The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread

+5
Stone Motif
Luckless Pedestrian
Pot Hale
SecretFly
munkian
9 posters

Go down

Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread Empty Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

Leinster's first big test of the season.  Dragons on a lengthy one game winning streak.  Should be a humdinger.

Discuss!

(I'll post teams when I find them).

Battle of the coaches:

Cullen
Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread Cullen10

Vs.

Jackman
Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread Wood10

Last edited by The Oracle on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 1:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread Empty Re: Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread

Post by munkian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 12:50 pm

The D4 Jackeens are bringing their big guns out - cheer on the common man, c'mon Dragons Yahoo
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread Empty Re: Leinster v Dragons - Saturday 15th Sept - Match Thread

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2018, 1:37 pm

Finally a game that our well rested players can rest through..... Whistle

Only kidding, only kidding! Hug

I have a feeling Leinster will splutter this season. The common man might get his pound of flesh a good few times before the season ends.

Jackman is looking prettier than usual so he must be confident.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2018, 1:42 pm

For me as a Dragons fan this is about damage limitation, as much as it saddens me to say so. We’re notoriously shocking away from home and, as of the past 3 or 4 seasons, pretty shoite at home too. But away we just tend to fold.  On paper this should be a drubbing.

So I just want to see signs of progress. I’m not looking for a win as a sign of improvement or progress. I just don’t think that is anywhere near to happening. But what I’d like in inevitable defeat is no capitulation. We sometimes give teams a game for x minutes and then, when we go a few scores down, that’s it the flood gates open and it quickly becomes 50 points conceded. The opposition then take some players off to rest them, we get a late try or two, and the scoreline flatters us a bit. So for me, progress will be going a few scores down but somehow changing whatever it is we’re doing to allow the opposition to score and weather the storm. Just keeping the score respectable and not giving up after 50mins would be ace. Getting an LBP would be hugely positive!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:11 pm

A bit of trivia for you.  If my research is correct.......

Dragons last away win in the league was against...... wait for it...... Leinster in Feb 2015.  On the one hand that is truly awful (from a Dragons point of view - 3 years without an away win!).  Worse than awful.  But on the other........ we're coming for ya Leinster!!!

Last edited by The Oracle on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:21 pm

Yeah, 2015....NOT a vintage year for the auld Leinster grapes

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:48 pm

Possible Leinster team for Saturday:

R Kearney, McFadden, Tomane, Henshaw, Lowe, Sexton, McGrath
Healy, Tracy, Abdaladze, Fardy, Ryan, Ruddock, VdF, Deegan
Cronin, Bent, Dooley/Furlong, Molony, Doris, McCarthy, Reid, D Kearney.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:49 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Possible Leinster team for Saturday:

R Kearney, McFadden, Tomane, Henshaw, Lowe, Sexton, McGrath
Healy, Tracy, Abdaladze, Fardy, Ryan, Ruddock, VdF, Deegan
Cronin, Bent, Dooley/Furlong, Molony, Doris, McCarthy, Reid, D Kearney.

Looks weak etc
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:53 pm

The Oracle wrote:A bit of trivia for you.  If my research is correct.......

Dragons last away win in the league was against...... wait for it...... Leinster in Feb 2015.  On the one hand that is truly awful (from a Dragons point of view - 3 years without an away win!).  Worse than awful.  But on the other........ we're coming for ya Leinster!!!

I'm pretty sure our last away league win was against Treviso later that season. Still a sh!t record, but marginally less sh!t Sad

Last season we threw our away games in Ireland and Jackman was rightly pilloried for it, so surely - surely - our first team will give them a game at least. We're sure to concede tries, because our defence coach isn't up to much and we couldn't afford to have Shaun Edwards as a consultant, but even so I just want us to make them work hard for their scores, and for the win. Even Dragons fans have pride!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:54 pm

Leinster fans might find this worth reading:

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16855858.chris-kirwan-fighting-the-irish-is-the-least-we-expect-from-dragons/

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
The Oracle wrote:A bit of trivia for you.  If my research is correct.......

I'm pretty sure our last away league win was against Treviso later that season. Still a sh!t record, but marginally less sh!t Sad

Last season we threw our away games in Ireland and Jackman was rightly pilloried for it, so surely - surely - our first team will give them a game at least. We're sure to concede tries, because our defence coach isn't up to much and we couldn't afford to have Shaun Edwards as a consultant, but even so I just want us to make them work hard for their scores, and for the win. Even Dragons fans have pride!

Sorry, you're right. I missed that one somehow. Must have been momentarily dazzled by all of the W's in the 2014/15 results column! That season we won half our games! Strewth! Over half if you include 4 wins on the bounce in pre-season. Those were the days Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:11 pm

Same team for Bernie O'Jackman this week you reckon?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:17 pm

I'd have thought so, minus Tyler Morgan.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:17 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Same team for Bernie O'Jackman this week you reckon?

He's said as much, I'll be disappointed if not.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:23 pm

Incidentally, the Ospreys have made 12 changes for their trip to Cork.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:25 pm

Bit daft, Munster seem beatable at the moment.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:45 pm

Am I missing some sort of irony in you posting Christian Cullen as Leinster's head coach?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Am I missing some sort of irony in you posting Christian Cullen as Leinster's head coach?

Humour, not irony Mikey. And that’s not a pic of Jackman either in case you’re wondering. Again, humour. Just try it to lighten the mood.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:53 pm

I had to look again then, I thought it was just Jackman having a day but upon tenth glance it's potato head himself!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 13 Sep 2018, 6:36 pm

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Am I missing some sort of irony in you posting Christian Cullen as Leinster's head coach?

Humour, not irony Mikey. And that’s not a pic of Jackman either in case you’re wondering. Again, humour. Just try it to lighten the mood.
Ask him a question about rugby, it's comedy gold
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 13 Sep 2018, 7:11 pm

^^^ WOL fawner/LD imitator is back. Surprised you're not reposting that rag.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 14 Sep 2018, 5:02 pm

First home game for Leinster.

15. Rob Kearney (197)
14. Jordan Larmour (23)
13. Garry Ringrose (50)
12. Robbie Henshaw (25)
11. Dave Kearney (123)
10. Johnny Sexton (148) CAPTAIN
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (53)
1. Ed Byrne (24)
2. Seán Cronin (154)
3. Andrew Porter (32)
4. Scott Fardy (23)
5. James Ryan (15)
6. Max Deegan (23)
7. Josh van der Flier (60)
8. Jack Conan (75)

16. Bryan Byrne (27)
17. Peter Dooley (49)
18. Tadhg Furlong (85)
19. Ross Molony (65)
20. Caelan Doris (2)
21. Hugh O’Sullivan (0)
22. Noel Reid (101)
23. Joe Tomane (2)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 14 Sep 2018, 5:06 pm

His name is Bernard Jackman. Do you think calling him O’Jackman is funny or makes him more Irish sounding?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2018, 5:12 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

His name is Bernard Jackman.  Do you think calling him O’Jackman is funny or makes him more Irish sounding?

Any different to adding ‘boyo’ to stuff linked to welsh men (not you but people)?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Sep 2018, 5:25 pm

Oh I think it's a toy term for brotherly rivalry Pot.  Irish v Welsh - it's been a good game for the last decade or so.  Some take it way too seriously (even ever placid me at times  Whistle )  Others just play around with it and just enjoy the banter.

I don't see much boyo stuff in 606 though yet even I admit to playfully doing the O' stuff - mainly to jab at PhilBB Cool . Always own the insult is my mantra.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

His name is Bernard Jackman.  Do you think calling him O’Jackman is funny or makes him more Irish sounding?

I wouldn't engage with this idiot. He'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:45 pm

Gibson Park over for his second at the RDS. 38-3 after 58 minutes.

Followed by a scintillating run from his own half by the Dragons 15, Williams as he speeds over to score. RDS applauds - lovely try.

38-10.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:48 pm

And Furlo gets his first of the season at home after grabbing a high pass from Gibson Park. 45-10.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:00 pm

I know dragons are losing but seem to be giving everything. Just not the skills.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:40 pm

The Oracle wrote:For me as a Dragons fan this is about damage limitation, as much as it saddens me to say so. We’re notoriously shocking away from home and, as of the past 3 or 4 seasons, pretty shoite at home too. But away we just tend to fold.  On paper this should be a drubbing.

So I just want to see signs of progress.  I’m not looking for a win as a sign of improvement or progress. I just don’t think that is anywhere near to happening. But what I’d like in inevitable defeat is no capitulation. We sometimes give teams a game for x minutes and then, when we go a few scores down, that’s it the flood gates open and it quickly becomes 50 points conceded. The opposition then take some players off to rest them, we get a late try or two, and the scoreline flatters us a bit. So for me, progress will be going a few scores down but somehow changing whatever it is we’re doing to allow the opposition to score and weather the storm. Just keeping the score respectable and not giving up after 50mins would be ace. Getting an LBP would be hugely positive!

So capitulation it was then!

Congrats Leinster. A different class clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:57 pm

Cheers Oracle. Pity it wasn’t more of a contest. I like that full back of yours, Williams. It’d be nice to see him progress.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

Yeah, he set the Jnr World Cup alight a few years back but couldn’t really get a good run of games in the Scarlets team (Liam Williams at 15 and decent wingers ahead of him). Went to Bristol for a while and we've enticed him back. Dangerous runner and on paper part of an exciting back 3. It’s just proving difficult to get them the ball or get them in good positions to strike!

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 15 Sep 2018, 9:14 pm

Nic Cudd had a great game, think Leinster would have been out of sight after 20 minutes if it wasn't for him. But you can't defend and disrupt for 80 minutes.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 15 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

Jared Rosser scored five tries today v Connacht A Shocked Can see him stepping straight in for Amos
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:21 pm

Jackman surely must go now, having devalued the game by picking the side he did to excuse the inevitable loss he can't pretend that the team is any better off now than last term.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:00 am

Pie wrote:Jackman surely must go now, having devalued the game by picking the side he did to excuse the inevitable loss he can't pretend that the team is any better off now than last term.
What the actual feck are you on about?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 16 Sep 2018, 2:55 am

Not sure what Pie is on about but Jackman should go. He was brought in to improve the Dragons and he hasn't done that. Three matches in after pre-season is enough, teams should be hitting the ground running. We just look very poorly coached. WRU should bring in some coaching class from NZ for the Welsh regions minus the Scarlets who already have theirs.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sun 16 Sep 2018, 3:00 am

Stone Motif wrote:
Pie wrote:Jackman surely must go now, having devalued the game by picking the side he did to excuse the inevitable loss he can't pretend that the team is any better off now than last term.

Keep reading it, you'll get it eventually Rolling Eyes

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Sep 2018, 7:49 am

Pie wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Keep reading it, you'll get it eventually Rolling Eyes

Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2018, 8:27 am

He didn’t pick a weakened side. Which side would you have chosen then, genius?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:24 am

The Oracle wrote:

He didn’t pick a weakened side. Which side would you have chosen then, genius?
If he'd said Jackman needs to go because he's a stamp collecting charlatan who has failed at any measure of his job, including now recruitment, he'd have had a point
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:40 am

You could argue for a few players, but I’d say they’d be marginal calls: Nansen over Screech for more power perhaps; Griffiths over Cudd for the former’s open field play (but Cudd is arguably the better at slowing them down and got good reviews on his showing yesterday); Brown instead of Fairbrother maybe. But they’re not significant upgrades. For me they are not deliberate attempts to send out a weak team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

The Oracle wrote:You could argue for a few players, but I’d say they’d be marginal calls: Nansen over Screech for more power perhaps; Griffiths over Cudd for the former’s open field play (but Cudd is arguably the better at slowing them down and got good reviews on his showing yesterday); Brown instead of Fairbrother maybe. But they’re not significant upgrades. For me they are not deliberate attempts to send out a weak team.
No, they're incompetent attempts to recruit and select an average team.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:08 pm

If we want big carriers then we still need locks, then move Nansen to 6. We'd also need a fly-half that's more consistent than Lewis and less injury prone than Henson, along with a new coaching team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down