The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

+22
the-goon
Pot Hale
EWT Spoons
Cardiff Dave
XR
prop_lyd
profitius
VinceWLB
SecretFly
maestegmafia
St John The Enforcer
BamBam
LordDowlais
carpet baboon
ScarletSpiderman
Brendan
mikey_dragon
Luckless Pedestrian
Stone Motif
RiscaGame
PhilBB
munkian
26 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan - Page 2 Empty Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

Post by Guest Fri 6 Jul 2018 - 12:06

First topic message reminder :

So we made it to the end of the 2017/18 season.  We've seen/endured the first year of Bernard Jackman's plan.  I think most of us have been through a rollercoaster of emotions, similar to previous seasons but perhaps even more so this season given the new injection of life and investment into the Dragons.  First there was the hope - the new coaches, some new players, the new pitch, new chairman, new cash injection.  Then we started to stumble - it's all down to the new coach and getting used to the new systems, we said.  Then came the face plant and the realisation that this trend was going to carry on for the whole season - a couple of wins in the league, a few in Europe, a lot of spankings, not many losing bonus points.  Very poor return.  The hope turned to despair and BJ's methods were being questioned.  Then the hope comes again with the announcement of new signings ('stellar' signings, compared to previous years!) and the assurance that the 1st year of the plan was always going to be difficult and that year 2 would be the one to judge BJ on.....  

So.......on to year 2 (2018/19).  Where are we?  What are our expectations (realistically)?  What's the best team we can put out on paper and how competitive will it be?  For a number of years we've been stuffed in the league so seem to try to get some solace from a decent showing in the Euro 2nd tier comp.  However, should we forget about Europe and try to put all of our focus on the league?  I think so.

Transfers - we've lost more than we've gained, although the quality of the transfers in could/should be better than those leaving.  But I'm worried we'll be thin on the ground when the inevitable injuries hit.

Players In: = 14
Jordan Williams from England Bristol Bears
Rhodri Williams from England Bristol Bears
Ross Moriarty from England Gloucester
Rhodri Davies from England Rotherham Titans
Richard Hibbard from England Gloucester
Huw Taylor from England Worcester Warriors
Josh Lewis from England Bath
Ryan Bevington from England Bristol Bears
Aaron Jarvis from France Clermont
Dafydd Howells from Wales Ospreys
Tiaan Loots from Wales RGC 1404
Jacob Botica from Wales RGC 1404
Rhys Lawrence from England Ealing Trailfinders
Brandon Nansen from France

Players Out: - =21
Sarel Pretorius to South Africa Southern Kings
Phil Price to Wales Scarlets
Scott Andrews to Wales Neath
Luke Garrett to Wales Neath
Adam Hughes retired
Pat Howard to England Ealing Trailfinders
Rhys Buckley to Wales Bargoed
Barney Nightingale to Wales Bargoed
Keagan Bale to Wales Bargoed
Angus O'Brien to Wales Scarlets
Nicky Thomas to Wales Scarlets (return from short-term loan)
Dorian Jones to France Angoulême
Charlie Davies to England Northampton Saints
Lloyd Lewis to Wales Pontypool
Sam Beard to New Zealand Canterbury
Sam Hobbs released
Thomas Davies released
Liam Belcher released
Ashley Sweet released
Robson Blake released
Carl Meyer released

I'll try to update the Ins and Outs as we go.

Last edited by The Oracle on Fri 6 Jul 2018 - 20:01; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

Post by munkian Thu 26 Jul 2018 - 9:47

carpet baboon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Actually, reading the article again it says that at the end of last season the Dragons said they would play another one away from RP this coming season, yet towards the end of the article it just says ‘However, the Argus understands that PRO14 games will be in Newport’ with no quotes of sources for this news. The Argus guessing again perhaps.

Wonder what they’ll take on the road?

Quick question, where would the likely on the road venue/s be?

EXP in Ebbw Vale, possibly Caerphilly again, there's been some games at the training facility at Ystrad Mynach before I believe.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2018/19 - aka Year 2 of the 3 Year Plan

Post by munkian Thu 26 Jul 2018 - 9:50

The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Actually, reading the article again it says that at the end of last season the Dragons said they would play another one away from RP this coming season, yet towards the end of the article it just says ‘However, the Argus understands that PRO14 games will be in Newport’ with no quotes of sources for this news. The Argus guessing again perhaps.

Ebbw Vale RFC I expect. Eugene Cross Park. But before you do a google map and find out it’s only 23 miles from Newport, please note it’s not as easy as it sounds! Driving is ok but not a direct road there. Can easily take an hour at busy times. Trains - no direct route. You have to go to Cardiff first to get on a train to Ebbw Vale. 1.5 - 2 hour journey, depending on which line you choose. Can’t imagine how long a bus would take and how many changes.

I appreciate to some these distances and times may not seem much to fans in Ireland or Scotland but, whether cultural or historical, it just seems something that South Walians are not prepared to do. At least, not often.

You can get the occasional train from Pye Corner but yeah, its a bit of a chore. I may be wrong but I think Ireland suffers from some poor infrastructure too - blyddi English censored
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2018 - 9:53

munkian wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

Ebbw Vale RFC I expect. Eugene Cross Park. But before you do a google map and find out it’s only 23 miles from Newport, please note it’s not as easy as it sounds! Driving is ok but not a direct road there. Can easily take an hour at busy times. Trains - no direct route. You have to go to Cardiff first to get on a train to Ebbw Vale. 1.5 - 2 hour journey, depending on which line you choose. Can’t imagine how long a bus would take and how many changes.

I appreciate to some these distances and times may not seem much to fans in Ireland or Scotland but, whether cultural or historical, it just seems something that South Walians are not prepared to do. At least, not often.

You can get the occasional train from Pye Corner but yeah, its a bit of a chore. I may be wrong but I think Ireland suffers from some poor infrastructure too - blyddi English censored

Will the proposed metro system go very far up the valleys? Might help with rugby travel? Or is it going to be another proposal that never gets past the idea phase like the Swansea tidal lagoon, Newport barrage, the Valleys race track, electrification of the line between Newport and Ebbw Vale, etc., etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 26 Jul 2018 - 10:00

Wasn't it all scrapped so that Londoner's get slightly quicker trains ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 26 Jul 2018 - 13:32

The Oracle wrote:

To pad this out with more context, it's one train stop from Newport to Cardiff.

Hence why "Regional Rugby" is a pile of nonsense.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2018 - 14:11

I don’t mind the occasional game going on the road. And I have no issue with a club representing a bigger geographical area/region rather than just the town it is in. But as discussed many many times over the years this model brings challenges. For the reasons I give above I can see why it is not appealing for fans in far flung (in relative terms) corners of the region to regularly travel to Newport for home games, as it is a ball ache going the other way from my experience. Fine occasionally but it would be off putting doing it every week. So it is hard to grow the fan base much outside Newport and Torfaen. It also makes no sense to me taking the games away from the biggest population area and only city in the region, from a marketing/commercial point of view. I can’t think of any club based on a regional or provincial system (e.g. Ireland, NZ, SA, Aus) that do that. As far as I know they all stick to their cities rather than playing at a ground out in the sticks (sorry Ebbw residents!), but happy to be corrected if so. And finally, just taking 1 game on the road often gets the feel of an after thought or a token gesture to appease people, but fans can see right through that so it doesn’t do much for developing regional ties and a wider fan base. The alternative is taking more games on the road, perhaps an even split at Newport and Ebbw Vale, but then that further accentuates the issues associated with taking the games away from the main population area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 10:46

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Dragons deciding not to ‘go regional’ this coming season, preferring to play all games at RP. Sounds like only 9 home league games (and 1 at the PS) was a factor in the decision:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16375848.dragons-shelve-plans-for-a-pro14-game-on-the-road/

Is judgement day on this season?   On the <supposed news outlets> fixture release, they had Cardiff v Ospreys and Dragons v Scarlets in the same day, and venues as Cardiff Arms Park and TBA.  Granted that’s not the most reputable source of rugby news, but it had me hoping it meant the Dragons would play the Scarlets at Dave Parade.

That'll be Judgement Day. It's truly beyond me why they can't rotate the fixtures for this, but there we are. It's years since you came to Newport in the league.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 10:50

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Dragons deciding not to ‘go regional’ this coming season, preferring to play all games at RP. Sounds like only 9 home league games (and 1 at the PS) was a factor in the decision:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16375848.dragons-shelve-plans-for-a-pro14-game-on-the-road/

Is judgement day on this season?   On the <supposed news outlets> fixture release, they had Cardiff v Ospreys and Dragons v Scarlets in the same day, and venues as Cardiff Arms Park and TBA.  Granted that’s not the most reputable source of rugby news, but it had me hoping it meant the Dragons would play the Scarlets at Dave Parade.

That'll be Judgement Day. It's truly beyond me why they can't rotate the fixtures for this, but there we are. It's years since you came to Newport in the league.

Its because the Dragons wanted/needed the money - I think its its the last contracted one this year - with the WRU in charge of us now though I imagine they'll re-new it.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 10:55

What I mean is I don't know why we can't play the Ospreys one year and the Scarlets the next. I think we've only played the Ospreys once at Judgement Day.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 11:01

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:What I mean is I don't know why we can't play the Ospreys one year and the Scarlets the next. I think we've only played the Ospreys once at Judgement Day.

Yeah I completely agree - they've tried to create this false East v West narrative - maybe the Blues or Spreys don't want to give up a home game.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 11:17

Sorry but I think you're still missing my point. We get the Scarlets every year at Judgement Day, and the Blues always get the Ospreys. I don't know why it can't be the Dragons v Ospreys and Blues v Scarlets every other year.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 11:18

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Sorry but I think you're still missing my point. We get the Scarlets every year at Judgement Day, and the Blues always get the Ospreys. I don't know why it can't be the Dragons v Ospreys and Blues v Scarlets every other year.

Got you. I personally don't go anymore as I'm fed up of giving up a home game and I don't really like the atmosphere.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 11:23

I only went to the first one. It was dreadful. I know they get a better turnout these days, but I'm still not interested.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 11:25

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I only went to the first one. It was dreadful. I know they get a better turnout these days, but I'm still not interested.

It got better but its still just an expensive p*ss up with my mates. Other reejuns' fans seem indifferent to any other game too plus they never put extra trains on.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 11:51

It is a nuisance. The only people that seem to like it are away fans or casual Cardiff/Merthyr/Pontypridd supporters. The atmosphere is terrible. I fully agree we should be rotating against Scarlets and Ospreys, if we have to do it. If Dragons needed reminding, the last time we beat Scarlets at home, was the last time we played them at RP too.

Anybody going to the kit launch on August 7? I am intrigued as to what our kit will look like. I liked Worcester's kit I saw on the weekend at the 7s, so I have pretty high hopes.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 12:30

The training shirts look alright.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 12:41

Yeah, I am definitely getting the black and red one of that.

I also like the training tshirts etc I have seen.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 15:32

New home kit

https://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/Rugby-Shirts/VX3/Dragons-2018-or-19-Home-Replica-Rugby-Shirt-Black-or-Red

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 15:33

New away kit

https://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/Rugby-Shirts/VX3/Dragons-2018-or-19-Alternate-Replica-Rugby-Shirt-White-or-Blue

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 15:41

Really like the away one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 17:28

I really like the home one, and I haven't been able to say that for a while. It looks better worn than it does in that photo.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 19:09

I prefer the home one. I can see myself wanting to buy a lot of stuff for training and wearing this season and I haven’t felt like that for ages. The VX3 seem a great improvement on Gilbert thus far.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 20:37

I quite like them despite a tiny grown up voice in my head telling me it looks a little bit like an Orcs v Elves kids dress up battle set. Think on balance I'd go for the Orc one.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 20:49

Haha Stone!

My point of view was more about the team running out in the kit, rather than what I’d buy. Haven’t bought or worn a rugby top for a number of years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 20:55

What the hell is this shizzle in the Argus about Keddie and Jarvis being injured already? Bicep problems says over doing deadlifts to me Rolling Eyes
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 6:21

Stone Motif wrote:What the hell is this shizzle in the Argus about Keddie and Jarvis being injured already? Bicep problems says over doing deadlifts to me Rolling Eyes

I assumed it was wrestling.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 13:01

RiscaGame wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:What the hell is this shizzle in the Argus about Keddie and Jarvis being injured already? Bicep problems says over doing deadlifts to me Rolling Eyes

I assumed it was wrestling.

Not got much experience other than being a fan of WWE growing up, are bicep injuries common?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 9 Aug 2018 - 6:24

No idea. Just sure I read they've been doing grappling, so just a guess. More likely whilst throwing iron around.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 9 Aug 2018 - 15:49

Positive sounding stuff again from Jackman (cut and paste from the Beeb). I know he did this last year and it all went to sh*t but once again I find myself getting caught up in the promises and getting my hopes up! Surely we’ll see a better season this coming season, right?!

“Dragons head coach Bernard Jackman is hopeful an influx of international forwards will help turn the region's fortunes around this season.

This time last year they had two capped forwards in Ollie Griffiths and Cory Hill - now they have nine.

Jackman said the likes of Ross Moriarty, Richard Hibbard, Ryan Bevington and Aaron Jarvis will show his squad "what good looks like".

"It's a key component in getting better," he said.

Dragons endured a torrid 2017-18 season in the Pro14, finishing second from bottom in their conference with just two wins.

Dragons hooker Elliot Dee and prop Leon Brown went on to make their Wales debuts in last November's autumn internationals.

That month also saw Jackman's first high-profile signing for the 2018-19 season in British and Irish Lion Moriarty.

His Gloucester team-mate and fellow Lion Hibbard soon followed, as did Bevington from Bristol and fellow Welsh prop Jarvis from French side Clermont Auvergne.

Samoan lock Brandon Nansen completed Jackman's forwards shopping list.

"When we do our set piece, we've got a hell of a lot better rugby intelligence and an understanding of what good looks like," Jackman said.

"That's probably taken for granted when you're in clubs with bigger budgets."

He added his younger players would benefit from "better role models".

"They're rubbing shoulders with players who've done it over countless years in the Champions Cup or on the international stage worldwide," he added.”

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 5:56

It will definitely be a better season. It will probably be a better season than last, by the end of September. I am unsure whether I will be convinced by Jackman though. In the interview with SWA, which contains a fair bit of this he talks about shared responsibility. It would be nice if he took some responsibility when things go wrong. He mentioned being autocratic last season, so we will see how he gets on this season, I guess.

I am pretty positive about everything, at the minute though. Off the field, things seem a little better with a better kit supplier. I also liked the Gwent video thing they released last night, with Butler narrating.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 6:11

RiscaGame wrote:It will definitely be a better season. It will probably be a better season than last, by the end of September. I am unsure whether I will be convinced by Jackman though. In the interview with SWA, which contains a fair bit of this he talks about shared responsibility. It would be nice if he took some responsibility when things go wrong. He mentioned being autocratic last season, so we will see how he gets on this season, I guess.

I am pretty positive about everything, at the minute though. Off the field, things seem a little better with a better kit supplier. I also liked the Gwent video thing they released last night, with Butler narrating.

In fairness, didn't he admit telling those who were moving on their fate during pre-season might have been an error? Sure there was some stuff around over-training as well. You're right though, he needs to be careful what he says because to paraphrase, we as supporters have a lot more understanding of what sh1t looks like thanks to last season - and we were already pretty well schooled before he turned up.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 6:17

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16409978.new-dragons-recruits-get-chance-to-impress-at-ealing/

Dirt trackers get a run first up
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 6:30

Ah fair play. I guess when you have set an opinion of somebody, it is pretty hard to change it Wink. I was on about the Zane 10 thing mostly.

Not a bad team from us. We certainly need to hit the ground running this weekend, before two tougher workouts. I read what he said about “making sure we’re ready for that rather trying to win a few friendlies.”, but I think I would probably have had to started a few more players that may feature against Treviso, such as Nansen and Brok. Interesting that we technically have three centres on the bench.

I guess the likes of Tyler and Daf Howells might come in next week and then Dee and the rest of the big guns for our final friendly. Hard to keep up with who is available for selection though.

Dragons: J Williams; J Rosser, A Warren, J Dixon (capt), J Goodchild; J Lewis, R Williams; R Bevington, R Lawrence, L Fairbrother, J Davies, M Screech, H Taylor, N Cudd, J Benjamin.

Reps: R Hibbard, G Ellis, B Harris, R Landman, B Nansen, L Evans, R Davies, J Botica, G Henson, J Sage, T Loots, G Gasson.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 12:12

Ealing are not a bad outfit. Probably a match of our 2nds, if not better? Think we’ll struggle to get a win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 20:54

The Oracle wrote:Ealing are not a bad outfit. Probably a match of our 2nds, if not better? Think we’ll struggle to get a win.

Although in hindsight perhaps we’ll get the win!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 12 Aug 2018 - 9:43

Tyler Type I:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-international-tyler-morgan-15018021

All the best man, explains a lot. Hope it doesn't derail what should already have been a stellar career.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 12 Aug 2018 - 12:47

That's mad.

Hopefully he can be injury free now, they have discovered a possible cause.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 12 Aug 2018 - 12:50

To be honest, I assumed Griffiths was fit if he is available for the cricket game at Usk. Good news on having more players available though.

“We’re hoping Leon Brown comes back in for Northampton and there’s a couple of others who are fit to play,” he continued.

“The under-23s have a friendly against RGC on Saturday so that gives us a chance to potentially drop some of this group there to get game time.

“Effectively, I’ve got a chance to play 46 players next week.

“Leon’s very close, he will be there or thereabouts, we’ll see how he is on Monday.

“Tavis Knoyle isn’t far away, Aaron Wainwright will play next week, Elliot Dee, Cory Hill and Hallam Amos will play the week after, and then Ross Moriarty in round two.

“Ollie Griffiths isn’t a million miles away either which is pleasing, so we’ve got some bodies coming back which is great.”

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 12 Aug 2018 - 20:05

What was most interesting, was that Ealing played a certain team from the Premiership last pre-season and had a slightly different result. Food for thought, next time somebody suggests a Premiership team could swap places with Dragons.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 12 Aug 2018 - 21:16

It's a game we would have lost last season, so a good result. I'd probably filter in most of the new signings to the first team:

1. Bev/Harris/Jarvis - I don't think we have much choice here, any good academy LHs coming in?
2. Dee/Hibbard
3. Brown/Jarvis/Harris
4. Hill/Landman
5. Nansen
6. Moriarty/Taylor
7. Wainright/Griffiths
8. Griffiths/Keddie

9. Rh Williams/Rh Davies
10. Lewis/Robson/Henson
11. Howells/Rosser
12. Dixon
13. Warren/Morgan
14. Hewitt/Kirchner
15. Amos/Kirchner/Williams

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 9:02

Is Kirchner still a 'thing' ? he wasn't in the team photograph Fingers Crossed
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 10:49

Was he not? I can't imagine he has left. Maybe he is one of "there’s a couple of others who are fit to play". Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 14:00

RiscaGame wrote:Was he not? I can't imagine he has left. Maybe he is one of "there’s a couple of others who are fit to play". Wink

Be a good bolter for the >23s
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 17:11

The Oracle wrote:As far as I know they all stick to their cities rather than playing at a ground out in the sticks (sorry Ebbw residents!), but happy to be corrected if so.

What a typical backward way of thinking by the general entitled pro rugby fan in Wales.

Firstly, Ebbw Vale is not exactly "the sticks" as you put it. It has decent infrastructure as far as accessibility is concerned with a brand new train station just around the corner from EXP and direct access to the A465.

Secondly, no wonder the Pro14 is struggling outside the towns and cities where the fab four are based. Fans do not feel part of their regions north of the M4. Lets make it worst by not playing any games up there, because the privileged elite do not want to travel to the sticks.

Lastly, I bet you would get a decent crowd at EXP just as you did at Cross keys, but lets not allow the local Ebbw Vale people enjoy some pro rugby, as the fans from the big cities and the surrounding areas cannot be bothered to travel 30 miles. FFS.Rolling Eyes

You might all think that the Pro14 is doing well, within your own bubbles, but lets face facts, outside the area's the four regions are based, bar the odd two or three people, it is struggling.

For the Pro rugby to take off in Wales, we need ALL of Wales to feel part of it, not just the M4 corridor.

Now let's see the red bar brigade attack me on here without giving a decent response. Let the insults begin. picard

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 18:01

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:As far as I know they all stick to their cities rather than playing at a ground out in the sticks (sorry Ebbw residents!), but happy to be corrected if so.

What a typical backward way of thinking by the general entitled pro rugby fan in Wales.

Firstly, Ebbw Vale is not exactly "the sticks" as you put it. It has decent infrastructure as far as accessibility is concerned with a brand new train station just around the corner from EXP and direct access to the A465.

Secondly, no wonder the Pro14 is struggling outside the towns and cities where the fab four are based. Fans do not feel part of their regions north of the M4. Lets make it worst by not playing any games up there, because the privileged elite do not want to travel to the sticks.

Lastly, I bet you would get a decent crowd at EXP just as you did at Cross keys, but lets not allow the local Ebbw Vale people enjoy some pro rugby, as the fans from the big cities and the surrounding areas cannot be bothered to travel 30 miles. FFS.Rolling Eyes  

You might all think that the Pro14 is doing well, within your own bubbles, but lets face facts, outside the area's the four regions are based, bar the odd two or three people, it is struggling.

For the Pro rugby to take off in Wales, we need ALL of Wales to feel part of it, not just the M4 corridor.

Now let's see the red bar brigade attack me on here without giving a decent response. Let the insults begin. picard

Why do you think the WRU focused on the M4 corridor, at the expense of the South Wales valleys, when it forced regional rugby on us? It’s pro sport. It needs to be commercially viable. If playing games ‘up the valleys’ would attract crowds over and above what the regions attract in the cities then the regions would do it. So it’s not about ‘entitlement’ (that’s just one of those words bandied about these days by the eternally offended, of which you are clearly one). It’s about what the owners think will work.

Like I said in my post, which you’ve selectively cropped, I am a fan of the regional approach. I’m not longing for a return to clubs. I want our pro teams to represent a region. However, I do not feel we need to go to small areas of the region to please a small number of disgruntled people. That’s not entitlement. Just as me thinking Crusaders in NZ not going out to areas in their region such as Tasman for Super Rugby games is not entitlement either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 18:08

Let me ask you - how many Pro12/14 games have Leinster taken outside Dublin to wider areas of their region? How many? And if the answer is zero do you think that is an example of ‘entitlement’ from those at the club or living in Dublin? Yet they’ve managed to grow the club game from fairly small to rather bloody big, and all by playing games only in Dublin. How?!

Last edited by The Oracle on Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 20:36; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 18:13

Well then, if that is the case, which I do not think it is, then stop referring to anywhere outside of Newport as "the sticks".

You do realise that Ebbw Vale has roughly the same population as a town from the west of Wales that hosts a so called region don't you ? It is not beyond the realms of belief that Ebbw could attract just as big a crowd as you do at Rodney Parade, or as the Scarlets do at Llanelli. Would you refer to Llanelli as "the sticks"

Also, to have said it is not about entitlement, then why are you saying it does not make sense to play games on the road because it's a ball ache ? Why should you be entitled to have pro rugby on your doorstep and others not ? Is it not a ball ache for people up the valleys to travel to the cities every week ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 18:18

The Oracle wrote:Let me ask you - how many Pro12/14 games have Leinster taken outside Dublin to wider areas of their region? How many? And if the answer is zero do you think that is an example of ‘entitlement’ from those at the club or living in Dublin? Yet they’ve managed to grow the club game from fairly small to rather bloody big, and all by playing games in the Dublin. How?!

Because they have been doing it for a lot longer than anyone in Wales, going to watch Leinster is like going to watch a mini international side. It has been going on for as long as rugby has in Ireland, not the last decade or so. The whole province of Leinster get behind the team.

"Dragons" is not a place. Especially when they used to be called "Newport" Gwent Dragons.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 18:34

LordDowlais wrote:Well then, if that is the case, which I do not think it is, then stop referring to anywhere outside of Newport as "the sticks".

You do realise that Ebbw Vale has roughly the same population as a town from the west of Wales that hosts a so called region don't you ? It is not beyond the realms of belief that Ebbw could attract just as big a crowd as you do at Rodney Parade, or as the Scarlets do at Llanelli. Would you refer to Llanelli as "the sticks"

Also, to have said it is not about entitlement, then why are you saying it does not make sense to play games on the road because it's a ball ache ? Why should you be entitled to have pro rugby on your doorstep and others not ? Is it not a ball ache for people up the valleys to travel to the cities every week ?

No, it’s not entitlement. It’s luck. I just happen to live where a pro team is based. If I moved away to an area not near a pro team (e.g. Builth Wells) I wouldn’t start a petition to get one moved there just so I had one in my area. THAT would be a sense of entitlement, that someone feels they should have one where one isn’t. But having one close by is a spot of luck. A privilege certainly, and I do feel blessed. But not entitlement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 18:36

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Let me ask you - how many Pro12/14 games have Leinster taken outside Dublin to wider areas of their region? How many? And if the answer is zero do you think that is an example of ‘entitlement’ from those at the club or living in Dublin? Yet they’ve managed to grow the club game from fairly small to rather bloody big, and all by playing games in the Dublin. How?!

Because they have been doing it for a lot longer than anyone in Wales, going to watch Leinster is like going to watch a mini international side. It has been going on for as long as rugby has in Ireland, not the last decade or so. The whole province of Leinster get behind the team.

"Dragons" is not a place.  Especially when they used to be called "Newport" Gwent Dragons.

But I remember the days when they only had a few thousand at Donnybrook (also in Dublin). And yet they managed to grow their support base without taking games on the road (outside Dublin). Miraculous!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next