The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But.......

5 posters

Go down

Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But....... Empty Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But.......

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 27 Jul 2018 - 9:58

Ok - it has been a while since I last posted.

But I am a little bit bamboozled with the latest news.

Callum Smith (English) is fighting George Groves (English) for the WBSS finale - world titles on the line.....great tournament....which is being concluded in Jeddah and not Manchester or London.

Could someone PLEASE explain the logic behind this?

How are the UK fans going to get to this fight given they both have great support bases, especially from the Liverpool/London regions.

Who can fly out to Saudi Arabia (still sounds mad even putting that down) and watch??!

The usual £60 - £300 ticket rate, plus transport and a cheap premier inn, has now changed to a £600 flight, VISA, tickets, etc.

Im stunned - mainly confused.

Anyone help?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But....... Empty Re: Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But.......

Post by melv500 Fri 27 Jul 2018 - 12:59

I thought was a wind up it was so ridiculous. I can only imagine they threw money it and it was gladly accepted without a second thought for the fans. You’d have hoped the fighters would have tried to stop it but money talks.

Also anyone who goes good luck getting a pint out there.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But....... Empty Re: Smith vs Groves - Confirmed - But.......

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 Jul 2018 - 13:21

Won the staging rights obviously..

You don't bid against eachother....Protocol is you send in one bid and the highest gets it...

Groves Sheikhen by a Right hand..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri 27 Jul 2018 - 18:20

My guess is the powers that be in Saudi sports have thrown that much money at them to stage this that they simply don't care about gate receipts.

It'll still do as well on ITV box office as it would of in the UK as the time difference means it'll be accessible so the decision while ridiculous from a fans/fighters point of view probably makes sense from a financial one.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by g_mac Fri 27 Jul 2018 - 22:02

Think it’s to do with Saudia Arabia reforming with the new prince encouraging things that were previously banned. They have obviously thrown a wad of cash at it as well. Anyone know the prize breakdown? I’m sure it’s something stupid, hence why all the big names and world champions are fighting.

Time difference wise, are they not behind so the itv box office will be mid to late afternoon or am I just making that up?

g_mac

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 28 Jul 2018 - 7:07

They are to he right of us geographically...

So they will be ahead of us in time not behind.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by g_mac Sat 28 Jul 2018 - 7:57

Yeah sorry, meant they are ahead time wise so it will be on mid afternoon! Doh

g_mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down