The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21

+53
R!skysports
Yoda
Northgrill
Maine man
Shifty
MonkeyMan
Brendan
owen10ozzy
Cyril
quinsforever
BigGee
Pete330v2
Collapse2005
bsando
tigertattie
Scottrf
Heaf
eirebilly
flyhalffactory
chris_501
cb
king_carlos
Rugby Fan
nlpnlp
LordDowlais
hugehandoff
Cumbrian
Soul Requiem
Barney McGrew did it
Recwatcher16
miltonkeynesengland
Sgt_Pooly
Poorfour
Gooseberry
MichaelT
formerly known as Sam
TJ
WELL-PAST-IT
Mr Bounce
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
No9
BamBam
whatahitson
Geordie
Duty281
Luckless Pedestrian
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
mikey_dragon
TightHEAD
57 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21 - Page 2 Empty Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21

Post by TightHEAD Sat 13 Feb 2021, 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wales v England

27th Feb

KO 16:46

England:

Daly;
Watson,
Slade,
Farrell,
May;
Ford,
Youngs;
M Vunipola,
George,
Sinckler,
Itoje,
Hill,
Wilson,
Curry,
B Vunipola.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Stuart, Ewels, Martin, Earl, Robson, Malins.

WALES

1. Wyn Jones (32 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (79 Caps)
3. Tomas Francis (54 Caps)
4. Adam Beard (23 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (CAPT) (145 Caps)
6. Josh Navidi (25 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (82 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (83 Caps)
9. Kieran Hardy (3 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (89 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (29 Caps)
12. Jonathan Davies (85 Caps)
13. George North (99 Caps)
14. Louis Rees-Zammit (6 Caps)
15. Liam Williams (68 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee (34 Caps)
17. Rhodri Jones (19 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (14 Caps)
19. Cory Hill (29 Caps)
20. James Botham (4 Caps)
21. Gareth Davies (59 Caps)
22. Callum Sheedy (6 Caps)
23. Uilisi Halaholo (1 Cap)

Last edited by TightHEAD on Thu 25 Feb 2021, 12:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21

Post by doctor_grey Sun 21 Feb 2021, 6:04 pm

You are talking about the middle 'F' in the FFS line. For those clean of thought and mind, FFS means Ford-Farrell-Slade. For the rest of us on the dark side, well.........

doctor_grey

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs England - Build Up/Match Thread - 27-2-21

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 6:30 pm

I mean scotland dominated that match up front. Complete armchair ride for an attacking 10. They thrashed us by 5 points.

I pity anyone playing outside youngs at the moment.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 21 Feb 2021, 6:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I mean scotland dominated that match up front. Complete armchair ride for an attacking 10. They thrashed us by 5 points.

crash test dummy?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I mean scotland dominated that match up front. Complete armchair ride for an attacking 10. They thrashed us by 5 points.

Not as much as I pity anyone playing outside Farrell. It's a pretty sorry state as Robson although electric ball in hand when he came on (well after the tap penalty which seemed to give him confidence) threw some pretty shocking passes including one that saw Genge catch it above his head a couple of second before the Italian defence smashed him in their 22.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 6:45 pm

Yet miles better than the stuff youngs puts up. I wouldnt have had either of them ideally but that said I think Robson should start next weekend. The freedom for youngs coming on will hopefully do him some good.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Feb 2021, 7:06 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yet miles better than the stuff youngs puts up. I wouldnt have had either of them ideally but that said I think Robson should start next weekend. The freedom for youngs coming on will hopefully do him some good.

Nope, passing wise Robson was streets behind Youngs for both 6N games hence my concern. Benny was one of our best players against Scotland (which says something about the overall performance) and Robson was probably our worst. Robson should hopefully be a handy bench impact for the rest of the tournament but if there's a summer tour in hoping we see Mitchell and Randall go and both get game time. Young JVP at Tigers looks a class act in the making but at 19 isn't going to a realistic option for a couple more seasons.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 7:19 pm

Well we're not agreeing on this point anyway Sam! I agree whole heartedly on your finishing points. JVP does look eye catching obviously that lovely break last weeks helps catch the attention.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 21 Feb 2021, 7:28 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Yet miles better than the stuff youngs puts up. I wouldnt have had either of them ideally but that said I think Robson should start next weekend. The freedom for youngs coming on will hopefully do him some good.

Nope, passing wise Robson was streets behind Youngs for both 6N games hence my concern. Benny was one of our best players against Scotland (which says something about the overall performance) and Robson was probably our worst. Robson should hopefully be a handy bench impact for the rest of the tournament but if there's a summer tour in hoping we see Mitchell and Randall go and both get game time. Young JVP at Tigers looks a class act in the making but at 19 isn't going to a realistic option for a couple more seasons.
We need scrum-halves under the age 40.  Right now, we no gots (so to speak).  Some younger guys like the kid at Tigers who looked real good the other day.  But he is still miles away from playing for England.  He looks like he can get there, and I like the energy he brings.  Hopefully that energy he shows is not 'managed' out of him by the big squad.

I thought Robson showed more energy and speed than Youngs, but didn't think he was better overall.  Against Scotland he looked was far too frantic and did not plus up the squad.  Though, to be fair, that squad needed more than one guy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 8:06 pm

Randall injured and Mitchell in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 21 Feb 2021, 8:49 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Randall injured and Mitchell in.
That's surprising, especially to a Saints man. I think he has potential, but never considered him close to an England call up right now. He has had some nice games, but I haven't seen a Saints match where he was clearly a top notch 9. He does like to have a run and is pretty fearless. Maybe that's what Eddie Jones wants?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:17 pm

For me the best passing 9 in the prem.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:26 pm

Really?  From what I have seen, he tends to be somewhat slow with his delivery and tends to be wild high at times.  Also frequently takes a half step before passing.  Not saying I prefer the current incarnation of Youngs.  And Robson just seems like a very good club man one step too far.  

Frankly, and I know this ship has sailed, Danny Care looked better than Mitchell in the matches I have seen recently.   Back in November when Quins dismantled Saints there was no comparison.  Who could be other candidates?  For some odd reason, the cupboard of young 9s seems thin.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:39 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well we're not agreeing on this point anyway Sam! I agree whole heartedly on your finishing points. JVP does look eye catching obviously that lovely break last weeks helps catch the attention.

Yeah JVP has bags of confidence and he'll challenge the line of he thinks it's on but what's impressed me more is his basics. He's a good kicker and passes quickly and precisely. He had a nightmare debut at 18 away Vs Sale during an injury crisis the other year and apparently got the nod because the coaches were so impressed by his kicking game. He seems to have learnt a great deal from that. 

Borthwick is bedding him in nicely so hopefully in a year or two he's the natural successor to Youngs. Quite frankly there's a conveyor belt of 9s at Tigers with JVP leapfrogging former under 20s captain Ben White in the pecking order already.

His try is a nice eye catching moment. Steward for the kick chase  that sets up the field position and then from JVP after that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:44 pm

It's a shame. Players such as Simpson were overlooked during the build up to the disastrous 2015 WC. He and Care could have been the centurions by now. Spencer obviously is not ticking the correct boxes for Jones. It seems that despite his great form, Randall will now not be picked due to his injury. Alex Mitchell star was shining brightly a couple of seasons ago but he's gone off the boil. Jack Maunder appears to have completely dropped off Jones' radar after a few measley minutes against Argentina in 2017. Heinz is not the future. I think the only other S/H he's capped other than Youngs, Robson, Spencer, Heinz and Care is Wigglesworth and he's practically drawing a pension.

The cupboard is indeed a bit bare Doc.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:49 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Really?  From what I have seen, he tends to be somewhat slow with his delivery and tends to be wild high at times.  Also frequently takes a half step before passing.  Not saying I prefer the current incarnation of Youngs.  And Robson just seems like a very good club man one step too far.  

Frankly, and I know this ship has sailed, Danny Care looked better than Mitchell in the matches I have seen recently.   Back in November when Quins dismantled Saints there was no comparison.  Who could be other candidates?  For some odd reason, the cupboard of young 9s seems thin.

May just be the times I've seen him that he hit his mark but yes...

The other guys next out the block could be the maunders

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:50 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well we're not agreeing on this point anyway Sam! I agree whole heartedly on your finishing points. JVP does look eye catching obviously that lovely break last weeks helps catch the attention.

Yeah JVP has bags of confidence and he'll challenge the line of he thinks it's on but what's impressed me more is his basics. He's a good kicker and passes quickly and precisely. He had a nightmare debut at 18 away Vs Sale during an injury crisis the other year and apparently got the nod because the coaches were so impressed by his kicking game. He seems to have learnt a great deal from that. 

Borthwick is bedding him in nicely so hopefully in a year or two he's the natural successor to Youngs. Quite frankly there's a conveyor belt of 9s at Tigers with JVP leapfrogging former under 20s captain Ben White in the pecking order already.

His try is a nice eye catching moment. Steward for the kick chase  that sets up the field position and then from JVP after that.

Yeah white looks a good club player but not sure about anything else. Jvp looks to have that added quality.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 22 Feb 2021, 10:32 am

Mitchell looked very good in the one chance he has had to shine vs the Barbarians couple of years ago. Jones has consistently picked him as a squad member since then when he has been available, so something must be ticking the boxes.

He has a good box kick, pace to match most wingers and despite being slight, tackles well as. Agree that his pass seems to have slowed a bit and can sometimes be wayward, but compared to Youngs in that department he is super fast and accurate.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 22 Feb 2021, 12:44 pm

I like Mitchell a lot, perhaps not surprising his form hasn't been stellar this season though, from the outside Northampton aren't playing with quite the panache of the recent past. Again he's not likely to feature in the Wales game.

Jones has been very quiet as well in the build up. Perhaps he's thinking just let the players get on with a quiet one for once, still plenty of time this week I suppose. Only bigging up LRZ saying he tried to tap him up https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56141553. Pointless as he was still living in Wales anyway so wasn't even a day into qualifying!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 22 Feb 2021, 1:10 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I like Mitchell a lot, perhaps not surprising his form hasn't been stellar this season though, from the outside Northampton aren't playing with quite the panache of the recent past. Again he's not likely to feature in the Wales game.

Jones has been very quiet as well in the build up. Perhaps he's thinking just let the players get on with a quiet one for once, still plenty of time this week I suppose. Only bigging up LRZ saying he tried to tap him up https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56141553. Pointless as he was still living in Wales anyway so wasn't even a day into qualifying!

One of Eddie's undeniable skills is the ability to distract media attention with a few words. The LRZ thing is a prime example of this.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

No 7&1/2 and Gooseberry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 22 Feb 2021, 7:36 pm

It as only just dawned on me gow big a game this week end is.

Both teams need to win this week end... England need to win to keep their hopes up of retaining the champion ship....Like wis Wales need to win, to have a chance of winning the triple crown, and having a chance of winning the tournament a possibly a Grand Slam.

Now who would of thought be the start of the tournament. Shocked

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 23 Feb 2021, 1:46 am

Will probably end as a 0-0 draw, but set a new record for kicks made in open play.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 8:40 am

Not really heard many of the traditional rumours out of the camp on selections yet. Do we reckon its going to be same as Italy or reverting to Lawrence at 12 with the shock to the system of Ford at 10? We need a new discussion point so if so I'm going with Curry to pick up the captaincy ahead of Itoje.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:14 am

I think Curry has too much on his plate already

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:28 am

Would certainly help if Lawes and Vunipola (or whoever) turned up this weekend.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:35 am

How many more times does Billy Vunipola have to publicly say he is not playing well for it to make a difference? I feel like I have been hearing it for years. Needs games under his belt to play well. Needs his brother playing to play well. He was disruptive at the world cup. There always seems to be something.

How does it help create a good culture in the team?

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:38 am

I think Lawes has turned up both games, you can't expect him to play like Underhill, but he has made his tackles, carried better than most forwards and probably been our best lineout forward.

I don't get this thing you have against him 7 1/2, he has been consistently picked by every England manager in his international career plus by Gatland and as a 6 a lot by him.

May I ask what position you played in?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:46 am

Never played WPI, bar at school.

I don't think Lawes is a good 6 at international level, especially when paired with Vunipola. Slow, slow back row. He should play at lock or not at all. I think he's a good lock but a touch worse than the ones I'd have as starters.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

majesticimperialman wrote:It as only just dawned on me gow big a game this week end is.

Both teams need to win this week end... England need to win to keep their hopes up of retaining the champion ship....Like wis Wales need to win, to have a chance of winning the triple crown, and having a chance of winning the tournament a possibly a Grand Slam.

It just doesn't feel like that big a deal to me in what should normally be a grand stand event, even more so when iboth are still in contention to win the competition. Just feels both teams are pretty flat.

Im sure the atmosphere will be different in the training camps, shouldn't be any question about the intensity it will be played with. But quality? Both teams have been lacking.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:49 am

Billy Vunipola to Montpellier.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:01 am

MichaelT wrote:How many more times does Billy Vunipola have to publicly say he is not playing well for it to make a difference? I feel like I have been hearing it for years. Needs games under his belt to play well. Needs his brother playing to play well. He was disruptive at the world cup. There always seems to be something.

He's been playing very poorly. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/23/billy-vunipola-admits-ive-been-playing-rubbish-england-six-nations-rugby-union

Perhaps there is something about having his brother with him in the camp, must be very tough the way England have approached the tournament, very isolating. Marler thought better of it of course.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:09 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
MichaelT wrote:How many more times does Billy Vunipola have to publicly say he is not playing well for it to make a difference? I feel like I have been hearing it for years. Needs games under his belt to play well. Needs his brother playing to play well. He was disruptive at the world cup. There always seems to be something.

He's been playing very poorly. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/23/billy-vunipola-admits-ive-been-playing-rubbish-england-six-nations-rugby-union

Perhaps there is something about having his brother with him in the camp, must be very tough the way England have approached the tournament, very isolating. Marler thought better of it of course.

They had an interview with Genge on the good the bad and the rugby podcast. The set up does sound tough with a lot of isolation in their hotel rooms.

It is well worth realising that although it is great that we are seeing some rugby, the circumstances driven by covid will almost certainly have a negative impact on the player performances. We are not seeing the best of the NH teams.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:17 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Never played WPI, bar at school.

I don't think Lawes is a good 6 at international level, especially when paired with Vunipola. Slow, slow back row. He should play at lock or not at all. I think he's a good lock but a touch worse than the ones I'd have as starters.

I would agree that his best position is lock however he brings something to the backrow that none of the other contenders do, a third specialist jumper. When he is not there the opposition seem to be very good at disrupting our lineouts, none of Curry, Underhill or Earl are even good jumpers, useful okay, but not in Lawes' league. He is also like one of you favorite players an absolute menace in the maul off a lineout.

He is a lot better than most people think at the breakdown and regularly gets a turnover or two, not as good as Curry or Earl agreed.

A back row of Lawes Curry and Earl would be my choice from this current squad as I agree BV is not up to scratch at the moment. Earl out in the line for lineouts would be a lot better than a dawdling BV.

As someone who played rugby in the back row from 8 until 47 I can recognise a lot of the subtle thinks he does that do not catch the eye, a bit like Wilson he is the glue that holds the fabric of the team together with support for other players, holding opposition players in position by being on the shoulder or in a position to take a pass. He is also adapt at having quite words and offering advice to players who have made mistakes.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:19 am

lostinwales wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

They had an interview with Genge on the good the bad and the rugby podcast. The set up does sound tough with a lot of isolation in their hotel rooms.

It is well worth realising that although it is great that we are seeing some rugby, the circumstances driven by covid will almost certainly have a negative impact on the player performances. We are not seeing the best of the NH teams.

From the sound of that interview it looks like he has been told he is playing Sunday.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:25 am

majesticimperialman wrote:It as only just dawned on me gow big a game this week end is.

Just thought I'd correct that for you.. as Wales will WIN the Triple Crown this week if they win, not have a chance at winning it. Minor, but accurate correction. Wasnt pedantic enough to correct your spelling though thumbsup

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:27 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

From the sound of that interview it looks like he has been told he is playing Sunday.

So he's not playing against Wales then... censored

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:52 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Never played WPI, bar at school.

I would agree that his best position is lock however he brings something to the backrow that none of the other contenders do, a third specialist jumper. When he is not there the opposition seem to be very good at disrupting our lineouts, none of Curry, Underhill or Earl are even good jumpers, useful okay, but not in Lawes' league. He is also like one of you favorite players an absolute menace in the maul off a lineout.

He is a lot better than most people think at the breakdown and regularly gets a turnover or two, not as good as Curry or Earl agreed.

A back row of Lawes Curry and Earl would be my choice from this current squad as I agree BV is not up to scratch at the moment. Earl out in the line for lineouts would be a lot better than a dawdling BV.

As someone who played rugby  in the back row from 8 until 47 I can recognise a lot of the subtle thinks he does that do not catch the eye, a bit like Wilson he is the glue that holds the fabric of the team together with support for other players, holding opposition players in position  by being on the shoulder or in a position to take a pass. He is also adapt at having quite words and offering advice to players who have made mistakes.

Lawes, Curry and Earl would be a better balance I agree. Its a bit make do and mend though with the current rules on selection.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:02 am

Cold you imagine what the crowd in attendance would be saying about Billy if fans were allowed in? Would be fairly brutal.

doctor_grey

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:07 am

lostinwales wrote:I think Curry has too much on his plate already

I think Billy's the one who's had too much curry on his plate ( his brother too)

Gooseberry

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:50 am

Billy on his form

"I've just been playing rubbish, I can’t lie. I need to turn up this weekend and that’s what I’m planning on doing.”

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 24 Feb 2021, 2:25 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Billy on his form

"I've just been playing rubbish, I can’t lie. I need to turn up this weekend and that’s what I’m planning on doing.”

You could read that two ways...
Poorfour
Poorfour

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 24 Feb 2021, 2:56 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Billy on his form

That's the mentality of a winner.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 25 Feb 2021, 9:53 am

No9 wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

So he's not playing against Wales then... censored

He will be picked and run out onto the field, but he won't turn up mentally until Sunday on form so far this 6N.

Well spotted.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 25 Feb 2021, 10:09 am

Not as many of the usual leaks about the team sheet this week, only one I could find was in the Mail. They're saying the only change to the starting XV is George back in with LCD moving to the bench, and George Martin taking Willis' place on the bench

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 25 Feb 2021, 10:21 am

BamBam wrote:Not as many of the usual leaks about the team sheet this week, only one I could find was in the Mail. They're saying the only change to the starting XV is George back in with LCD moving to the bench, and George Martin taking Willis' place on the bench

Well that is something in itself. LCD was very good last time out and does currently seem in better form. That is also a big jump for Martin as the thinking was he was in for the experience only.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 25 Feb 2021, 10:48 am

And what of Odogwu?
Is Lawrence going to put the jersey on again?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 25 Feb 2021, 10:58 am

Robson was all over the place against Scotland but improved notably against Italy (hard to really rate this.)

On Youngs, he's quite possibly got the worst pass of a scrum half I think I've ever seen at international level....bar Bergamasco of course. I find it absolutely baffling that a player in his position can be so bad at one of his core skills. That Ford can still look quality playing alongside him is a real credit.

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Thu 25 Feb 2021, 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 25 Feb 2021, 11:04 am

From the rfu site

ENGLAND TEAM TO FACE WALES IN SIX NATIONS ANNOUNCED

Posted 2 Minutes Ago

Eddie Jones has named his side for this weekend’s key Guinness Six Nations match against Wales.England Senior Men

England will travel to Cardiff to take on Wales at the Principality Stadium on Saturday 27 February (4.45pm KO).

O2 Inside Line: The Next Level | Meet the coachesListen to Cowan-Dickie and Slade on England Rugby Podcast: O2 Inside LineGet the latest news from Test Talk: Inside the bubble

Elliot Daly is set to make his 50th appearance for England, at full back.  Daly made his England debut in February 2016 in a 21-10 victory over Ireland.

Captain Owen Farrell is at inside centre, Henry Slade at outside centre and George Ford stays at fly half.  Ben Youngs continues at scrum half, with Jonny May (left) and Anthony Watson (right) on the wings.

Jamie George returns at hooker, with Mako Vunipola and Kyle Sinckler as props alongside in the back row.  Maro Itoje and Jonny Hill stay in the second row.

Mark Wilson starts as blind-side flanker, Tom Curry is open-side flanker and Billy Vunipola continues at No. 8.

George Martin could make his England debut after being named as finisher. Luke Cowan-Dickie, Ellis Genge, Will Stuart, Ben Earl, Charlie Ewels, Dan Robson and Max Malins make up the finishers.

Eddie Jones said: “Wales is a really special fixture and rivalry.  There is a long history between the two nations and the game means a lot to both countries.

“We know we’ll be up against a strong Welsh challenge on Saturday, but we’ve worked really hard in training this week and have got a very good team to face it.

“We want to show people what we are capable of, keep building our performances and the best is yet to come from this England team.”

In their remaining championship fixtures, England will then play France at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday 13 March (4.45pm KO) before travelling to Dublin to take on Ireland on Saturday 20 March (4.45pm KO).

Wales v England is live on BBC One and BBC Radio 5 Live. 

ENGLAND

15. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 49 caps)
14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 48 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 36 caps)
12. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 90 caps)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 63 caps)
10. George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 74 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 106 caps)

1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 64 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 56 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 41 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 45 caps)
5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 6 caps)
6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 20 caps)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 30 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 58 caps)

FINISHERS

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 28 caps)
17. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 25 caps)
18. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 10 caps)
19. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 18 caps)
20. George Martin (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
21. Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 10 caps)
22. Dan Robson (Wasps, 9 caps)
23. Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 5 caps)

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 25 Feb 2021, 11:08 am

Mixed bag really. At least we have flankers playing at 6 and 7. Really big game needed wilson and Vunipola. Dont know how a few of these guys keep getting chances at the moment but it looks a team picked to dominate up front again. We saw them do this last year they just need to pull their socks up.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 25 Feb 2021, 11:09 am

Phew.. that's a relief.

I was worried Uncle Eddie would put out a strong side... Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 25 Feb 2021, 11:09 am

'Finishers' FFS.

Luckless Pedestrian

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next