The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ireland Squad RWC 2019

+7
Taylorman
The Great Aukster
rodders
Collapse2005
SecretFly
LondonTiger
carpet baboon
11 posters

Go down

The Ireland Squad RWC 2019 Empty The Ireland Squad RWC 2019

Post by carpet baboon Mon 09 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm

Player                          Position           Age      Caps

Rory Best (capt)        Hooker.            37         120
Tadhg Beirne             Lock.                27          8
Jack Conan               Flanker             27         16
Sean Cronin               Hooker            33          70
Tadhg Furlong           Prop                26           36
Cian Healy                  Prop                31          91
Iain Henderson          Lock                27          48
Dave Kilcoyne            Prop                30          31
Jean Kleyn                 Lock.               26          3
Peter O’Mahony        Flanker            30.         59
Andrew Porter           Prop                23          18
Rhys Ruddock.          Flanker.           28          23
James Ryan.             Lock.                23         19
John Ryan.                Prop.                31.         20
Niall Scannell.           Hooker            27          16
CJ Stander                Flanker            29          33
Josh van der Flier.   Flanker            26.         19
Bundee Aki               Centre             29           20
Joey Carbery            Fly-half           23.          19
Jack Carty                Fly-half            27           7
Andrew Conway      Wing.               28.          15
Keith Earls                Wing.               31.          78
Chris Farrell              Centre             26           7
Robbie Henshaw     Centre.            26.         38
Rob Kearney             Full-back        33           92
Jordan Larmour.      Wing               22           16
Luke McGrath.         Scrum-half.    26           14
Conor Murray          Scrum-half      30.          74
Garry Ringrose.       Centre              24           24
Johnny Sexton        Fly-half             34           84
Jacob Stockdale     Wing.                23           21

Here's the squad in all its glory.

If we keep squad chat to this thread then i will start a new thread for each game.
And general group A chat on the group page, other wise us and the Scots will fill up the group one pretty quick.

Or not this is just a suggestion

*** I had the list in easy to read manner then this site reformated it. Anyone know why?****

Last edited by carpet baboon on Mon 09 Sep 2019, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bloody web sites)

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad RWC 2019 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad RWC 2019

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Sep 2019, 3:24 pm

The hosting site we use does not like Tab spaces

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Sep 2019, 4:03 pm

It's alright. I'm a Russian bot. I can handle it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Sep 2019, 4:07 pm

Cronin 33?

Didn't think that.  Don't know why because he's been around a long time, but thought he was younger.

Anyway, must be why Joe seldom started him, to keep him fresh for this WC.  He's one explosive hooker when he gets going, and the years of time he's missed on the bench might stand him in good stead now. Cool

Rise up, Sean!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 09 Sep 2019, 4:45 pm

70 caps os a lot for someone who has never been first choice

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 09 Sep 2019, 4:51 pm

Still think Joe doesn't trust Cronin to start, he'll be the impact man off the bench with Best and Scannell starting.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 09 Sep 2019, 5:14 pm

rodders wrote:Still think Joe doesn't trust Cronin to start, he'll be the impact man off the bench with Best and Scannell starting.

I currently think that's his best use to Ireland right now.
Opposition players have said how much they have seeing him come on for the last 30 mins as they know what he can do.
Best and scanell just can't have that sort of impact from the bench

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 22 Sep 2019, 11:19 am

Well good start to the tournament.

Thought stander had a very good game.
We lost Bundi and POM early and it didn't disrupt us.
Best played the full 80
Lineout went well.
We looked good defending wide, with a couple of great reads by Stockdale.
A bit of invention in attack at times but we played to the conditions

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:44 am

I thought it was superb myself, right up their with our 2018 vintage best. Scotland were never in the game, but a lot of that was down to us.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:54 am

rodders wrote:I thought it was superb myself, right up their with our 2018 vintage best. Scotland were never in the game, but a lot of that was down to us.

OK

It's not getting a lot of airtime but that's the truth of it. Scotland didn't kill themselves, they were just given no options by the Irish pressure cooker.

All wasted energy of course now if we choose to settle into even a slice too much complacency about Japan. A real banana skin waiting if we approach it without the precision and intent given to the Scotland game.

You hope - you truly hope, that Joe has prepared for Japan as much as Scotland. Not too many tired Irish legs need to be on the field but also, you do need a selection of them to sustain continuity, momentum and heat. The right balance will be essential.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:15 am

Yes it will be interesting to see how we approach the next two games.

I expect a close to full strength side but with the 6 day turn around and couple of injuries, we will have to see a few changes.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:19 am

There will definitely be changes. I think POM might come in an captain the side and Scannell will start at hooker. Something like that. 80 minutes for Best is a lot.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:24 am

I haven't seen Best looks so fit in years. Across the board we looked very fit and powerful.... I sense the outside world have been duped by Schmidt this season...

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:49 am

rodders wrote:I haven't seen Best looks so fit in years. Across the board we looked very fit and powerful.... I sense the outside world have been duped by Schmidt this season...

Not just the outside world unfortunately.  I remember that look on Schmidt's face as he pleaded with Irish fans not to desert belief in his players, saying that World Cup WAS their focus, virtually admitting too that they 'may not' be giving everything to the 6N.

.....and yet so many fans chose to believe the images in front of them.  'No!  Pull the other one Joe!  We've become seriously bad and you know it!  You're bluffing.  Not Trying for the Glorious Six Nations Grand Slam????  Sacrilege, it's our bread and butter!  We've been found out.'  

And probably worst of a All and frequently repeated through the ages by every new generation - 'players don't hold themselves back or play within themselves for certain long term reasons'.
Purist bullschid claptrap. Players DO hold themselves back for bigger contests, do play within themselves if they fear injury might ruin participation in a big event.  Six Nations wasn't it this year and in a way, I loved that the Six Nations purists were furious that their bread and butter was only used as a training ground this year.

BUT... we still have a WC to compete in.  Players now have to prove and prove again that this is the one they were saving all their energy for. Nothing gets easier, just harder.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 27 Sep 2019, 7:43 pm

Murphy pulled from the Ulster game.

Looks like Conan's injury could be the end of his world cup. Shame as he was looking good

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 28 Sep 2019, 8:37 pm

Agree that Conan at 8 and Stander at 6 was a nice balance, but at least Joe has given himself options to recover the situation

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 8:45 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:I haven't seen Best looks so fit in years. Across the board we looked very fit and powerful.... I sense the outside world have been duped by Schmidt this season...

Not just the outside world unfortunately.  I remember that look on Schmidt's face as he pleaded with Irish fans not to desert belief in his players, saying that World Cup WAS their focus, virtually admitting too that they 'may not' be giving everything to the 6N.

.....and yet so many fans chose to believe the images in front of them.  'No!  Pull the other one Joe!  We've become seriously bad and you know it!  You're bluffing.  Not Trying for the Glorious Six Nations Grand Slam????  Sacrilege, it's our bread and butter!  We've been found out.'  

And probably worst of a All and frequently repeated through the ages by every new generation - 'players don't hold themselves back or play within themselves for certain long term reasons'.
Purist bullschid claptrap.  Players DO hold themselves back for bigger contests, do play within themselves if they fear injury might ruin participation in a big event.  Six Nations wasn't it this year and in a way, I loved that the Six Nations purists were furious that their bread and butter was only used as a training ground this year.

BUT... we still have a WC to compete in.  Players now have to prove and prove again that this is the one they were saving all their energy for.  Nothing gets easier, just harder.

Agree there fly. I think this will do more good for Ireland than winning in all honesty. I think it’s worst case for Samoa and Russia and with the BP from this match Ireland will run out as top finishers. Japan won’t come down from the win quick enough to regain composure. Sure Japan might win all matches and top, but I’d expect Ireland to clean up easily the next two.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:21 pm

I take this game as it is, is this Ireland team ( i do not like to use these words ) past their sell by date. too old for international rugby?

Best as made so many errors at line out time, not hitting his man, Kerney seems to just run in to contact, with no way of recycling the ball.

The "TEAM AS A WHOLE SEEMS" so slow to the break down, giving away too many penalties.

Ireland are not normaly like this, they are all ways pulling off great bits of play, play till the end on the game.

But it seems when  they get behind on the score board they give up even trying too get a draw or better still try to win the game. 

What is wrong with Ireland rugby?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I take this game as it is, is this Ireland team ( i do not like to use these words ) past their sell by date. too old for international rugby?

Best as made so many errors at line out time, not hitting his man, Kerney seems to just run in to contact, with no way of recycling the ball.

The "TEAM AS A WHOLE SEEMS" so slow to the break down, giving away too many penalties.

Ireland are not normaly like this, they are all ways pulling off great bits of play, play till the end on the game.

But it seems when  they get behind on the score board they give up even trying too get a draw or better still try to win the game. 

What is wrong with Ireland rugby?
Do you read The Sun?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:27 pm

No.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:49 pm

Great to see young Kiwi Carbery’s deft kicks creating both tries, one flicking back off his own chip. Plus the ensuring of the bonus point at the end after the intercept gave them the scare.

Expect to see Mo’unga and Barrett putting those up frequently as clearly it bemuses defences.

The kick to Ringrose was perfection.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:00 pm

You mean the Irishman carty taylorman?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:16 pm

Yep, the kid who dreamed of being an All Black who ended up in Ireland.
Jamie Joseph’s aftermatch speech was telling.

‘We’ve been planning and thinking about this match for the last year, three years subconsciously...Ireland have been thinking about it since Monday’

THATS what the World Cup is about.

A different beast, as I’ve said over the last year. Now coming to fruition.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:21 pm

I'll have to admit I didn't know carty dreamed of playing for New Zealand. Bit random.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:33 pm

It was when he was playing minor football for Roscommon. Wanted to be an all black then. So he could get to Croke park.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'll have to admit I didn't know carty dreamed of playing for New Zealand. Bit random.

Born in Auckland. Quite a heavy kiwi influence on this match on both sides. Wonder if they’ll keep Carbery on instead of Sexton. Joseph mentioned they caught them out with the chips... ‘and then tried to take them on physically when behind”. Big mistake.

Good thing is Ireland have two good options at 10.

Oz Wales tonight. Another upset maybe?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:44 pm

Presumably you mean 3 if you rate carbery there as well. Unless you actually dont rate Sexton. I know you Mickey take but Sexton is class if a bit brittle these days.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:46 pm

Taylorman wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:I'll have to admit I didn't know carty dreamed of playing for New Zealand. Bit random.

Born in Auckland. Quite a heavy kiwi influence on this match on both sides. Wonder if they’ll keep Carbery on instead of Sexton. Joseph mentioned they caught them out with the chips... ‘and then tried to take them on physically when behind”. Big mistake.

You are some dope. It was Jack Carty who created the tries. No I apologise you aren’t a dope. You have clearly spent too much time in the company of sheep and have developed that well known New Zealand disease woolforbrains.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:46 pm

I have australia to win it. Not sure a win either way is an upset though.
Geen has spolied my game now.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:55 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

You are some dope. It was Jack Carty who created the tries. No I apologise you aren’t a dope. You have clearly spent too much time in the company of sheep and have developed that well known New Zealand disease woolforbrains.

Ha ha was it, apologies. Only got the highlights here. Dope comment resoundingly accepted. Well then they’ve got three options.
Something about you lot and your name calling though. I guess it’s the emotions....I’ll leave you to breathe....in....out.....in....out... Whistle

Good luck for the rest of pool, though I think the real Ireland will be there for those and we’ll see some good stuff.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Presumably you mean 3 if you rate carbery there as well. Unless you actually dont rate Sexton. I know you Mickey take but Sexton is class if a bit brittle these days.

I don’t see a ‘Sexton based Ireland’ World Cup win. I don’t think he’s good or strong enough to carry them that far.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:00 pm

Hey 1 step at a time. At least you're gushing over carty eh? Personally I think ireland will still top their group. Obviously anything can happen in knock out rugby but I wouldn't be too surprised if they make the final.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:05 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Geen sport voor watjes wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Ha ha was it, apologies. Only got the highlights here. Dope comment resoundingly accepted. Well then they’ve got three options.
Something about you lot and your name calling though. I guess it’s the emotions....I’ll leave you to breathe....in....out.....in....out... Whistle

Good luck for the rest of pool, though I think the real Ireland will be there for those and we’ll see some good stuff.

Not that it matters but Carbery was 11 when he came to ireland. Both his parents are Irish so like Wellington said about being born in Ireland “just because you are born in a stable doesn’t make you a horse “

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:07 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Hey 1 step at a time. At least you're gushing over carty eh? Personally I think ireland will still top their group. Obviously anything can happen in knock out rugby but I wouldn't be too surprised if they make the final.

I would

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:07 pm

Ireland tops but I think will go out to SA. I still think they’ve underestimated the whole World Cup gig by coming into this with a narrow game plan. Like Argie in 2015 Ireland knew after thirty minutes they had a loseable match on, and didn’t find enough to finish it. In that respect I think they’re overated. SA, being SA, will be strong last 8. It won’t be pretty but I think they’ll just get there.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 29 Sep 2019, 12:30 pm

Well, you try to find the positives after a morning like Saturday.... you try to find enthusiasm to do a day's work after it, and I just about managed it.  Early Morning rugby is not proper manners!

Anyway, you finally try to look for positives.

First positive is, yet again, the gameplan was impotent stuff with 'ball carriers' taking the ball from standstill, standing virtually next to Murray.  Oh that's the dynamic stuff that will really make a mark on this World Cup... Whistle   The positive thing about it is that both Joe and Andy Farrell just have got to know it ain't good enough to win potential big games ahead.  And if they know, and if the training is supposed to be going good, then why is it happening? That is a coached part of the game, how ball carriers can become more dynamic weapons to at least try and break defensive lines.  Murray was whistling as he passed it to whistlers.

Second positive.  We've had some great defensive shifts.  No seriously, the Japanese came at us in droves and were persistent up tempo rascals.  They gave us a solid workout in allegedly brutally humid conditions.  They won the game and scored one try.  Bad result, good defensive shift.... to match the shift against Scotland who also tried to attack from everywhere and did make us work bloody hard in the endgame when we were down the man.
So good sides - or sides that might have been at one point or might still be fancied - have lost a game so far.  Three of them are SH championship sides, SA, Australia, Argentina.  Defences win competitions?  Australia have shipped 50 points in their two games so far.  Argentina 35.  France have had 21 scored against them already with just one game played.  Wales, a team in buoyant mood since GS win and 2 from 2 in WC so far, has let leak 39 points.
Ireland has let in 22.  Same as top of the pool side Japan... 12 more than extremely stingy England!

So bad day at the office for us.  Players looked out on their feet after two games against two teams that throw the ball around and look to go wide and constantly change the point of attack.  Good work outs.  More games to be played.  Have to try to conserve gas for other games and potential opponents past pools, IF we make it.

Time for pragmatism and to be philosophical. Our defence seems ready for games beyond the pool stages.  Our attack.. our offensive play as you might call it, needs much more grit, fury, determination and driving courage to genuinely break up defences around the middle of the field.  That part of our game remains pedestrian and impotent.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun 29 Sep 2019, 1:25 pm

The Japan game showed that Connor Murray's passing has been noticeably hampered by the neck injury he suffered a season or so ago.
His pass looked more and more laboured as the second half progressed. He often gestured for his forwards to get closer to him, making the tackling easier for the Japanese defenders. There was also a point where he was tackled hard, but fairly by the left winger and he looked really shaken by it, needing some medical treatment. Looked like he was clutching his shoulder?
If he gets an armchair ride he still looks class but not sure he is the right 9 to get Ireland through a tough Q. Final.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 29 Sep 2019, 2:20 pm

He's been good. I've warmed to him over the years because he did bring the extra physicality - and whether we all like it or not, that's the gameplan we operate to - hard yards, boshin' and bangin'.

I've warmed to him in recent years and learned to appreciate his qualities but yep, I've always had reservations about his passing. Don't think it took a shoulder injury to put that part of his game under scrutiny. Think our looser attack options would be enhanced by a more typical small, high spirited, rapid fire, annoying pryk of a 9. They just have a different temperament to bigger men and that cheeky, daring, darting edge is something Ireland misses in the position.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Sep 2019, 2:37 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You mean the Irishman carty taylorman?

Jeez that's embarrassing...

Give it a rest, T dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 29 Sep 2019, 11:19 pm

I hope the mood in camp becomes a little raw now... a little less school like and a little bit more like a high security prison for dangerous offenders.
So on his regular night prowls to tell all the lads that lights are Out at 10.00, I hope Joe gets it between the teeth:  'Shut the f**k up, Joe!  We've had enough of your Sergeant Major Shyte!  We're staying up late, we're drinking beer, we're playing cards and we have women under the beds!'

A little bit of anger release and resetting of values might serve the bunch and Schmidt well.  I have nothing against the Russians but I hope they meet an angry Ireland ready to do some damage.  They are players afraid to play with emotion.  It's been coached out of them, not to be trusted... the dangers of the red mist.

Well personally, I'll take red mist to drive us through the rest of this pool rather than the sad, tired, clueless faces I witnessed on Saturday.  Someone needs to take on this team and drag it through with the force of their personality.  They have to quit the robotic stuff.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 29 Sep 2019, 11:36 pm

So if Japan beat Scotland...as they should based purely on the efforts so far, Ireland will play the AB's. Who'd have thought that after thrashing the number 2 side. Upsets always happen, and have again, though when the coach of one of the sides says they've been eyeing this match up for a year or more, you can see why.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 29 Sep 2019, 11:42 pm

Easy one. We are 2-1 on recent meetings.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 29 Sep 2019, 11:53 pm

Taylorman wrote:So if Japan beat Scotland...as they should based purely on the efforts so far, Ireland will play the AB's. Who'd have thought that after thrashing the number 2 side. Upsets always happen, and have again, though when the coach of one of the sides says they've been eyeing this match up for a year or more, you can see why.

ABs. Yeah, a nice game if we get that far.

But you know the game I'd love now? A final between Ireland and Japan. Think it's the only way we could meet them again in this WC. I'd love to see us have another crack at them lads. Already it feels like unfinished business - first instalment.

So yeah. ABs first Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down