The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Europe wins Laver Cup

5 posters

Go down

Team Europe wins Laver Cup Empty Team Europe wins Laver Cup

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Sep 2018, 12:56 am

Zverev helps Team Europe to win the second one - Laver Cup.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Team Europe wins Laver Cup Empty Re: Team Europe wins Laver Cup

Post by paulcz Tue 25 Sep 2018, 8:39 am

I hope no one can take LC seriously. This format is totally awkward. I do not know what the players got paid for, but it is impossible to think of any more stupid competitive event. I hope that this nonsense will not inspire other sports and we will not see the Europe team against the rest of the world in football or same teams in the boxing ring. Of course unless there are some fans who would rather see women against the men on the court. Women, of course they would play on a single court and men on the double court, but wouldn‘t it be sexist?
SW would never agree with that, so next year we will be lucky to see the new winner of LC trophy in the person of Andy Murray, who is eager to get this valuable trophy and will do for it all he can. This year RF will become the most successful tennis player with a triple LC wins, which I think no one ever can overcome.
What comes next? Then we can expect this extraordinary tennis event will be finished in its strongly competitive format and be turned into a pre-Christmas show.
Let's wait, that new Davis cup format is not as bad as I originally thought.
This year’s Lost Circuss winner is definitely Rafael Nadal. Fortunately, Rolex and RF are just doing tennis.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 27 Sep 2018, 3:40 pm

I personally took no interest in this - apart from reading some BBC articles that had click bait headlines - something about Djokovic smashing his doubles partner Federer with a tennis ball, Djokovic and Federer being the only Europeans to lose a match in the first round, Kyle Edmund being victorious over Jack Sock (I think), Djokovic losing to Anderson and Europe winning.

As long as the participants don't mind playing the event I see no reason why it shouldn't happen. It is clearly intended for the promotion of the sport and gives an opportunity for some locals to get to see elite level tennis players.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 28 Sep 2018, 5:06 pm

As at last year’s inaugural, the players seem extremely enthused by it, and it attracts a very large crowd who clearly like what they see.

The overall standard of tennis is high, and IMO every bit as competitive as any ATP tour event.

For good or bad, I’d say it’s here to stay.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 29 Sep 2018, 1:20 pm

I'm watching the Ryder Cup this weekend and the atmosphere is fantastic. I don't think that the Laver Cup could ever match it for drama and longevity. The biggest problem is that the Laver Cup is really centred around Federer and he (plus Nadal if he plays) is the real draw. Once he retires there will be much less interest. In the Ryder Cup players come and go but the allure and history of the tournament keeps the huge interest in it alive.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down