The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was GGG robbed again? What do you think?

+4
Derbymanc
hogey
AdamT
erictheblueuk
8 posters

Go down

Was GGG robbed again? What do you think? Empty Was GGG robbed again? What do you think?

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 17 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Brian Campbell (CBS sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Dan Rafael (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Stephen A. Smith (ESPN): Golovkin won

Arash Markazi (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Brett Okamoto (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Teddy Atlas - Golovkin won

Salvador Rodríguez (ESPN Mexico): 114-114 draw

Eduardo Lamazón (Televisa): 116-112 Golovkin

Gareth A Davies (The Telegraph): 116-112 Golovkin

Josh Peter (USA Today): 115-113 Golovkin

Sports Illustrated: 114-114 draw

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times): 115-113 Golovkin

Lance Pugmire (La Times): 114-114 draw

BoxingScene: 114-114 draw

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports): 115-113 Golovkin

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports): 114-114 draw

The Guardian: 116-112 Golovkin

Joe DePaolo (Washington Post): 115-113 Golovkin

Mike Coppinger (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Douglass Fischer (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Mike Baca II (Ring Magazine and Undisputed Champion Network): 115-113 Golovkin

Al Bernstein (Showtime Sports): Golovkin won

Sherdog.com: 116-112 Golovkin

Jai Bednall (news.com.au): 115-113 Golovkin

Brian Mazique (Forbes): 114-114 draw

Adam Abramowitz (Ring Magazine and SN Boxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook): 116-112 Golovkin

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

Anton Tabuena (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

The Associated Press: 114-114 draw

Adam Caparell (Complex Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Bill Simmons (HBO and The Ringer): 114-114 draw

Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News): 116-112 Golovkin

Andreas Hale (Sporting News): Golovkin won

Graham Houston (Boxing Monthly): Canelo won

Michael Montero (MonteroOnBoxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Matt Christie (Boxing News): 115-114 Golovkin

George Willis (New York Post): 114-114 draw

Gary Melo (SportsNet Canada): Golovkin won

Below The Belt Podcast: 115-113 Golovkin

World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

Marcos Villegas (Fight Hub TV): 114-114 draw

Michelle Rosado (Raging Babe): 115-113 Canelo

Michelle Joy Phelps (Behind the Gloves): 115-113 Golovkin

Lennox Lewis: Golovkin won by 2 rounds

Fight Nights: 115-113 Golovkin

Michael Woods (NYFights.com): two point edge for Golovkin

Dieter Kurtenbach (San Jose Mercury News and the East Bay Times): Golovkin won by 3 rounds

Rafael G (the Fight City): 116-112 Golovkin

34 - GGG, 2 - Canelo, 15 - Draw

average fan scorecard (1773 fans): 116-113 Golovkin
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Was GGG robbed again? What do you think? Empty Re: Was GGG robbed again? What do you think?

Post by AdamT Mon 17 Sep 2018, 12:00 pm

The double standards amaze me when it comes to GGG!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Was GGG robbed again? What do you think? Empty Re: Was GGG robbed again? What do you think?

Post by hogey Mon 17 Sep 2018, 12:10 pm

It could have gone either way the judges who were closest to the action went for the aggression and more accuracy in the power and bodyshots over GGGs use of the jab and higher punch output. I think the fact so many predicted Canelo would get a decision if it went 12 rounds and the result of the first fight has whipped up more controversy than this result merits. For what its worth i had it a draw and have no preferred fighter out of the two, but have absolutely no problem with the outcome. The first first fight was a poor decision, this was just a close fight and most peoples favourite fighter of the two lost fuelling unjust fury again.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 17 Sep 2018, 8:33 pm

The first fight was close, this was one was close, i haven't seen it so can't comment too much but the reports i've read made it sound a very close fight.

As Hogey said, think the contaminated meat and the first fight have soured many people to Canelo so they'll look for any excuse.

A bit like Manny/Mayweather people will be coming up with excuses for months about why their favourite (in this case GGG) actually won and won handily.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:05 am

I think the bigger thing is that Canelo is 1-0-1 against a fighter most have him 0-1-1 at best and I think the majority of that group have him 0-2. Me personally, I caught a great fight and GGG made $20 million, with the opportunity to make another $20 million while Canelo proved he's a middleweight all time good at the very least because he definitely has a case for having won this fight.

Andre Ward made a good point though: if you thought Canelo drew the first one, then you had to give him this one. Fair enough.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 18 Sep 2018, 11:05 pm

I wonder how many of the people who gave the fight to Golovkin subconsciously held his doping conviction against him? It's very difficult to be completely neutral when you know one fighter has been caught doing something they shouldn't have.

From what I understand having not seen the fight in full, is that Canelo had just edged it for some, but it could easily be judged the other way. Add in the unintentional bias as mentioned, and there's your multiple cards for GGG. In my book it sounds like GGG did not quite do enough. Age? Doubt it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 19 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

I watched the fight again. Canelo was the aggressor and landed some hard shots to the body and head. However, it has to be said that GGG had a wonderful jab and boxed beautifully at times.

What I can't understand is, why didn't GGG go to the body more in the later rounds when Canelo looked fatigued? It would have won him the decision without a doubt.

A lot of GGG 'fanboys' are anti Mayweather. I wonder how they felt with GGG boxing on the back foot for majority of the fight?

Both guys fought another brilliant fight and I would definitely wouldn't mind seeing again.

GGG is known for having a granite chin, but what about Canelo? GGG asked for Canelo to stand his ground and boy did he!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 19 Sep 2018, 6:21 pm

Golovkin’s power nowhere to be seen his last two fights

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Sep 2018, 8:10 am

The power wasn't there because he has met an elite fighter that has a great chin.

For all the hate Canelo receives, the guy proved his machismo the other night.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Sep 2018, 9:56 am

Hagler would have walked through this guy

Wonder if Froch’s looking at that thinking what might have been if he decided to carry on and push for a Summer showdown with Golovkin at Wembley. Golovkin looking more human last few fights has Sanchez done a master job with him as Truss has always suggested? Let’s see him in with Charlo get a clearer picture

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

I think Golovkin deserved the win (by at least a couple of rounds) but there were a few rounds that were desperately close and difficult to score.

Few points: Golovkin has regressed slightly over recent fights (understandable due to his age and style - he was gasping for air after a few rounds) - that seems plain to see (to me at least). The fact that has coincided with him fighting the two best opponents of his career is unfortunate (but all part of the game).

Canelo was excellent throughout and proved he has a granite chin and plenty of heart and ability. GGG, also, managed to dredge out a really good effort over the fights final third. Kudos to both.

Ultimately, we're looking at two good but not great fighters here. Extremely well-matched but time is on Canelo's side should they fight again.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down