered.

Fiji looks an interesting option, but I don't imagine they have the infrastructure to host a tournament that combines men's/women's/wheelchair varieties of the sport.

South Africa would be an interesting call, because with an established union and 7s teams, they do have the potential to become a strong RL nation and this might be a way of putting it on the map. Less said about Qatar the better!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 20 May 2023, 6:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:I didn't have much hope for a World Cup in France to be any good, but it's another bitter blow to a sport that struggles so much. I suppose Australia and/or NZ will host the tournament now, if Australia can be bothered.

Fiji looks an interesting option, but I don't imagine they have the infrastructure to host a tournament that combines men's/women's/wheelchair varieties of the sport.

South Africa would be an interesting call, because with an established union and 7s teams, they do have the potential to become a strong RL nation and this might be a way of putting it on the map. Less said about Qatar the better!
Qatar will offers most money and the game needs money and lots of it so i say give it Qatar

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 21 May 2023, 6:57 pm

A kick in the teeth for French RL, a huge missed opportunity.

If it is held I will be surprised if it is not Australia/NZ. Qatar yes may have the money but with it will come a hammering from the press in relation to human rights (rightly so) and from the UK at least I would be very surprised if large numbers travelled I could be wrong but I am assuming it is not cheap. Do please correct me if not I am making an assumption.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 22 May 2023, 1:40 pm

Personally if they want it, Would give it to Canada. Though South Africa is an interesting one.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 07 Jun 2023, 4:19 pm

Favourites at the moment should it go ahead (we've already had it being held and lost in 2 countries), is New Zealand.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 08 Jun 2023, 8:34 pm

Luke wrote:Favourites at the moment should it go ahead (we've already had it being held and lost in 2 countries), is New Zealand.

I would not be surprised if so.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down