The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March

+9
tigertattie
demosthenes
George Carlin
Dollar Bill
Eejit
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
EST
BigGee
13 posters

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March Empty Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Mar 2019, 1:58 am

Glasgow Warriors v Toyota Cheetahs
Scotstoun Stadium
Glasgow

Saturday 23rd March
KO 19.45

Live on Premier Sport

Well it is back to the day job of the league after the excitment of the final weekend of the 6N and for Glasgow that means the Cheetahs are coming to town.

Despite the fact that a lot of our internationalist will be getting a well deserved week off, we certainly need to be taking this game seriously as we need the points. Munster have got Zebre at home and will likely be taking 5 points from that one and we need to match that to keep the pressure on them, with their easier run in and hope that they trip up in Treviso the weekend that we go to Dublin.

There is as well the small matter of the Euro quarter final coming up at Sarries, though I think the team we have out this week, will be very different to next, once we factor in the returning internationals.

So who might we see this week?

Hoggy was spotted running around Scotstoun yesterday on Warriors publicity shots, with a new all blond hair style! Not so sure about the hair, but good to see him back on the pitch. Gibbins has been back in training for a few weeks now and hopefully we might see him make his competitive comeback as well. The other injured player it would be good to see back is George Horne, whoes shoulder problem has kept him out for the whole of the 6N, where otherwise he might have gotten a few more caps.

So, here is my crack at the team:

1. Kebble
2. Turner
3. Fagerson Z
4. Cummings
5. Harley
6. Ashe
7. Gibbins
8. Fagerson M
9. Horne G - Frisbee if not fit
10. Hastings - needs to get back in the 10 grove prior to Sarries
11. Steyn - seems to have made a splash since arriving
12. Horne P
13. McDowell - good to see what he can do at 13, am assuming Jones still injured
14. Niko
15. Hoggy - Jacko if not fit

Subs

Allen
Stewart
Nuke
Swinson
Fusaro
Frisbee
Hughes
Nairn

If George Horne is not fit, then you would imagine that Niko will provide SH cover.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March

Post by EST Thu 21 Mar 2019, 9:43 am

Sounds like G.Horne and Hoggy wont't be playing this game, but that Gibbins is fit.

I like your team BigGee, but would probably have Lord Stafford at 12 with Steyn at 13, that is a very meaty centre pairing, with some nice complimentary skills.

EST

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 21 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm

I like the team picked by BG, modified by EST. Nairn can go into the vacated left wing spot and P Horne moves to the bench. I am not sure one good game against Cheetahs at home will get McDowell the call against Sarries. Grigg has been okay at six nations level and has the partnership with Johnson. Increasingly P Horne is looking like a bench option rather than a starter and that is a great sign of how the younger players are developing.

I think we will see Swinson start, rightly or wrongly, and Harley should be the one to go on the bench as a lock/BR cover. Cummings should get an hour to show that he is the right lock to start with J Gray against Sarries especially as Sarries may put out a Skelton/Kruis pairing.

Gibbins is the only other question mark. Is he fit enough to go an hour? He would be a massive boost for next week.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Mar 2019, 1:15 pm

Grigg looked like he got I hired against England, did his ankle I think, so may not play the Sarries game in any case.

DR may want to try out the likely Sarries combo this weekend

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 21 Mar 2019, 1:33 pm

Given what DR has said about training this week; Hogg is deffo out, Sam that try Johnson also.

1. Allan Kebble
2. Turner Brown
3. Rae Ragnar
4. Cummings
5. Harley Swinson
6. Ashe
7. Gibbins Fozzie
8. Fagerson M
9. Frisbee Aldi Price
10. Hastings Furra Linee
11. Nairn
12. Lord Stafford
13. Seaman
14. Niko
15. Jacko Rozza

We're looking at; Hogg, Wee George, Ickle Jonny and That Try to be back for the Sarries match. Grigg did look as if he'd turned his ankle but may well be fit.

Does anyone know of a decent sports bar in Bath? Also a cheapish divorce lawyer? Herself may not react well to a weekend away "but let's just nip in here for a long lunch.Oh! Oh my. Is that Glasgow on the telly?"

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 21 Mar 2019, 1:35 pm

jimbopip wrote:
2. Turner Brown

Turner Brown sounds like a jazz fusion musician.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 21 Mar 2019, 2:01 pm

Frisbee Turner Brown, sounds like a cool dude and a mean saxophonist. Cool

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 21 Mar 2019, 2:45 pm

Frisbee, Turner, McDowall and Brown sounds like the kind of parasitic, soulless law firm that IanBru will run in a few years time.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm

https://twitter.com/theoffsideline/status/1108852679298768905

Robbie Nairn getting the press treatment this week, suggesting he might be playing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dollar Bill Fri 22 Mar 2019, 7:32 am

Jimbo,

The Pig and Fiddle in Bath ( ironically on Saracen Street) is the place to go....

Dollar Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 22 Mar 2019, 8:18 am

Thank you Mr Bill Hug

I shall check it out. If it's near the Royal Hotel and we just happen to be passing ...you never know what might happen. Probably end in tears.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 22 Mar 2019, 10:06 am

Eejit wrote:Frisbee, Turner, McDowall and Brown sounds like the kind of parasitic, soulless law firm that IanBru will run in a few years time.
clap

Or a firm that the Marx Brothers just invented.

You're welcome, Jim and other posters over 40.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 22 Mar 2019, 12:46 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to play Toyota Cheetahs in the Guinness PRO14, Scotstoun Stadium, Saturday 23 March, kick-off 7.45pm, live on Premier Sports 1. You can follow the game on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:
1. Oli Kebble (27)
2. Fraser Brown (83)
3. Zander Fagerson (74)
4. Tim Swinson (125)
5. Scott Cummings (52)
6. Rob Harley (205)
7. Callum Gibbins (C) (30)
8. Matt Fagerson (41)

9. Nick Frisby (12)
10. Pete Horne (152)
11. Rory Hughes (43)
12. Stafford McDowall (11)
13. Kyle Steyn (3)
14. Niko Matawalu (110)
15. Ruaridh Jackson (150)

Replacements

16. Grant Stewart (19)
17. Jamie Bhatti (40)
18. Siua Halanukonuka (27)
19. Bruce Flockhart (2)
20. Chris Fusaro (160)
21. Adam Hastings (25)
22. Paddy Kelly (5)
23. Robbie Nairn (6)

Not available due to injury: Kevin Bryce (knee), Nick Grigg (ankle), Stuart Hogg (shoulder), George Horne (shoulder), Huw Jones (knee), Lee Jones (knee), Lelia Masaga (back), Kiran McDonald (back), Matt Smith (shoulder), George Turner (head), DTH van der Merwe (shoulder) and Ryan Wilson (knee).

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:05 pm

It almost looks as if Horne and Hastings are playing off for the FH spot next weekend.

Good to see Nairn, Kelly and Flockhart in the squad as well. All have done well with the chances they have had and are deserving of another opportunity to prove themselves.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:17 pm

Dear Glasgow, please don't ruin Hastings' confidence playing for the club again.

One way not to do this is to stop playing Pete Horne at 10 ahead of the boy.

PS, your backrow is poo!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 22 Mar 2019, 5:04 pm

Staffordsteyn sounds potentially tasty.

Should be interesting!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 23 Mar 2019, 7:54 pm

Watching this from my sickbed. Nice turnover Brown to snuff out their attack earlier.

Cully with a well taken try there.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 23 Mar 2019, 7:57 pm

Glasgow look switched on here. There could be tries this game.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 23 Mar 2019, 8:07 pm

Seaman Steyn with two enormous carries straight through the middle, what a try.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 23 Mar 2019, 8:32 pm

I realise I’m now just talking to myself but I blame the painkillers. Stafford McDowall with a cheeky grubber kick. Is there nothing he can’t do!?

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 23 Mar 2019, 8:53 pm

Lovely score.

Cheetahs and Kings are going to shred Dragons, after watching all three today.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 23 Mar 2019, 9:01 pm

Cheetahs winger Rabz Maxwane getting called Rab MacSwanney all through this game is endlessly entertaining.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 23 Mar 2019, 9:03 pm

Stafford McDowall is the best player ever to play the game of rugby union.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Mar 2019, 9:28 pm

No. He is the player. No team sports are worthy for Stafford is the team.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 23 Mar 2019, 9:54 pm

Thought Hastings played himself out of starting next week. He was gash when he came on. Problem is, Horne injured himself. Thompson might get his chance.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Mar 2019, 11:46 pm

Just watched the game when I got in from work, another 5 points in a decent hit out for Glasgow after a break, probably ideal preparation for next weekend.

Typical Glasgow game really, some brilliance mixed up with some sloppy stuff.

I thought Cummings played well and could have been my MoM, but there were a few decent performances in the pack, Culley and Fagerson M in particular.

McDowell and Steyn looked a pretty potent combo in the centre, Steyn has been some find, I don't think anyone expected him to have that kind of impact. With Grigg injured, he may well start next weekend. I expect Johnson to come back in at 12 and McDowell probably to bench.

Hastings was trying to be a bit fancy, but the game was won by the time he had come on, so hard to be to critical. Horne hobbled off, so he is likely to start next weekend, I think that was always likely in any case!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 24 Mar 2019, 8:48 am

Did we show signs of being tight enough all round to close out our last 3 games with wins?

A home semi is presumably the least that's acceptable?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 24 Mar 2019, 8:57 am

Eejit, get well soon. Hug But the talking to yourself is probably permanent, mind.

Gee, you make a good case for Haircut; he'll probably start next week with Thompson on the bench. The thing about Furra Linee is that for large parts of the match he actually looked like a 10,(possibly a decent club 10- not an international 10) but he looks more comfortable being a 12. Unlike VDW on Friday who looked like a big strong 12 with no real concept of how to manage a game.

70's Burt Reynold wannabee reminde me of Frodo the way he "marshalled " the back of the ruck. picard

I thought Cheetahs were exactly as DR had predicted; a huge pack and lightning rapid back 3. Especially McSwally! Actually almost a perfect rehearsal for Sarries albeit about seven levels below them. Unless, of course, you are Ruaridh Jackson who was left exposed by their pace on a few occasions.

For next week; same front row, Ickle Jonny in Swinson to bench, Ashe to replace BBB, Aldi Price and Wee George sharing the 9 duties.

That Try Johnson at 12. Seaman at 13 The Lord benching.

Hoggy, and his Barnet, at 15.

5:3 split on the bench; Rae-Turne-Allan, Swinso,BBB, Wee George, Thompson, Lord, Glasgow Warriors v Cheetahs Saturday 23rd March 1347041234

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 24 Mar 2019, 9:00 am

George Carlin wrote:Did we show signs of being tight enough all round to close out our last 3 games with wins?

A home semi is presumably the least that's acceptable?

Ulster at home? Should win.

Ladyboys away?? Depends on whether they play their reserves a la Friday night.

Luvvies picard

p.s. GC I now have Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster on speed dial in case I find myself unable to resist "accidently" stumbling into a sports bar for lunch next Saturday.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 24 Mar 2019, 9:17 am

You Glasgow fans are getting a top class lock in young Andrew Davidson . He was outstanding yesterday and is just a young lad.

What a player he could become.

Gutted hes away

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 9:28 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:You Glasgow fans are getting a top class lock in young Andrew Davidson . He was outstanding yesterday and is just a young lad.

Gutted hes away  

Thanks to you guys down in the Toon for knocking him into shape for us, we will always be grateful.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 24 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:You Glasgow fans are getting a top class lock in young Andrew Davidson . He was outstanding yesterday and is just a young lad.

Gutted hes away  

Watched the game, 22 tackles according to ESPN after. Did not see if he got MOTM but he was definitely in the running. Hardie and Graham were tackling well

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 4:21 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:

Gutted hes away  

Watched the game, 22 tackles according to ESPN after. Did not see if he got MOTM but he was definitely in the running. Hardie and Graham were tackling well

Sinoti got MoM, which it is hard t argue with for that fantastic run with the side steps

It was a cracking game and all the SQ players did well, Harris as well as those already mentioned.

There is hope for Newcastle yet and they are certainly not going down without a fight.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down