The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
LondonTiger
Afro
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 23 Sep 2018, 4:32 pm

For the final time this season  Sad
Specsavers County Championship winners Surrey have named their squad to face Essex in the final week of the season at the Kia Oval.
Dean Elgar has completed his spell at Surrey this season and returned to South Africa clap
Both Tom and Sam Curran are rested ahead of England’s white ball tour of Sri Lanka, which begins next weekend. Erm
The game will be shown on sky sports cricket channel so get ready for some awful commentary Laugh
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (captain)
Rikki Clarke
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Conor McKerr
Stuart Meaker
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Jason Roy
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
Have to say it's a shame Gareth batty wasn't given the chance to say play in the final game hope he will still get a medal (hey Guildford  Wink
Don't see the point of meaker playing as I doubt he will be here next year.
The last place is hard to call do we really want the tail starting at 8 so maybe Dernbach  misses out if we don't mind i'd go patel
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 23 Sep 2018, 6:58 pm

Cheers, JimBob. You've had another fine season. clap clap

Pleased to see the Club edited their earlier article to make clear who is in the squad. As you say, no Batty. Seems a bit tough on him but I suspect he's content now to concentrate on coaching and playing in just the white ball games. It would have been rough on Virdi though to bench him and we can't really justify playing 2 off spinners at the end of September. I reckon all the squad will get some form of medal from the Club even if not an official ECB Championship medal.

As you suggest, the team here looks a player short. Either the tail starts at 8 or we play Patel as a front line bowler and one of the seam quartet.

I'm going along tomorrow. Got to make up for missing the 2 previous home matches and Olly! Wink

PS JimBob - you going to say who you would have voted for on the other thread? Don't be shy!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 24 Sep 2018, 4:36 am

I agree with you chaps - harsh on Batty, but ultimately would've been harsher on Virdi (I imagine Gareth being the man he is might have stepped aside anyways if given the call).

It might seem harsh, but I would probably drop McKerr for Dernbach, and go with a seam attack of Morkel, Dernbach, Clarke, Patel with Virdi. Not sure I'd trust McKerr/Patel as our seamers behind Morkel/Clarke just yet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:02 am

Surrey win the toss, bat and collapse to 41 -4.  We've had a few of these through the season.  Usually someone bails us out. Will this finally be the occasion when that doesn't happen.

48 - 5 now! Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:33 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Surrey win the toss, bat and collapse to 41 -4.  We've had a few of these through the season.  Usually someone bails us out. Will this finally be the occasion when that doesn't happen.

48 - 5 now! Erm

Winning by an innings is going to be even more impressive now

#positivespin
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:39 am

57-7 - Surrey lads a touch hungover from belated/early celebrations?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:40 am

Afro wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Surrey win the toss, bat and collapse to 41 -4.  We've had a few of these through the season.  Usually someone bails us out. Will this finally be the occasion when that doesn't happen.

48 - 5 now! Erm

#positivespin

57 - 7 now! Shocked Shocked We're going to need every bit of Dernbach and Virdi's new found prowess with the bat! Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:55 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Afro wrote:

48 - 5 now! Erm

#positivespin

57 - 7 now! Shocked Shocked  We're going to need every bit of Dernbach and Virdi's new found prowess with the bat! Laugh

Are the ECB pitch inspectors on their way to The Oval now? Wink
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:43 am

67 all out ...

Thats less than both Popes and Burns' averages (pre this game!) for the season ..and only marginaly more than Roys (ok he only played one game)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 24 Sep 2018, 11:50 am

guildfordbat wrote:Cheers, JimBob. You've had another fine season. clap clap

Pleased to see the Club edited their earlier article to make clear who is in the squad. As you say, no Batty. Seems a bit tough on him but I suspect he's content now to concentrate on coaching and playing in just the white ball games. It would have been rough on Virdi though to bench him and we can't really justify playing 2 off spinners at the end of September. I reckon all the squad will get some form of medal from the Club even if not an official ECB Championship medal.

As you suggest, the team here looks a player short. Either the tail starts at 8 or we play Patel as a front line bowler and one of the seam quartet.

I'm going along tomorrow. Got to make up for missing the 2 previous home matches and Olly! Wink

PS JimBob - you going to say who you would have voted for on the other thread? Don't be shy!
i'm saving it for after this performance Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 24 Sep 2018, 4:43 pm

As the scoreboard obviously shows, a very poor day for Surrey.

Credit to Essex though. Their trio of seamers bowled extremely well - nippy and accurate (Porter was quicker than I expected and got noticeable lift at times) whilst Vijay and Westley batted exactly as required - patient much of the time but ruthless when an ordinary ball came along.

Tbf, the pitch eased as the day went on and warmed up but we folded all too readily and failed to show the resolve needed to benefit from the improved conditions. We really missed Elgar - not the most stylish of batsmen but someone who values his wicket and is prepared to scrap for it. By contrast, Dernbach's innings was shameful. I don't expect style from him but an ounce of sense would have been nice. He only had one role - ''Stay with Ollie'', an England Test batsman who had already seen 6 wickets fall during his time at the crease. Instead, Dernbach tried to hit Porter out of the ground and immediately lost his middle stump. Stupid.

Bowling wise, we looked a seamer light as I feared might be the case last night. On a decent batting track as this became, Patel was too samey and lacking in pace to be much of a threat. Meanwhile, the others were increasingly starting to look as if this was one game too many - I guess it was!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 24 Sep 2018, 4:45 pm

PS Just for the day, beer was £2 a pint, the same price as in 2002 when we last won the Championship. A good gesture by the Club and one I showed my appreciation of. Wink Ale Ale Ale Ale

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 25 Sep 2018, 7:27 am

Maybe thats why theyve been so bad guilford Very Happy

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Tue 25 Sep 2018, 9:36 am

Finally our batting comes good! Vijay has been a good signing, still don't understand why Chopra dosen't get a look in, in red ball though, particuarly given how bad a season Browne has had..

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 25 Sep 2018, 5:30 pm

start the rain dance Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Wed 26 Sep 2018, 11:26 am

Pope and Roy in the runs

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 26 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

Surrey will very probably still lose this one, but great to see them putting up good resistance with a 450+ score. Sounds like some entertaining batting today from Surrey's secular and religious leaders - Roy king and Pope.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 26 Sep 2018, 12:41 pm

Very handy partnership of 59* so far by Jacks and Patel - two batsmen trying to establish their place in the side. Jacks' score of 52* is his maiden first class half century. Realistically, Surrey's chance of saving or even winning the match is probably no higher than 5% but after that awful first couple of days they have shown that they are not going to give up their unbeaten record without a fight.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 26 Sep 2018, 6:14 pm

If Surrey make it to halfway through the afternoon session tomorrow we could have an interesting chase on our hands...!

But - that will be a tough task. 5 wickets left, small lead and facing a newish ball at 10:30am on a september morning. Essex still heavy favourites
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:16 am

Getting very interesting... Essex 59-5

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:19 am

You'd still make Essex favourites - but if Surrey can get another couple quickly it gets really interesting
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:35 am

Think Burns has got this wrong - bowling Virdi round the wicket to the right handers, with a short leg side boundary - just a nurdle and it's going for four.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:55 am

Listening to commentary on R5sports extra...a truly astonishing performance from Surrey to get this close to winning....they may just fall short..but what a turn around....

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:03 am

Essex need 21 runs with 2 wickets left.... Very Happy Very Happy

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:20 am

8 to win....I wicket left ...

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:24 am

I really don't know how we are throwing this away, shambolic batting again :/

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:35 am

2 to win...Quinn hit on head...drama

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

Second best finish to a game this season Ok! Wink
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:45 am

Well done Essex...fantastic fight back from Surrey. And almost got that world record...shame we couldn’t finish unbeaten. Nonetheless what a season for us!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:51 am

Cricket is a ridiculously brilliant sport. What a game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 27 Sep 2018, 1:09 pm

Corporal for the final time this season and as champions open the bar
Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Ale guinness RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 27 Sep 2018, 4:57 pm

Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky Ale Ale Ale Ale guinness guinness guinness guinness RedWine RedWine RedWine RedWine

What a finale to the season! Every other tight finish or difficult situation during the cc campaign we've somehow found a way through. But not this final time. Oh well.

Cheers all the Surrey faithful on this site - and also many thanks to those other generous posters who have paid tribute to what Surrey staff and players have got right this year.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down