The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2020 cancelled

+2
Soul Requiem
sirfredperry
6 posters

Go down

Wimbledon 2020 cancelled Empty Wimbledon 2020 cancelled

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm

Wimbledon this year has been officially called off.

Not really surprising as it can only be played during the long evenings, so it could not be postponed for very long.

Very disappointing, of course, but our parents (in my case) and our grandparents and great-grandparents (in others' cases) had to put up with no Wimbledons for quite a few years in the 1940s. At least we're not having bombs dropped on our homes, although this is not to downplay the difficult times we're all living thru.

Hope to contribute to the decade review going on another thread.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2020 cancelled Empty Re: Wimbledon 2020 cancelled

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 01 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

I'm fully expecting Federers retirement imminently.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2020, 9:43 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:I'm fully expecting Federers retirement imminently.

Pretty much called that a while ago

Just John wrote:On the flip side, you could even argue, we might of seen the last of Federer. In theory, we don’t know how severe this will become, the entire season, and, Olympics, could be a write off. At 39, RF might just call it quits. Same could happen in other sports, particularly sportsmen and women of a certain age.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 02 Apr 2020, 6:46 am

The top three men's players will be getting a good rest assuming they are not damaged by the virus and are able to keep their fitness levels up.  I think Federer is keen to target another Olympics, so I expect him to keep going until the next Olympics when ever that will be - next Summer presumably. I imagine he would like to retire at Wimbledon so maybe he will keep going until the summer of 2022. This all assumes he doesn't suffer any major deterioration in his joints.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 02 Apr 2020, 8:26 am

It could be argued that this long break is bad news for the younger players.

It could mean that the likes of Djoko and Nadal will be rejuvenated and will be able to stay at the top for longer.

I don't think there's ANY chance of Federer packing it in just yet. I think he'll play at least until the end of 2021.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Thu 02 Apr 2020, 11:48 am

Agreed, no way do I see Federer hanging up his racket this year now. The Olympics means a lot to him - he wants that elusive Olympic singles gold and he first met Mirka when they were both competing for Switzerland (back in 2000). He'll think he has at least 1 Wimbledon left in him (maybe even 2?). Also, when he does finally call it a day, given the massive fanbase and adulation he gets wherever he goes, he will want to sign off properly, rather than in an anti-climatic fashion.

I personally reckon he'll compete until end of 2021 now, probably signing off definitively at Basel or the end of year ATP Masters (if he's still ranked high enough for the latter).

The other motive for him to carry on is to try and protect his record against rivals Nadal and Djokovic who will still be going strong.

If Roland Garros does go ahead as planned in September this year, he will probably make that his final appearance there.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Apr 2020, 1:05 pm

I had been thinking about this and see others are ahead of me on here...
This "lost season " really is a case of snakes and ladders for the ageing superstars . On the one hand it takes away one of their relatively few remaining chances at major titles ...but on the other it allows them to give their bodies a serious rest ; from which they will surely benefit rather more than their younger rivals. They will know how to ensure they are fit to go when everything resumes.

Like a lot of things in sport the first season back will be hugely dependant on mental strength . And we know which players have that in spades...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Apr 2020, 2:50 pm

Keeping open the possibility of playing Wimbledon in say October or November would require far more creativity and open mindedness and willingness to change and slaughter sacred cows than Wimbledon is capable of. Lengthening the tournament? Starting matches at 9am? Playing under the lights on a regular, scheduled basis? They have a hard enough time accepting someone wanting to wear a different colour shirt or play on a Sunday.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Apr 2020, 3:04 pm

I think it's time to cancel the French Open as well. Since there clearly isn't time in the schedule for all the tournaments to played in 2020, and it isn't fair that the French Open gets to move and damage or kill off other tournaments without consultation. So what I'm saying is cancel the entire clay and grass court season.

Then we leave the schedule as is for now for the rest of the season i.e. Cinci/Canada to WTF.

I think hold off on cancelling the US Open and US hard court swing for now, but probably cancel that in about June or so, assuming there hasn't been a dramatic and unexpected change in the coronavirus situation.

Even once the US Open has been cancelled, I don't see the sense in writing off the season in its entirety immediately.

If the situation has made it possible by then, why not have some tournaments in say November for those that want to play them.

Stay safe everyone; hope you are doing well.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Apr 2020, 3:07 pm

If it became possible for a grand slam to be playable in the autumn/fall, I think the tournament could make a deal with the 250s/500s scheduled for those weeks to effectively buy them out by paying money to move the tournament into those weeks.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down