The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer reveals knee surgery

+3
Soul Requiem
sirfredperry
lags72
7 posters

Go down

Federer reveals knee surgery  Empty Federer reveals knee surgery

Post by lags72 Thu 20 Feb - 10:37

Am just learning that Roger Federer has tweeted details of recent knee surgery, and that this will significantly impact on his previously-announced 2020 Tour commitments, including Roland Garros.

Seems he is confident of recovery in time to get back on grass and compete at Wimbledon.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Federer reveals knee surgery  Empty Re: Federer reveals knee surgery

Post by sirfredperry Thu 20 Feb - 10:49

This from the BBC. He'll be out until the grass court season, it appears.

Could be a comparatively low ranking for Rog at Wimbledon, at this rate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/51571497

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Feb - 11:02

Isn’t the Wimbledon seeding system unique, in that it just ranks them on previous grass-court form? Makes sense to have surgery now, just isn’t really anywhere near good enough to take down Nadal/Djokovic or Thiem on the clay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 20 Feb - 11:21

sirfredperry wrote:This from the BBC. He'll be out until the grass court season, it appears.

Could be a comparatively low ranking for Rog at Wimbledon, at this rate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/51571497

I don't think that's a bad thing, the earlier he faces Nadal or Djokovic the better in my opinion. I've tended to think he'd blow the pair away during the first week when the baseline is still grassy as the tournament progresses and it gets more dirt like it slows and plays into their hands.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 20 Feb - 12:09

JJ is, of course, correct, that the Wimbledon seeing is based on previous grass court form, so Rog could well be moved up.

I recall Rafa being upset to be moved down from two to three at SW19 last year, meaning he could have met Djoko in the semis.

In the event he was drawn with number two seed Federer who beat him, which you could say justified the seed changing.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 20 Feb - 17:15

If Fed is back by Halle, he will have dropped to 3950 points, which would currently put him 7th. However, adding a Wimbledon final and Halle win from last year and whatever he carries from the previous year (isn't it 75% of the points of the best grass court tournament?) he'll have something like 6000 points for the Wimbledon ranking, which will likely put him around 4 or 5 in the seedings (obviously depending on how others do in the next four months)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 20 Feb - 19:36

Will be a pity not to see him competing in the various events which he had included in his schedule for the coming months.

Even at 38, Fed still lights up a tennis court quite unlike anybody else. And the Tournament Directors will miss him too.

All that said, we best get accustomed to such a prolonged absence ; it cannot be that long before he decides to call time on his competitive career -just as all athletes, however talented, inevitably find themselves having to do.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 21 Feb - 0:24

Remember it is the Olympics year so plenty of tennis for Roger Federer if he returns well.  He turns 39 in August. So he is rapidly heading for 40 and is still playing top level tennis.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 21 Feb - 12:09

lags

I would be unsurprised if Fed retires at the end of this season - I know he'd previously spoken of his ambition to win the Olympics singles title, but this really is his last (long) shot.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 10 Jun - 14:03

Federer has just revealed that he will not be playing again this year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/52991140

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 10 Jun - 17:14

Apparently he had a setback some weeks ago and has/ or is having another surgery which has put the kibosh on this year.

It's very disappointing but he's certainly choosing the right time to be off.

Knees are a real problem and sometimes no amount of surgery can put things right.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Musa_Jutt Mon 2 Nov - 19:55

he is one of the best tennis players and my fav too.
Recently my involvement with tennis racquets on its peak and i created a site in which my main pursose is to collect all the best players tennis racquets on a single page.
Here is my site https://gotennisracquets.com/ but i am short on information reagarding when and where they used that racquet i am looking on each and every site realted to tennis.
If you guys have nay source which provide the right information regarding tennis racquets i am glad to look into it,

Thanks

Musa_Jutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 8 Nov - 20:26

Some positive news about Federer after many months. A report in the last couple of days says he's in good shape, is practising and intends to head for Australia for the AO.

Last time he went to Melbourne having had a long lay off he won the whole thing. This time I'm sure he and his fans will be glad just to see him back in action.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 11 Nov - 19:20

sirfredperry wrote:Some positive news about Federer after many months. A report in the last couple of days says he's in good shape, is practising and intends to head for Australia for the AO.

Last time he went to Melbourne having had a long lay off he won the whole thing. This time I'm sure he and his fans will be glad just to see him back in action.
It would be amazing if he won it though.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 12 Nov - 8:16

One more decent season of results would see Federer clear at the top for most wins on the tour.

It could be that even a record-hungry Djoko won't be able to overtake Rog's mark.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down