The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

+65
Collapse2005
robbo277
tigertattie
rodders
mikey_dragon
Heaf
Poorfour
theslosty
jimbopip
alive555
Blanko
Afro
poissonrouge
highland_scot
Exiledinborders
alanmackie6
Pie
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
The Great Aukster
No9
Dolphin Ziggler
profitius
Barney McGrew did it
LeinsterFan4life
Good Golly I'm Olly
Geordie
WELL-PAST-IT
Mr Fishpaste
Cyril
Engine#4
westisbest
Geen sport voor watjes
eirebilly
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Pal Joey
Soul Requiem
Scottrf
RiscaGame
Galted
EnglishReign
Brendan
TightHEAD
Duty281
maestegmafia
NeilyBroon
majesticimperialman
asoreleftshoulder
Taylorman
thebandwagonsociety
Tramptastic
BigGee
RDW
Rugby Fan
Old Man
poddy89
EWT Spoons
carpet baboon
George Carlin
SecretFly
bsando
BamBam
Ninjarugby
Pete330v2
69 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 20 Empty Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostTriesPFPA+/-BPPoints
Japan330098741+46214
Ireland3201117422+52311
Scotland320113982771210
Samoa310275381-2815
Russia3003119125-10600

Japan 30-10 Russia              
Ireland 27-3 Scotland  
Russia 9-34 Samoa                        
Japan 19-12 Ireland                          
Scotland 34-0 Samoa
Ireland 35-0 Russia
Japan 38-19 Samoa
Scotland 61-0 Russia

12 October 2019         Ireland v Samoa                         Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium, Fukuoka
13 October 2019         Japan v Scotland                         International Stadium Yokohama, Yokohama

Two games left. If Ireland get a TBP win on Saturday they qualify for the quarter finals irrespective of the result on Sunday. Any other result and they need to wait and see what happens between Japan and Scotland.
Any win for Japan and they will top the group (in fact a draw or losing with two bonus points will guarantee the same)
Most interesting scenario is if Ireland win without a bonus point - opening up a chance for Scotland to top the group if all 3 teams end up on 15pts and Scotland are able to keep their points difference ahead of Ireland.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:29 am; edited 5 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 20 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Lagon wrote:Everyone hasn't. Aki?

I was being too extreme. Most for both, although Aki is obviously a product of the SH.

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 20 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by Lagon Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Its not that simple at 2 metres. In fact, it's near impossible. Giant against midget trying to get below head of said midget. Red card for giant.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Yes he is, and more importantly is of PI roots, and it is the PI sides that are getting hit by this, either directly, by getting carded, or indirectly by having obsessed coaches, media and everyone who wants to ‘help’ them that they are thinking twice about how they tackle. As BOD says, the game is changing, no more big hits, they’re not worth the penalties. There is always fallout from poorly designed rules, this will be one.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Miaow, it was the space and time to react, not forgetting the mayhem of spilled ball. How many reds and destroyed games can we look forward too?

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:06 am

Lagon wrote:Miaow, it was the space and  time to react, not forgetting the mayhem  of spilled ball. How many reds and destroyed games can we look forward too?

Enough for teams to develop new strategies on the matter. Everyone’s ‘relearning’ how to tackle differently.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 am

Can they? Ok for touch rugby. Is that what you want?

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:13 am

Everyone - BoD included - is getting a bit carried away. Big hits aren't 'gone'. This is, quite literally, reactionary - never a good thing, and never the best moment or mindset for reasoned debate. He's paid to talk platitudes on TV. It's not gospel.

Here's the thing - the ball carrier's head can hit the defender's chest. That's still legal. You'll never, ever see it punished where a defender basically 'wraps up' or 'consumes' the attacker (I forget the term they use at the top level for it, but basically like a passive tackle where you use their momentum to bring them down). It's only an issue when it becomes shoulder or arm to the head. Think about the action required for that to actually happen - it's not a huge range of actions and 'space' the defender is aiming at for that contact to occur. The defender has to be typically aiming for the upper chest and higher to end up smashing the shoulder and/or arm around the chin and above.

Think about this for a moment. Think about how 'high' you actually be to commit a red card offence.

I'll repeat what I said over the page - the first lesson I was taught in rugby is that you can always get lower as a tackler than the attacker can as a carrier.

I'm going to ask again - how does carrying low stop the defender? And how, if your shoulder and arm is above their shoulder line, are you failing? Because the only issues so far have been swinging arms from the Kiwis where the player is low, Australians and Samoans putting in clothesline tackles at speed, some really cheap red card shots from the USA and maybe Argentina as well, and then a really overzealous penalty v Josh Adams where the arm is wrapping around at no force. We'll leave Kerevi alone for now as he's not the defender.

It is very, very rare - and hard - to 'try' to hit fairly and around the solar plexus, only to end up hitting the head. Every penalty there, bar Josh Adams', could be mitigated and avoided by the choice of the defender - the height they chose to tackle at.

This is one poster, T, parroting the narrative in his own country, which is basically using the most ridiculous scenario - players deliberately carrying head first, which I've heard trotted out by several Kiwi talking heads now - with the most ridiculous outcomes - 'no one will be able to tackle anything any more' - to justify a. their own foul play and b. not wanting to adapt and become more skills based. Some posters aren't seeing past that, it seems.

Again, let's reiterate. Rugby is not the game it was 10 years ago. It's closer to NFL these days with the force in collisions. You cannot keep the laws as they are. You cannot keep the tactics as they are.

Go and talk to Shontayne Hape. Look at the 4 French players who died this year. It is becoming a ridiculously dangerous sport IN SPITE of the laws 'going soft'. Just think about that for a moment - the law changes aren't actually working. World Rugby still hasn't sorted this issue of head injuries out. We're still having players lose months of playing team each season with head injuries and concussion problems. This, as it stands, still isn't enough - there has to be adaptation elsewhere, too.

The trial law of tackling low was abandoned as, unsurprisingly, it led to an increase in head injuries. If you force low tackles each time, guess what, it's not safe. There needs to be jeopardy for both players in not knowing who's going high and who's going low and the various choices in between - for the sake of knees and hips to the head of the defender, and the sake of arms and shoulders to the head of the attacker. Players have to get used to adapting - red cards can become yellows, penalties, or even nothing if they choose to adapt. Clearly there are some countries that take the issue of player welfare more seriously than others, as the NH is showing adaptation can be done - the SH are the dinosaurs and need to catch up. The Samoans can still keep going for the big hit if they want, but only if it's fair and legal - which hasn't exactly been a priority of the Islanders' over the years. Not sure why that's a dreadful loss to the game - look at the Samoans, who have been an absolute shower this year and look totally disorganised, and their attempts to take the Russian 15 out of the match in the first game. 2 red cards would have been barely justice - again, let's not kid ourselves that the 'big hit' isn't also the 'match ending hit'. Not we know that the consequences extend far beyond the game itself, I have literally zero sympathy for retaining the 'big borderline hit' for the sake of player safety. None. You can still hit fairly and legally and 'big' - you just have to adapt.

The current laws are quite clearly the best situation - if in doubt, go 'soft' as you can and just 'ride' the tackle (kinky). Don't follow through and smash them. Again, the NH teams have mostly adapted to this and the rate of cards/penalties is excellent compared to the SH. It can be done. You then look for an edge elsewhere. Or, you don't, you fail to adapt your technique and your overall team tactics, you talk about 'manning up', and you get players red carded. Honestly sounds like just about the best situation to me, personally - the only issue was WR going soft in the first week against the Samoans and Australia.

Lagon, I see your point and I feel this then becomes a wider tactical issue regarding 'the gainline', defensive set ups, gang tackling/maul-carrying where players barge the carrier from behind. All sorts of things that have been ignored, basically, but are clearly dangerous with bigger/stronger men - choke tackle, too. Same goes for the way the tackle laws are just abandoned within 5m of the tryline - no arms, head contact etc. The game is changing every 6 months at the moment and it's very, very hard for the laws to catch up. The scrum laws have helped teams stop the endless pursuit of 'bigger is better' across the field, but this is a tough issue we need to get right. It's not easy, but there needs to be a wider discussion about what to 'save' in rugby, and what to get rid of, particularly with regard to defence. In particular, I'd like to see a minimisation of the gang tackle etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 am

Taylorman wrote:
Lagon wrote:Miaow, it was the space and  time to react, not forgetting the mayhem  of spilled ball. How many reds and destroyed games can we look forward too?

Enough for teams to develop new strategies on the matter. Everyone’s ‘relearning’ how to tackle differently.

Precisely. As I said, some have learnt, some have willfully ignored and are crying foul. Adapt or die.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 am

Why on earth am I arguing against you? I was supporting your argument.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:16 am

Rugby then adapts to hurt the opposition other ways. Its rugby.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:18 am

Oi. Stop whinging on about tackles and if they are high or not. I’m trying to see if the game is on or off!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:20 am

Hopefully it's on. I'm right with you.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:22 am

Sorry tiger. Agreed - it is to do with your group tbf.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:23 am

Actually the time is due about now.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 am

miaow wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Precisely. As I said, some have learnt, some have willfully ignored and are crying foul. Adapt or die.

Well that’s two world cups, Juniors included, where multiple, matches have been lost as true competitions. Several at the U20s, several here. How many now? 7?

That’s ridiculous. Three times as many as the typhoon itself wiped out, so in terms of impact, a category 15.and the main event hasn’t even started!

How many more world cups have to be played before the entire rugby playing world has to suffer through multiple non contests.

You know, when you try to think, you really do do it poorly.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 am

'True competition'.

What on earth are you on about?

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:29 am

majesticimperialman wrote:ok,ok. keep your hair on.

I’m sure you’re a good poster on the sly, but try and use google or sky sports or whatever for most of your questions. I’m not wound up, but your posting seems to be asking questions you can source from elsewhere, or trying to be clever and wind up, when it doesn’t really suit you.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:30 am

Girls, take it easy.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 am

Now watching the highlights. Addicted...

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:36 am

Lagon wrote:Girls, take it easy.

A phrase you've presumably never had to say out loud?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:38 am

I've lived a very complex life. 😁

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:42 am

Out loud to team mates? No, I value my life.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 am

I'm not sure you're allowed a second go at a comeback tbh. Particularly not when it took 4 minutes to think it up haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:48 am

Fair enough. In mitigation I'm watching the Ireland match on utv😁

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagon Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:52 am

Just highlights by the way.

Lagon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:04 am

Funnist thing is the worst head collision I have seen desired a red and didnt get one...Liam on Biggar. Surely if we're saying that this is a safety and recklessness issue then it should apply to any player hitting any other player

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 am

Pie wrote:Funnist thing is the worst head collision I have seen desired a red and didnt get one...Liam on Biggar. Surely if we're saying that this is a safety and recklessness issue then it should apply to any player hitting any other player

If anyone was going to get a card in that incident then it would be Biggar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 am

The Oracle wrote:
Pie wrote:Funnist thing is the worst head collision I have seen desired a red and didnt get one...Liam on Biggar. Surely if we're saying that this is a safety and recklessness issue then it should apply to any player hitting any other player

If anyone was going to get a card in that incident then it would be Biggar.

Why it wasn't Liam got knocked senseless

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20