The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread

+8
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
hampo17
guildfordbat
kwinigolfer
Dolphin Ziggler
Galted
westisbest
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread - Page 2 Empty The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread

Post by westisbest Wed May 29, 2019 11:23 am

First topic message reminder :

Great win on Monday.

Gonna be an interesting summer ahead for the villa. Hopefully get whatever loan players we can signed up.
Mings and Axel would be a great start.
We need a decent left back. Another attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder.

Another striker. Owners have said they will spend a good bit of money. Hopefully it’s used wisely.

Have enjoyed the championship to be honest, but a great feeling to be back.
If we didn’t win Monday, would of been a long time in the championship.
Wasn’t looking possible back in March. Incredible run did the job in the end. Was a great time. Certainly won’t go on any kind of run next season.
Fair play to Smith, Terry and the rest of the coaches and back room staff.

Here’s hoping to another 20+ and more years in the top flight.
Will enjoy the summer and look forward to the fixtures.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread

Post by hampo17 Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Sad to see that people want Smith out, yes it has been a tough season but realistically who are you going to get in? Big Sam?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread

Post by westisbest Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 pm

Smith just seems out of his depth.
Yes he got us up and would be great if we had done better.

The football isn’t great. Saints and Bournemouth away recently was just dreadful.

Hasn’t made great decisions. Makes subs to later in games.

I actually like the bloke, like I do Bruce, but I can’t see us staying up if he stays.

Who would we get in if he does go, which I think he won’t. Who knows.

I hope we do stay up and he proves us wrong, but at this stage it’s not looking likely.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:25 pm

That’s my issue, really. So many failed before him in the Champ, and he’s basically got a really tough job. Sheffield United are a freak but it’s worth remembering very pretty Norwich are bottom. Villa are 2 points behind with a game in hand.

A local manager who has achieved with the club, got Grealish playing, probably had his most important (whisper that quietly) player taken away in McGinn and then lost his ‘keeper.

I’m generally of the opinion you keep the man who got you up unless he’s obviously failed through incompetence. Not sure Smith has

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Don't disagree with much of that but the problem with Villa at the moment is that they're not even competing. If they were making a fist of each game I'd think differently but, match after match, they're just getting rolled over. Most fans (from what I see on Twitter anyway) have been patient and supportive throughout the season but it is now reaching a stage where his competence is being called into question.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 pm

McGinn and Heaton have been big losses.

A real shame Wesley didn’t do better either.

It’s tough though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:That’s my issue, really. So many failed before him in the Champ, and he’s basically got a really tough job. Sheffield United are a freak but it’s worth remembering very pretty Norwich are bottom. Villa are 2 points behind with a game in hand.

A local manager who has achieved with the club, got Grealish playing, probably had his most important (whisper that quietly) player taken away in McGinn and then lost his ‘keeper.

I’m generally of the opinion you keep the man who got you up unless he’s obviously failed through incompetence. Not sure Smith has

Agree with this - Villa are 2 points off safety, with a game in hand, having lost some key players to injury and having had a cup run to the final, and played well in that final.

Even if they do go down, are they going to get someone better than Smith to bring them back up? He's a proven pretty damn good manager at the level below, if the worst case scenario does happen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 pm

westi,
I'm starting to see reports of Peter Whittingham's death, apparently due to a "fall". 35. Ridiculous. Fine player for you guys, and Cardiif.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi Kwini.

Yeah heard about that. Heard that he had died.
Then someone posted a tweet to say he was seriously injured.

Although on a villa page on Facebook it said he had died.

Very sad, quite liked Whittingham. Gave it his all.

Seems like there is a curse with ex villa players passing away over the last few years.

Atkinson, Ehiough, Regis, Samuel.

RIP.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:50 pm

Just read that he’s in recovery.

Hopefully a speedy one.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Confirmed that Peter Whittingham has now sadly passed away.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Just John wrote:Confirmed that Peter Whittingham has now sadly passed away.

Terrible news,
Just watched a video of dozens of his "greatest" goals, wonderful, LeTiss-like striker of a ball.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Really sad. Another good one gone.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Needed a win today. Played well in parts.
Every point is vital, but we need wins. Hopefully we can pull off a couple of big wins.

Not looking to likely though at the moment.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 am

Your boys are still in the fight though, Westy. The drop zone looks interesting atm ... at least from a neutral's perspective!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:11 am

I’d say it’s 2 from 4 to join Norwich(think it’s to much for them).

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:31 am

westisbest wrote:I’d say it’s 2 from 4 to join Norwich(think it’s to much for them).

Scoring a goal is too much for us at the moment Westi, let alone winning a game! furious
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm

That’s it for us then I think.
No desire in the team.

Liverpool and Man U next.

Think Smith will go. Couple of the guys mentioned Dyche or Hughton.

Will be a good few out the door. We need to sign the right players if we can.

Players this season not up to it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Can't disagree with that. Had the feeling that was it after the Chelsea game and Newcastle confirmed it, if there's one manager who's not going to outwit Smith it's Bruce and still couldn't get the 3 points. Villa barely look like fluking a win let alone getting on a run, and it's hard to see how we'll overtake 2 of the others even if Watford, West Ham and Bournemouth continually drop points.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 am

Our only outside chance is that if Watford West Ham and Bournemouth keep losing to and it literally comes down to the last game of the season.

West Ham v Villa
Everton v Bournemouth
Arsenal v Watford

Even that’s hanging onto a lot of hope.

Think we will be gone by then.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Not a lot of difference in quality between Villa, West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford, so I wouldn't say all is lost yet. Any of those four could go down and I wouldn't be surprised.

Think it'll be West Ham and Watford joining Norwich, personally.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 am

Very frustrating yesterday. We deserved a point.

Actually played pretty well for a change. Just can’t seem to score, we had our chances.

Watford beat Norwich(c’mon Ollys boys), then we have a bigger task.

Hopefully that performance yesterday will help get the wins we need, although I think it’s to late.

I think the 3 now will go.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am

I wouldn't be holding out much hope of us doing you a favour Westi, we're lucky to get a shot on target at the moment let alone a goal
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Brilliant stuff. Very nervy last few minutes.
Didn’t see that 2 weeks ago.

Quality.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Galted wrote:Had the feeling that was it after the Chelsea game and Newcastle confirmed it, if there's one manager who's not going to outwit Smith it's Bruce and still couldn't get the 3 points.  Villa barely look like fluking a win let alone getting on a run, and it's hard to see how we'll overtake 2 of the others even if Watford, West Ham and Bournemouth continually drop points.

I always said we'd stay up.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 pm

Good to get off to a win. It wasn’t great though. Frustrating again.
We need to be putting away our chances.
Great save from Martinez.

Hopefully Traoré will be a good player. Still need another one, maybe even two attacking players. Rashica?

Thought the red was harsh.

A win nonetheless.

Onto Bristol City Thursday night.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Only team in the top flight not to have conceded a goal. Great to have a scrap to gloat about for a change.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Decent win last night. Good debut for Traoré and goal.
Looks decent. Hopefully he will have a good season.

Stoke home next round. Hopefully progress through that game.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Good win. Probably should have scored a couple more.
Good start to the season, in all competitions.
Team is looking pretty decent.
Still need another attacking midfielder, winger and another striker I would say.

Needed those 6 points, as we have Liverpool and Leicester next.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:44 am

Ross Barkley in season long loan. Decent signing.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:18 pm

F*ck me, didn't see that coming.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Unbelievable. Played really well tonight. Could of had 10.
Watkins looks the part. Barkley is a class signing. Cash to.

Looking good for the season.
Rumours Rashica signing tomorrow.

Hopefully sneak another striker in to.

Great stuff though.

UTV

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Transfer window's been phenomenal so far.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Very poor second half. Dreadful. Fair play to Leeds.
Always going to have a couple of those results.

Players didn’t look like they wanted it at 2-0.

Disappointing. Great start to the season, tonight aside.
Hopefully back to winning ways on Sunday.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Annoying, didn't expect the run to go on forever but would've been nice to spend a night on top of the table.

Can't have any complaints about the start to the season though, would've been shocked six weeks ago to be told it would be four wins out of the first five games.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Christ a strange game.
Two silly free kicks to give away.

We only started playing when 4-0 down.

Made the score line look a bit respectable.

We could well have won it but for McCarthy.
Not sure if Martinez made a save.

Two defeats in a row now. Need to get back to winning ways.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:38 pm

I'm feeling a bit more comfortable about not putting a tenner on Villa to win the league when the odds were 1,000-1.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:44 pm

Apart from the second half against Leeds and the first half today, we’ve done well this season.

Not all doom and gloom, although could do with conceding less in games.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:04 pm

westisbest wrote:Apart from the second half against Leeds and the first half today, we’ve done well this season.

Not all doom and gloom, although could do with conceding less in games.

Weird spread of goals conceded: 3 clean sheets and 2, 3 and 4 in the other 3 games.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:11 pm

Great win tonight. We looked a threat every time we went forward.
3 away wins an no goals conceded.

Shoukd really have been 4 Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:43 pm

Martinez has kept more clean sheets at the Emirates this season than Leno.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Galted wrote:Martinez has kept more clean sheets at the Emirates this season than Leno.

Quality signing. Did Villa change their deal maker this summer? Last year's scatter gun purchase policy seems to have been replaced by some really astute business this summer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Should have won last night but that’s the way it goes unfortunately.
Lost the last 4 out of 5, which is a concern, despite playing well.

Said enough about VAR. Shame Watkins missed the pen though.

Must say, the Jack delayed reaction when the West Ham player clipped his knee was pretty embarrassing. Needs to cut that out. The man is such a talent. Doesn’t need to lower his standards.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Indeed, very embarrassing from Grealish.

Talented, but he’s just so unlikeable.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:18 am

Great win today. Much needed. Another away win and clean sheet.
Next two games

Burnley h
WBA a

Hopefully get six points from them.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Very frustrating game this evening.
Should have taken all 3 points.

If we had some good finishers, we could be third or fourth in the table.

Plus side another clean sheet and at least we didn’t lose.
Defiantly need another striker, despite Wesley coming back.
Another winger and another centre midfielder.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Grealish had a stormer and orchestrated so many good attacks, just, as you say, no one to finish it off. Villa should have scored at least 3.

Leaves Leicester as the only team not to draw a game so far this season.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:08 pm

That's a relief. Had a nasty suspicion Allardyce would nick something on his return.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Good win. Was very frustrating at 1-0, with the chances we had.
That offside goal was a joke. Frustrating for Watkins.
Hasn’t been the same player since that pen miss at West Ham.

El Ghazi with a good game tonight. Trarore to.

Another 3 points on the road and another clean sheet.

Back to Villa Park Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas Galted. The Aston Villa it’s good to be back thread - Page 2 3602195817

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:27 pm

Merry Christmas, Westi. Hope Santa delivers a bit of form in front of goal, especially for Watkins.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Great 3 points that after the red. Surprised to be above Spurs with a game in hand.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next