The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+4
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
Afro
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 May 2019, 2:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surrey have named a 14-man squad for this week’s Specsavers County Championship match with Somerset, starting at Taunton on Tuesday.
Scott Borthwick could be line for his first appearance of the domestic campaign having been out since failing a fitness test with a side injury before the start of the Essex match last month. Rikki Clarke is also back after missing much of the Royal London One-Day Cup group stage with an open wound on his finger.
Sam Curran has been made unavailable by the ECB to allow him to rest after his stint in the Indian Premier League. mad mad mad Jade Dernbach (calf) is not yet fully fit while Tom Curran, Liam Plunkett and Jason Roy are all with England for the current ODI series against Pakistan.
There is no place in the squad for Amar Virdi, Jordan Clark or Matt Dunn.
FULL SQUAD
Rory Burns (c)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rikki Clarke
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Conor McKerr
Stuart Meaker
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Freddie van den Bergh
Smith, Meaker and maybe Batty, but if it looks like Somerset have helped Leach out Wink then maybe Jacks
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 May 2019, 5:23 pm

Clarke gets the key wicket of Hildreth - just as Somerset look to be getting on top, Surrey seem to be able to take a wicket

Shaping up to be a good game this one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 5:25 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Clarke gets the key wicket of Hildreth - just as Somerset look to be getting on top, Surrey seem to be able to take a wicket

Shaping up to be a good game this one

As Olly says.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 5:34 pm

Dreth was a big, big wicket. I think that swings it towards Surrey on top
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 5:58 pm

Afro wrote:Dreth was a big, big wicket. I think that swings it towards Surrey on top

On paper Brooks, Leach and Groenwald don't look too clever at 9, 10, Jack. Hoping Morkel can knock 'em over without conceding much when the time comes.

Btw, Brooks didn't appear this morning - referred to on coms as having a sore calf. Don't know how much that will restrict him in the rest of this game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 6:11 pm

Nope. Not too clever on the pitch. It’s these two plus Overton if we are going to get close to your score
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 May 2019, 1:40 pm

guildfordbat wrote:JimBob - I understand your frustration with Jacks but let's give him the rest of this match before we pick next week's team.

Decent work by Patel and Clarke to stick around and add a few in the last half hour. However, I can't help feeling we've let an excellent opportunity slip. 400 seems some way off and I'm not sure even that would be enough on this track at such a small ground. You would think all our 4 main bowlers will need to fire.

Fair play to Somerset. They stuck at it and got some rewards late on. Especially Gregory. Been doing some digging on him recently. Eight or nine years ago he was the leading light of the England u19 side and thought to be a real future star although probably more then for his batting.

Ho hum.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 May 2019, 2:14 pm

Always a star for us. Is a regular wicket taker and has been for years, and captaincy of the T20 side has taken him up a notch.

Probably not quick enough to be an international all rounder though.

Interestingly, for someone who is reasonable with the bat, that is his first 100 at Taunton
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 May 2019, 2:16 pm

Somerset take the lead.

Next target is getting the batting bonus point whilst denying you guys the extra bowling bonus.

And then just getting whatever lead we can
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 May 2019, 2:32 pm

Afro wrote:Somerset take the lead.

Next target is getting the batting bonus point whilst denying you guys the extra bowling bonus.

And then just getting whatever lead we can

Ah rats! I cursed that didn't I
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 May 2019, 4:00 pm

Slightly odd that we took the most bonus points (7 to 6) but conceded a lead of 18.

Currently 43/2 second dig. Effectively 25/2 in a one innings match. Not good. I would take the draw from here. Hard to see us having enough time to put a decent total on the board (even if we can) and then take 10 wickets.

In contrast, if Somerset can have us 5 down tonight, they'll be scenting blood in the morning and looking to knock off the runs needed in the last two sessions.

I'm assuming the weather holds. Not meant to be so good tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 May 2019, 4:07 pm

And with the score still on 43, Patel goes. Bowled by Leach for the second time in the match. Effectively 25/3. It wasn't good 10 minutes ago and it's just got a lot worse ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 16 May 2019, 5:04 pm

What is wrong with Elgar?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 May 2019, 5:36 pm

LondonTiger wrote:What is wrong with Elgar?

Reported on Surrey twitter to have been ''taken ill this morning'' and unlikely to take part today.

103/4 with Foakes now back in the hutch. Jacks joins Burns at the crease. We need a knock from Jacks, eh JimBob?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 May 2019, 6:45 pm

Well, that was day 3, moving day. Somerset have moved ahead.

Couldn't understand what Burns was doing 3 overs before stumps. Advanced down the wicket to apparently play a defensive push and then missed it. Important wicket for Somerset when Burns and Jacks had just put on on 50.

I also didn't think much of Morkel coming out at number 7. Never normally keen on nightwatchmen. Even though he got through to the end, the odds are he'll be an early wicket and a further boost to Somerset's morale in the morning. Certainly going to be in even more trouble if Elgar is still Uncle Dick tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 May 2019, 9:04 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:What is wrong with Elgar?

Reported on Surrey twitter to have been ''taken ill this morning'' and unlikely to take part today.

103/4 with Foakes now back in the hutch. Jacks joins Burns at the crease. We need a knock from Jacks, eh JimBob?

Now reported as kidney stones. That'll need more and take longer than a paracetamol and a couple of hours in bed. picard

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 16 May 2019, 9:19 pm

only rain can surrey from defeat sadly Sad
Have to agree with Guildford about Burns that really was a brain fart moment.
also good to see Jacks responding to my comment well Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 17 May 2019, 11:32 am

Shame about Burns yesterday evening - he had battled away really well for a long time and kept the score ticking over.

I had pretty much given up all hope of Surrey saving the match, but this morning some useful runs scored by Jacks and Morkel. Somerset also missed Morkel at first slip. Jacks lucky to survive an LBW appeal - but he has batted really impressively, and didn't seem at all fazed yesterday evening when took an age to get off the mark.

Now drizzling and the players are off with Surrey 169 ahead. Plenty of time left in the game, but if delay continues for several hours then a draw comes back into the equation.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 May 2019, 12:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Well, that was day 3, moving day. Somerset have moved ahead.

Couldn't understand what Burns was doing 3 overs before stumps. Advanced down the wicket to apparently play a defensive push and then missed it. Important wicket for Somerset when Burns and Jacks had just put on on 50.

I also didn't think much of Morkel coming out at number 7. Never normally keen on nightwatchmen. Even though he got through to the end, the odds are he'll be an early wicket and a further boost to Somerset's morale in the morning. Certainly going to be in even more trouble if Elgar is still Uncle Dick tomorrow.

Of course the other side to the nightwatchmen argument (I am usually very much on your side of it Guildford), is that what happens this morning with Morkel happens...they hang around, take some sting out of the attack and allow your "batsmen" to come in at a less threatening time.

Good work so far for Surrey today - presuming we have no update on Elgar's availability? (I would assume he isn't going to bat, but has it been officially confirmed? He is a tough SOB!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 12:20 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

Of course the other side to the nightwatchmen argument (I am usually very much on your side of it Guildford), is that what happens this morning with Morkel happens...they hang around, take some sting out of the attack and allow your "batsmen" to come in at a less threatening time.

Good work so far for Surrey today - presuming we have no update on Elgar's availability? (I would assume he isn't going to bat, but has it been officially confirmed? He is a tough SOB!)

INCREDIBLY Elgar was playing football in the warm up this morning, according to Somerset twitter. Shocked

With the time being lost now and assuming they start again (they should do, eh Corporal?), I would think another 50 runs and a lead of 220 would make the draw almost nailed on.

Yeah, Olly, I accept there is another side to the nightwatchman argument - I just believe it carries less weight than my take. Tbf to me and as the Corporal posted, Morkel should have been taken at slip before the drizzle came.

Meanwhile, it looks as if JimBob will need to give Jacks a place in the next Surrey line up. Mind you, again in line with the Corporal, he was darned fortunate to get an lbw shout from COve go in his favour.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 May 2019, 12:34 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

INCREDIBLY Elgar was playing football in the warm up this morning, according to Somerset twitter. Shocked

With the time being lost now and assuming they start again (they should do, eh Corporal?), I would think another 50 runs and a lead of 220 would make the draw almost nailed on.

Yeah, Olly, I accept there is another side to the nightwatchman argument - I just believe it carries less weight than my take. Tbf to me and as the Corporal posted, Morkel should have been taken at slip before the drizzle came.

Meanwhile, it looks as if JimBob will need to give Jacks a place in the next Surrey line up. Mind you, again in line with the Corporal, he was darned fortunate to get an lbw shout from COve go in his favour.

Yep just read that, and also a tweet from a local Somerset reporter that he is expected to bat "despite kidney stones". As I said, he is one tough SOB! Great commitment clap (and I am sure Guildford will note, in stark contrast to a former South African overseas Surrey had.... censored )

I must say I personally really rate Jacks. Not sure what "it" is, but he looks to have "it" to me!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 May 2019, 1:39 pm

I note the covers haven't blown onto the wicket this year.... censored devil
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 17 May 2019, 1:58 pm

Next inspection 2pm. I guess if a start follows relatively soon thereafter we will have lost 30 -35 overs from the day's play. That would still leave Surrey having to bat for a solid period through the afternoon to secure a draw.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 17 May 2019, 2:00 pm

I think there was more rain forecast at 5 when I last checked, so I think Elgar being fit or not is going to be irrelevant.

Shame the weather ruined it. This was a really good game
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 17 May 2019, 2:12 pm

Denlys really done a good Moeen job so far, 27 off 5 overs for a spin all rounder against the best batsmen in whats expected to be a 400+ game is very good. Couple of vague chances produced as well.

Pakistan will need the fireworks down the order to get an intimidating total on what appears to be a very good batting surface with short boundaries.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 2:15 pm

Olly - for sure, a previous South African overseas would have taken to his bed whist his wife went on another de luxe shopping trip.

I was talking recently to a delightful old gentleman at the Oval - he goes back to the days of Laker, Lock and the Bedsers. Anyway, he still certainly knows how many balls make up an over and also rates Jacks highly. He emphasised that Jacks is ''the youngest of our young players''. As well as saying we should that into account in judging him now, he also thought Jacks might go on to be the best of them.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 2:24 pm

Resuming at 2.15. 56 overs left in the day.

Get another 50 runs off 18 overs. Leaves them needing 220 off 36 - should secure the draw.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 3:07 pm

Guys - if you get a chance, have look at the second ball of the 74th over - bowled by Overington to Elgar. A real swinging lifter which Elgar did brilliantly to avoid!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 17 May 2019, 3:07 pm

Jacks and Morkel both gone Yikes
Elgar and Clarke in

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 May 2019, 3:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Guys - if you get a chance, have look at the second ball of the 74th over - bowled by Overington to Elgar. A real swinging lifter which Elgar did brilliantly to avoid!

Not quite sure how Elgar survived that Overton spell...but he did!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 3:26 pm

Job almost done. Leading by 213 with 3 wksts left. 38 overs left which becomes 36 with 2 lost on change of innings.

Good fight being shown by the batters. Even in good health, Elgar is not particularly fluent but he's always up for the scrap.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 17 May 2019, 3:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Job almost done. Leading by 213 with 3 wksts left. 38 overs left which becomes 36 with 2 lost on change of innings.

Good fight being shown by the batters. Even in good health, Elgar is not particularly fluent but he's always up for the scrap.
Right on cue picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 17 May 2019, 3:44 pm

tea a lead of 229
rain still needed imo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 May 2019, 3:47 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:tea a lead of 229
rain still needed imo

Way too pessimistic here Jimbob - draw almost nailed on now, I'd say
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 3:50 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:tea a lead of 229
rain still needed imo

There's no way they'll get that now, JimBob. You can relax and look forward to a drink in the bar once the Corporal opens up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 17 May 2019, 4:15 pm

Bad light has saved us Winner

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 May 2019, 4:18 pm

Bad light stops play. Pretty sure that'll be it. Even if play resumes, we'll declare at 4.50 and shake hands on the draw.

Some very good fight shown today but a mixed bag before that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 17 May 2019, 4:44 pm

Match drawn

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 17 May 2019, 4:49 pm

Well its probably Surrey the happier with the rain coming but what an unexpectedly awful start to the season they have had across the formats

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 17 May 2019, 5:07 pm

Certainly it will be Surrey that's the happier of the two teams with the draw.  Must say that I thought Surrey showed quite a lot of grit in the second innings after the initial collapse. (Worth mentioning Rikki Clarke who batted 162 balls across both innings without being dismissed.)

I think Surrey's indifferent start (championship) and awful start (one day) to the season is not that unexpected.  We've lost a shedload of bowlers to injury or unavailability - Curran, Curran, Dernbach, Virdi (+ Rikki Clarke for a bit), Dunn. And we've been thin on batting front as well with Pope, Roy, Foakes, Borthwick out due to various causes for some time. Probably forgotten some as well!  I would think there's also been an element of hangover from last year's successful campaign.

So no bubbly on offer at the bar this evening - but a couple of beers probably OK! Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 17 May 2019, 8:55 pm

Good to see Virdi taking plenty of wickets for the seconds against Glam, even though Surrey lost. Hopefully he'll now be back in contention for cc matches.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2