The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hybrids / utility irons / long irons

+3
kwinigolfer
McLaren
raycastleunited
7 posters

Go down

hybrids / utility irons / long irons Empty hybrids / utility irons / long irons

Post by raycastleunited Fri 07 Sep 2018, 12:16 pm

I'm thinking about getting a new club to fill the gap between 3 wood and 4 iron. Just after any tips and opinions as there seems to be a lot of options around at the moment.

I have quite a steep swing, which is great for striking crisp irons but not so good for the sweeping strike required for fairway woods and large headed hybrids. I currently have a Titleist 910 18 deg hybrid: I strike this very well, it probably almost goes as far as my 3 wood (also Titleist 910), certainly more consistent, but it still feels more like a fairway wood than an iron. That still leaves quite a gap to the 4 iron, which I plug with an old TM 22 deg rescue - and I want to replace this.

Consequently, I'm interested in more "iron-like" options such as utilities. Thinking Mizuno MP fli-hi (I have Mizuno JPX tour forged irons) and similar offerings from Titleist etc, I've seen TM have a new GAPR range, but what really intrigues me are the Cobra one length utility and hybrid. The idea of a "hot" 3 iron head with a shorter 7 iron shaft really appeals.

Sweet strike with a 4 iron flies 185 for me, so I'm looking for something that flies 200 and can become a reliable "go-to club" when I want to bunt it forward on a par 5 or long par 4, and also off the tee on tight holes.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

hybrids / utility irons / long irons Empty Re: hybrids / utility irons / long irons

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Sep 2018, 2:30 pm

Hybrids are for hackers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

hybrids / utility irons / long irons Empty Re: hybrids / utility irons / long irons

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 6:22 pm

McLaren wrote:Hybrids are for hackers.

Sounds as if you have quite a few then Mac?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:15 am

McLaren wrote:Hybrids are for hackers.

Sweeping statements are for dikheads

Though I am a hacker and have a hybrid. Its a Cleveland one and I love it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 08 Sep 2018, 4:47 pm

I'm not a hacker, and I have 3 hybrids/utilities in the bag. Recently tried the Titleist T-MB (716 version) in 2-, 3- and 4-iron. Good when you get them right, but you'd better have a good, consistent swing with decent clubhead speed. In the end too hard for the (inconsistent) reward. Look good in the bag though Cool.

Used to quite like Mizuno's FliHis when I had some in the past. Genuine like-for-like replacement re. normal irons in terms of distance.

Currently have some eBay special Adams Pro DHy in the bag. Awesome. Small hybrid/utility and very easy to hit. They're a bit hotter than my real 2-, 3- and 4-irons, but exceptional. Only (very slight) issue is it's not as easy to drill a low shot with them cf. the equivalent iron; still doable though. In reality though, that's not something I have to to do very often.

Couldn't use anything called a 'GAPR' (seriously, what were TM thinking?) though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 10 Sep 2018, 10:19 am

Something that fits in the gap between fairway and irons being called a gapper isn't that ridiculous a name really is it Navy? Kind of describes what it does and is more (PR?) friendly than (say) the Titleist 718 TMB 3 iron. I'd say it was a better name for what the product is than they have come up with in the past. Aeroburner/SLDR anyone? Rogue Sub Zero (I know that's a Callaway, but it's silly).

Good q Ray - I've moved away from hybrids had Titleist 909/913, Callaway X and Adams red. All of which were too long (ie the gap between it and 3 wood was too small relative to the big gap between it and 4 iron). I wanted to be closer to my 4 iron and a bit lower flighted and so went for the Titleist 716 TMB 3 iron.

I like the iron and I seem to strike it well enough and it fits my gap nicely (oo-er Erm) and I find that it goes far/straight enough when I don't catch it well. I found that the hybrids were easier to launch but the regular miss I had was a catastrophic pull hook (ie 40 yards or more left of target) which I don't seem to have with the iron.

I did have ridiculously ugly Cleveland 18 degree hybrid from about 8-10 years ago with a steel Dynamic Gold S300 shaft in. Low, iron-like flight from the shaft, easy to pick up from the clubhead. Just about perfect blend of exactly what I want.

Sold it earlier this year. Idiot.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 10 Sep 2018, 10:56 am

Thanks Navy and Roller.

I like the look of the T-MB too. I probably have the clubhead speed but not the consistent swing... on an off day I imagine these clubs are as useful as a chocolate teapot. So you think the Mizuno's are easier to hit?

The TM GAPR Lo looks very similar to the Adams Pro DHy.... remember that TM bought Adams.

Roller sounds like you had the same gapping issue as me - the hybrid was more like a 3 wood than 3 iron.

I just need to try out a range of clubs and see what the results are.

In retrospect this is probably the wrong forum for this discussion. This board used to be about playing golf as much as anything else but now has evolved to be about watching golf. And of course we have muppets like Mac who don't even play golf but feel compelled to comment on everything.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 10 Sep 2018, 3:03 pm

Does seem similar Ray. Part of my issue may well have been that I picked 2 iron lofts in my hybrids (and kept doing so Doh - repeating same mistake and expecting different outcomes anyone?) so when I picked a 3 iron loft in a more iron type club it better suited what I wanted. I only picked my 3 iron based on using a mates (714 vs my 716) and found the flight pretty launch-y for a long iron but not too high and I find it pretty easy to hit - especially off a tee. No idea about any other ones but I'd guess the Mizuno would be a pretty good bet.  

You carrying an 18 and a 22 hybrid and then a 4 iron? What's your wedge set up?

I'm 3 wd, 3 iron then it's the iron set starting at 4 iron through to 50 (set is 4 - PW + gap of 50) then 53/56 wedges (50/53/56 suits my short course more than more longer clubs). With your 2 current hybrids then 4 iron are you carrying 2 wedges beyond the iron set which I presume finishes at PW?

In other club based discussions - recently changed wedges to Mizuno S18 (probably for hackers). First forged wedges I've had. Really nice feel, superb around the greens, are a little bit shorter (ie ball goes less far, rather than the clubs are physically shorter!) than my previous non-forged equivalents but I don't use them on too many full shots, but it does take a little getting used to.

Had Vokeys (various iterations but never really liked them), clevelands (OK, nothing special but I do have a very nice high bounce 58 which is superb on foreign courses with the softer ground/bunkers), TM (ones before groove rules changed so were very spinny and had really nice bounce and grinds - before bounce and grind options went so extensive) and one of a Ping (too much bounce for me but love the dyla grip) and a callaway (nice, mack daddy 2 lob wedge).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Sep 2018, 3:12 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Something that fits in the gap between fairway and irons being called a gapper isn't that ridiculous a name really is it Navy? ...
Try saying it slightly differently. Imagine an an 'e' between the 'p' and the 'r'. Before anyone jumps on me, I've heard numerous people mention it. Doesn't matter - I'm sure they're good (but overpriced) clubs and the naming fits right in with TM's history.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Sep 2018, 3:21 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Thanks Navy and Roller.

I like the look of the T-MB too. I probably have the clubhead speed but not the consistent swing... on an off day I imagine these clubs are as useful as a chocolate teapot. So you think the Mizuno's are easier to hit?

The TM GAPR Lo looks very similar to the Adams Pro DHy.... remember that TM bought Adams.

Roller sounds like you had the same gapping issue as me - the hybrid was more like a 3 wood than 3 iron.

I just need to try out a range of clubs and see what the results are.

In retrospect this is probably the wrong forum for this discussion. This board used to be about playing golf as much as anything else but now has evolved to be about watching golf. And of course we have muppets like Mac who don't even play golf but feel compelled to comment on everything.
Yeah. Suspect TM bought (and killed) Adams for this sort of tech that was on Adams' books. I find the DHy easy to launch and mid- to mid-high with that standard spec shaft, but I think the GAPR Lo is pretty low launch, at least that was the case in Rick Shiels' YouTube review of them. I quite like the highish launch of the DHy - rather be able to hold a green than occasionally need to keep it down into stiff wind. I don't find they balloon at all though, so even into wind they penetrate fine. That said, I find I can drill the DHys pretty good if I put my mind to it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 10 Sep 2018, 4:26 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:Something that fits in the gap between fairway and irons being called a gapper isn't that ridiculous a name really is it Navy? ...
Try saying it slightly differently. Imagine an an 'e' between the 'p' and the 'r'. Before anyone jumps on me, I've heard numerous people mention it. Doesn't matter - I'm sure they're good (but overpriced) clubs and the naming fits right in with TM's history.

Ah. I hadn't even thought of pronouncing it more like gape-er, which would be daft (and in line with their usual standards!). I'm sticking with gapper, if only because the inevitable release of a jazzed up copper coloured one or a tour gold one for example would make it a dapper gapper.

All club prices have gone through the roof I think. Irons are a grand a set, drivers 450, those TM gap 230. Pretty sure that's the PXG effect and OEM "getting away with it" rather than enhanced R&D costs etc that they'll smarm about.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 10 Sep 2018, 4:35 pm

Playing a short course, I don't need to hold greens with (m)any long clubs so I like the low(er) launch of the crossover, which is more likely to be on a tee shot or a second up a par 5 in our breezy seaside location.

Someone at our place has the DHY or the predecessor - I think they are a great looking blend of iron/hybrid (although the one I borrowed was XS and too clanky for me) and so finding one with the right shaft might be perfect.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 10 Sep 2018, 4:55 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:
You carrying an 18 and a 22 hybrid and then a 4 iron? What's your wedge set up?

I'm 3 wd, 3 iron then it's the iron set starting at 4 iron through to 50 (set is 4 - PW + gap of 50) then 53/56 wedges (50/53/56 suits my short course more than more longer clubs). With your 2 current hybrids then 4 iron are you carrying 2 wedges beyond the iron set which I presume finishes at PW?

In other club based discussions - recently changed wedges to Mizuno S18 (probably for hackers). First forged wedges I've had.

Yes I only have 2 wedges - a 54 and 58. Full PW flies 130 and full 54 flies 100 so I have a big gap there, but I have several swings where I progressively grip down, move the ball back and shorten the back swing. This effectively covers 70-100 for the 54 and 100-130 for the PW and I feel I can control a smooth three quarter swing much better. A full swing with the 58 flies 80 yards, but I would always hit a 3/4 54 from this distance and I only use the 58 from 60 yards and in.

Incidentally I also have forged Mizuno MP wedges (only because I have Mizuno irons) which feel nice, but I expect all the main OEMs are same. Vokeys, Mizuno, Cleveland etc mostly have the same dynamic gold wedge flex shaft, are all forged heads and are at the legal limit on grooves. Can't imagine they feel very different?

I have thought about getting a 50 degree gap wedge. But then I'd have to change the top of the bag as well. Probably would suit me more to have a 4 wood instead of 3 wood (easier to hit and get airborne, esp off the fairway) and then one hybrid / utility that is shorter than my current 3H.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 10 Sep 2018, 4:58 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:
All club prices have gone through the roof I think. Irons are a grand a set, drivers 450, those TM gap 230. Pretty sure that's the PXG effect and OEM "getting away with it" rather than enhanced R&D costs etc that they'll smarm about.

There is a premiumisation trend. It's worked with posh vodka like ciroc etc.

However FX rates have a lot to do with it... the prices in USD haven't gone up that much. Blame Brexit.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Sep 2018, 5:32 pm

Clubs are what ever you want to pay for them, just like every other sport in the world.
There's everything from budget to the rip off no extra gain clubs.

There's probably more choice and more price range now that at any time in the history of golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down