The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

+35
Dirtydave
RiscaGame
Khouli Khan
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
majesticimperialman
Mr Bounce
BamBam
Brendan
LondonTiger
demosthenes
rapidsnowman
Duty281
rodders
carpet baboon
king_carlos
Taylorman
Cyril
bsando
whocares
MichaelT
Soul Requiem
BigGee
Pot Hale
tigertattie
bluestonevedder
lostinwales
SecretFly
Rugby Fan
Gooseberry
TightHEAD
Pete330v2
No 7&1/2
No9
39 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament. - Page 5 Empty Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

Post by No9 Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yes, there is a real chance that not all games in this years 6 Nations may be completed as Italian authorities are enforcing "no go zones" as a result of the Corona virus.

Pro 14 games with Zebre and Treviso against Ospreys and Ulster have already been postponed as well as the women's game this weekend. Now at the moment its hitting the North, but there are real concerns and questions being asked whether the Italian team should withdraw from the remainder of the 6 Nations matches, as they're players themselves are based in those regions.

Of course, this would be an upset for all us rugby fans, but we shouldn't lose sight of the bigger picture here, that being that people are losing their lives to this, so please consider that before you WUM on this thread.

Personally, I hope the 6 Nations completes, but my thoughts go out to all being caught up in this and as such would fully understand if the 6 Nations isnt completed. After all, we delayed the 6 Nations over Foot and Mouth outbreak and even cancelled previous 5 Nations over terrorist threats, so I guess we have to put it into perspective.

*** BEFORE you WUM on this thread... think***

************Update 27th Feb @ 1800hrs ***************

BBC wrote:

Officials from around the rugby world are meeting at a pre-arranged World Rugby summit at the start of next week, with Six Nations unions set to take this opportunity to continue discussions around rescheduling the cancelled games.

While France can still clinch the Grand Slam, if they were to lose one of their remaining matches then the men's Championship may not have a winner unless Ireland's game with Italy in Dublin is rearranged.

Six Nations sources have indicated that matches will only be called off in the event of a governmental directive.

While the Italy against England women's match is under more threat because it is being staged in Padua in Veneto, the virus has not yet spread to Rome, where the men's Italy against England game is taking place.

The Italy against Scotland match in the women's Championship was called off last weekend because it was being staged in the Lombardy region, which is one of the affected areas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51666898

Last edited by No9 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

No9

Back to top Go down

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament. - Page 5 Empty Re: Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:27 am

Dirtydave wrote:I did mention the likelihood of the France ireland game being low.

As I stated, the 6N is all but over, ireland will get 4 point, France england 2 each, leaving all 2 on 15? France ahead on PD?

Scotland beating Wales by 5 points and by a big margin could land them the trophy?

With the title now at stake the matches will happen at some point.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament. - Page 5 Empty Re: Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

Post by Rugby Fan Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:20 am

I don't know how important it is to finish the tournament soon, or at all, for that matter.

The cancelled World Cup matches were assigned a result because the tournament needed to decide qualifiers to continue. The Six Nations isn't a knock out tournament, and doesn't have promotion or relegation. A number of the fixtures have individual trophies up for grabs, and they have been awarded (the Calcutta Cup, Centenary Quaich, Millennium Trophy, Auld Alliance Trophy, Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy and Triple Crown have all been decided). That points to the way these matches often have a standalone value outside beyond their contribution to the result.

If the remaining fixtures can't be played soon, and don't find a place in the schedule in Autumn, then I'd be happy to write them off, and consider the Six Nations a washout for this year.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:32 am

Just take the average results between Italy and England over the last 6 games.

England 47 – 17 Italy
Italy 9 – 40 England
England 36 – 15 Italy
Italy 15 – 46 England
England 57 – 14 England
England 37 – 0 Italy

Average score - England 43 - 11 Italy thumbsup Job done Winner
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:39 am

Rugby Fan wrote:

If the remaining fixtures can't be played soon, and don't find a place in the schedule in Autumn, then I'd be happy to write them off, and consider the Six Nations a washout for this year.

But then, the Six Nations just got interesting again from a compeitive point of view.

Had all Six Nations sides agreed to calling it all off at the same time as the Ireland/Italy game was postponed then I would have been fine with the washout decision.

But sides played on - and France visited Scotland.  I mean the seriousness of transmission threat didn't stall some games and yet now we hear that France might be constrained by government directives to call off or postpone the French Irish game.
I have no problem with that decision if it transpires; the right one in light of the circumstances in my opinion.

However, the title race is now wide open again.  For example, from what I'm hearing, all Ireland would require from here is two bonus point wins - and one of those games is a prospective home game against Italy.  But even before the Scotland v France result, I felt Ireland still had a game in them to stall the French.  It's at least a real shot and a real goal now to motivate players.  Other sides still in contention will have their own calculations that will keep their interest in the competition going - not least France itself who still have a real shot at a title.

So no.  Now I'm quite interested in finding later dates to bring this competition to a conclusion based on results rather than cancellation.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:28 pm

So all last round games postponed to the 31st of October right

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:59 pm

Ireland v Italy will be the key game.

If they can win that with a bonus point, then the final round doesn't matter.

Much.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:16 pm

whocares wrote:So all last round games postponed to the 31st of October right

Yes, sounds like the games are being postponed until October when, hopefully, the Coronavirus has subsided.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Don't judge me on the source ( Shocked ) but The Sun is reporting that all remaining games might now be off.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11129623/all-six-nations-games-axed/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Sorry, just seen whocares' post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

I'll be annoyed if Wales v Scotland is off. We've got a good day out planned!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Ireland v Italy will have to take place before October 31st.

Hmmm.... I suppose we could organise a Scorsese Movie Style Irish Mafia v Italian Mafia shootout in New York or Chicago?  Potential money spinner and them Americanoreno folks get to have a Six Nations game on their soil? First in history outside the 6N realm.

IRFU can pay me my usual creativity fee if they go with it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:28 pm

France V Ireland OFF
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Its all just a rumour at the moment...

The 6 Nations wants to maintain "super Saturday", and as Scotland has a mathematical chance of still taking the little, if they win their next game and Italy wins both its remaining games with France losing to Ireland, and thats with no BPs being scored either. So a BIG IF...

As such, it makes sense to still play Wales v Scotland this Saturday, as its not likely to have an impact on who wins the title and will lose more money moving it now than it will gain in rescheduling.

But with 6 Nations meeting today, we'll now later today...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Its off I'm afraid chaps

*****BREAKING NEWS******https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51800564
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:41 pm

Not surprised. France had banned mass gatherings a week or so back. Guess the big issue if whether now they will decide to reschedule the Wales v Scotland game as well to maintain "super Saturday"... I'm not sure its worth the extra expense, as maths may say Scotland could still take the title, probability is very very low.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:50 pm

there's nowhere in the schedule to replay 2 rounds of matches, this year is a right off.

At these times we should all consider what we find a priority, 50 men on a pitch in our colours, or the real priority we should all focus on...

Stockpiling toilet paper!

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 pm

There is always the AIs just tell the SH teams they can't play us cause we are busy

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:56 am

Dirtydave wrote:there's nowhere in the schedule to replay 2 rounds of matches, this year is a right off.

At these times we should all consider what we find a priority, 50 men on a pitch in our colours, or the real priority we should all focus on...

Stockpiling toilet paper!

What are you all doing with all that toilet paper over there btw??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:02 am

Brendan wrote:There is always the AIs just tell the SH teams they can't play us cause we are busy

True, we could drop the Tonga game.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Just take the average results between Italy and England over the last 6 games.

England 47 – 17 Italy
Italy 9 – 40 England
England 36 – 15 Italy
Italy 15 – 46 England
England 57 – 14 England
England 37 – 0 Italy

Average score - England 43 - 11 Italy thumbsup Job done Winner

I hadn't realised those were the scorelines for Eng v Italy.   43.8 - 11.7 - so a winning margin of 32.1 on average to add onto the +15  PD

The last six Ireland ones are:
Ireland 29-10 Italy
Italy 16-26
Ireland 54-7 Italy
Ireland 56-19
Italy 10-63
Ireland 58-15

Total - 286- 77  - Average 47.7-12.8 - Winning margin of 34.9 to add to the +5 PD

England on 18 points with +47.1
Ireland on 14 points with +39.9

So Ireland would need to beat France by more than 7.2 points.

Last six matches between Ireland and France:
Ireland 26-14 France
France 13-15 Ireland
Ireland 19-9 France
France 10-9 Ireland
France 9-24 Ireland
Ireland 18-11 France

Total Ireland 111-66 France - average 18.5 -11.0 - winning margin of 7.5 points.

Ireland winner by 0.3 points.    real Winner

I love averages.  Who needs matches?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Ireland wouldn't win a ruck legally let alone a whole game of rugby vs France. Wink
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:54 pm

Legal? laughing

Who cares about legal when we pay off refs?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

Who needs matches?

Pyromaniacs?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:00 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Ireland wouldn't win a ruck legally let alone a whole game of rugby vs France. Wink

Pfft. Ireland just need to pinch a few willies and the job is oxo.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Who needs matches?

Pyromaniacs?

They've moved on from the old ways, SF. Handheld spark igniters are all the rage amongst the arsonist community these days.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:24 pm

Following on the heels of Parissee having 3 retirements cancelled the BBC are now reporting that Ben Youngs is going to miss his 100th cap next weekend, and wont be eligable for the summer tour either. Come the AIs he will be 31 and pushing the age limit for a player who will be around for the next world cup so no guarantee he will get it. 
(Someone should have had a word with him about using the phrase "touch wood" in his interview)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:45 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Following on the heels of Parissee having 3 retirements cancelled the BBC are now reporting that Ben Youngs is going to miss his 100th cap next weekend, and wont be eligable for the summer tour either. Come the AIs he will be 31 and pushing the age limit for a player who will be around for the next world cup so no guarantee he will get it. 
(Someone should have had a word with him about using the phrase "touch wood" in his interview)

His head was in his hands at the time.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:53 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Following on the heels of Parissee having 3 retirements cancelled the BBC are now reporting that Ben Youngs is going to miss his 100th cap next weekend, and wont be eligable for the summer tour either. Come the AIs he will be 31 and pushing the age limit for a player who will be around for the next world cup so no guarantee he will get it. 

..as long as it wasn't in Joe's we're still pre-watershed and good to go.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Who needs matches?

Pyromaniacs?

They've moved on from the old ways, SF.  Handheld spark igniters are all the rage amongst the arsonist community these days.

I like how you slipped that in, Pot OK Topical in terms of AWJ's damp squib reaction to Joe's attempted fondle.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:52 pm

So, whilst the various sporting organisations around the world are suspending games, tours etc. our Prime Minister who has come in contact with a positively tested minister, who probably touched all sorts of things whilst in the cabinet office and potentially infected half the cabinet, has decided "I don't need to be tested, I did not come within 2 m of her". What an example to set to everybody else! What is he scared of, a little needle? That he might well of caught Covid-19 and is now happily infecting everyone else instead of self isolating like he has advised everyone else.

Who is the only other person in a position such as his that would do that? I think we also know the answer.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:54 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:So, whilst the various sporting organisations around the world are suspending games, tours etc. our Prime Minister who has come in contact with a positively tested minister, who probably touched all sorts of things whilst in the cabinet office and potentially infected half the cabinet, has decided "I don't need to be tested, I did not come within 2 m of her".  What an example to set to everybody else! What is he scared of, a little needle? That he might well of caught Covid-19 and is now happily infecting everyone else instead of self isolating like he has advised everyone else.

Who is the only other person in a position such as his that would do that? I think we also know the answer.

Hitler or Eddie Jones?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:So, whilst the various sporting organisations around the world are suspending games, tours etc. our Prime Minister who has come in contact with a positively tested minister, who probably touched all sorts of things whilst in the cabinet office and potentially infected half the cabinet, has decided "I don't need to be tested, I did not come within 2 m of her".  What an example to set to everybody else! What is he scared of, a little needle? That he might well of caught Covid-19 and is now happily infecting everyone else instead of self isolating like he has advised everyone else.

Hitler or Eddie Jones?

Not as close, has hair like Boris on a good day
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 pm

As a Bath man I still think it is worth highlighting that if Youngs was welsh/scots/irish, he would be lauded as a great player and servant of the game with 99 caps. He has also played about 250 times for Leicester too, no mean feat in a 12 year professional career.
All he ever gets is that he is too old at 30 and should be replaced by a young gun. Don't understand it myself.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm

We'll take him too for his final 30 games of his career Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Tbf laidlaw got a lot of stick from the fans (myself included) too and did a lot for Scotland, even in the later stages of his career. Price currently is too as the incumbent, although that's more because wee Horne is in fine form. I think if you're in any pivotal position you'll get a disproportionate amount of scrutiny.

If Youngs retires he'll be remembered in the same light as the likes of Dawson, Blair, Stringer and co.

Scotland are lucky to be blessed with some talent at SH but definitely would not complain about having an option like Youngs!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:28 pm

SecretFly wrote:We'll take him too for his final 30 games of his career Wink

You lot and your bl00dy project players!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:

As a Bath man I still think it is worth highlighting that if Youngs was welsh/scots/irish, he would be lauded as a great player and servant of the game with 99 caps. He has also played about 250 times for Leicester too,  no mean feat in a 12 year professional career.
All he ever gets is that he is too old at 30 and should be replaced by a young gun. Don't understand it myself.

Im not saying he should, just that theres a risk he could be. Poor Dan Cole got ditched on 98 caps, Hartley on 97 missing two world cups. No sentiment there! Jones could get a reputation here!

For Youngs I agree hes one of those chaps whos achievements in the game perhaps dont match the rep he has from the fans. Just wondering though how many of the centurions from around the world have as many caps as him coming off the bench? For someone to have such a long career and rarely be fully dropped whilst often being second choice is pretty unusual I would've thought.
His form has been all over the place at times but it says a lot that hes been selected by the last 3 England head coaches fairly consistently.
The only England player to ever get 100 caps is Leonard, so if Youngs does make it it will be a notable achievement.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 am

The Oracle wrote:
SecretFly wrote:We'll take him too for his final 30 games of his career Wink

You lot and your bl00dy project players!

Blooming reject players would be more accurate.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 pm

Only Wales v Scotland surviving for Super Saturday... BUT, that could be under threat, depending on the Cobra meeting today, when its expected that the Government will up the Covid-19 virus state to Delay....

What I didn't realise till this morning, is that level, the Government may make it an offence for pubs and clubs to show games, so even if they decide Saturday's game should be behind closed doors, you wont be able to watch the game in a pub/club.

Lets hope it doesn't go that far.... but if it does, we'll have to accept it and hope it helps.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:09 pm

No9 wrote:Only Wales v Scotland surviving for Super Saturday... BUT, that could be under threat, depending on the Cobra meeting today, when its expected that the Government will up the Covid-19 virus state to Delay....

What I didn't realise till this morning, is that level, the Government may make it an offence for pubs and clubs to show games, so even if they decide Saturday's game should be behind closed doors, you wont be able to watch the game in a pub/club.

Lets hope it doesn't go that far.... but if it does, we'll have to accept it and hope it helps.

It would seem there is more risk from spreading the virus in gatherings that are inside (ie pubs) rather than outdoors (stadium) - even if the number of people is much larger at the stadium.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
No9 wrote:Only Wales v Scotland surviving for Super Saturday... BUT, that could be under threat, depending on the Cobra meeting today, when its expected that the Government will up the Covid-19 virus state to Delay....

It would seem there is more risk from spreading the virus in gatherings that are inside (ie pubs) rather than outdoors (stadium) - even if the number of people is much larger at the stadium.

Lets hope they keep the roof open then Whistle ... oh, and beer gardens pre and post match.. OK

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Well that’s unsurprising for someone who some think is a proper w*nker.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Ireland now going into next stage of lockdown.  Schools and colleges closed from this evening. Events involving 100 people or more to be cancelled.  Shops will remain open but in-store restrictions may operate.  People should work from home unless essential.  
GAA games cancelled this weekend.  All masses and other church events such as christenings cancelled asNd replaced with live stream service.   Limited service and restricted numbers at weddings and funerals.

Restrictions in place until 29 March for the time being.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 pm

I know this is the international section, but just been posted that the Pro14 has been suspended indefinitely.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51858815

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:55 pm

No9 wrote:I know this is the international section, but just been posted that the Pro14 has been suspended indefinitely.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51858815

Is that due to coronavirus or because they realised noone cared?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
No9 wrote:I know this is the international section, but just been posted that the Pro14 has been suspended indefinitely.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51858815

Is that due to coronavirus or because they realised noone cared?

Cruel. Very cruel. There'll be youngsters crying themselves to sleep tonight after witnessing such unbridled cruelty.

Why you so cruel, man? Is it coz ya got no love shown to you when you was a kid?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 am

Raelene Castle, CEO of the ARU, has suggested that the November tests may be cancelled to allow broadcasting contracts for Super Rugby and 4Ns to be fulfilled.

Would give a window to play remaining 6Ns matches.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

Interesting, with the obvious issues from a home nation perspective being a huge lose off income from 3/4 home tests.

Saying that, the Rugby Championship teams will also probably miss out of summer test income.

So probably works out fair enough.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:19 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/wales-set-play-eight-matches-18101896

Busy autumn.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next