The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Round 6

+11
Oakdene
Old Man
carpet baboon
BigGee
RiscaGame
LeinsterFan4life
RugbyFan100
Kingshu
Welshmushroom
mikey_dragon
neilthom7
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

URC Round 6 Empty URC Round 6

Post by neilthom7 Wed 19 Oct 2022, 6:22 pm

Round 6, starting to really get into the season now and table constantly altering, looks like it's going to be a tight year.

All games on Premier Sports, URC Tv, SuperSport and Discovery+

Friday 21st October 2022

Benetton v Vodacom Bulls- Stadio Monigo, Treviso – KO 17.30 IRE & UK / 18.30 ITA & SA- Live on: Eurosport

Connacht v Scarlets- The Sportsground, Galway – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA- Live on: TG4, BBC Wales

Saturday 22nd October 2022

Zebre Parma v Edinburgh Rugby- Stadio Lanfranchi, Parma – KO 13.00 IRE & UK / 14.00 ITA & SA

Emirates Lions v Glasgow Warriors- Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg – KO 15.05  IRE & UK / 16.05 ITA & SA- Live on: TG4

Cell C Sharks v Ulster- Hollywoodbets Kings Park, Durban – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA & SA

Leinster v Munster- Aviva Stadium, Dublin – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA & SA- Live on: RTÉ

Cardiff Rugby v DHL Stormers- Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA- Live on: S4C

Sunday 22nd October 2022

Dragons RFC v Ospreys- Rodney Parade, Newport – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA & SA

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

URC Round 6 Empty Re: URC Round 6

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 19 Oct 2022, 7:28 pm

You reckon Bulls will get battered in Treviso again?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 19 Oct 2022, 9:11 pm

They do look a bit susceptable away from home, it's been a tough league in general this year for away wins though.

That Leinster v Munster game should be a quiet one Very Happy

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 19 Oct 2022, 9:44 pm

Its been the sort of start where sides have to turn up mentally each week. Winning away was always a tough ask but its showing to be getting even harder this year.

I do think Leinster and Ulster have been excellent already. If the rest don't catch them soon they will both have home playoffs bagged by the end of the next block. Everyone else has looked beatable at some stage or another. I do think Stormers and Sharks will get better in the second block so there should be a major tussle at the top.

What is really interesting to see is how close 5th to 11th is. Going to be really hard to tell for sure who will make those 5th to 8th spots. What we do know is those sides will all likely have very good home records as away wins really are getting hard to come by.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 19 Oct 2022, 9:46 pm

Risca called the Cardiff game right in round 5. We really need to sort the discipline out as we are giving away some soft penalties when we really don't need to.

Whats your view on the Dragons this weekend?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 19 Oct 2022, 9:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:You reckon Bulls will get battered in Treviso again?

Treviso have been really good at home. Its away they haven't been great. Bulls will do well to pull a win out over there. Would see Treviso as slight favourites but I dont see a battering on the cards. All depends what frame of mind bulls turn up with.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 19 Oct 2022, 9:56 pm

Got this from elsewhere, its the clubs rankings using the international rugby formula, starting from last season)not perfect as doesn't factor in BPs) but intresting all the same, brackets are place after round 4.
Relative Performance Rankings after round 5:
1(1) Stormers 87.38
2(2) Leinster 87.10
3(4) Ulster 85.65
4(3) Bulls 83.80
5(6) Sharks 83.21
6(5) Lions 81.60
7(8) Edinburgh 81.13
8(10) Ospreys 79.94
9(7) Connacht 79.66
10(9) Glasgow 79.17
11(12) Munster 78.65
12(11) Benetton 78.21
13(13) Cardiff 77.11
14(14) Scarlets 76.16
15(15) Dragons 72.60
16(16) Zebre 70.4

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 20 Oct 2022, 7:48 am

For me Sharks vs Ulster will be the pick for this weekend. This result could really play a part in which one of those sides end up with home draws in the playoffs.

At the other end Connacht vs Scarlets in my mind is a must win for both sides. I think both sides are on the brink of the season being over for them.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Thu 20 Oct 2022, 1:20 pm

Just the 18 players unavailable for the Scarlets, who have had to loan an openside for 2 games as we haven't got any and play a wing at 13.

Connacht should pick up their first win.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 20 Oct 2022, 2:06 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:Just the 18 players unavailable for the Scarlets, who have had to loan an openside for 2 games as we haven't got any and play a wing at 13.

Second win, they've already beaten munster... I think it'll be a close one.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Thu 20 Oct 2022, 2:23 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:Just the 18 players unavailable for the Scarlets, who have had to loan an openside for 2 games as we haven't got any and play a wing at 13.

Second win, they've already beaten munster... I think it'll be a close one.

I stand corrected. I can't see it being close. The Scarlets are in more disrray that the Tory party.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Oct 2022, 2:43 pm

That's Peels problem. He had others centres and wings available. He also persists with picking the Price's at lock, neither of which look good enough for pro rugby. Scarlets prop stable doesn't look bad though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 20 Oct 2022, 2:47 pm

I would love to say we will beat Ospreys, but then I don’t see it. Think they’ll just grind us down. Whatever front three they finish with will probably have too much for our replacements. I hope we pick a good back row to compete and not get obsessed with trying to be physical. Tipuric needs some form of competition and I think the best we currently have available is Keddie.

Please have Davies on the bench, this week. If Hanrahan starts going a bit iffy again, he needs to know he has real pressure on him. I would love to see Clark involved too.

Dyer v Giles is exciting.

Good on Dragons for the charity shirt for this weekend too. £10 off every sale going to Signposted Cymru, who are a Welsh mental health charity. I would imagine player worn shirts will be sold too. Bagsy having Chris Coleman’s Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Oct 2022, 3:10 pm

Hard to see Glasgow getting anything from the Lions in this one

A combination of Scotland call ups, injuries and gastroenteritis means we might even struggle to put a squad together for this game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 20 Oct 2022, 3:32 pm

The sharks pack to play Ulster is a bit on the large size.
Could be a bit of a battering. If Ulster can get any sort of forward platform the backs can do damage.
But I fear the sharks pack will just be to powerful.
Should be a good game.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 20 Oct 2022, 4:57 pm

I don't reckon we will win v Sharks in South Africa but if they can get some sort of bonus point that could be crucial come season end

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Oct 2022, 5:42 pm

Are all the Boks back for Sharks?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 20 Oct 2022, 8:20 pm

It would appear so
Sharks team v Ulster
1. Ox Nche
2. Bongi Mbonambi
3. Thomas du Toit (c)
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Hyron Andrews
6. Siya Kolisi
7. Vincent Tshituka
8. Phepsi Buthelezi
9. Jaden Hendrikse
10. Boeta Chamberlain
11. Makazole Mapimpi
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Marnus Potgieter
14. Werner Kok
15. Aphelele Fassi

REPLACEMENTS:
16. Kerron van Vuuren
17. Ntuthuko Mchunu
18. Carlu Sadie
19. Reniel Hugo
20. James Venter
21. Sikhumbuzo Notshe
22. Cameron Wright
23. Anthony Volmink

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Thu 20 Oct 2022, 8:30 pm

Good Sharks team, but their coaching inmy view lacks. Their defensive organisation is still poor, not having Lukhanyo Am leaves a big hole in their defensive organisation.

What should be of great concern tothem is how they struggle to adapt to how the modern maul is defended and the breakdown.

I can see Ulster winning this one.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 21 Oct 2022, 8:34 am

I don't see why we are picking Evans at centre when we have an actual centre in Baldwin on the bench! We have no real choice with much of the other selections....

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 21 Oct 2022, 9:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote: He also persists with picking the Price's at lock, neither of which look good enough for pro rugby.

Who would you have picked ahead of them?

RugbyFan100

PhilBB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Oct 2022, 9:29 am

Old Man wrote:Good Sharks team, but their coaching inmy view lacks. Their defensive organisation is still poor, not having Lukhanyo Am leaves a big hole in their defensive organisation.

What should be of great concern tothem is how they struggle to adapt to how the modern maul is defended and the breakdown.

I can see Ulster winning this one.

Ulster are yet to receive a yellow or red card this season.

Sam Grove-White is the referee for their game in SA. He's given four cards in four games this season, three to the home team and one to the away team. He also refereed Ulster last week. He's refereed 7 Ulster games, in which they've won 6.

The Sharks concede an average of 12 penalties per game (https://www.cardiffrfcfans.com/analysis/5107.php), Ulster only 8.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 9:55 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote: He also persists with picking the Price's at lock, neither of which look good enough for pro rugby.

Morgan Jones.

Tom Price was poor recruitment. Again, seems like a Peel/Scarlets problem, he's been picking them for weeks when Lousi and Fifita were available. Not to mention the odd selection of Stef Evans at 13. Would assume Joe Roberts is injured, but as it's Peel I won't assume.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 21 Oct 2022, 10:20 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

Morgan Jones.

Tom Price was poor recruitment. Again, seems like a Peel/Scarlets problem, he's been picking them for weeks when Lousi and Fifita were available. Not to mention the odd selection of Stef Evans at 13. Would assume Joe Roberts is injured, but as it's Peel I won't assume.

Lousi and Fifita have played every game while available. Injuries in the back row have seen them deputise at 6. Joe Roberts is injured. Morgan Jones is nowhere to be seen. Not even playing for the RFC side, so no idea what's happenned to him.

There's nobody else. We knew this would happen as soon as the budgets went down and they trimmed the squad by 6 players.

No depth - no wins. Plus awful coaching recruitment.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 21 Oct 2022, 10:29 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

Morgan Jones.

Lousi and Fifita have played every game while available. Injuries in the back row have seen them deputise at 6. Joe Roberts is injured. Morgan Jones is nowhere to be seen. Not even playing for the RFC side, so no idea what's happenned to him.

There's nobody else. We knew this would happen as soon as the budgets went down and they trimmed the squad by 6 players.

He's on the bench...

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 21 Oct 2022, 11:19 am

Oakdene wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

Morgan Jones.

He's on the bench...

That explains why i couldn't find him in the injured list! I think he has more about him than Price, buit Peel doesn't seem to trust him enough to start him. Again may be a conditioning issue. Beyond Lousi, we haven't really got a top lock. Fifita is more of a lock / 6.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 11:22 am

Lousi and Fifita are lock forwards that can play in the back-row although I didn't really expect to see Lousi there, cracking player though, near enough MOTM most weeks. Shingler being injured doesn't help, so yeah a bit of an injury crises I guess. It might be worth looking to get short-term players on the books as well if they can fit in the budget. There's a few former Wuss and Wasps players available...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 21 Oct 2022, 11:25 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Lousi and Fifita are lock forwards that can play in the back-row although I didn't really expect to see Lousi there, cracking player though, near enough MOTM most weeks. Shingler being injured doesn't help, so yeah a bit of an injury crises I guess. It might be worth looking to get short-term players on the books as well if they can fit in the budget. There's a few former Wuss and Wasps players available...

Agreed about Lousi, him & Siome are the first names on the team sheet.

Peel said we don't have any money in the budget to sign anyone....

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 21 Oct 2022, 12:08 pm

Dragons: J Williams; Dyer, S Hughes, Dixon, Rosser; Hanrahan, Bertranou; R Jones, Roberts, Fairbrother, Carter, Rowlands (captain), Wainwright, Keddie, Moriarty.

Replacements: Dee, Seiuli, Coleman, J Davies, Lonsdale, R Williams, S Davies, Clark.

Ospreys: Nagy; North, Watkin, Collins, L Morgan; Walsh, Webb (captain); Thomas, Lake, Francis, Beard, AW Jones, Roots, J Morgan, Morris.
Replacements: Baldwin, Smith, Botha, R Davies, Lydiate, Tipuric, R Williams, J Hawkins.

6/2 split for Ospreys. Definitely going to put the squeeze on us.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 21 Oct 2022, 12:59 pm

Looks like Ulster game called off, sickness in camp, can't field a team. Which will mean its rescheduled, not looking forward to a trip there durning the 6 nations.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Oct 2022, 1:44 pm

Glasgow and Ulster games in SA both postponed due to the GI bug in the camps, you would imagine it must be quite bad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 2:04 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Dragons: J Williams; Dyer, S Hughes, Dixon, Rosser; Hanrahan, Bertranou; R Jones, Roberts, Fairbrother, Carter, Rowlands (captain), Wainwright, Keddie, Moriarty.

Replacements: Dee, Seiuli, Coleman, J Davies, Lonsdale, R Williams, S Davies, Clark.

Ospreys: Nagy; North, Watkin, Collins, L Morgan; Walsh, Webb (captain); Thomas, Lake, Francis, Beard, AW Jones, Roots, J Morgan, Morris.
Replacements: Baldwin, Smith, Botha, R Davies, Lydiate, Tipuric, R Williams, J Hawkins.

It's quite the Ospreys team.

Our coach must be obsessed with Dixon? Oh well. Decent enough team from us. Nott must be injured, I can't see why else J Davies would be on the bench. Our front row of Seiuli, Roberts and Fairbrother has been very solid this season, we seem to have fixed most scrum issues. It also somewhat makes Rh Jones' Wales selection all the more baffling.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 21 Oct 2022, 2:08 pm

The Round 6 United Rugby Championship fixtures involving Glasgow Warriors, Ulster Rugby, Cell C Sharks and Emirates Lions have been postponed.
Due to gastroenteritis infections it is not possible for Ulster or Glasgow Warriors to field full playing squads.

In order to ensure a duty of care towards the players involved and given the medical advice received from all key stakeholders, the United Rugby Championship has made the decision to postpone the fixtures.

The league will now move to examine potential dates to reschedule the games and will update in due course.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 21 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm

Did they share a flight?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 21 Oct 2022, 2:26 pm

Strange that its both team have this bug. Did they both stay at same place, or did they share accommodation, or the flight out to SA?

A bit of a bummer and more of a pain to reschedule than the UK based games.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 2:50 pm

It could be SA up to their old tricks again...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Fri 21 Oct 2022, 3:00 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:It could be SA up to their old tricks again...

Ot perhaps a trick to delay their away matches in SA when the Boks aren't available, eh?

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 3:05 pm

As if anyone else would do that, everyone else is innocent Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 21 Oct 2022, 3:55 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Dragons: J Williams; Dyer, S Hughes, Dixon, Rosser; Hanrahan, Bertranou; R Jones, Roberts, Fairbrother, Carter, Rowlands (captain), Wainwright, Keddie, Moriarty.

It's quite the Ospreys team.

Our coach must be obsessed with Dixon? Oh well. Decent enough team from us. Nott must be injured, I can't see why else J Davies would be on the bench. Our front row of Seiuli, Roberts and Fairbrother has been very solid this season, we seem to have fixed most scrum issues. It also somewhat makes Rh Jones' Wales selection all the more baffling.

I have highlighted elsewhere that Dai Flan must want to try and justify Rhodri Jones’ Welsh selection, as I agree that front row has looked our best scrummaging outfit. Nicky Smith will be buzzing to come on against Coleman.

Nott is injured and although it was a fractured finger, it was still meant to keep him out a while. Be handy if he was back when Rowlands and Carter are away.

I did also say elsewhere that I wanted Clark to start too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 21 Oct 2022, 5:31 pm

clivemcl wrote:Strange that its both team have this bug. Did they both stay at same place, or did they share accommodation, or the flight out to SA?

A bit of a bummer and more of a pain to reschedule than the UK based games.

Glasgow reported some illness before sharks game, only left for Joberg yesterday or today, guess Ulster travelled down after lions game and stayed in same hotel.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 21 Oct 2022, 5:32 pm

I fancied Ulster to win, but appears they couldn't beat the Sharts.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 21 Oct 2022, 7:09 pm

That will most likely get rearranged for around the 6 nations you would imagine, that will be a fun trip for Ulster without their internationals lol

I can only assume Glasgow and Ulster both stayed at the same hotel or something, shame really because they would have been a good game to watch too.

Hopefully from an Ulster point of view the players recover quickly as they have to fly home and face Munster next weekend, doubt they will be allowed to do so while still sick

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 7:34 pm

Halfpenny out with hamstring strain. McNicholl to full-back. Baldwin to wing, Evans remains at centre, and Eddie James on the bench.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Oct 2022, 7:37 pm

Good first contribution from Hardy. Definitely a Pivac selection if ever there was one.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Oct 2022, 7:10 am

I think Scarlets are left with little choice now other than to show Peel the door. The team has good players but they look a little clueless, which is a sign of poor coaching.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Oct 2022, 3:22 pm

Ngl it could get a little ugly for Munster.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 22 Oct 2022, 9:11 pm

I don't know how the Frak Cardiff is getting away with the Poopie they do at the breakdown. They literally have carte blanche from this referee

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Oct 2022, 9:20 pm

Old Man wrote:I don't know how the Frak Cardiff is getting away with the Poopie they do at the breakdown. They literally have carte blanche from this referee

You say the same after every match.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm

Fair play to Cardiff, achieved a win through adversity against their greatest challenge to date. Stormers look good with Kitshoff and Malherbe playing, they don’t look as good in the poor weather unless they get a hand (like last week against Ospreys).

I always felt Cardiff had potential due to their attacking prowess. Dai needs to be given the change to build his own team, but we will need to know about our budgets for that!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 22 Oct 2022, 9:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Old Man wrote:I don't know how the Frak Cardiff is getting away with the Poopie they do at the breakdown. They literally have carte blanche from this referee

You say the same after every match.

Been complaining about rucks and mauls this whole season.

I still do not understand how defending players end up at the back of attacking mauls without changing binds.

Either the SA teams don't understand the way referees interpret the breakdown, or they are poorly coached. It has become a recurring theme now.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next