The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
Davie
Shotrock
JAS
Pal Joey
I'm never wrong
westisbest
BlueCoverman
pedro
navyblueshorts
McLaren
superflyweight
beninho
Soul Requiem
super_realist
JuliusHMarx
19 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 2 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 29 Oct 2020, 1:39 am

First topic message reminder :

How have some individuals got to the point where all they do is whinge and moan and complain about other people without any sense of compassion for those less well off than themselves through no fault of their own?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Sat 31 Oct 2020, 11:30 pm

Ridiculous knee jerk reaction to stop outdoor activities like golf but still allow elite football to carry on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Pal Joey Sun 01 Nov 2020, 12:27 am

I agree that's silly.

Here we have 133 golf courses (58 public and 75 private) which have been open every day since the virus broke out.

There have been 53 deaths in NSW (less 22 from a cruise ship) so effectively only 31 fatalities in a city of 5.5 million. None from a golf course.

So perhaps it should be the other way round - it should be a mandatory requirement to spend time on a golf course - at least 3 hours a day.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 01 Nov 2020, 5:26 am

super_realist wrote:
westisbest wrote:Just saw that Sean Connery has died.

A lot of people’s favourite bond.

Very good actor.

RIP 007

Well overdue. Been in some great films.
A legend.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 01 Nov 2020, 5:58 am

Petition running to get golf exempt from lockdown. HERE

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 01 Nov 2020, 6:20 am

Surprised that golf has stopped.

Glad football/rugby continuing. Some sport to watch at least.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Nov 2020, 10:04 am

My guess on golf is that they've just lumped all sports in and said banned. I think they have rushed in to the decision to sort of lockdown and not planned it all out. Think they will reassess as they go.

Though if the point is to stop mixing and keeping people apart then it all makes sense.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 01 Nov 2020, 10:23 am

To ensure a clear message it makes sense to treat all sport the same, a lot of the criticism of the government has been based on unclear messaging.

Soul Requiem

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 01 Nov 2020, 10:57 am

The actual detail will be published on Monday, then Parliament will vote on it Wednesday, so there is a very slim possibility it might change.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Nov 2020, 1:01 pm

A lot of criticism of the government seems to be from peopke who don't want any minor form of lockdown. Though these are generally all a bit mad like Hartley brewer and the like. Other criticism is that, why didn't they role it in with half term. It was the obvious thing.

I'm struggling to see anyone that doesn't fall in these gaps.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 01 Nov 2020, 9:41 pm

I think the problem is that the government are only following one aspect of science, which is in itself unscientific.
There is no absolute science but the government are acting as if there is.

Last edited by super_realist on Sun 01 Nov 2020, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 01 Nov 2020, 9:45 pm

I notice that the BBC have now made "man of the match" gender neutral. Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Nov 2020, 10:46 pm

super_realist wrote:I notice that the BBC have now made "man of the match" gender neutral. Rolling Eyes

What player of the match? You know they cover womens football.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 01 Nov 2020, 10:52 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:I notice that the BBC have now made "man of the match" gender neutral. Rolling Eyes

What player of the match? You know they cover womens football.

Yes, but I saw mens rugby and mens football which both had a "player of the match"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Nov 2020, 11:10 pm

And?

Whats wrong with a general player of the match for all sports? Maybe I'm missing something.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 01 Nov 2020, 11:34 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Personchester United's next match then on the BBC.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 01 Nov 2020, 11:39 pm

That is one of the worst jokes I've ever heard. And I remember watching boobs in the wood a Jim Davidson panto when I was a young teenager.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 01 Nov 2020, 11:54 pm

I just don't understand why the BBC has gone all Justin Trudea when it's got far bigger issues in its ranks than believing that anyone was actually bothered by the term "Man of the match".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:00 am

Its political correctness gone mad!

I see farage has a new party with Tice that looks right up your street realist.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:05 am

Why would I think I'm a Brexiteer? Anyway, it's not a new party, it's a change of name.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:09 am

BlueCoverman wrote:JAS I notice Secret Valley has now been rebranded as Venus Rock. More Cypriot dodgy dealing no doubt?
Hi Blue, the Venus Rock thing has been around for about 7 or 8 years, You're right to think dodgy dealing may have been involved though. Initially I was quite encouraged when it was announced as I thought all the infrastructure would then finally get built but then came the dawning realisation that the big money became a bit reticent about getting closely involved with Aristo. About 6 years ago the Aristo chief exec got dragged through the courts on corruption charges, how he avoided jail I have no idea but. We are no in 2020 and there's still no infrastructure built, the "big money" has moved elsewhere on the island. Such is Cyprus, glad I'm out to be honest.

JAS

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:11 am

super_realist wrote:Why would I think I'm a Brexiteer? Anyway, it's not a new party, it's a change of name.

You just seem to be very much aligned with the thinking of farage and co.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:15 am

Because I don't have your politics I must support them? It's funny how you appear to think that everyone who doesn't vote Corbyn, like you is some sort of rabid right winger.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:20 am

super_realist wrote:Because I don't have your politics I must support them? It's funny how you appear to think that everyone who doesn't vote Corbyn, like you is some sort of rabid right winger.

You were literally moaning about player of the match. You fit right in with them. You are a frothy at the mouth farafe type if ever I've seen one. Not sure why you are denying it. You seem to embrace it. Though, you do differ from him on feeding hungry kids.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:25 am

Soul Requiem wrote:It's a joyous day seeing Corbyn's reputation dismantled further but unsure what the ramifications for the party itself will be, are the left wing of the party going to simply stand by?

Not sure his reputation is any different, to me what it brings into sharp focus is his total political ineptness which when he was the leader made his leadership a total vacuum in some key areas.
To be fair to him what he was saying in his mind was totally correct and looking at it without any baggage there's some validity in what he said BUT political astuteness should have told him to STFU and NOT pour petrol on the flames, he left Starmer no choice really and to be fair to Starmer he did what he had to do.

The two of them are an excellent illustration of the Power/Principle dichotomy that Labour leaders periodically have to wrestle with.

Corbyn is all principle without power whereas Starmer is shaping up to promote the approach of "look, if some principles have to be sacrificed to get us power then so be it"

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:29 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Because I don't have your politics I must support them? It's funny how you appear to think that everyone who doesn't vote Corbyn, like you is some sort of rabid right winger.

You were literally moaning about player of the match. You fit right in with them. You are a frothy at the mouth farafe type if ever I've seen one. Not sure why you are denying it. You seem to embrace it. Though, you do differ from him on feeding hungry kids.

Whereas you're frothing at the mouth because someone has a different view to you, the irony of it.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:30 am

To be fair, I'd struggle to label you soft left :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:41 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:

Whereas you're frothing at the mouth because someone has a different view to you, the irony of it.

Because I cant understand how people are so stupid. It must be hard.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 02 Nov 2020, 12:51 am

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:

Because I cant understand  how people are so stupid. It must be hard.

You continue to astound me in that regard, imagine getting so irritated because someone has a different opinion to you.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:02 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:

You continue to astound me in that regard, imagine getting so irritated because someone has a different opinion to you.

Its very annoying. Though I will again add the caveat, and I've done this on multiple times, not everything I say is serious.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:09 am

You get annoyed by people having a different opinion to you?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:13 am

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:

Ben, the man with no opinion about anything, is that you?

It's called CONVERSATION. Without it we wouldn't have a board, if you don't want to discuss it fine, talk about something else.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:21 am

Soul Requiem wrote:You get annoyed by people having a different opinion to you?

Don't we all. Especially if those opinions are down right idiotic.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:24 am

I do consider myself fairly thick skinned, I take a lot of "Jock-baiting" from my golf buddies and of course give it back with gusto and we call it banter, so when it comes to political correctness and things like oh you can't say this and you can't say that my initial instincts are "oh ffs grow a pair" but there is an increasing realisation on my part that for WHATEVER reason, not everyone has the same thick skin as me.

People do get offended, some more than others, So...imagine living in Hampshire and having to report to the Police such victimisation....

https://news.sky.com/story/hampshire-police-officers-in-toxic-unit-recorded-using-racist-sexist-and-homophobic-language-misconduct-hearing-told-12108168

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:26 am

beninho wrote:

I'm not seeing the idiocy myself, just the usual over reaction from you.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:37 am

JAS wrote:I do consider myself fairly thick skinned, I take a lot of "Jock-baiting" from my golf buddies and of course give it back with gusto and we call it banter, so when it comes to political correctness and things like oh you can't say this and you can't say that my initial instincts are "oh ffs grow a pair" but there is an increasing realisation on my part that for WHATEVER reason, not everyone has the same thick skin as me.

People do get offended, some more than others, So...imagine living in Hampshire and having to report to the Police such victimisation....

https://news.sky.com/story/hampshire-police-officers-in-toxic-unit-recorded-using-racist-sexist-and-homophobic-language-misconduct-hearing-told-12108168

The simple refrain to someone claiming to be offended is "so bloody what"
No one has a right to not be offended. Nothing happens when you are offended.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:37 am

beninho wrote:

A man who voted for Corbyn accusing the opinions of others being idiotic. There's irony for you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:41 am

So bloody what.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:42 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
So bloody what.

Who said I was offended? I was saying it was typical BBC pandering.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:55 am

super_realist wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
So bloody what.

Who said I was offended? I was saying it was typical BBC pandering.
Glad that you're happy with it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:57 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

A man who voted for Corbyn accusing the opinions of others being idiotic. There's irony for you.

An idiotic view is having issues with player of the match.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:58 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:

I'm not seeing the idiocy myself, just the usual over reaction from you.

Overreaction from me! Never.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 1:58 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

Or an idiotic view is having an issue with Man of the Match. Goes both ways.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 02 Nov 2020, 2:03 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

It's an opinion, the hyperbole makes you look like a child throwing his toys out the pram.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Nov 2020, 2:06 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

The implication being that anyone who voted for Corbyn was an idiot? That's a bit binary isn't it? Almost like leavers and remainers calling each other idiots....you didn't vote the same as me therefore you must be an idiot. Oh and before the retorts come back, yes I have previously said that I think that unless you're earning more than £50k a year and/or have no social conscience then its idiotic to vote Tory....but at least I made a vague attempt to try and qualify/reason/caveat it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 2:21 am

No,  having an opinion that Corbyn is someone worth voting for is idiotic

If you noticed I was responding to Ben who claimed I was an idiot for having a different opinion to him and I was pointing out the irony in his claim because he didn't seem to have the view that he held idiotic opinions when a vote for Corbyn demonstrates that on that point at least, he does.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 2:25 am

Realist thinks my views are idiotic I think his are.

Its just a fun bit of playfulness.

( in reality i really could not give a sh£t but where is the fun in that)

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Nov 2020, 2:43 am

super_realist wrote:No,  having an opinion that Corbyn is someone worth voting for is idiotic

If you noticed I was responding to Ben who claimed I was an idiot for having a different opinion to him and I was pointing out the irony in his claim because he didn't seem to have the view that he held idiotic opinions when a vote for Corbyn demonstrates that on that point at least, he does.

I would still vote Corbyn over Johnson. Though my vote counted for nothing anyway.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 2:45 am

I didnt (and wouldn't) vote for either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Nov 2020, 3:05 am

super_realist wrote:No,  having an opinion that Corbyn is someone worth voting for is idiotic

Unless one lives in Islington North they're not voting for Corbyn, they're voting for the Labour movement. Would it have been wise to vote for that movement whilst it was being poorly led, hmmm, questionable maybe, idiotic no. The movement is a constant, slowly evolving over time. It's leadership is a totally transient thing that changes on a fairly regular basis....look it already has!!.
What you (not so) very cleverly try to do is conflate those two very disparate thing together. You ridicule the whole movement because it temporarily drifted toward the left kerb during a period of vacuous questionable leadership.

That particular blip has now been 'corrected', time to move on. The trouble is, with moving on, the problem the party will have is that a LOT of what Corbyn wanted DID actually make sense to a lot of members, members that joined under his leadership. A lot of his principles were bang on but he couldn't lead and he couldn't market either himself or the party to the electorate. He wasn't weak but his leadership approach and his lack of media savvy allowed him to be portrayed even weaker than he was. Starmer has a very very fine line to tread, he hasn't got a Blair type charisma but he does come across as having a sound grasp of his brief (as you would expect from his employment history). That's fine but what he also seems to have is a willingness to be a "focus group slave". That can cut both ways, it CAN help align him and the party more with public opinion but at the same time it can also lead to accusations of sell-out from the left and desperation for power accusations from the Tories. To me the left need to shape up and shut up because if Starmer fails abysmally at the next election they we are well and truly doomed to this current shower of halfwits for a generation. Maybe we should all just buy shares in Serco and accept it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Nov 2020, 3:08 am

JAS wrote:

Unless one lives in Islington North they're not voting for Corbyn, they're voting for the Labour movement. Would it have been wise to vote for that movement whilst it was being poorly led, hmmm, questionable maybe, idiotic no. The movement is a constant, slowly evolving over time. It's leadership is a totally transient thing that changes on a fairly regular basis....look it already has!!.
What you (not so) very cleverly try to do is conflate those two very disparate thing together. You ridicule the whole movement because it temporarily drifted toward the left kerb during a period of vacuous questionable leadership.

That particular blip has now been 'corrected', time to move on. The trouble is, with moving on, the problem  the party will have is that a LOT of what Corbyn wanted DID actually make sense to a lot of members, members that joined under his leadership. A lot of his principles were bang on but he couldn't lead and he couldn't market either himself or the party to the electorate. He wasn't weak but his leadership approach and his lack of media savvy allowed him to be portrayed even weaker than he was. Starmer has a very very fine line to tread, he hasn't got a Blair type charisma but he does come across as having a sound grasp of his brief (as you would expect from his employment history). That's fine but what he also seems to have is a willingness to be a "focus group slave". That can cut both ways, it CAN help align him and the party more with public opinion but at the same time it can also lead to accusations of sell-out from the left and desperation for power accusations from the Tories.  To me the left need to shape up and shut up because if Starmer fails abysmally at the next election they we are well and truly doomed to this current shower of halfwits for a generation. Maybe we should all just buy shares in Serco and accept it.

Yes and no. They are voting for Labour, but they were also voting for Corbyn and his loony far left incarnation of Labour, and this failed hysterically and rather obviously. 
Anyone can see that this was never going to be a popular route for the party to go down, but they carried on regardless and failed in THREE general elections against the worst Tory party and the worst leaders in history, so it was hardly a temporary blip. 

Now they at least seem to be making progress, however this simply wasn't my point. 
I was addressing Ben for claiming my opinions were stupid because they were different from his, implying that his opinions were not stupid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next