The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough

+22
DP
wadey101
hampo17
Afro
wheelchair1991
Luke
Lowlandbrit
formerly known as Sam
x12x
compelling and rich
dummy_half
lfc91
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Atila
JDizzle
Beer
westisbest
daraghj82
Soul Requiem
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
26 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough - Page 5 Empty 2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:52 am

First topic message reminder :

We have our 20 as Fulham take the playoff spot and we welcome back West Brom, Fulham and, most importantly to the nation (apparently) Leeds.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough - Page 5 Empty Re: 2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough

Post by Soul Requiem Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Liverpool haven't been in sparkling form either this season so a bit premature there Duty.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough - Page 5 Empty Re: 2020/21 Premier League Thread: VAR Check Complete - No Cough

Post by Guest Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Bilic sacked. Allardyce expected to replace him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Seems a bit harsh to sack Bilic, but if you've got Big Sam lined up I suppose it's guaranteed survival.

The PL will be richer for having Allardyce return, though I'm surprised he's coming back with his health issues. I thought he'd given up the game for good.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Were Pulis and Pearson unavailable
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:57 am

Big Sam returning and Clive Tyldesley + Andy Townsend reunited in the commentary box for Arsenal/Southampton. The best day in Premier League history?

Certainly is, Clive.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:01 am

Liverpool take the biggest step, so far, to retaining the title with a powerful header from Firmino giving them a late 2-1 win over Tottenham. Classic Mourinho set-up eventually worn down by a persistent Liverpool attack.

Everton get another strong win, this time over inconsistent Leicester, while Southampton dropped two points away to Arsenal. Southgate needs to get Ward-Prowse in the England side, he's having a great season.

I think the title race is effectively over, but the race for top four is more tightly contested than ever, with only six points separating third-placed Southampton and 12th-placed Palace.

Oh dear, Maureen's claimed his side deserved to win.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:37 am

I'm not a Liverpool fan by any means, but I wasn't sorry to see them beat Spurs today. Even though I generally have no problem with Spurs, I think the media is getting a little too carried away with them and Mourinho.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:19 pm

I like Big Sam. Just a shame for him (hopefully) that his first game in charge will be a loss Wink

Re title. Long way to go yet. Crazy season so far.
Lot of twists ahead.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Personally thought Mourinho got it spot on last night. Liverpool created nothing of note. Salah’s goal was as lucky as you can get, ball hits Alderweirald and Dier before looping into the top corner.
Had Bergwijn shown the composure Son showed then Tottenham would’ve been home and dry before Firminho’s smash and grab.
Klopp’s antics on the touch line are embarrassing. Needs some lessons in humility.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:46 am

Sheffield United 2-3 Manchester United. Manchester come from behind for the sixth away league game in a row to take all three points.
Dean Henderson had a moment to forget on his return to Yorkshire his hesitation gifted McGoldrick the opener. Seemed to wake up the visitors whom hit back with Rashford, Martial and Rashford again seemingly getting the job done.
McGoldrick added a second and a good save by Henderson means Manchester are 5pts off top with a game in hand.

Manchester record is quite bizarre
1 win at home yet 6 wins on the road.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Leicester, very similar. Fantastic away record, and horrific at home. Both at their best, as counter attacking sides.

If Rodgers had been able to evolve the Foxes and given them a plan B, they’d probably be top of the PL right now. Unfortunately, he hasn’t, and struggling to break down the lesser sides, particularly at home, has cost them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:22 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Sheffield United 2-3 Manchester United. Manchester come from behind for the sixth away league game in a row to take all three points.
Dean Henderson had a moment to forget on his return to Yorkshire his hesitation gifted McGoldrick the opener. Seemed to wake up the visitors whom hit back with Rashford, Martial and Rashford again seemingly getting the job done.
McGoldrick added a second and a good save by Henderson means Manchester are 5pts off top with a game in hand.

Manchester record is quite bizarre
1 win at home yet 6 wins on the road.
I don't think it's that bizarre. With no fans allowed in stadiums, there seems to be no advantage in playing in your own stadium.

What has gone unnoticed by many is that United have won more points than Liverpool and City since February this year.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:49 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:
Klopp’s antics on the touch line are embarrassing. Needs some lessons in humility.

Klopp is becoming increasingly irritating in recent months. He was a breath of fresh air to start with but the over exuberance and the constant whining about both substitutions and injuries have made him difficult to listen to. The 5 sub rule only really benefits the bigger more expensive squads so has rightly been rejected.

Soul Requiem

Duty281 and wheelchair1991 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:18 am

7-0 for Liverpool at Palace. Oddly enough Liverpool weren't brilliant, just their finishing was awesome. Palace were incredibly naive and their defensive organisation was, surprisingly, awful.

(Enjoyed the common sense of only one added minute in the second half, well done officials)

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:46 am

Manchester City spend so much money of CBs but they look so shaky defensively.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:22 am

Another defeat for Arteta. Time must be up?

Can’t believe Everton sit second in the PL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:40 am

Thought Southampton were well worth a point earlier, just couldn't convert their chances. KWP, Vestergaard, Ward-Prowse and Walcott all having very good seasons.  If Southampton had any decent depth to their squad, they could have been a contender for top four, instead they'll probably drop away soon.

Looked like Mourinho was managing City for large parts of the game, with eleven behind the ball and frequent timewasting. Still not clicking for them this season. Top four far from guaranteed in a very squeezed race.

Arsenal are in an actual relegation battle, not something I'd ever thought I'd type. After the Boxing Day game against Chelsea, they've got two crucial away games against Brighton and West Brom - fail to win any of those three and we'll know they're deep in the mire.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:45 am

I keep reading online ‘Lampard and Ole are PE teachers’. Lord only knows what Arteta is then.

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:I keep reading online ‘Lampard and Ole are PE teachers’. Lord only knows what Arteta is then.

Dreadful really, imagine if Ole was getting the results Arteta was the media would be all over him, but because the media hyped up arteta so much and brought into him so much initially they still aren’t critical of him as much as they should be

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:11 am

Tottenham lose 0-2 at home to Leicester, as their title charge begins to unravel. Mourinho will be spitting about a rubbish defensive performance.

Best Christmas present for Klopp as his side now have a healthy four point lead at the top (though that could be cut by Villa/United with their games in hand).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:11 am

Manchester United are 4-0 up against Leeds United after 37 minutes. If Leeds could defend they’d be some side...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 am

Manchester United 6-2 Leeds United. Quite frankly a ridiculous game. 43 combined shots. Some substandard defending. Manchester are 5pts off top with a game in hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:53 am

Good win for United today. Great to see them in third place above City, Tottenham and Chelsea...especially Tottenham, who just a few days ago many were picking to win the title with Mourinho with his mojo back...etc..

Unless Ole is fired this week, it will mean that he's made it to another Christmas. Laugh

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:02 am

It was hit and hope tactics from Bielsa. Two teams with woeful defences so just try and score one more than the opposition. Trouble is, Manchester United went 3-0 up in no time at all and it was game over. Entertaining watch though.

Manchester United up to third but they won't be finishing top four this season as the defence is too leaky, and is unlikely to be remedied come January. At the moment their attackers are fit and in form so the goals are flowing and the wins are coming. There will come a time when the attackers won't be fit and in form, then conceding two goals against the likes of Sheffield United and Leeds becomes a problem.

Looks like Big Sam's return to the PL arena will be a disappointing one. One down and a man down at HT.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:31 am

Good win for the Villa tonight. Was frustrating at 1-0.

Got the job done in the end. Another win on the road and another clean sheet.

UTV.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:58 am

Duty281 wrote:It was hit and hope tactics from Bielsa. Two teams with woeful defences so just try and score one more than the opposition. Trouble is, Manchester United went 3-0 up in no time at all and it was game over. Entertaining watch though.

Manchester United up to third but they won't be finishing top four this season as the defence is too leaky, and is unlikely to be remedied come January. At the moment their attackers are fit and in form so the goals are flowing and the wins are coming. There will come a time when the attackers won't be fit and in form, then conceding two goals against the likes of Sheffield United and Leeds becomes a problem.

Looks like Big Sam's return to the PL arena will be a disappointing one. One down and a man down at HT.
United's defence has so far, only conceded 2 more goals than Liverpool's defence in the Prem and they've played a game less.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:33 pm

I don't think Man United will win the title but the constant dismissal of the team is getting a bit silly. They have an attack to worry any team in the league and on their day can steamroll teams something that is happening more and more often, the defence is a concern but as long as they keep scoring it doesn't seem to matter.

Soul Requiem

Atila likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:30 am

Atila wrote:
Duty281 wrote:It was hit and hope tactics from Bielsa. Two teams with woeful defences so just try and score one more than the opposition. Trouble is, Manchester United went 3-0 up in no time at all and it was game over. Entertaining watch though.

United's defence has so far, only conceded 2 more goals than Liverpool's defence in the Prem and they've played a game less.

Liverpool have been in an extraordinary position, however, with injuries. They've lost VVD and Gomez long-term, and at other times they've lost Allison, Robertson and Trent to short-term injuries. They've had to play reserve, youth and out-of-position players at various times to cover positions. Things will (are) get better for them on the defensive front.

United, by contrast, have had the luxury of picking their first-choice defence for the majority of their games and the result is they've got the worst defence, by goals conceded, of top half teams and rank in the bottom half for clean sheets. There's little scope for improvement on this front, unless they invest in January.

I'd be highly surprised if United got top four with this current squad. I think they'll finish 6th or 7th.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Mauricio Pochettino heading to PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:41 am

Just John wrote:Mauricio Pochettino heading to PSG
It was only a couple of weeks ago that I read that United had contacted Pochettino and he was close to signing on as manager, that turned out to be BS. If this turns out to be true and Pochettino does sign for PSG, GOOD! I've gown tired of hearing how Pochettino is going to United.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:52 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:Lampard showed nothing to show he’s capable of becoming a decent manager.

Tbh, he’s been getting exposed for a while, especially tactically. Hasn’t been able to create a team either, just solely reliant upon individuals to bail the team out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:03 am

Time running out for Frank.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:13 am

Dreadful performance from Chelsea. The 433 that was going so well has been worked out, so needs to try something different. Whether that is personnel or formation. Werner doesn't add enough to build up play out on the wing, especially paired with Pulisic who gives the ball away plenty as well. Means they never have enough of it in the final third to work something. CHO added that when he came on and is a must start vs Villa.

Not sure a penalty that was never a penalty, a great free kick hit and a misdirected cross signals a great turn around for Arsenal either tbf.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:24 am

Wonder what Sheff Utd do if this continues for another 5-10 games. Clearly in an ideal world even if they go down, Wilder gets a crack again in the championship, but if we’re reaching 20-25 games played without a win, then surely it’s beyond the point he gets that opportunity...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:22 am

Liverpool 1-1 West Brom.

Seen enough to know that Big Sam will lead his team to safety, as he always does. Brilliant defensive organisation, limiting Liverpool to just two good chances all game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:24 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Wonder what Sheff Utd do if this continues for another 5-10 games. Clearly in an ideal world even if they go down, Wilder gets a crack again in the championship, but if we’re reaching 20-25 games played without a win, then surely it’s beyond the point he gets that opportunity...

Loyalty can only stretch to a certain point, and at the moment Sheffield United are on course to get fewer points than Derby in 07/08.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:12 am

Mourinho has reverted to type in recent weeks and Tottenham are suffering as a result, there is no need to try and sit on 1-0 lead for 89 minutes.

Soul Requiem

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:27 am

Another case of points dropped for Chelsea, as Frank moves closer to the exit door. Might start to be early concerns that they may not make top four. Villa having a phenomenal season so far.

Everton-City called off. Could be heading to a league postponement with covid cases, as expected due to winter, soaring nationwide and this likely to have an impact on clubs - League 1 in particular has been hit hard by covid.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:33 am

Duty281 wrote:Liverpool 1-1 West Brom.

Seen enough to know that Big Sam will lead his team to safety, as he always does. Brilliant defensive organisation, limiting Liverpool to just two good chances all game.
I hope Allardyce succeeds with keeping WBA up. I think he's a good manager who could easily get his teams to play more attractive football if he's given the time and the funds.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:01 am

Atila wrote:

I hope Allardyce succeeds with keeping WBA up. I think he's a good manager who could easily get his teams to play more attractive football if he's given the time and the funds.

I think that boat has sailed. He had that chance at Everton and it failed. Didn’t he spend £40m+ on Walcott and Cenk Tosun?

Allardyce is what he is. A relegation specialist. I think it’s a shrewd appointment for WBA, but Allardyce is there for the financial bonus, and then he’s off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 am

Just John wrote:
Atila wrote:

I think that boat has sailed. He had that chance at Everton and it failed. Didn’t he spend £40m+ on Walcott and Cenk Tosun?

Allardyce is what he is. A relegation specialist. I think it’s a shrewd appointment for WBA, but Allardyce is there for the financial bonus, and then he’s off.
I get what you're saying about his time at Everton, but I have to believe that he has enough tactical nous to coach his teams to play more attractive football if he wanted to, or if someone higher up in the club asked him to.

I think he deserves another chance at a decent sized club. This may sound funny, but I could imagine him doing well at a club like Arsenal if they gave him a couple of years. It would never happen of course but he couldn't do much worse than Emery and Arteta have done.

Last edited by Atila on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:45 am

Another win for United today that pushes them up to second. Now it wasn't achieved the way I would have liked it to have been but a wins a win. For those who think that they were lucky to win of a deflected shot, I hope then you think they were unlucky against Leicester in their last game when Leicester grabbed a draw of a United player scoring an own goal.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 am

Newcastle 0-0 Liverpool FT

What a point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 am

Good point for Newcastle. ⚽

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:17 am

Edinson Cavani has been given a 3 match ban for a social media post he made a few weeks ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:20 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:Edinson Cavani has been given a 3 match ban for a social media post he made a few weeks ago.
Also fined £100,000.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:31 am

This Karen Carney thing is ridiculous. She made stupid comments and Leeds rightfully pointed that out, are we not allowed to criticise her? Every pundit receives criticism.

Soul Requiem

Atila likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:50 am

I think it's probably more it wasn't exactly difficult to anticipate why she would get a different kind of pile on to someone like Savage or Sutton spouting it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:21 am

Disappointing not to get a point tonight. Tho k it was a pen, harsh at the same time if that makes sense.

Really have United a run for their money tonight.

Proud of how we’ve played this season though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:43 am

With regards to the penalty, it was soft but no different in that regard to the litany of soft free kicks throughout the match. The merest touch and refs blow.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next