The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
tigertattie
kingraf
TM Moot
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Forward Pass
Pr4wn
Number-25
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
skins4ever
gazzyD
twelve283
GSC
21 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 15 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I mean are we even sure Gordon isn't a one year wonder who never stuck around for his drop off season.

A lot of hype for a guy who's had more near comebacks than games played in years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 15 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue 03 May 2022, 1:10 pm

AJ Frak Brown
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 15 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by JDizzle Tue 03 May 2022, 2:02 pm

The one draft I didn’t really rate as much as the consensus opinion was the Ravens. Obviously I have no idea, but drafting a Centre and a slow safety in the first round doesn’t seem to be the trending towards the way the modern NFL is played.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 04 May 2022, 8:28 am

JDizzle wrote:The one draft I didn’t really rate as much as the consensus opinion was the Ravens. Obviously I have no idea, but drafting a Centre and a slow safety in the first round doesn’t seem to be the trending towards the way the modern NFL is played.

They got supposed "value" but I do tend to agree, seemed to take non-premium positions, and also Ojabo basically won't play this year.
All whilst their current second best WR is Devin Duvernay.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Sep 2022, 9:10 am

Well, week 1 pretty much in the books, and first impressions:
Rumours of KC's decline appear to be grossly overstated
The Bills look the real deal
Bengals found a way to fail to win, while the Giants, surprisingly did find a way after being second best to the Titans in the first half.
Packers underwhelming, with Rogers throwing an interception against a divisional rival for the first time in something like 350 pass attempts.
Bucs appear a very solid unit both sides of the ball..

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 12 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

We are very very bad - turns out Matt Patricia and Joe Judge might not know how to run a competent offence. Who knew?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 12 Sep 2022, 6:18 pm

The way the Patriots are being run right now really is baffling.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 20 Sep 2022, 3:53 pm

Week two done
Bills looked mightily impressive again against the Titans
Bengals looking to be suffering the post Superbowl losers curse, with a second close defeat.
Colts looking woeful - a tie with the Texans followed by a shut-out defeat by Jacksonville.

Undefeated so far (after 2 games):
Dolphins, Bills (who play each other next), Kansas, Eagles, Giants (2-0 winning by 3 and 1 points), Tampa.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 20 Sep 2022, 9:45 pm

Bills Dolphins could be a tight defensive game I reckon... said nobody

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 20 Sep 2022, 10:54 pm

The Bills look ominous. Tampa is somehow 2-0 without an offense.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 26 Sep 2022, 10:28 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:Bills Dolphins could be a tight defensive game I reckon... said nobody

And oddly, that's pretty much what it turned into - Bills dominated time of possession but Miami held them to 2 tds including a 4th quarter goal line stand following 1st and Goal at the 1.

Wonder what odds you'd have got pre-season that after 3 weeks the only unbeaten teams would be the Dolphins, Eagles and Giants (prior to MNF), and that the Raiders would be the only 0-3 team.

Quick shout out to Jacksonville and Trevor Lawrence - actually have a winning record for the season to date. Shows what a difference having a competent coach can make

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2022, 9:37 am

The Russell Wilson contract might go down as the worst of all time. He looks irreparably broken
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 07 Oct 2022, 9:56 am

Hadn't been good for 2 years prior. Let Russ cook was an abject failure.
GSC
GSC

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 07 Oct 2022, 11:04 am

An aside - my daughter and a group from her school are attending an introduction to the NFL session being run by the NY Giants in advance of their game in London this weekend.

Very impressive outreach, and something I've always felt that professional football and in particular the Premiership don't do anywhere near enough

dummy_half

wadey101 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 07 Oct 2022, 8:33 pm

Nice to hear... I've stopped paying as much attention to what the do "around" the UK games anymore as a consequence of them becoming more normal

That being said... very happy the waiting is finally over and I get to watch a Packers game this weekend for the first time!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 10 Oct 2022, 5:54 pm

Carolina have apparently decided they should have fired Rhule last year.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Oct 2022, 8:32 am

Lowlandbrit wrote:Carolina have apparently decided they should have fired Rhule last year.

Crazy they didn't really considering he was basically told he needs to hire a new "rockstar" OC, and ended up with freaking Ben McAdoo.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 12 Oct 2022, 11:27 am

dummy_half wrote:An aside - my daughter and a group from her school are attending an introduction to the NFL session being run by the NY Giants in advance of their game in London this weekend.

Very impressive outreach, and something I've always felt that professional football and in particular the Premiership don't do anywhere near enough

And just to update, was apparently the best school day ever according to several of the kids. Unfortunately, my daughter isn't clearly visible on the photos posted on the Giants website, although several of her friends are. She did though get to try on one of the coach's Superbowl ring.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 07 Nov 2022, 6:44 pm

Really interesting move by the Colts, who have fired Reich and put Jeff Saturday in charge. Seems like a pretty big loophole if you can just bring in anyone as an interim HC.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 07 Nov 2022, 7:24 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Really interesting move by the Colts, who have fired Reich and put Jeff Saturday in charge. Seems like a pretty big loophole if you can just bring in anyone as an interim HC.

I assume you mean the whole, not having to interview anyone loophole?

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Nov 2022, 8:13 am

Irsay is off his nut since that loss to the Jags to end last season - it's fantastic entertainment
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 08 Nov 2022, 8:18 am

He is generally but this is whatever to me.

You're firing the coach then the season is over anyway and you can't hire anyone in a job until after the season. Probably be a disaster but who cares at this point
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 08 Nov 2022, 2:10 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
Lowlandbrit wrote:Really interesting move by the Colts, who have fired Reich and put Jeff Saturday in charge. Seems like a pretty big loophole if you can just bring in anyone as an interim HC.
I assume you mean the whole, not having to interview anyone loophole?
Yes, I suppose it hasn't stopped teams before (Gruden), and he might just be a pure stopgap until they can start interviewing, but making someone that wasn't on the coaching staff the interim HC does raise the question about what the definition or limits of an interim hire are. I'd assume Saturday is still liked there, but I can't imagine the other coaches are too happy about being passed over.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 13 Nov 2022, 10:08 pm

Don't quite know how to explain that Bills/Vikes game. Unbelievable
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 14 Nov 2022, 4:23 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Don't quite know how to explain that Bills/Vikes game. Unbelievable

Not sure what was the dumber play call - Minnesota trying for the QB sneak TD on 4th down, or the Bills doing the same to get out of their end zone the next play resulting in the fumble. Could have let Allen roll out and either make a shortish pass or even take the safety and get the free kick down field. Still a fantastic drive by the Bills to get the tying score with so little time on the clock, but you've got to question the VIkings defence there, they only needed to make one tackle in the field of play to run the clock out (oh, and for the officials to see that one of the Bills sideline receptions wasn't caught cleanly).

Anyway, as a Phins fan, I'm quite happy with how the season is going. Wonder what odds you'd have got from the bookies that half way through the season you'd have Philadelphia unbeaten, the Vikings at 8-1 and both NY teams comfortably above .500. Oh, and he Rams as defending SB champs at 3-6.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 01 Jan 2023, 3:38 pm

Hadn't even realised with all the distractions of Christmas that the Broncos fired Hackett. Didn't even get a full season. Have to really love Wilson to apply for that one...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 18 Jan 2023, 11:28 am

So the wildcards are done:
AFC
Buffalo narrowly beat a Dolphins team with no QB
Jacksonville (the big surprise of the second half of the season) with a big comeback to beat the Chargers
Bengals with enough to beat a faltering Baltimore

Divisional round : Jacksonville at Kansas
Cincinnati at Buffalo, in a replay of the abandoned game from the other week.

KC strong favourites to advance. THe other game too close for me to call.

NFC:
Giants beat the very peculiar Vikings*
49ers strong against the Seahawks
Dallas comfortable against Tampa, with Brady not able to find any playoff magic to inspire what has been a fairly insipid team that qualifies out of a very weak division.

Divisional round:
Giants in Philly
Dallas in San Fransisco

Assuming Hurts is fit for the Eagles, they have to be strong favourites, even allowing for my soft spot for the Giants after their invitation to my daughter's school to attend a coaching day when they were playing in London.
49ers seem to be the form team, even with Mr Irrelevant 2022 as their starting QB (who has done a very good job over the last few weeks, helped by the rest of the team being insanely strong), so must be favoured over the Cowboys

*13-4 regular season record, but the worst pass defense in the NFL and a points difference of -3 over the season despite the strongly winning record. Edged so many close games through the regular season.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 19 Jan 2023, 1:38 pm

The 49ers trading for McCaffrey really kicked them in to another gear, they're looking scary.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 01 Feb 2023, 3:20 pm

Eagles and Chiefs probably the two best overall teams this season, so can't really complain.

Tom Brady is giving retirement another chance.

New coaches so far:
Sean Payton to Broncos
Frank Reich to Panthers
DeMeco Ryans to Texans

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 13 Feb 2023, 4:58 am

Well that was one for the ages. Cracking game.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 13 Feb 2023, 9:47 am

Glad Mahomes got his second title to cut off any narratives starting. Lot of competition in the AFC, but they're the team to beat. Eagles fans presumably happy that Hurts looks like the guy, and there aren't many NFC teams that have that right now, but I'm not entirely sold on them being the team to beat going forward for some reason.

Lowlandbrit

BamBam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 13 Feb 2023, 12:15 pm

Yeah, really good game overall and I am happy the Chiefs won... although in a way I felt the Eagles probably edged it overall on balance, but were done over by the fumble and, perhaps, by the holding call that prevented them getting a shot to win it post the inevitable KC field goal that would have followed in 3rd down incomplete.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 15 Feb 2023, 4:45 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:New coaches so far:
Sean Payton to Broncos
Frank Reich to Panthers
DeMeco Ryans to Texans
Last two slots went to the Eagles coordinators;
OC Shane Steichen to Colts
DC Jonathan Gannon to Cardinals

Eric Bieniemy must have gone to the Mike Zimmer school of interviewing, apparently could go to Washington as OC for some reason now.

Raiders have released Carr.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 15 Mar 2023, 6:31 pm

Rodgers going for the Favre plan of trying to move to the Jets... next question is will he end up in Minnesota next year to complete the cycle!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 15 Mar 2023, 8:11 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:Rodgers going for the Favre plan of trying to move to the Jets... next question is will he end up in Minnesota next year to complete the cycle!
Rodgers' looks like he's done and I think the Jets are about to find that out...but I suppose anything is better than Zach Wilson???

Speaking of players who are almost done the Cowboys just released Ezekiel Elliott...some team might get another couple of serviceable years out of him??? Doesn't feel that long ago he was the next big thing...

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Fri 28 Apr 2023, 2:04 pm

Super happy with the Patriots 1st round pick, this is the best I've felt about what we've done in round one since 2012...

twelve283

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sat 29 Apr 2023, 2:29 pm

Day two of the 2023 draft in the books...

I like the potential in Keion White but we were so close to Brian Branch who, if still on the board, would have been my pick. (I think the Lions believed we would have selected Branch hence the trade up)

From a fantasy perspective we've got a better idea what the NFL thinks about the position groups...

It's a better group of QB's this year with three going early compared to only Kenny Pickett @ 20 in 2022.

Looks like TE is thought to be the strongest group...I like all of the first four taken for different reasons.

RB looks like a top three then I'm not sure...it might be a poor class after that or it might just be decline in positional value???

Bad group of receivers...first only off the board @ 20 and only 8 in the top 2 rounds Crying or Very sad

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 02 May 2023, 11:28 am

Happy with NE's draft, seemed fairly meat and potatoes

Not sure what Detroit are doing

Richardson to the Colts will end up the best QB/team match from this one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 02 May 2023, 11:28 am

Happy with NE's draft, seemed fairly meat and potatoes

Not sure what Detroit are doing

Richardson to the Colts will end up the best QB/team match from this one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 02 May 2023, 12:05 pm

I liked Detroit’s Day 2 - drafting LaPorta and Branch, and taking a swing on Hooker in Round 3 - so much more than Day 1, which nearly made the Texans looks competent. An off ball LB and a RB when your QB is Jared Goff.

The Texans giving up what they did for Will Anderson was horrific too. He might be really good, but there will probably be a really good pass rusher in the top 5 next year and you’ll probably be picking there again!

Arizona will be really bad this year. But two very high picks next year, plus whatever they would get for trading Kyler if they want to go QB. They could retool fast.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 02 May 2023, 12:39 pm

JDizzle wrote:I liked Detroit’s Day 2 - drafting LaPorta and Branch, and taking a swing on Hooker in Round 3 - so much more than Day 1, which nearly made the Texans looks competent. An off ball LB and a RB when your QB is Jared Goff.
I wanted Branch for New England...LaPorta lacks prototypical size for the position so it's a difficult projection but I like the athleticism after the catch and that he comes from "Tight End U".

JDizzle wrote:The Texans giving up what they did for Will Anderson was horrific too. He might be really good, but there will probably be a really good pass rusher in the top 5 next year and you’ll probably be picking there again!
Would you feel the same if they selected Anderson @ 2 and traded back up for their guy at QB? Caserio doesn't have unlimited time and he needs solid players and leaders...think I read most of the Texans picks were team captains.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 May 2023, 12:47 pm

There is no non qb draft prospect is worth that haul.

Either they shouldn't be giving that up for a non qb or if they thought Will Anderson was worth taking over CJ Stroud then they shouldn't have CJ Stroud early.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 02 May 2023, 1:34 pm

GSC wrote:There is no non qb draft prospect is worth that haul.
Maybe not. I agree they gave up a lot (too much) but Caserio's clock is ticking. I don't know what the Texans board looked like, maybe it was Anderson or nothing?

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 02 May 2023, 1:45 pm

Either they shouldn't be giving that up for a non qb or if they thought Will Anderson was worth taking over CJ Stroud then they shouldn't have CJ Stroud early.

At very very worst, if they're giving up a future 1st round pick it should've been the Browns one, and not their own one.
By projected win totals from Vegas, the Cards are now projected to have the #1 and #2 pick in next years draft!

As an overall I agree though - to even begin to justify that amount given up, Anderson is going to need to be a Bosa/Garrett type talent...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 02 May 2023, 2:21 pm

Olly wrote:
JDizzle wrote:The Texans giving up what they did for Will Anderson was horrific too. He might be really good, but there will probably be a really good pass rusher in the top 5 next year and you’ll probably be picking there again!
Would you feel the same if they selected Anderson @ 2 and traded back up for their guy at QB? Caserio doesn't have unlimited time and he needs solid players and leaders...think I read most of the Texans picks were team captains.

If they are taking a QB at 3, then just take the QB at 2. It’d be the same issue if they had traded up for Stroud, just disguised a bit better.

Caserio needing to win now is the issue though, like you say. They might better this year because of it but seems unlikely this is a good decision long term.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 May 2023, 4:29 pm

twelve283 wrote:
Maybe not. I agree they gave up a lot (too much) but Caserio's clock is ticking. I don't know what the Texans board looked like, maybe it was Anderson or nothing?

Two players had been picked, did they only scout 3 players? 😂

Reality is they fell in love with the player and paid whatever it took. Just awful process
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 02 May 2023, 5:25 pm

GSC wrote:
twelve283 wrote:

Two players had been picked, did they only scout 3 players? 😂

Reality is they fell in love with the player and paid whatever it took. Just awful process
Laughing emoji is a bit condescending...especially because you appear to have misunderstood my point (or I didn't explain it well enough).

I don't think we really disagree on much/anything?...the Texans gave up a lot..."they fell in love with the player"...maybe Anderson was the only other player on their board with that grade and they had the option to get him? I agree they paid a lot to go get him...does it look as bad if he's the next elite edge player...i'm not sure it does.

Bad process or not Caserio's comments after the draft tell us he doesn't care about the "trade value chart". He's going to sink or swim on that point.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 12 Sep 2023, 7:43 pm

So much for that Aaron Rodgers driving the New York Jets hype...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Thu 14 Sep 2023, 10:28 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:So much for that Aaron Rodgers driving the New York Jets hype...

4 snaps and 1 throw...

gutted for him, and selfishly disappointed that GB now lose the Jets first round pick next draft

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 16 Oct 2023, 12:56 pm

Well, it's been quiet on here since the first week of the season.

Week 6 all but in the bag, and no unbeaten teams left after surprise reverses for SF and Philly this weekend.

Miami the most exciting team in the league at the moment, with speedsters everywhere to give Tua targets. Not great on the defensive side of the ball though, and the way they are playing means the defence spends quite a lot of time on the field.

WTF is happening at New England? The all time greatest head coach could soon be fired if things don't improve.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Oct 2023, 1:00 pm

dummy_half wrote:Well, it's been quiet on here since the first week of the season.

Week 6 all but in the bag, and no unbeaten teams left after surprise reverses for SF and Philly this weekend.

Miami the most exciting team in the league at the moment, with speedsters everywhere to give Tua targets. Not great on the defensive side of the ball though, and the way they are playing means the defence spends quite a lot of time on the field.

WTF is happening at New England? The all time greatest head coach could soon be fired if things don't improve.

Weird season so far...not sure any of the vaunted AFC teams have panned out yet, albeit it is early. Buffalo have suffered some crushing injuries on defence in particular.

New England...just a shambles. The QB is possibly the worst in the league, the surrounding OL and weapons are also bottom feeder...and we're losing defensive key pieces on a weekly basis. It's going to get worse before it gets better with Buffalo and Miami up next!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next