The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

+30
carpet baboon
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Brendan
NeilyBroon
TJ
Tramptastic
Mad for Chelsea
Anglobraveheart
demosthenes
IanBru
Oakdene
George Carlin
bsando
Eejit
Welly
Hazel Sapling
RugbyFan100
jimbopip
tigertattie
EST
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
BigGee
34 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Oct 2018, 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Something is going on this year

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are playing quite well!

Is it a dream, am I imagining it, am I going to wake up in a cold sweat and find out that we are really cr*p again?

Someone please reassure me!!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by SirBurger Tue 15 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm

Yea Reid has been decent for us, but it has felt like he hasn't fully settled. Glad to read that Dell is an upgrade and the age definitely helps. The profile of our squad has been too old for too long so it is pleasing that we are addressing that.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by IanBru Tue 15 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm

Hey folks, with our teams' collective chances of making the quarters effectively nil (it's Tuesday, so I'm in emotional-damage-limitation mode), who on here is coming down to Newcastle for the finals?

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday nights with She Who Must Not Be Named, and I was thinking of organising a pub on Saturday lunchtime for a meetup of like-minded people.

Of course, if you prefer to maintain the shroud of anonymity, don't let me stop you... Cool
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2019, 1:11 pm

Mr Bru - quite tempted by that offer. Will need to discuss with the boss but will check in nearer the time.

You never know, it could be Edinburgh vs Little Brother....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 15 Jan 2019, 1:50 pm

So Glasgow announce that Callum Gibbins has been taken out of the Euro squad, he clearly has been badly injured, it certainly looked it at the time. Matt Smith comes into the squad in his place.

Nothing about Matt Fagerson though, so maybe his was not as bad as it looked, maybe just a bad stinger rather than serious shoulder damage. Lets hope so for Glasgow and Scotland sake.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 15 Jan 2019, 2:04 pm

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 15 Jan 2019, 4:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Mr Bru - quite tempted by that offer. Will need to discuss with the boss but will check in nearer the time.

You never know, it could be Edinburgh vs Little Brother....
If that happens, I predict a scene an awful lot like the fight in Anchorman.

I'll be Spanish Language News: "Buenos dias, b!tches!"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 Jan 2019, 4:31 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 16 Jan 2019, 1:09 pm

Rugbypass are reporting that Newcastle are going to be losing a number of players. Two of whom are Scottish locks Davidson and Young. Young is apparently on his way to quins with a deal agreed and to be announced shortly. Davidson is apparently on his way back up the road to Glasgow

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/newcastle-falcons-bracing-themselves-for-an-alarming-exodus-of-locks

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Rugbypass are reporting that Newcastle are going to be losing a number of players.  Two of whom are Scottish locks Davidson and Young.  Young is apparently on his way to quins with a deal agreed and to be announced shortly.  Davidson is apparently on his way back up the road to Glasgow

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/newcastle-falcons-bracing-themselves-for-an-alarming-exodus-of-locks

We would be very happy if Davidson did come back up to Scotstoun. We have let two of our squad locks move on this season and Swinson is not getting any younger and seems to have other interests on the go as well, which could take him away from professional rugby. There is also the long term future of Johny Gray to sort out next year as well. Davidson would go a long way to addressing some of those issues.

Its tough on Newcastle though, to be losing so many players that they have brought on. Their position in the league can't be helping them in their negotiations with their players.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jan 2019, 2:21 pm

As I'm such a cool dude, I've thrown together this table, to show the various outcomes for Glasgow and Edinburgh of the Monptellier game on the assumption that Toulouse and Ulster both win and Glasgow lose without a bonus point:

EdinburghMontpellierResult
52Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
51Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
50Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
42Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
41Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
40Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
33Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow out
32Edinburgh possible home QF, Glasgow away QF
25Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
24Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
23Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow out
22Edinburgh possible home QF, Glasgow away QF
15Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
14Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
05Either Edinburgh OR Glasgow to have away QF
04Either Edinburgh OR Glasgow to have away QF
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jan 2019, 2:23 pm

So looking at your fancy table Bru, Edinburgh will guarantee qualification with a point? 0 points and we're relying on other results?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jan 2019, 2:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:So looking at your fancy table Bru, Edinburgh will guarantee qualification with a point? 0 points and we're relying on other results?
That's the shape of it mate. Essentially, with a point (again assuming Glasgow get nada) Edinburgh will be ahead of Glasgow in the second-place rankings and too far ahead of Exeter to be caught.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jan 2019, 2:28 pm

Can we not get tables showing the permutations if Glasgow get 1,2,3,4, or 5 points??

Pull the finger out Bru! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Can we not get tables showing the permutations if Glasgow get 1,2,3,4, or 5 points??

RDW, tonight is one of my rare evenings to myself, yet because of my severely damaged psyche I'm now going to be spending it writing a special Excel sheet showing all 256 potential outcomes of the Edinburgh v Montpellier and Saracens v Glasgow matches. I imagine it'll even have conditional formatting.

What's worse, when I tell She Who Must Not Be Named what I did with my evening, she'll just make jokes about onanism.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:03 pm

Get some Macros on the go as well - might as well do it properly! #Exceljokes

p.s. just Googled onanism - probably shouldn't have done that at work

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:06 pm

IanBru wrote:As I'm such a cool dude, I've thrown together this table, to show the various outcomes for Glasgow and Edinburgh of the Monptellier game on the assumption that Toulouse and Ulster both win and Glasgow lose without a bonus point:

Love the word Bru (commenting here just to keep it all together)

I'm lost again though (easy done)

You've got Edinburgh with a possible home QF with Edinburgh getting 3 and Monty 2 or Edinburgh getting 2 and Monty 2

Given that we're 3 points ahead of Monty at the mo, surely if we get 3 and they get 2 then we'll go 4 points ahead of em so sure we top the group and get the home Q/F?

Or is there some weird and wonderful way of determining who gets a home Q/F if say we get 3 (up to 22 pts) and Munster get 5 (also up to 22) in thier group???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Get some Macros on the go as well - might as well do it properly! #Exceljokes

That reminds me of the firm I worked at in Glasgow, where I was chatting with a partner in his office, and wanted to show me the networking page for a rival firm. Alas, he accidentally typed in 'kinkedin.com'. I ended up having to confirm to HR that it was all a legitimate mistake, and that we weren't trawling the local listings looking for John Barclay's Chamber of Pain.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:22 pm

IanBru wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Get some Macros on the go as well - might as well do it properly! #Exceljokes

That reminds me of the firm I worked at in Glasgow, where I was chatting with a partner in his office, and wanted to show me the networking page for a rival firm. Alas, he accidentally typed in 'kinkedin.com'. I ended up having to confirm to HR that it was all a legitimate mistake, and that we weren't trawling the local listings looking for John Barclay's Chamber of Pain.

There really is an actual website for Pen Island these days, some marketing genious right there

How I found this out is another story.....................

................Jimbo told me
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:36 pm

tigertattie wrote:You've got Edinburgh with a possible home QF with Edinburgh getting 3 and Monty 2 or Edinburgh getting 2 and Monty 2

Given that we're 3 points ahead of Monty at the mo, surely if we get 3 and they get 2 then we'll go 4 points ahead of em so sure we top the group and get the home Q/F?

Or is there some weird and wonderful way of determining who gets a home Q/F if say we get 3 (up to 22 pts) and Munster get 5 (also up to 22) in thier group???
You've actually nailed it already bud. The reason it's a possible quarter final is that it depends on how Munster do against Exeter. If Edinburgh get 3 points they'll top the group, leaving them on 22 points. If Munster gets a bonus point win, they'll be on 22 points as well, with a better points difference, ranking them 4th of the group winners and giving them a home quarter final. Anything less than that from Munster will result in them ranking 5th behind Edinburgh and the MFLs getting the home quarter final.

Of course, that logic actually applies to Edinburgh getting 2 points as well, so I'll need to update the table.

Quick question: does anyone have any gin?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:42 pm

IanBru wrote:As I'm such a cool dude, I've thrown together this table, to show the various outcomes for Glasgow and Edinburgh of the Monptellier game on the assumption that Toulouse and Ulster both win and Glasgow lose without a bonus point:

That's 3 chargeable hours gone for the day.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Jan 2019, 4:45 pm

IanBru wrote:

Friend of mine presented a final report on an acquisition to the CEO of a major bank who read the conclusion and asked him in what respect his company's position was unusual.

He looked at what he'd written. An 'a' instead of an 'o'.
My mate wrote:The bank's position is manifestly much stranger than it was last month.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 16 Jan 2019, 5:02 pm

I was feeling a bit down so the Doc suggested I went to see an expert to talk it over.

I legged it as soon as I got there as the sign said the guy was Psycho The r***ist!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 16 Jan 2019, 5:32 pm

I used to think I was a dog, but I'm alright noooooooooooooow.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 16 Jan 2019, 7:24 pm

tigertattie wrote:
IanBru wrote:

There really is an actual website for Pen Island these days, some marketing genious right there

I think you'll find it was Winkle Crag I was referring to.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 16 Jan 2019, 8:22 pm

Am I being a bit slow tonight, how can you get 3 points?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jan 2019, 8:24 pm

Draw with 4 tries

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 16 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

It's been a long day. Doh

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 16 Jan 2019, 8:48 pm

Off topic, but an important one. If you can name a better biscuit than Fox’s I’ll call you a liar and a charlatan. Best biscuits in Britain I say.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 16 Jan 2019, 9:36 pm

Lies. Chocolate hobnob or the caramel rocky or the tunnoch’s caramel log or the snowball

Basically the fox is wayyyyyyy down the list
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:04 pm

A snowball!?!? You’re just having a laugh now.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:10 pm

It may not be a popular opinion but a bourbon or fig biscuit rule all others

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 17 Jan 2019, 9:08 am

carpet baboon wrote:It may not be a popular opinion but a bourbon or fig biscuit rule all others

You're right in one part of this...it's not a popular opinion. Very Happy

Chocolate hobnob rules them all, TigerTattie with you all the way on that one

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Jan 2019, 9:20 am

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
IanBru wrote:

I think you'll find it was Winkle Crag I was referring to.

Now, I posted this as an oblique reference to Emily Bronte's classic gothic romance and Winkle Crag is where they would escape to. Interesting censorship.

However this caught my eye this morning; Elina Svitolina was questioned by the press after her match in the Aussie Open , not about tennis but about Gael Monfils,

Following her victory, Svitolina was asked on court about French male player Monfils, who was spotted in her box.

Well, you would ask about that if you saw it, wouldn't you?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 17 Jan 2019, 9:39 am

To be fair, it is news worthy as she must have a really big box to fit a fully grown tennis player in there!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:32 am

IanBru wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Can we not get tables showing the permutations if Glasgow get 1,2,3,4, or 5 points??

RDW, tonight is one of my rare evenings to myself, yet because of my severely damaged psyche I'm now going to be spending it writing a special Excel sheet showing all 256 potential outcomes of the Edinburgh v Montpellier and Saracens v Glasgow matches. I imagine it'll even have conditional formatting.

What's worse, when I tell She Who Must Not Be Named what I did with my evening, she'll just make jokes about onanism.
I struggled with this one last night, but the sticking point was that you're effectively dealing with two tables - pool winners and runners up - from which teams are added or removed depending on results. That massively complicates things from an Excel point of view!

I'll work out the potential outcomes this lunchtime for what happens if Glasgow beat Saracens without a bonus point, but not by enough to overtake them in the pool.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:34 am

Now I mean this in as nice a way as possible - have you not got anything better to do??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:38 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:It may not be a popular opinion but a bourbon or fig biscuit rule all others

You're right in one part of this...it's not a popular opinion. Very Happy

Chocolate hobnob rules them all, TigerTattie with you all the way on that one

I like a hobnob, but some of you have clearly never had some alone time with a pack of these bad boys.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 11 IDShot_540x540

You can have a hobnob or two and then go about your business, but you have to have an iron will to have just one Fox's Viennese.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:51 am

I do wonder if we are all too nice on here.

Over on the pro14 slagging thread (I have no idea what the hell it started off meant to be about) they are calling each other names and accusing each other of being liars and how everything is terrible and it's all X nations fault.

Over here we are discussing the merits of different types of biscuit.

EDIT - Eejit:  I've never had a fox's Viennese, but feel obliged to give them a go.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:53 am

EWT Spoons wrote:I do wonder if we are all too nice on here.

Over on the pro14 slagging thread (I have no idea what the hell it started off meant to be about) they are calling each other names and accusing each other of being liars and how everything is terrible and it's all X nations fault.

True, but its also clearly Glasgow's fault furious

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:56 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:I do wonder if we are all too nice on here.

True, but its also clearly Glasgow's fault furious
Edinburgh biscuits all have meringue in them and come in a pastel coloured tin from Harvey Nics. laughing

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

Glasgow biscuits look solid and robust but fall apart when faced with a stronger than average brew.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow biscuits look solid and robust but fall apart when faced with a stronger than average brew.

Touché.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:09 pm

After the Scotland -Boks match; Bru , Bazza and myself were back in the Airbnb about midnight finishing the evening off with chat over a pot of tea and a selection of biscuits from the late night Tescos on Leith Walk. We all agreed never to mention how we ended a wild night on the town because you hell-raisers would slaughter us Laugh Little did we know we were trendsetters.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:56 pm

IanBru wrote:
IanBru wrote:

I struggled with this one last night, but the sticking point was that you're effectively dealing with two tables - pool winners and runners up - from which teams are added or removed depending on results. That massively complicates things from an Excel point of view!

I'll work out the potential outcomes this lunchtime for what happens if Glasgow beat Saracens without a bonus point, but not by enough to overtake them in the pool.

Someone I think has beaten you to this IanBru. I can't share it as it's on twitter and I can't access it but it's full of traffic lights and all manner of permutations.

If anyone's interested it's posted by a lad called Kevin Millar and retweeted by EdinBru Rugby

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:59 pm

https://twitter.com/topofthemoonGW/status/1086207248643354624?s=19

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 11 DxL7u07WwAEHd4n

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 18 Jan 2019, 1:01 pm

That's the one. Cheers RDW. Not sure if that's what was being asked for initially.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:38 pm

You're welcome Glasgow!   kiss

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:43 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:You're welcome Glasgow!   kiss

They’ll still be hiding under their rocks.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:55 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:You're welcome Glasgow!   kiss

They’ll still be hiding under their rocks.
Bit harsh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 18 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm

Hi Edinburgh. Well done. Stay classy. Wink
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next