The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE  LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Apr 2021, 3:43 pm

CRICKET IS BACK Very Happy
SURREY HAVE NAMED A 14-MAN SQUAD FOR THE FIRST LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH OF 2021 CAMPAIGN, A TRIP TO BRISTOL TO PLAY GLOUCESTERSHIRE FROM THURSDAY APRIL 8TH TO SUNDAY APRIL 11TH.
Club captain Rory Burns, batsman Ollie Pope, wicket keeper Ben Foakes and off spinner Amar Virdi are all available, Very Happy having travelled with England to India over the winter and there is also a spot for seamer Reece Topley, who recently returned from international duty with the white ball.
Rikki Clarke, having been unable to train last Thursday, was deemed not match ready for the Middlesex warm up game and unfortunately hasn’t been considered for this game either. Sad
There is no place in the squad for Ryan Patel, Jade Dernbach , Laurie Evans or Liam Plunkett.
Conor McKerr remains on the treatment table whilst Kemar Roach misses this game due to quarantine laws.
Jason Roy and the Curran brothers are at the IPL.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes (WK)
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Reece Topley
Amar Virdi
Possibly Dunn ( Sorry Guildford) , Moriarty and Atkinson to miss out, Headscratch
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE  LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Apr 2021, 4:16 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:CRICKET IS BACK  Very Happy

SURREY CRICKET IS BACK AND SO IS JIMBOB!
Thanks for running with this again, mate.

I agree about Moriarty missing out. They won't need two front line spinners in early cold April and Virdi is ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think one of the batters will be on the bench. Otherwise, we'll struggle for bowling depth. I reckon we'll go with the same top six who started in the Middlesex friendly. That means no spot for Jacks.

Then probably a shoot out between Dunn and Topley. I can't see them both playing in the same team alongside Virdi. Even though their main job would obviously be to bowl, the three of them at 9, 10, Jack would be a horrible tail and something Stewart wouldn't like. I wonder if Topley might be eased into the Championship side gently and so I'll suggest Dunn plays the opener.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE  LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV= INSURANCE COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:CRICKET IS BACK  Very Happy

SURREY CRICKET IS BACK AND SO IS JIMBOB!
Thanks for running with this again, mate.

I agree about Moriarty missing out. They won't need two front line spinners in early cold April and Virdi is ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think one of the batters will be on the bench. Otherwise, we'll struggle for bowling depth. I reckon we'll go with the same top six who started in the Middlesex friendly. That means no spot for Jacks.

Then probably a shoot out between Dunn and Topley. I can't see them both playing in the same team alongside Virdi. Even though their main job would obviously be to bowl, the three of them at 9, 10, Jack would be a horrible tail and something Stewart wouldn't like. I wonder if Topley might be eased into the Championship side gently and so I'll suggest Dunn plays the opener.

Cheers Guildford OK forgot about Jacks as also would have chosen him as one of the three to miss out Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed 07 Apr 2021, 6:30 pm

Hi all, very excited for the first full season for two years!

Agree on Moriarty and Jacks to miss out, think the last spot comes down to Dunn or Atkinson. I'd be surprised if Topley didn't play having been picked for the squad.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Apr 2021, 8:25 am

Will MacPherson seems to think Topley plays and Jamie Smith does too. I wonder if there is an argument for early season playing Jacks as a sole spinner and solidifiying the batting with the four seamers and a part time spin option...maybe too funky.

What’s happened to Rikki? Injured?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 08 Apr 2021, 9:58 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Will MacPherson seems to think Topley plays and Jamie Smith does too. I wonder if there is an argument for early season playing Jacks as a sole spinner and solidifiying the batting with the four seamers and a part time spin option...maybe too funky.

What’s happened to Rikki? Injured?

I saw MacPherson's thoughts after I posted yesterday. He's often right. I'll stick with my call on the team but I'm even less confident now.

Jacks playing as the sole spinner and solidifying the batting did also cross my mind. However, I don't believe we have four good enough seamers (thinking about quality and fitness) to do that for this match.

From the Club website preview: ''Rikki Clarke, having been unable to train last Thursday, was deemed not match ready for the Middlesex warm up game and unfortunately hasn't been considered for this game either.'' Odd wording. Makes me wonder if there is a disciplinary issue.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 08 Apr 2021, 10:36 am

James100 wrote:Hi all, very excited for the first full season for two years!

Agree on Moriarty and Jacks to miss out, think the last spot comes down to Dunn or Atkinson. I'd be surprised if Topley didn't play having been picked for the squad.

James gets it right as Topley plays.
Dunn joins Jacks and Moriarty on the bench.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Apr 2021, 10:40 am

Lost the toss and batting...

Strong top 6 on paper - Burns, Stoneman, Amla, Pope, Foakes, Smith. You've got five players who've played or currently are test players, and one extremely promising youngster. Clark at 7, and Overton at 8 provide some useful biffing if needed too.

Do we reckon Topley and Virdi flipped to see who lost out and has to bat at 10? Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 08 Apr 2021, 11:40 am

Poor start, Burns and stoneman each gone for 4, good bowling but not 8/2 good. Pope lookining good out there.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 08 Apr 2021, 12:10 pm

Not much movement left, but good control by the bowlers. These two need to pick off the loose balls and not do anything silly.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 08 Apr 2021, 12:20 pm

Pope gone flashing at a full wide one. That's probably his biggest weakness, he often goes after those - to be fair he scores runs with the shot but I think it's a risk he takes too often.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Apr 2021, 1:40 pm

Decent first session for the Rey I'd say, Amla playing very nicely
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Apr 2021, 4:07 pm

Second session not so decent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 08 Apr 2021, 4:18 pm

Roll on next season Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Apr 2021, 9:49 am

220/9 at the end of day one.

Hmmm. It might just prove to be an adequate score, particularly if Topley and Virdi can somehow conjure up another 20 runs. However, it's still disappointing; particularly, as Olly said yesterday, as we have a strong top 6 on paper and two useful biffers at 7 and 8.

A few starts yesterday but no one - not even Amla with his 56 - properly going on. I was out in the afternoon but watched most of the morning session - Pope's dismissal was ghastly, a very loose shot with neither his bat or feet under control. Only one partnership of 50+ as well. At least Overton came fairly good with his 40 - if he can also do his main job and take wickets, he'll be a valuable signing.

Gloucs have no real pace or tricks in their attack but they do benefit from largely bowling a good line and straight. I see Shaw ended the day with a fourfer. I saw him at the Oval playing for Yorks in 2018 when I thought he had some promise although little luck that day.

As a team, Gloucs seem greater than the sum of their parts. We're going to need to bowl and field well today to prevent suggestions that we are the opposite of that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Fri 09 Apr 2021, 10:04 am

guildfordbat wrote: Gloucs have no real pace or tricks in their attack but they do benefit from largely bowling a good line and straight. I see Shaw ended the day with a fourfer. I saw him at the Oval playing for Yorks in 2018 when I thought he had some promise although little luck that day.

I liked the look of Shaw yesterday. Nothing fancy - his best ball is probably a 6/10 but he bowled that more often than not.

James100

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 09 Apr 2021, 10:17 am

Guildford, no mention for Topley/Virdi aptly seeing out the days play after a rain delay, knowing light was fading...so Gloucs bowlers have to pull on the bowling boots, and the openers don't know when they'll be padding up this morning?

Still need to knock off the pre-season cobwebs down south clearly Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Apr 2021, 10:39 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Guildford, no mention for Topley/Virdi aptly seeing out the days play after a rain delay, knowing light was fading...so Gloucs bowlers have to pull on the bowling boots, and the openers don't know when they'll be padding up this morning?

Still need to knock off the pre-season cobwebs down south clearly Wink

Not when I have such an able lieutenant to do it for me.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 09 Apr 2021, 12:37 pm

If you thought the batsmen had a bad day today....the seam bowlers this morning picard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 09 Apr 2021, 12:55 pm

It's a pity we don't play on paper, can't be any worse than on grass

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Apr 2021, 1:43 pm

Terrible session. Gloucs massively in the driving seat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 09 Apr 2021, 3:50 pm

mini fightback Gloucestershire 5 down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Apr 2021, 4:27 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:mini fightback Gloucestershire 5 down  

Yep, some much better bowling by Topley in the middle session which brought him 3 wickets.

If we are to come back in this game, it'll have to be a low scoring one. Concerning therefore that we've already gifted Gloucs 14 runs by bowling 7 no balls with Atkinson sending down 4 of them. Gloucs didn't bowl a single no ball in our first dig.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 09 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

Ditto Guildford, extras 28, would be 3rd top scorer in our inns! Jordan Clark listed on BBC as RHB/WK....he certainly bowls like a wicket keeper

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Apr 2021, 6:19 pm

Bad light. Think that's it for the day. Gloucs 311/8.

Led by Topley we came back pretty well in the last two sessions but the hosts are now 91 ahead. That keeps them well on top. Fear that today's first session has cost us dearly.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:11 am

5 Wkts for Topley clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:28 am

Gloucestershire with a lead of 106, a very useful lead

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:35 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Gloucestershire with a lead of 106, a very useful lead

Spot on, JimBob.

Gloucs have 6 bonus points to our 4. Seems a fair reflection of the game so far. We've got to do much better from here and effectively win the second innings by 107 or more. Not impossible but we're second favourites for sure.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:38 am

Hi again JimBob - going back to your opening thread, I noticed you mentioned about McKerr being on the treatment table. Do you know anything about his latest injury? Must have missed that. Cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:42 am

guildfordbat wrote:Hi again JimBob - going back to your opening thread, I noticed you mentioned about McKerr being on the treatment table. Do you know anything about his latest injury? Must have missed that. Cheers.
i may be wrong Guildford but with him not bowling in the friendly last week like Clarke i assume he must still be carrying that injury from last season.
Headscratch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 12:28 pm

Rocky gone Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 12:37 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Hi again JimBob - going back to your opening thread, I noticed you mentioned about McKerr being on the treatment table. Do you know anything about his latest injury? Must have missed that. Cheers.
i may be wrong Guildford but with him not bowling in the friendly last week like Clarke i assume he must still be carrying that injury from last season.
Headscratch

Cheers, JimBob. You're probably right.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 12:40 pm

Amla goes for 0 picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 12:46 pm

now pope picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 12:49 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Amla goes for 0 picard

Same for Pope.

Both poor and unnecessary dabs giving Bracey catching practice. Massively up against it now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 4:24 pm

Third degree really does get out to some awful deliveries Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm

Jamie out to one that kept low Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 5:14 pm

Foakes going well although I'm still fearful we could fall like dominos.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 5:21 pm

Off for bad light

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 5:46 pm

STUMPS a lead of 126
will need Foakes to get a big 100 and fifties from Jordan and Overton to have any chance of getting something from this game.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 5:46 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Off for bad light

And stumps. Surrey 232/5 leading by 126.

Could be an interesting last day if (big if) the weather behaves.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:07 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:STUMPS a lead of 126
will need Foakes to get a big 100 and fifties from Jordan and Overton to have any chance of getting something from this game.

Think you're being a tad pessimistic there, JimBob. A lead of 200 should put us in with a shout. Mind you, we'll still have to bowl well and - as said above - hope the weather behaves.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:24 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:STUMPS a lead of 126

Think you're being a tad pessimistic there, JimBob. A lead of 200 should put us in with a shout. Mind you, we'll still have to bowl well and - as said above - hope the weather behaves.
If only we had the Corporal for a weather update Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 10 Apr 2021, 7:29 pm

Think we need to bat as long as we can, and secure a draw...if possible. Take our medicine in this one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:15 pm

Snatch your hand off for a draw still

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Apr 2021, 10:55 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Think we need to bat as long as we can, and secure a draw...if possible. Take our medicine in this one

Concerning if you are downbeat, Olly.

Another 100 runs - ideally 120 - and I reckon we could pull this off. Not easy, I grant you, but possible imo.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 11 Apr 2021, 11:36 am

I should’ve added more context Guildford - I would be concerned about the control of our bowling attack defending a low total. As we saw first dig, potential to be very inconsistent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 11 Apr 2021, 1:19 pm

222 ahead at lunch, if we can get another 30 runs and take 10/12 more overs out of the match, it should make for an 'interesting' finish

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Apr 2021, 1:29 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I should’ve added more context Guildford - I would be concerned about the control of our bowling attack defending a low total. As we saw first dig, potential to be very inconsistent

Ah ok, follow that. We did at least bowl better in the middle and later stages of Gloucs' first dig; Topley really but the other seamers at least had more control than in the first session. I take some encouragement and hope from that.

Anyway, the first bit of my roadmap (god, I hate that word) for today has been accomplished as we've added 100+ to the overnight score. Maybe try and bat another 10 or 15 minutes after lunch in an attempt to add another 15 or 20 and, yes, keep their openers wondering. I was out all morning and couldn't watch but clearly a very valuable innings from Foakes with, I guess, some decent biffing from Clark.

The second bit - taking 10 wickets in less than two sessions without too many runs to play with - sure won't be easy but we've done well in the last day or so to now be in that position.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Apr 2021, 2:17 pm

15 runs for the last 5 wkts furious furious furious furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next