The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sexism in the media against MEN

+5
Soul Requiem
navyblueshorts
TRUSSMAN66
Pr4wn
Muscular-mouse
9 posters

Go down

Sexism in the media against MEN Empty Sexism in the media against MEN

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 09 Feb 2020, 1:33 pm

Ok so when the media comment females for their appearance eg Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeons legs, Theresa May's dress sense or MP tracy Babin who wore a shoulderless top to the House of Commons leading equal rights groups attack them and say that the media should not be commenting on appearance as this is sexist. However, when the media attack Donald Trump for his appearance (hair and skin colour) or Boris Johnson (hair) or Jeremy Corbyn ( dress sense) not one of these groups come out saying it is sexism etc.

Is there a double standard when it comes to DEFENDING people who the media attack over their appearance?

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Sexism in the media against MEN Empty Re: Sexism in the media against MEN

Post by Pr4wn Mon 10 Feb 2020, 3:38 am

I'll bite.

The comments about Tracy Babin were sexist, that much was pretty clear. It was in no way equivalent to commenting about Donald Trump's application of fake tan via shotgun. They're two completely different things.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 8:10 am

"Fake tan via shotgun"... Excellent.

Suppose the fact Meghan Markle takes more crap than Prince Andrew is to do with sexism against Men...

Suppose the fact the media want Keir Starmer to beat three Women is sexism is against Men..

Diane Abbott suffers the most abuse...Much of it racist in Parliament....Last I looked she wasn't male..

Jordan takes limitless crap about being a thick bimbo though anyone that makes 40m can't be that stupid...Rooney is hardly Einstein and seems to avoid it..

Not a great Hill to choose to die on...Sexism against Men in the media..

But we see what we want..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Feb 2020, 10:44 am

It's a valid point, to some extent. If it's wrong to comment on appearance etc for one group, it's wrong across the board. Suggesting it's worse if you're a woman may be true, but that's a poor reason to excuse it when aimed at a man. Get what you're saying, TRUSS, in that sexism against men isn't necessarily worth going into battle for, but hypocrisy isn't a good look either.

Re. Trump's tan - not sexist, but what does it have to do w/ what he's doing as POTUS? F.A. If (big 'if', I know) it had been a female POTUS who'd received that comment, it would have been jumped on.

Problem w/ all this woke commentary everywhere is that now I think many have had enough of having it shoved down their throats all the time. If those continually banging on about this sort of thing aren't careful, they'll be damaging the very causes they profess to fight for.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 10 Feb 2020, 2:11 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:It's a valid point, to some extent. If it's wrong to comment on appearance etc for one group, it's wrong across the board. Suggesting it's worse if you're a woman may be true, but that's a poor reason to excuse it when aimed at a man. Get what you're saying, TRUSS, in that sexism against men isn't necessarily worth going into battle for, but hypocrisy isn't a good look either.

Re. Trump's tan - not sexist, but what does it have to do w/ what he's doing as POTUS? F.A. If (big 'if', I know) it had been a female POTUS who'd received that comment, it would have been jumped on.

Problem w/ all this woke commentary everywhere is that now I think many have had enough of having it shoved down their throats all the time. If those continually banging on about this sort of thing aren't careful, they'll be damaging the very causes they profess to fight for.

Nothing. It's just really funny.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 10 Feb 2020, 2:22 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:It's a valid point, to some extent. If it's wrong to comment on appearance etc for one group, it's wrong across the board. Suggesting it's worse if you're a woman may be true, but that's a poor reason to excuse it when aimed at a man. Get what you're saying, TRUSS, in that sexism against men isn't necessarily worth going into battle for, but hypocrisy isn't a good look either.

So it's also funny to comment about the looks of a women then or does it depend if you personally like them or not?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Feb 2020, 5:05 pm

Pr4wn wrote:

OK Fair point. I laughed, I have to admit.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Mon 10 Feb 2020, 6:32 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I'll bite.

The comments about Tracy Babin were sexist, that much was pretty clear. It was in no way equivalent to commenting about Donald Trump's application of fake tan via shotgun. They're two completely different things.

Comments about her dress sense in parliament can be linked to comments about Corbyns dress sense in parliament where he was attacked by the media yet only the comments about her dress sense were deemed sexist...

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 11 Feb 2020, 1:23 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

So it's also funny to comment about the looks of a women then or does it depend if you personally like them or not?

Calm down, snowflake. Make-up as clown-like as that is hilarious no matter who is wearing it.

Maybe it's funnier on him as it's even more strange that a man in his 70s is wearing that much fake tan. His vanity and sensitivity make it funnier still.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 11 Feb 2020, 1:27 am

Muscular-mouse wrote:

Comments about her dress sense in parliament can be linked to comments about Corbyns dress sense in parliament where he was attacked by the media yet only the comments about her dress sense were deemed sexist...

I think a large part of this, which you are conveniently not mentioning, is the sexist abuse that Babin received in the wake of this storm in a teacup. Check out the abuse she received online, it's unacceptable and undoubtedly sexist. Corbyn didn't get that.

It's not just the standards of dress that should be compared, the reaction should be too.

Boris Johnson almost always looks though he's been dragged through a hedge backwards and people love him for it.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 11 Feb 2020, 5:33 am

The three you've listed aren't really comparable. I think, possibly, the only one that is is the Corbyn criticism, because his look was used as a reason to suggest he couldn't be PM. It is probably worth noting what side of the press that came from when comparing it to sexism towards women too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 11 Feb 2020, 7:58 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

Calm down, snowflake. Make-up as clown-like as that is hilarious no matter who is wearing it.

Maybe it's funnier on him as it's even more strange that a man in his 70s is wearing that much fake tan. His vanity and sensitivity make it funnier still.

So I can mock Dianne Abbott for her appearance or Angela Rayner for her general mouthy demeanour then?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 11 Feb 2020, 8:01 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:

I think a large part of this, which you are conveniently not mentioning, is the sexist abuse that Babin received in the wake of this storm in a teacup. Check out the abuse she received online, it's unacceptable and undoubtedly sexist. Corbyn didn't get that.

It's not just the standards of dress that should be compared, the reaction should be too.

Boris Johnson almost always looks though he's been dragged through a hedge backwards and people love him for it.

Depends which side of the political fence you fall, his appearance is frequently used as a criticism of him Doh

The criticism of Babin was pathetic and I found it quite humorous that a shoulder offended people so much and her response was brilliant.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Feb 2020, 8:16 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:

Depends which side of the political fence you fall, his appearance is frequently used as a criticism of him  Doh

The criticism of Babin was pathetic and I found it quite humorous that a shoulder offended people so much and her response was brilliant.
Quite. I mean, it's not like there's anything more important to rant about, is there?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:06 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

So I can mock Dianne Abbott for her appearance or Angela Rayner for her general mouthy demeanour then?

What? Who said you couldn't?

If you don't think there's something funny about a man in his 70's wearing that much fake tan and being too proud to admit it then I worry for you.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:09 am

I can't say I'm sad enough to really be interested one way or another. I'm touched that you worry though, means a lot.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:13 am

What?! You're the one that's asking the questions! picard

Moving on from this rather odd exchange, the language aimed at people like Rayner, Yvette Cooper and Abbott is often sexist; that is the difference. Criticising someone's appearance is one thing, but with these women it's often backed up by vile, misogynistic language online. I think that's the issue.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:15 am

Pr4wn wrote:What?! You're the one that's asking the questions! picard

Moving on from this rather odd exchange, the language aimed at people like Rayner, Yvette Cooper and Abbott is often sexist; that is the difference. Criticising someone's appearance is one thing, but with these women it's often backed up by vile, misogynistic language online. I think that's the issue.

So your comment wasn't ageist then?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:23 am

No, clearly not.

Honestly, some people are just always looking for an argument for the sake of it.

You don't think he looks funny? At all?!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:27 am

Pr4wn wrote:No, clearly not.

Honestly, some people are just always looking for an argument for the sake of it.

Clearly not yet you felt the need to mention his age Whistle

I don't really care what Donald Trump looks like.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Feb 2020, 10:11 am

God, it's often painful watching grown men strangle themselves in social media trying to avoid sexism.

Just release all that heart-stress tension.  Just be sexist.  It's genetic and it'll take pressure off the NHS.

So, if Trump is fair game on looks - I put it out there for consideration, is pompous windbag Emily Thornberry the closest we have to a female Trump?  Those puckering lips, that always present half smirk of smugness, those little folded in eyes of contempt, that haughty air......

She's a dead ringer.  All she needs is the shotgun and the tan.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Feb 2020, 5:54 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:No, clearly not.

Clearly not yet you felt the need to mention his age Whistle

I don't really care what Donald Trump looks like.

Yes. His age makes it more funny. You don't think he looks funny? What's wrong with you?!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 7:08 am

I have no opinion one way or another, I do find your unrelenting hypocrisy funny though.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Feb 2020, 7:27 am

Then you, chum, are an outlier.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 8:04 am

Oh no I think for myself and don't follow the herd, how very shocking. I'm so glad you've pointed that out to as I never knew.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:03 am

Soul Requiem wrote:Oh no I think for myself and don't follow the herd, how very shocking. I'm so glad you've pointed that out to as I never knew.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Quality.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:08 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Oh no I think for myself and don't follow the herd, how very shocking. I'm so glad you've pointed that out to as I never knew.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Quality.

Typical Pr4wn can't accept a difference of opinion so tries deflecting.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:16 am

Ha! There's no difference in opinion, as such. I just find that he looks funny. Because he does look funny.

If you think that I'm sexist, or ageist or whatever because of it then that's a shame, I suppose. I didn't use any sexist or ageist language at all, so it's on you. All your prejudgment.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:19 am

Now comes the desperation to claw back any credibility it thinks it has.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:21 am

You don't want to engage the point? Please explain how I'm a hypocrite.

Because right now, it just seems as though you're trolling.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:27 am

The hypocrisy is simple, you mention Trumps age as a reason why his appearance is funny therefore quite blatantly ageist, you'll squirm about making excuses but you're ageist plain and simple. Your defence in your own mind is that because it's Donald Trump and he's a loathsome character means it's ok. That's your own prerogative but don't then use your distorted moral compass to bemoan sexism, either it's all fair game or none of it is.

I personally don't care how anyone dresses or looks so ask yourself who actually has the problem, in case you can't work it out... ITS YOU.

Last edited by Soul Requiem on Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:42 am

Wow, a ton of assumptions in there. Not really sure where to begin.

I'll say it again. I didn't use any sexist or ageist language at all. I also stated, again multiple times, that the funniest part about it is his vanity and sensitivity when confronted about it. He denies he wears it, for goodness sake. If you think that me mentioning his age is ageist, then that's on you.

I never said anything about his being loathsome and that justifying it, you just made that up.

This whole thread is supposed to be about sexism again men in the media. You're not engaging with that at all, rather you're blindly throwing out accusations at other posters.

As an aside, I find it very amusing when conservatives (I'm assuming you're a conservative, but I'm sure you'll say you have no political position) try their hardest to point out perceived hypocrisies in order to deflect from the subject matter. This is a case in point. Trump is on the record as being a racist and a sexist. Where's your outrage at him? Of course there is none, or at least you won't talk about it.

But a poster that you don't know at all mentions a man's age while talking about something and you're all up-in-arms, poor written English and all.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:52 am

Anyway, to get beyond all that and back to the thread title - yes, there is sexism in the media against men.  Oodles of the stuff.

So to test it out I now want to see Johnson turn up for Prime Minister's Question Time in a well aged Onslow String Vest.  And let's check out who is and who isn't 'offended'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:53 am

You can say it all you want Pr4wn but your ageism is clear to see. Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't make the rules.

As for bringing up my political views which lie somewhere between Thatcherism and Blairism it just shows how you wish to debate the debater rather than the point at hand something you do all the time.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 12 Feb 2020, 11:18 am

You two want to just Frak and get it over with already?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm

I’m pretty sure he’d be a selfish lover. He can give and give and give, but he struggles to take it

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:08 pm

Harsh evaluation of Pr4 there. He's just a little quick on the trigger finger is all. Premature bulleting.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:23 pm

Requiem is a Thatch/Blairite apparently..Pr4wn would have to get in bed with a WMD for 45 minutes followed by a handbag..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:29 pm

I'm not going anywhere near that bed until it's been privatised.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Requiem is a Thatch/Blairite apparently..Pr4wn would have to get in bed with a WMD for 45 minutes followed by a handbag..

I'm told that in his dedicated dungeon that's mild paraphernalia indeed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Fri 14 Feb 2020, 6:36 pm

So from this thread I have gathered that sexism against men is somehow justified. when a woman is attacked in the media because she uses fake tan/make-up, or shes having fake hair, or attacked for her dress sense its deemed sexist but when the same attacks happen to a man it is somehow justified (as demonstrated on this thread).

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 15 Feb 2020, 12:36 pm

Some people have too much time on their hands...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Feb 2020, 1:00 am

alfie wrote:Some people have too much time on their hands...

More unapologetic ageism!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 16 Feb 2020, 1:59 am

Muscular-mouse wrote:So from this thread I have gathered that sexism against men is somehow justified. when a woman is attacked in the media because she uses fake tan/make-up, or shes having fake hair, or attacked for her dress sense its deemed sexist but when the same attacks happen to a man it is somehow justified (as demonstrated on this thread).

I think it’s a long time since you learned anything

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sat 29 Feb 2020, 1:34 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:So from this thread I have gathered that sexism against men is somehow justified. when a woman is attacked in the media because she uses fake tan/make-up, or shes having fake hair, or attacked for her dress sense its deemed sexist but when the same attacks happen to a man it is somehow justified (as demonstrated on this thread).

I think it’s a long time since you learned anything

But I am right though. The attacks by the media on men regarding their appearance was justified by some on this thread. Those same attacks by the media on women were seen as sexist by those same people on this thread...

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down