The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Round 4

+13
PhilBB
Pete330v2
Kingshu
mikey_dragon
BigGee
carpet baboon
LeinsterFan4life
Old Man
Brendan
geoff999rugby
Pot Hale
RiscaGame
neilthom7
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

URC Round 4 - Page 2 Empty URC Round 4

Post by neilthom7 Fri 07 Oct 2022, 5:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

It appears the URC games are now on Discovery Plus, not sure when that happened must have slipped my news feed but there you go.  

Some great games this weekend, off to Ulster v Ospreys tomorrow myself.

Friday 7th October 2022

Connacht v Munster- The Sportsground, Galway – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA
Live on: TG4, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Discovery + & URC.tv

Edinburgh Rugby v Emirates Lions- The DAM Health Stadium, Edinburgh – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA
Live on: Premier Sports, SuperSport, Discovery + & URC.tv

Saturday 8th October 2022

Zebre Parma v DHL Stormers- Stadio Lanfranchi, Parma – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA & SA
Live on: Eurosport, Discovery + , SuperSport, Premier Sports, TG4 & URC.tv

Leinster v Cell C Sharks- RDS Arena, Dublin – KO 17.05  IRE & UK / 18.05 ITA & SA
Live on: RTÉ, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Discovery + & URC.tv

Scarlets v Cardiff Rugby- Parc Y Scarlets, Scarlets – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA & SA

Glasgow Warriors v Vodacom Bulls- Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

Ulster v Ospreys- Kingspan Stadium, Belfast – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA
Live on: BBC NI, S4C, Premier Sports, SuperSport, TG4, Discovery + & URC.tv

Sunday 9th October 2022

Benetton v Dragons RFC- Stadio Monigo, Treviso – KO 14.45 IRE & UK / 15.45 ITA & SA
Live on: Discovery +, BBC Wales, Premier Sports, SuperSport & URC.tv

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

URC Round 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: URC Round 4

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 11 Oct 2022, 8:04 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Daf Jenkins, Christ Tshiunza, Dan Biggar, Rees-Zammit; I'm being generous with Jenkins as although he is good he hasn't had enough game time IMO. I've left out Calum Sheedy and Ioan Lloyd, the former not being good enough and the latter not featuring enough at the end of last season or this season.

I can't think who else would be in the mix. We've brought a lot of them home already.

*Edit; I missed out Tommy Reffell. He would be my first choice at 7.

In the Wales squad:

Tshiunza
Rees-Zammit
Sheedy
Biggar
Tompkins
Refell

Ah that's the one. No Sheedy in the Autumn squad for me. I don't think Daf Jenkins is that far off like I previously alluded to, but Wales needs good locks. That would be a surprise for me if he gets the call. Tshiunza is a starter for me in the back-row, he does everything so well.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 11 Oct 2022, 8:39 pm

For me Baloucoune is a top notch player, he is as far as I'm concered Ulster's best winger and should be in the running for that Ireland starting place

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

thebandwagonsociety likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 12 Oct 2022, 11:11 am

Baloucoune is a game changing player both in defence and attack. Can't wait to get him playing with an Ulster shirt on his back, we've missed him.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 12 Oct 2022, 12:27 pm

Mickey the question I have for you is if you don't think losing Baloucoune is a weakness you must believe that one of the following are his equal

McIlroy, Lyttle, Gilroy, Sexton, Moxom is his equal.

That is an assessment NO Ulster fan would recognise.

McIlroy is the pick of the bunch but lacks that extra yard of pace.
I happen to think he will turn into a fine 15 in his later years but as a winger
he is somewhat short of Baloucoune.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 12 Oct 2022, 3:28 pm

I wouldn't be sure, but Lyttle has been consistently good for a while.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 12 Oct 2022, 3:36 pm

Lyttle is a decent player and doesn't let us down but he simply isn't in Baloucoune's league

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 13 Oct 2022, 10:27 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I wouldn't be sure, but Lyttle has been consistently good for a while.

Honestly Mikey, Baloucoune is in a different league to those that Geoff just listed. He's a classy player and not just because he's lightning fast, it's actually all the other aspects of his game that impress me the most. Watch this space Mikey, you'll not be disappointed.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Oct 2022, 9:53 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:Ospreys were rubbish at Ravenhill.

Worst side we have played this year so far.

It was basically a training run for Ulster with light contact (barring Marty's HIA).
It's gutting to see how bad the O's have become, I've always enjoyed watching them until fairly recently.

That was miles off their first team

It was a fair distance off Ulster's too, we lost Marty Moore early on and in the 2nd half With Cooney out on the wing, Shanahan at scrum half and Burns back on the bench with Sexton at fullback it was a mish-mash of a backline playing out time with a win and bonus in the bag, and the forwards thinking about a bit of South Africian sun.

Sure, agreed on the Ulster set up as the IRFU's jolly further undermines the league.

However, your comment was "It's gutting to see how bad the O's have become". The Os haven't become their second team.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Oct 2022, 9:55 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
As a consequence a number of players remain in Ireland at salaries lower than you might expect.

Surely nobody still believes this? Even Ronan O'Gara rubbished it.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 14 Oct 2022, 10:11 am

PhilBB wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:Ospreys were rubbish at Ravenhill.

Worst side we have played this year so far.

It was basically a training run for Ulster with light contact (barring Marty's HIA).
It's gutting to see how bad the O's have become, I've always enjoyed watching them until fairly recently.

That was miles off their first team

It was a fair distance off Ulster's too, we lost Marty Moore early on and in the 2nd half With Cooney out on the wing, Shanahan at scrum half and Burns back on the bench with Sexton at fullback it was a mish-mash of a backline playing out time with a win and bonus in the bag, and the forwards thinking about a bit of South Africian sun.

Sure, agreed on the Ulster set up as the IRFU's jolly further undermines the league.

However, your comment was "It's gutting to see how bad the O's have become". The Os haven't become their second team.

When your clubs become nothing more than training runs for the Irish sides it's the fault of the IRFU is it?
The Italian sides are putting up more of a fight this season.

The O's performances can only be judged by what they do on the pitch, not the personnel they choose for a match day. You don't get merit for fielding weakened teams and as I don't follow the Welsh regions very closely any more I didn't realise they were fielding weakened match day squads against us.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Oct 2022, 10:15 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
When your clubs become nothing more than training runs for the Irish sides it's the fault of the IRFU is it?

The O's performances can only be judged by what they do on the pitch, not the personnel they choose for a match day. You don't get merit for fielding weakened teams and as I don't follow the Welsh regions very closely any more I didn't realise they were fielding weakened match day squads against us.

Peter, don't be silly.

One of the Italian teams is bottom of the league, with the same number of points as Connacht have. How is that "putting up more of a fight"?

The Ospreys chose to send over the kids to Ulster. That's not a measure of what the Ospreys have become, it's a measure of sending the stiffs to Ulster because the league is utterly meaningless. I take your point that you're made the comment without knowledge.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 14 Oct 2022, 10:37 am

[quote="PhilBB"]
Pete330v2 wrote:

Why do so many people that follow rugby, equate "putting up more of a fight" with "having more cash to spend on the playing squad".

Are Manchester City 'putting up more of a fight' than Southampton this season?

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Oct 2022, 11:44 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:

Why do so many people that follow rugby, equate "putting up more of a fight" with "having more cash to spend on the playing squad".

Are Manchester City 'putting up more of a fight' than Southampton this season?
[/quote]

is it "so many", or is just followers of Irish rugby for whom the finances are of little interest?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 14 Oct 2022, 1:16 pm

PhilBB wrote:

The Ospreys chose to send over the kids to Ulster. That's not a measure of what the Ospreys have become, it's a measure of sending the stiffs to Ulster because the league is utterly meaningless. I take your point that you're made the comment without knowledge.

What are you even talking about. The Ospreys had to make last minute changes due to enforced injuries. Comments like this just go to show you really don't follow this league at all. Given your lack of knowledge I too will take the point on the league being utterly meaningless as clearly your not informed either but I hardly think your talking for the wider audience with drivel statements like this.

Welshmushroom

thebandwagonsociety and Maine man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 14 Oct 2022, 1:57 pm

"One of the Italian teams is bottom of the league, with the same number of points as Connacht have. How is that "putting up more of a fight"?"

Putting up a fight and showing a bit of metal has nothing to do with results. Zebre are definately showing more fight than in previous years despite their losses, Benetton have gone one further.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 14 Oct 2022, 2:51 pm

Pete330v2 wrote: Benetton have gone one further.

Because of money. Investment into the playing and coaching squad. They have loads of Italian internationals. Italy beat Wales when they last played.

MONEY. Nothing else. Certainly not "fight". Whatever nosnense that is supposed to mean.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Oct 2022, 3:29 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

What are you even talking about.  The Ospreys had to make last minute changes due to enforced injuries.  Comments like this just go to show you really don't follow this league at all.  Given your lack of knowledge I too will take the point on the league being utterly meaningless as clearly your not informed either but I hardly think your talking for the wider audience with drivel statements like this.

Erm, Champ, how many last minute changes did they make?

Was it 23?

No. It was a small number.

So when you write about a lack of knowledge in others, try to move out of your glasshouse when you do so.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Oct 2022, 3:30 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:"One of the Italian teams is bottom of the league, with the same number of points as Connacht have. How is that "putting up more of a fight"?"

Putting up a fight and showing a bit of metal has nothing to do with results. Zebre are definately showing more fight than in previous years despite their losses, Benetton have gone one further.

The team with the worst points difference is Connacht.

How about that for showing mettle?
PhilBB
PhilBB

RugbyFan100 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Mon 17 Oct 2022, 9:15 am

An Irish, Union owned side is below all four Welsh pro sides in the BURC. They need to put up more of a fight.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 17 Oct 2022, 2:29 pm

Connachts first 5 games were all 4 of last seasons semi-finalists plus Munster, how many points did anyone really think they would pick up?

The next 13 games are easier, apart from away to Leinster, and Munster and home V Ulster, the rest look winnable.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 17 Oct 2022, 3:40 pm

Kingshu wrote:Connachts first 5 games were all 4 of last seasons semi-finalists plus Munster, how many points did anyone really think they would pick up?

The next 13 games are easier, apart from away to Leinster, and Munster and home V Ulster, the rest look winnable.

And, in fairness, who could see their owners taking away so many of their players for three pointless friendlies on the other side of the world?
PhilBB
PhilBB

RugbyFan100 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 17 Oct 2022, 8:14 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Kingshu wrote:Connachts first 5 games were all 4 of last seasons semi-finalists plus Munster, how many points did anyone really think they would pick up?

And, in fairness, who could see their owners taking away so many of their players for three pointless friendlies on the other side of the world?

So which games do you think Connacht would have won with those 5 players?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Tue 18 Oct 2022, 9:39 am

Kingshu wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

They're quite often handed a cheeky Leinster win by the IRFU.

RugbyFan100

PhilBB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 18 Oct 2022, 12:11 pm

Kingshu wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

Dunno, but it would have given them a better chance, I'd have thought.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2