The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza?

+3
braveheart101
legendkillar
Brady12
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How was the better player for the national team?

Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Vote_lcap69%Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Empty Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza?

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

This sparked a heated debate at a recent BBQ I attended so I thought i'd throw it out on here.....

For the National team who had a better career?

I said Shearer due to his consistency. 1 in 2 in 60 internationals for a striker is an excellent record. Formed an outstanding patnership with Teddy Sheringham & was the top scorer at Euro 96... At a time when England had a embarrassment of riches up front (Folwer, Cole, Collymore, Wright, Ferdinand etc) he was the undoubted number 1.

Gazza was brilliant in flashes but too unpredictable, when people say he's the best England Midfielder of the last 20 odd years well i'd say Scholes & Gerrard are both better

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza?

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

Wasn't very predictable!! 50/50

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who was better for England?.... Shearer or Gazza?

Post by legendkillar Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm

Guys can we stay on topic. I know we all have opinions, but bringing other factors not associated with this post leads to further arguments of an aggressive nature. Please be respectful to each other.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

I just read the end of the OP again, Gerrard one of the greatest midfielders to have represented England? Really???

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

So Scots pick Gazza because he played for Rangers!!! I reckon Shearer would of probably got about 60 goals a season in the SPL

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

It also brings into the debate, what do people view as the most important.
The person who sets the goal up, with the creative ability and the cunning pass
or
The person who scores it?

Its a difficult one to call, but based on the question, 'Who was better for England' I would have to say Shearer. I think his all round game and understanding and reading the play as it happens is 'slightly' ahead of Gazza's.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

Scots pick Gazza because he played for Rangers? If you knew anything about rivalries in Scotland, anyone who plays for the OF is hated by anyone out with them.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:48 pm

My point there Brady is that if lets say Shearer missed a chunk of his England career through injury then one of the other front men would have stepped up no problem. It wouldn't have effected the team.

There's no doubt that Shearer was a supreme striker but THE best of his generation? Better than Ronaldo? Better than Batistuta? Better than Raul?

A fit Gazza would have walked into any side in world football. His whole career was effectively defined by what he done in an England shirt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:I just read the end of the OP again, Gerrard one of the greatest midfielders to have represented England? Really???

Yes... Gerrard & Scholes name me anyone better

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:50 pm

Brady12 wrote:So Scots pick Gazza because he played for Rangers!!! I reckon Shearer would of probably got about 60 goals a season in the SPL
Im not Scottish and definately not a tool or brainless OK
Your opening point was about the number of goals Shearer has scored for England then went to goals scored for clubs and transfer fees. None of that matters either BECAUSE THEY PLAYED IN DIFFERENT POSITIONS BUT YOU CANT ACCEPT THAT POINT. Will have to disagree on this one

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:52 pm

Brady12 wrote:
AberdeenSteve wrote:I just read the end of the OP again, Gerrard one of the greatest midfielders to have represented England? Really???

David Beckham and David Platt.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

Brady12 wrote:

I will admit Scholes was fantastic, but Gerrard? He is a player of Hollywood moments and nothing else.
Better players than Gerrard. Beckham by a country mile.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

Freek sorry I meant best English striker. He wasn't as good as the others you mentioned.

I don't think Gazza would of walked into any midfield in the world... In the 90's I'll throw a few names I consider better....
Zidane, Davids, Keane, Scholes, Redondo, Nedved ect

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:57 pm

I'm fine with Becks but Platt? Just a poor mans Lampard

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

Bar Redondo, none of the above were at their peak when Gazza was at his.

I did love Zidane though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

Brady12 wrote:I'm fine with Becks but Platt? Just a poor mans Lampard

27 goals in 62 internationals and not one penalty. Forged a good career in Italy when it was by far the strongest league in the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

FreekShow wrote:

27 goals in 62 internationals and not one penalty. Forged a good career in Italy when it was by far the strongest league in the world.

Fair comment it's a decent record I just didn't rate him he seemed to do nothing all game then pop up with a goal every now & then.

Rikkard & Matthaus were both better than Gazza

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:17 pm

Matthaus, what a player. Great shout there Brady!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:19 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:So Scots pick Gazza because he played for Rangers!!! I reckon Shearer would of probably got about 60 goals a season in the SPL
Im not Scottish and definately not a tool or brainless OK
Your opening point was about the number of goals Shearer has scored for England then went to goals scored for clubs and transfer fees. None of that matters either BECAUSE THEY PLAYED IN DIFFERENT POSITIONS BUT YOU CANT ACCEPT THAT POINT. Will have to disagree on this one

I brought up transfer fees when you brought up other strikers. You claimed anyone could of done what Shearer did given the chance. Utter rubbish. Shearer was injured in 97 with ankle ligament damage I think. He missed a good chunk of qualifying & no one really stepped up

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

Brady12 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Fair comment it's a decent record I just didn't rate him he seemed to do nothing all game then pop up with a goal every now & then.

Platt scored the goal that got England to world cup semis. You probably didn't rate him cause he played for Villa.
When did Rikkard or Matthaus become English

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

Brady12 wrote:
I brought up transfer fees when you brought up other strikers. You claimed anyone could of done what Shearer did given the chance. Utter rubbish. Shearer was injured in 97 with ankle ligament damage I think. He missed a good chunk of qualifying & no one really stepped up
When exactly did I say that. I suggest you go and read all posts again

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Platt scored the goal that got England to world cup semis. You probably didn't rate him cause he played for Villa.
When did Rikkard or Matthaus become English

You are just arguing for the sake of it now buddy. It's sad, you not got anything better to do? I never said Rikkard or Matthaus were English... If your going to contribute don't be lazy read the entire thread.

Linekers 2 penalties got us into the semi we were 2-1 down with 10 minutes left. Although Platt did get the 1st in that game

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

I was the one that said that and I stand by it. Shearer only missed three qualifying games for France 98 by the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

My mistake Platt scored winner in last 16 against Belguim. I know freek pity brady couldn't get his facts right. Thing is he rates Collymore as one of Englands best strikers at that time as well shows what he knows about football, Collymore only played 3 games for England

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

braveheart101 wrote:My mistake Platt scored winner in last 16 against Belguim. I know freek pity brady couldn't get his facts right. Thing is he rates Collymore as one of Englands best strikers at that time as well shows what he knows about football, Collymore only played 3 games for England

How is rating someone factual? We had a great group of strikers then Collymore was probably 5th or 6th choice behind Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Wright & Fowler. Only 3 caps is surprising I think if he'd of been around now he'd of had a lot more... If he was Scottish he'd probably be your all time leading scorer

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

Brady12 wrote:How is rating someone factual? We had a great group of strikers then Collymore was probably 5th or 6th choice behind Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Wright & Fowler. Only 3 caps is surprising I think if he'd of been around now he'd of had a lot more... If he was Scottish he'd probably be your all time leading scorer
Can't you read I'M NOT SCOTTISH

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

I don't understand why some people are complaining about why people are debating on a debating site.

I think Shearer probably did more for England over a longer period of time, Gascoigne was too contraversial and his form dipped and dived all over the place.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm

Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:How is rating someone factual? We had a great group of strikers then Collymore was probably 5th or 6th choice behind Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Wright & Fowler. Only 3 caps is surprising I think if he'd of been around now he'd of had a lot more... If he was Scottish he'd probably be your all time leading scorer
Can't you read I'M NOT SCOTTISH

Stupid jock

Brady12 PM for you

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm

Stupid Jock? Really mature.

🤦

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I don't understand why some people are complaining about why people are debating on a debating site.

I think Shearer probably did more for England over a longer period of time, Gascoigne was too contraversial and his form dipped and dived all over the place.

At last someone who gives a rationale view point & backs it up with reasons

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I don't understand why some people are complaining about why people are debating on a debating site.

Who's complaining

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm

Brady12 wrote:

Thats not a reason thats his opinion hence the words 'I think' and 'probably'

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:57 pm

Brady12 wrote:

And you only think it's rationale because it's the same as your OPINION

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Stupid Jock? Really mature.

🤦

Didn't mean to insult you buddy sorry if it has

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

Time out guys. Thread locked for a chill out period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm

ok guys, thread is unlocked.
But please do me a favour, lets debate the subject and keep it on topic.
I dont want to see people having digs at eachother.
Everyone is entitled to their own point of view, please have some respect for those views. Dont belittle them or put them down, if you have a point to make, back it up instead of resorting to insults.

Cheers lads
Y I

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:23 pm

Y I Man wrote:ok guys, thread is unlocked.
Everyone is entitled to their own point of view, please have some respect for those views. Dont belittle them or put them down, if you have a point to make, back it up instead of resorting to insults.

Cheers lads
Y I

Well said buddy.....

Wouldn't mind your opinion Y I with you being a follow Geordie

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

Y I Man wrote:It also brings into the debate, what do people view as the most important.
The person who sets the goal up, with the creative ability and the cunning pass
or
The person who scores it?

Its a difficult one to call, but based on the question, 'Who was better for England' I would have to say Shearer. I think his all round game and understanding and reading the play as it happens is 'slightly' ahead of Gazza's.

p.s. Im a Yorkshireman. I just live in Newcastle lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:14 am

Just read back I noticed you've gone with Shearer didn't pick it up 1st time round as like you say it was getting heated

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

Brady12 wrote:

Cheers lads
Y I

Well said buddy.....

Are you for real. You are the one that was resorting to insults no one else

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

Cheers lads
Y I

Well said buddy.....

Are you for real. You are the one that was resorting to insults no one else

68% buddy I'm fine with that go argue with the mirror little fella x

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

Why do you bother starting a thread when the only opinions you are interested in are one's that are the same as your own. Seems everyone that disagrees with you gets a heap of abuse. How childish are you if you have to resort to name calling etc.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

Fellas, this matter was dropped yesterday, please both refrain from starting it up again.

Cheers

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

braveheart101 wrote:Why do you bother starting a thread when the only opinions you are interested in are one's that are the same as your own. Seems everyone that disagrees with you gets a heap of abuse. How childish are you if you have to resort to name calling etc.

You said yesterday you couldn't compare the 2 as they didn't play the same position. Yet your still arguing now.... Pathetic

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:Why do you bother starting a thread when the only opinions you are interested in are one's that are the same as your own. Seems everyone that disagrees with you gets a heap of abuse. How childish are you if you have to resort to name calling etc.

You said yesterday you couldn't compare the 2 as they didn't play the same position. Yet your still arguing now.... Pathetic
How is asking a question arguing. If you can't answer a simple question why bother replying.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

I've locked this now as it was apparent no further constructive comment was forthcoming.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2