The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

+17
Nathaniel Jacobs
Duty281
Diggers
GPB
beninho
Be_the_ball
AlciG
pedro
navyblueshorts
wiretapper
super_realist
sirbenson
Shotrock
NedB-H
I'm never wrong
McLaren
kwinigolfer
21 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Apr 2019, 1:38 pm

Not really "Notes" this week, just the start of a Masters thread.

There's increasingly little new to say about The Masters, for the most part there's not much new to say about the field, the most likely contenders, or even the course.

The old habit of picking the winner via a process of elimination and seeing who is left when the music stops seems to result in the same cast of characters year after year, largely because nothing much changes.
This year I suppose the emergence of DeChambeau adds some scientific interest, there's the bizarre weight loss by Brooks Koepka, Jordan Spieth's loss of form, and always the breathless anticipation to see what outfit Tiger Woods is burdened with.

But Justin Rose has only been out of the Top 14 once (T25) in the past eight Masters, he's in good form, his mate Fooch is back on the bag and you'd think he'll be more focused than ever.

If not Justin, WHO?

Dustin Johnson and Rory have 8 x Top Tens between them in their past nine appearances, both are in great form and I'm going to go for the winner from those three no matter how hard I try.

But something a little more sporty: How about Thursday's 10.42 a.m. tee time with Charley Hoffman, Oosthuizen and Leishman playing together - any one of them, perhaps all three should be great each way investments.

Then there's Team GB which hasn't been as strong for 30 years, and is deeper than ever. Casey, Fitz, Tommy & Poults join Justin & Rory, with Hatton, Eddie Pepp and Matt Wallace (leading rookie?) all improving fast.  

Best rank outsider? Corey Conners played as an amateur a few years ago, dusted off an opening 80 with a second round 69 and won a ballsy victory in Texas.

There's so much written about The Masters elsewhere, that I'll leave it at that, except to say the weather is a bit iffy, rain earlier this week, and breezy with chance of thunderstorms thru the weekend.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Apr 2019, 1:59 pm

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/photo-winners-gather-reeds-hearty-2019-masters-champions-dinner

Who's that hiding behind Jose Maria? Tommy Aaron??

I think they're all in the house except for Jackie Burke . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

Small quibble but was there ever a time that Casey, Donald, Westwood, Rose and others (maybe around 2010-2012) were more likely to win Majors than the current crop of UK golfers?

But it it easy to see why you would avoid making Masters predictions given the slightly quirky winners it throws up.  Sergio, Willett, Charl, Cabrera, Trevor, Weir in the last decade have won having not really been major contenders before and after their wins (in some cases form at the time and not career achievements before someone piles in).  I know the Open had that funky period where Hamilton, Curtis and Clarke won but overall the Masters feels like it will throw up a winner outside the established in form players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 10 Apr 2019, 7:21 pm

Conor's take on the Masters. https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/1115610313125240832

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 10 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

Who, out of this lot will make the cut? Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Langer, Lyle, Mize, Olazabal, Singh, Weir, Willett and Woosnam? What's the connection?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 10 Apr 2019, 7:28 pm

I’m guessing they’re the list of former champions who aren’t also qualified via another criteria. Although Willett only won three years ago and there’s a standard five year exemption to every major when you win one.

I predict three made cuts total, coming from any three of Langer, Couples, Mize, Lyle, Singh and Willett.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 10 Apr 2019, 7:56 pm

It's almost unanimous .... https://www.pgatour.com/expert-picks/2019/04/09/fantasy-golf-advice-tips-picks-2019-masters-tournament-augusta-national.html

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 10 Apr 2019, 9:06 pm

Correct Ned. I think just two of them. Langer and Couples. I’m bound to be wrong.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Apr 2019, 9:18 pm

Don't know how fit Danny Willett is, but don't see any reason at all why he shouldn't have a good week.

He spends a lot of time getting judged on what he hasn't done, but has some terrific wins which seem to be conveniently forgotten.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm

Hi Kwini/All

Bring on tomorrow! Should be a brilliant week as ever!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:18 pm

sirbenson wrote:Hi Kwini/All

Bring on tomorrow! Should be a brilliant week as ever!

Blimey! sirb!!

Good to hear from you. Come back . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:33 pm

I intend to post more as the season goes on and especially during the majors!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Apr 2019, 7:48 am

McLaren wrote:Small quibble but was there ever a time that Casey, Donald, Westwood, Rose and others (maybe around 2010-2012) were more likely to win Majors than the current crop of UK golfers?

But it it easy to see why you would avoid making Masters predictions given the slightly quirky winners it throws up.  Sergio, Willett, Charl, Cabrera, Trevor, Weir in the last decade have won having not really been major contenders before and after their wins (in some cases form at the time and not career achievements before someone piles in).  I know the Open had that funky period where Hamilton, Curtis and Clarke won but overall the Masters feels like it will throw up a winner outside the established in form players.

That's why it's a bit more interesting Mac as a tournament than the normal US bore fests, from a betting perspective there's probably never a better chance to win on someone who is 70/1.
I think I got Charl at 90/1 or something like that when he won.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 11 Apr 2019, 9:16 am

McLaren wrote:Small quibble but was there ever a time that Casey, Donald, Westwood, Rose and others (maybe around 2010-2012) were more likely to win Majors than the current crop of UK golfers?

Sergio?

I appreciate you don''t like him Mac but I'm pretty sure he was a major contender prior to winning the Masters

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:26 am

Spot on wire,
All of those mentioned had decent credentials, including Darren Clarke.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:40 am

Super - Wallace has always only gone and won the par three contest. My bet down the drain?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:43 am

I'm never wrong wrote:Super - Wallace has always only gone and won the par three contest. My bet down the drain?
Some has to break that 'tradition' sometime, don't they?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:48 am

Hopefully Navy. I can but hope.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 11 Apr 2019, 12:10 pm

wiretapper wrote:

Sergio?

I appreciate you don''t like him Mac but I'm pretty sure he was a major contender prior to winning the Masters
All the mentioned players were multiple ET or PGAT winners before winning the green jacket.
But hardly surprising there aren't any Curtis'es and Micheel's among the Masters winners since they basically only invite top 50 + past champs + Ishikawa.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2019, 1:25 pm

https://twitter.com/pcaseysafc/status/1116301742084362240

Interesting forecast for Sunday!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 11 Apr 2019, 1:35 pm

I'm interested to see how Spieth gets on. We all know his form is terrible and last week again after a good start a poor weekend cost him.

However his record here is exemplary and I'm wondering which Jordan will turn up especially as driving accuracy - his biggest weakness - isn't the most required skill at Augusta.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2019, 1:47 pm

Two bogeys in the opening threesome - just as the Hooties would wish.
Corey Conners in the lead!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 11 Apr 2019, 1:52 pm

sirbenson wrote:https://twitter.com/pcaseysafc/status/1116301742084362240

Interesting forecast for Sunday!

Can't be bothered with a Monday finish, having to sneak watch it in work.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2019, 2:11 pm

The new shot tracker for the Masters is insanely good and showing every shot of every player is pretty cool!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 11 Apr 2019, 2:23 pm

sirbenson wrote:The new shot tracker for the Masters is insanely good and showing every shot of every player is pretty cool!

It is, but I still hate the outdated TV coverage Sad

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 11 Apr 2019, 2:44 pm

Kind of surprised he didn't reach out to Mac or I. Actually, my feelings are hurt.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/sports/sergio-caddie.html

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:14 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Its The Masters Baby!!!

Its been a long winter!!!

Thanks Kwini, Enjoy everyone! Cummon Rory!!!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:19 pm

How do you really feel????!!!!

The Hooties lengthened the 5th hole by about 40 yards for this week's action, and the extra length is taking its toll - approx 50% of the field is bogeying it this morning, no birdies.
South Africa leading the way early.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:21 pm

Poor Angel angel

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

AlciG wrote:
sirbenson wrote:The new shot tracker for the Masters is insanely good and showing every shot of every player is pretty cool!

Is there no featured groups or Amen corner coverage this year? Or am just not looking in the right place?

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:55 pm

Poor Woosie Wales picard

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Apr 2019, 5:28 pm

wiretapper wrote:
AlciG wrote:

Is there no featured groups or Amen corner coverage this year? Or am just not looking in the right place?
Watching Amen Corner on Red button. Also available is holes 16-18. Featured groups and course guide.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 11 Apr 2019, 5:59 pm

Has anyone complained about the tv coverage yet?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 11 Apr 2019, 6:00 pm

Got it thanks

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 11 Apr 2019, 6:22 pm

beninho wrote:Has anyone complained about the tv coverage yet?
I am watching clips on the track feature of The Masters app in work, so no complaints YET PGA Tour: He Who Beats Justin Rose Wins The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher 1347041234

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 11 Apr 2019, 8:23 pm

Was that MAJ caddying for Stenson?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 11 Apr 2019, 9:03 pm

Butch Harmon is back on Sky. God, he is awful. Thought he'd knocked it on the head.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Apr 2019, 9:03 pm

Didn’t I read that Fanny was back on Stensons bag?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 11 Apr 2019, 9:25 pm

At this time, 65 players are beating Justin Rose

Shane Lowry is not one of them. certainly taking advantage of his 11th hour Augusta Invitation Doh

Score differential looks like it might be 13 shots from 1st to DFL in Round 1.

I live about 600 mile WNW of Augusta Ga and Augusta's weather tends to lag my weather by about 24 hours.

If that holds true, Augusta is in for some heavy winds tomorrow. It is blowing about
25 mph constant here, with gusts up to 35 mph.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2019, 9:51 pm

Rose and Casey not following the script - Casey was +5 after 5 holes; plenty of time to get some back but he and Rose need to stop digging.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:23 pm

Everything seems to have ground to a halt. Big wait on 15, I assume that’s due to Bryson and Day. And another on 18, not sure which slowcoach has caused that.
Koepka the latest person to make Brandel Chamblee look daft, after Chamblee accused him of “self-sabotage” for losing a couple of stone. Pretty sure that everyone also said he was stupid for being in overly-athletic shape last year, so the guy can’t win. As long as he can walk 18 holes and swing a club he’s surely fine, although no doubt super would argue that Aphibarnrat would be -8 if he lost some fat.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:26 am

Langer & Weir beat Rory and Justin Thomas today

Langer & Weir & Lyle beat Justin Rose and Speith today

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:28 am

61 year old Langer dusted last month’s PGA tour winner Paul Casey by 10 shots....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:39 am

The afternoon guys (Casey excepted) scored quite a bit lower than the morning wave. Any idea why? Ball running and short irons into drying greens (an Underwood-like sticky wicket?)??

Unusual for the top Americans to come out guns blazing; seems to me the Europeans often do that, only to fade. Hope the tide turns.

Top 50 and ties, plus anyone within 10 strokes of the leader, make the cut - that could be 60% or more of the field. Can't see all the leaders coming back to the field so anyone over par after 36 holes will need a miracle.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Apr 2019, 1:16 am

I hope the tide stays out for these Yanks. Koepka looking plenty comfortable out there.

Casey on life support.

Rose and Spieth probably need 67's to get back in.

Do NOT count Rory out.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 2:20 am

Spieth and Rose were also in the afternoon and they stunk up the joint.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Apr 2019, 7:52 am

GPB wrote:Spieth and Rose were also in the afternoon and they stunk up the joint.

Spieth should trust science instead Run

Lowry also showing what a joke he's become.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:05 pm

For those unable to read.

McLaren wrote:
But it it easy to see why you would avoid making Masters predictions given the slightly quirky winners it throws up.  Sergio, Willett, Charl, Cabrera, Trevor, Weir in the last decade have won having not really been major contenders before and after their wins (in some cases form at the time and not career achievements before someone piles in). .

picard
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:07 pm

Keopka can sabotage my body anytime. Shocked

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 1:32 pm

How far has this dude crawled up J-Day behind?

"...Being a good father is costly...."

Read the replies to the tweet

https://twitter.com/EvinPriest/status/1116482597482303494

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next