The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

+22
the-goon
Pot Hale
EWT Spoons
Cardiff Dave
XR
prop_lyd
profitius
VinceWLB
SecretFly
maestegmafia
St John The Enforcer
BamBam
LordDowlais
carpet baboon
ScarletSpiderman
Brendan
mikey_dragon
Luckless Pedestrian
Stone Motif
RiscaGame
PhilBB
munkian
26 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan - Page 19 Empty Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

So we made it to the end of the 2017/18 season.  We've seen/endured the first year of Bernard Jackman's plan.  I think most of us have been through a rollercoaster of emotions, similar to previous seasons but perhaps even more so this season given the new injection of life and investment into the Dragons.  First there was the hope - the new coaches, some new players, the new pitch, new chairman, new cash injection.  Then we started to stumble - it's all down to the new coach and getting used to the new systems, we said.  Then came the face plant and the realisation that this trend was going to carry on for the whole season - a couple of wins in the league, a few in Europe, a lot of spankings, not many losing bonus points.  Very poor return.  The hope turned to despair and BJ's methods were being questioned.  Then the hope comes again with the announcement of new signings ('stellar' signings, compared to previous years!) and the assurance that the 1st year of the plan was always going to be difficult and that year 2 would be the one to judge BJ on.....  

So.......on to year 2 (2018/19).  Where are we?  What are our expectations (realistically)?  What's the best team we can put out on paper and how competitive will it be?  For a number of years we've been stuffed in the league so seem to try to get some solace from a decent showing in the Euro 2nd tier comp.  However, should we forget about Europe and try to put all of our focus on the league?  I think so.

Transfers - we've lost more than we've gained, although the quality of the transfers in could/should be better than those leaving.  But I'm worried we'll be thin on the ground when the inevitable injuries hit.

Players In: = 14
Jordan Williams from England Bristol Bears
Rhodri Williams from England Bristol Bears
Ross Moriarty from England Gloucester
Rhodri Davies from England Rotherham Titans
Richard Hibbard from England Gloucester
Huw Taylor from England Worcester Warriors
Josh Lewis from England Bath
Ryan Bevington from England Bristol Bears
Aaron Jarvis from France Clermont
Dafydd Howells from Wales Ospreys
Tiaan Loots from Wales RGC 1404
Jacob Botica from Wales RGC 1404
Rhys Lawrence from England Ealing Trailfinders
Brandon Nansen from France

Players Out: - =21
Sarel Pretorius to South Africa Southern Kings
Phil Price to Wales Scarlets
Scott Andrews to Wales Neath
Luke Garrett to Wales Neath
Adam Hughes retired
Pat Howard to England Ealing Trailfinders
Rhys Buckley to Wales Bargoed
Barney Nightingale to Wales Bargoed
Keagan Bale to Wales Bargoed
Angus O'Brien to Wales Scarlets
Nicky Thomas to Wales Scarlets (return from short-term loan)
Dorian Jones to France Angoulême
Charlie Davies to England Northampton Saints
Lloyd Lewis to Wales Pontypool
Sam Beard to New Zealand Canterbury
Sam Hobbs released
Thomas Davies released
Liam Belcher released
Ashley Sweet released
Robson Blake released
Carl Meyer released

I'll try to update the Ins and Outs as we go.

Last edited by The Oracle on Fri 06 Jul 2018, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan - Page 19 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

Post by Guest Wed 12 Dec 2018, 4:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Where would you base this west wales region, LD?

Parc Y Scarlets, with the odd game at Swansea. But there could be an argument made for vice versa as the population is in Swansea.

So population is important? Anything else?

Last edited by The Oracle on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan - Page 19 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

Post by Guest Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:They are in South Wales you plum! Look on a map. West Wales is Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, Newquay, etc.

yeah, I'm the plum, but Scarlets slogan is "WEST IS BEST".

You might need to get onto them and let them know how much of a plum they all are. Laugh

Just because someone puts in on their seats doesn’t mean it’s correct picard

Seriously, are you unable to just look at a map? No one in their right mind would consider Llanelli to be west. West of Cardiff, maybe. But west Wales?! Please!

South West Wales they are. If you disagree, you better contact everyone at Llanelli RFC and tell them. OK

Towards west Wales would be a better description.

Why would I need to contact everyone?

No. They are in South West Wales, just because they are not as far west as Pembroke Dock makes no difference. Is Hay-on-Wye any less in Wales because it's on the border of England ?

I didn’t suggest Llanelli wasn’t in Wales. What a ridiculous example.

I said they were towards west Wales. They are literally NOT in west Wales by any definition of the term ‘West’. You could argue for South West I suppose but it’s much more south than south west. ‘South South West’ would be accurate Very Happy South West is St David’s and Haverfordwest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:07 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Brendan wrote:At underage say u14/u16/u18 do the teams play in a Welsh league or region league.

In GAA at the top level each county is broken up into regions, at underage you win your region and then your represent your region in the county playoffs. They would also pick the best players to represent the region team for a few games aswell which for a person from a small village it's a great honour/status.

If all the underage teams in Gwent are playing each other to be Gwent champions I think they all would feel a part of the region and would want to play for the regional team of the Dragons.

When I was growing up, there used to be districts (mine was Islwyn) and then county teams as clubs and schools. Don’t know if the districts thing happens now, nor county rugby so much now there’s no Gwent. The youth teams that would’ve been under the old Gwent umbrella play in a Dragons’ A and B league, I know that, as well as a few cups.

So the young players growing up know they are boys of Gwent and Dragon coaches can see the boys and track them. I think the problem with region is then just in certain people's heads (which I thought anyway)
If Dragon could keep their players they would have a good squad so hopefully that will start to happen more

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:25 pm

Of the six Dragons players called up to the Wales squad for the Autumn internationals, four are from the region (Dee, Brown, Wainwright and Morgan).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 12 Dec 2018, 6:18 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:They are in South Wales you plum! Look on a map. West Wales is Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, Newquay, etc.

yeah, I'm the plum, but Scarlets slogan is "WEST IS BEST".

You might need to get onto them and let them know how much of a plum they all are. Laugh

Llanelli being ‘West is Best’ is about as true as Ospreys being the ‘One True Region’ - so labelling them all plums is fairly accurate.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 12 Dec 2018, 6:20 pm

The Oracle wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Where would you base this west wales region, LD?

Parc Y Scarlets, with the odd game at Swansea. But there could be an argument made for vice versa as the population is in Swansea.

So population is important? Anything else?

It is important, and with population comes money. Hence, the regions are based along the ‘M4 Corridor’, for those in Ponty still scratching their heads.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Dec 2018, 9:11 pm

I’ve seen lots of people calling for Mike Ruddock to be give the job. Not sure I agree with that. He’s been out of pro rugby for so long. It would be a big risk, for both parties probably. I get the nostalgia over him but not sure we can call on someone from so far in the past.

This ‘man of Gwent’ thing probably works when you have players mostly from that geographical area, but with pro rugby these days the squad is such a mix of players that I’m not sure the Gwent thing makes a difference. To fans maybe, but I’m sure they’d prefer to see a winning side at the expense of a Man of Gwent coach. I know the push is to play mostly Welsh players in Welsh regional rugby, but they’ll be from all over Wales. A Gwent man won’t make much difference to the players from outside Gwent. Similarly, the odd overseas player won’t really care - Brandon Nansen is not suddenly going to start running though walls for a Gwent-born coach. But he might do for a coach who’s a really good player manager and knows how to get the best out of the team, regardless of where he’s from. If he’s from Gwent then that’s a bonus, but the most important thing is that he is proven and is able to get the best out of this squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 12 Dec 2018, 9:22 pm

I don’t want him. I want Mallinder, or the more I think about it I actually want Andy Robinson. At least with a nickname like the growler, he won’t offer BS soundbites in the press and give people false promises to cling on to, to save his skin Wink

This Gwent coach or even the need to employ Welsh coaches is not something we need to remotely consider. We just need a coach to shake Dragons up again and get us a bit more organised than uncle Bernard managed to.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 12 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

Yeah it’s pretty daft, and would be deja vu all over again. If Ruddock was to come back, which he won’t, then he’d be better suited to an academy role right now. If Welsh teams are serious about developing for the future then more should have a coach like that involved with their academies.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 12 Dec 2018, 11:03 pm

Eddie O’Sullivan would be good for Dragons.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 13 Dec 2018, 12:45 am

Pot Hale wrote:Eddie O’Sullivan would be good for Dragons.  

What’s he been up to? USA coach and.... ?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Dec 2018, 8:27 am

Pot Hale wrote:Eddie O’Sullivan would be good for Dragons.  

Don’t think we have a good record with Irish coaches, with what happened with Jackman and particularly Declan Kidney Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:38 am

I'm worried that there hasn't been any mention (that I've seen) of a replacement defence coach. Defence is the foundation.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:48 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm worried that there hasn't been any mention (that I've seen) of a replacement defence coach. Defence is the foundation.

Sean Edwards as head coach and super defense coach all rolled into one???! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:57 am

I think that might be too much of a distraction, even for him!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

Probably can’t do much until they appoint a new gaffer.

I’m sure all appointments will be carefully considered this time. We have no reason to doh t Buttress Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:49 am

I just don't want them to forget!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 3:47 pm

Edwards in line to take over as interim coach.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 3:51 pm

So I hear. Shows what I know! Laugh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 3:52 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:So I hear. Shows what I know! Laugh

Our lads are going to get an absolute bollocking Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 4:00 pm

I don't know how that's going to work out when we play the Ospreys though Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

'Dragons will be without hooker Richard Hibbard and back-rower Harrison Keddie after head knocks forced them off against Northampton, while flanker Ollie Griffiths looks set to miss some of the Christmas Pro14 programme because of a knee injury.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46556404

FFS.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 4:38 pm

Poopie hell.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Dec 2018, 4:48 pm

The players don’t seem to know it’s Edwards yet. We shall see.

Bad news for Griffiths. Would really like us to give Benjamin a run at some point, although Cudd’s defensive game will be needed in Clermont.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 13 Dec 2018, 4:50 pm

RiscaGame wrote:The players don’t seem to know it’s Edwards yet. We shall see.

Bad news for Griffiths. Would really like us to give Benjamin a run at some point, although Cudd’s defensive game will be needed in Clermont.

Torygraph have picked up on the story too, fingers crossed.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Dec 2018, 5:30 pm

Yeah, there are rumours within the camp it’s him, so I’m sure somebody tipped the Wail etc ha.

Probably no smoke without fire.

Last edited by RiscaGame on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm

munkian wrote:Edwards in line to take over as interim coach.

That’s why they call me the oracle! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2018, 9:28 pm

I’ve just been reminded that Edwards signed on as the new Wigan Warriors league coach for after the World Cup. Forgot all about that. So if he does come it will be in addition to his Wales commitments and it will be only short term Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:03 pm

It’s still a great appointment for us. People talk about the environment that Jackman created, as in making it more professional, but I think Edwards will make a huge difference in that sense, even for the rest of this season. The guy is a winner and has been in a professional environment for 30 years or more. If nothing else, I think he will give the squad more testicular fortitude. Plus it gives us more time to really find a better full time head coach than what we had.

Thanks to uncle Bernard, this season is a write off anyway, so we just as well have a stopgap like this.

Last edited by RiscaGame on Fri 14 Dec 2018, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:23 pm

Yeah, that’s true Risca. If he’s there for only a year he will probably instil a much better environment. In fact, I’m confident he would have some sort of noticeable impact within a week or so!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Dec 2018, 12:02 am

Heard a lot of talk recently that BJ did a lot of good work on and off the field, but honestly I can’t think of what that is.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Dec 2018, 12:14 pm

So now we're playing Kirchner at full back over Amos.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Dec 2018, 12:47 pm

Clermont: I Toeava; P Betham, A Naqalevu, W Fofana, R Grosso; C Lopez, G Laidlaw; L Uhila, Y Beheregaray, M Simutoga, P Jedrasiak, S Vahaamahina, A Iturria, J Cancoriet, F Lee (capt). Reps: J Ulugia, E Falgoux, S Falatea, S Timani, M Lemardelet, C Cassang, P Fernandez, D Penaud.

Dragons: Z Kirchner; A Warren, T Morgan, J Dixon, H Amos; J Lewis, T Knoyle; R Bevington, E Dee, A Jarvis, B Nansen, M Screech, C Hill (capt), A Wainwright, R Moriarty. Reps: R Lawrence, G Ellis, N Thomas, H Taylor, J Benjamin, R Williams, G Henson, J Williams.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 14 Dec 2018, 1:46 pm

Pretty strange selection all round really. Guess the effects of Jackman might take a while to shake off. A game where we probably need Cudd the most and he isn’t even in the squad.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Dec 2018, 2:41 pm

Maybe Ceri Jones has just thought that Clermont are going to score tries regardless, so he's picked a side to score tries of our own. But then you'd start with Benjamin if you're going to be throwing it around.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Dec 2018, 8:15 pm

Hill at 6, could be interesting.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:42 pm

RiscaGame wrote:It’s still a great appointment for us. People talk about the environment that Jackman created, as in making it more professional, but I think Edwards will make a huge difference in that sense, even for the rest of this season. The guy is a winner and has been in a professional environment for 30 years or more. If nothing else, I think he will give the squad more testicular fortitude

The Oracle wrote:Yeah, that’s true Risca. If he’s there for only a year he will probably instil a much better environment. In fact, I’m confident he would have some sort of noticeable impact within a week or so!
So...is Shaun Edwards actually joining the Dragons then? I haven't seen anything confirmed at all

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 16 Dec 2018, 6:33 pm

That’s what people get for trusting Wales Online exclusives, I guess.

Bit of a shame. Things seemed better on Saturday though, so might as well let Ceri Jones have the job until the end of the season and then sort out the rest of the appointments when we get a full time gaffer in.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:56 pm

RiscaGame wrote:That’s what people get for trusting Wales Online exclusives, I guess.

Bit of a shame. Things seemed better on Saturday though, so might as well let Ceri Jones have the job until the end of the season and then sort out the rest of the appointments when we get a full time gaffer in.

This week is us all over. Always the McBridesmaid, never the Bride.

Whether we can keep a caretaker in post depends on our recruitment plans. Looks like our budget is getting a boost and we really do need to spend wisely.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 16 Dec 2018, 10:42 pm

Be alright if we lump 10% of our budget on a ten this season. There aren’t many positions we need to strengthen our starting line up, I would just say we need a quality ten (but the likelihood is we won’t get that) and I would like a brutish second row. Assuming Amos has gone, I would like a decent back three player too. Then ideally get some more depth, so we aren’t having to play the Nicky Thomas’ etc of the world.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 16 Dec 2018, 11:10 pm

Is Nicky Thomas still too fat and unfit? There’s a more promising Welsh prop at Sale we could have took a punt on.
Did Hill go well at 6?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2018, 10:59 am

Here you go, Dowlais:

“I was really pleased for Josh Lewis too. His control of the game was good, his kicking off the tee was assured and he was a real standout for us.”

Mikey:

“I thought Cory Hill was excellent at six. He showed his adaptability and was a real success story for us."

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/17301076.clermont-display-gives-dragons-confidence-going-forward-ceri-jones/

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:03 am

Well it wasn't the masacre I thought it would be. Fair f*cking play, but still, that's another 7 tries conceded.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:24 am

Be interesting to see what happens on Friday now, whether he will revert back to Tovey, or stick with Lewis. Seeing as Lewis did kick well and Tovey didn’t in his last couple of games, it would be fair to start Lewis again.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:37 am

I can see that call going either way. He might want to reward Lewis for a good performance, or he might think Tovey's extra motivation against a former side might be worth factoring in. He might just think that having Tovey on the bench as insurance is better than the other way round.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 17 Dec 2018, 1:09 pm

Or leave Tovey with the Keys, now Super Gav is back fit Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 17 Dec 2018, 2:11 pm

Received a card from the dregs today inviting me to the Os game at Dave.
There we are.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2018, 2:23 pm

Did it ask you to 'bring your fire'?

Just so you know, that includes hip flasks.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 17 Dec 2018, 4:04 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Did it ask you to 'bring your fire'?

You sure it didn't say 'Bern, you're fired' and they'd sent it to the wrong address?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 17 Dec 2018, 5:28 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Did it ask you to 'bring your fire'?

Yeah. Must be mistaking me for Ray Mears. My embers barely glow these days anyway.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next