The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
I'm never wrong
beninho
Hibbz
NedB-H
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
pedro
GPB
McLaren
sirbenson
super_realist
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Feb 2018, 7:15 pm

Last week's note about the Pebble Beach logjam, 6+ hour rounds, 102 golfers playing one course on Sunday, and suggesting ideas for reducing the likelihood of this "Murphy's an optimist" type of outcome, attracted an unintended and unfortunate series of responses, so strictly bullets this time:

1).102 golfers in a field is the very high end of what's acceptable at Augusta National for The Masters. But they are unlikely to have anything close to that number this year, following last year's 94 contestants.
So far, 82 exempt golfers are likely to play.

2).As far as I can see, only Ted Potter has definitely become exempt during the course of the first two months of the year. And only 3 have crept into the owgr Top 50 who weren't previously exempt: Kodaira, Reavie, Frittelli. The final owgr Top 50 cut-off for an invite is March 26th Imagine Cameron Smith will ease in to the mix but can't see too many other likely candidates. Though Poulter surely wouldn't agree.

3).One doubts that more than perhaps about 88 will make the field before any withdrawals.

4).Newly qualified golfers via various routes for next week's WGC-Mexico include: Ancer, Campillo, Ikeda, Luiten, Mickelson, Oosthuizen, Ormsby, Paisley, Reavie, Schwartzel, Sharma, Steele, Bubba. Any golfers not previously exempt who are in the FedEx Top 10 next Monday will be eligible. Currently that would include just Kizzire (playing with Woods this week).

5).Two Phil-worthy notes:
It's been more than 10 years since he registered Top Six finishes in three consecutive weeks.
And the wins of Potter and Bubba represented the first consecutive Tour wins by left-handers since Phil won Atlanta and Augusta in 2006.

6).Seven Europeans have two Top Tens apiece so far this Tour season. Would you have guessed them?
Cabrera-Bello, Casey, Cejka, Knox, Laird, Rahm, Rose.

7).Talking about The Masters earlier, it was reported last week that the Hooties are planning to lengthen the Par-4 5th hole. Mixed responses from the players:
Phil liked the idea with words to the effect of: "I'm in favour of making the difficult holes more difficult, and making the easier holes even easier."
Whereas McDowell reckoned he couldn't hold a ball on the putting surface now, let alone from 20 yards further back. (Academic opinion from McDool of course.)

8).Here's a pgatour.com Q&A with Ben Taylor, just the fourth Englishman to win on the web.com circuit (or its predecessors), joining Fryatt, Christian & Owen (another useless trivia question).  
https://www.pgatour.com/webcom/news/2018/02/14/get-to-know-ben-taylor.html

9).Following Roller Coaster's excellent link to the Paddy/Rory conversation, I see they're paired together this week, with Adam Scott - coincidence? I think not!!
Too many European Tour players in the field to mention all of them but Kiradech is here, Sergio, Poults, Frittelli, Hatton and Wiesberger.

10).Rickie Fowler won Honda last year but, unlike Riviera, the "Honda" has its fair share of "international" winners, in the 2000's alone Parnevik, Padraig, Lukey, Els, Yang, Camilo, Roary, Rory, Padraig again, and Scott. More in hope than conviction, my one-and-done this week is the 2015 champ, Russell Henley - just wish he'd get more consistency.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm

The "Honda": losing its lustre, points earned by this week's winner will be 52, the lowest since Rory won six years ago (50 then).
The date on the calendar doesn't help, LA to Florida to Mexico. Hope that changes with 2019's upheaval.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Honda Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Feb 2018, 10:09 pm

There's seems to be a bit of maillaise at this time of year Kwini, nothing seems to get going until The Masters

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Feb 2018, 10:31 pm

super_realist wrote:There's seems to be a bit of maillaise at this time of year Kwini, nothing seems to get going until The Masters

That seems right, but it's a shame really; the West Coast "Swing" had some super tournaments, mostly won by star players. I feel as if the trip to Mexico intrudes on everyone's sense of natural rhythm to the season. Not many players are making the LA (poa annua greens) / Honda (Bermuda) / Mexico (poa annua) trifecta, Justin Thomas the only big name I can think of.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Tue 20 Feb 2018, 10:38 pm

The Harrington and Mcilroy interview was great Kwini!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:12 pm

kwini

I was a little confused about the heat you took for mentioning the pebble slow play issue because in general slow play can make watching golf almost impossible. To get the most out of viewing a tournament you need to invest some time watching some of all four days to really appreciate the story of the event come sunday. I don't think watching just the back nine on a sunday is a viable way to watch golf.

Given the viewer is best served by watching a decent chunk of at least the leaders weekend rounds it is vital the rounds are as short as possible so as not to make golf too time consuming to justify watching.

You mention Scott as an ex winner of the event, what do you make of his demise and immanent exit from the top 60?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:30 pm

Mac,
I didn't understand it either. All I tried to do was identify a (perceived, at least by moi and the commentators) problem and offered possible solutions. Oh well . . . .

Two things:
I love Augusta's 5th as it currently plays, but can't tell whether or not the bunker on the inside of the dogleg is becoming an outdated "hazard" - any thoughts?

And: Adam Scott? Just apathy I think, whilst his wife was having a second (I think) child and her desire to be in Australia for it. Two years ago it looked as if he was going to the top of the world - can't believe he'd not want to maintain a competitive level.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:55 pm

Even if slow play hasn't yet impacted the pro games worth financially I predict it will sometime sooner than those who could do something about it think it will.  In the UK we will be getting Friday and Saturday evening football when the next TV deal kicks in, which I thin people will view over watching the PGAT. Will sky bother to pay for the PGAT if it is leaking customers to its own service?

I know slow play is only one of the problems golf coverage has but it is one of the most tedious.

On ANGC's 5th I would say that hole is all about the green whether you play it from 450 or 500 yards. Due to the extreme contours on the green the ideal landing spot for a drive probably changes based on pin position, but is it what is often referred to as a "second shot" hole.  It always looks as if the hole is about finding a spot on the green the minimizes the risk of a three putt.  Should you miss the green your mind is boggled by trying to pick a chip shot that will navigate the contours of the green.

Given how tough the hole is from the middle of the fairway does the bunker being in play really matter?  Adding 20 yards of extra length won't alter what makes this hole interesting.

Last edited by McLaren on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:58 pm

Just had a look and there were only 21 birdies on the 5th at the 2017 Masters and it has a historical average of 4.25. It's not exactly getting bullied by the players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Feb 2018, 12:05 am

Tiger and Stricker announced as RC VC's. So Tiger not planning to play well enough to make the playing team?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Feb 2018, 12:41 am

Mac,
I like that 5th hole bunker because it is so cavernous, helps to make the hole in that it forces the golfer to play wide of it. Mis-hit goes in the sand anyway. But if the Dustins can carry the sand, there's no point in it anymore.

Furyk not exactly thinking outside the box, or for the next generation of likely Captains, DLIII already having been announced as a VC.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 Feb 2018, 2:37 am

Apparently Duval and Leonard are out of the Ryder Cup inner circle. After Watson was announced as Captain in 2014, I asked Duval (via Twitter) if he would like to be an assistant Captain. His response was "absolutely".

I am skeptical of the changes on ANGC #5. Its one of my least favorite holes on ANGC, I think the green is too contoured for its length.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Feb 2018, 7:59 am

McLaren wrote:Even if slow play hasn't yet impacted the pro games worth financially I predict it will sometime sooner than those who could do something about it think it will.  In the UK we will be getting Friday and Saturday evening football when the next TV deal kicks in, which I thin people will view over watching the PGAT. Will sky bother to pay for the PGAT if it is leaking customers to its own service?

I know slow play is only one of the problems golf coverage has but it is one of the most tedious.

On ANGC's 5th I would say that hole is all about the green whether you play it from 450 or 500 yards. Due to the extreme contours on the green the ideal landing spot for a drive probably changes based on pin position, but is it what is often referred to as a "second shot" hole.  It always looks as if the hole is about finding a spot on the green the minimizes the risk of a three putt.  Should you miss the green your mind is boggled by trying to pick a chip shot that will navigate the contours of the green.

Given how tough the hole is from the middle of the fairway does the bunker being in play really matter?  Adding 20 yards of extra length won't alter what makes this hole interesting.

You could say that there is already an impact on viewership. BBC have jettisoned virtually all of their golf coverage, and SKY are in the process of getting rid of a fair chunk of their coverage, starting with the PGA.
Whatever the reason, golf is and can be pretty boring to watch. It was recently voted the most boring spectator "sport" so it's not hard to say that it taking so long is probably at least part of the problem.
If you can go out and play 18 holes and still catch the back 9 of a US tournament, something is wrong.

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Feb 2018, 8:01 am

McLaren wrote:Tiger and Stricker announced as RC VC's.  So Tiger not planning to play well enough to make the playing team?

Mac, "Needs More Reps (but having fun out there)" never played well enough when he was in the team. This is a moronic move as most of his experience that they claim they've brought him in for is in losing and being a terrible team member that people didn't want to play with. Good news for Europe.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:35 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Tiger and Stricker announced as RC VC's.  So Tiger not planning to play well enough to make the playing team?

Mac, "Needs More Reps (but having fun out there)" never played well enough when he was in the team. This is a moronic move as most of his experience that they claim they've brought him in for is in losing and being a terrible team member that people didn't want to play with. Good news for Europe.
Well, just last week Tiger said that he had discussed with Furyk the option of being a playing VC. So that topic is still open. At least from Tigers POV.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:37 am

super_realist wrote:
If you can go out and play 18 holes and still catch the back 9 of a US tournament, something is wrong.
At least you wouldn't fear to miss the coverage..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Feb 2018, 1:15 pm

PGA National, site of the "Honda" has been characterised in the past as a Florida waterpark - and water will come in to play this week for sure with 15 - 20 mph winds in the forecast all four days, with just the chance of Sunday showers. Otherwise dry - which will presumably help the course play firm and fast.
If the winds really blow and gust then hopefully the Tour will set the course up sympathetically. Or else there'll be watery carnage, on lots of holes but especially Par-3's #15 and #17.
Just about the most unattractive championship golf course I can imagine.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 Feb 2018, 1:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Have you not seen the Open Championship? Yes, I know, blasphemous, but I find nothing eye pleasing about Carnoustie, Muirfield, Lytham Hoylake etc.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

What's wrong with lots of water? Makes more compelling viewing.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 21 Feb 2018, 2:44 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:

Have you not seen the Open Championship?  Yes, I know, blasphemous, but I find nothing eye pleasing about Carnoustie,  Muirfield, Lytham Hoylake etc.

You know what? For TV coverage, I agree entirely. In the flesh links courses can be pretty nice to look at or meander around (but possibly only because I play the game) but they can certainly give the impression of the bleakest of places - but therein may lie the beauty in the eyes of some beholders.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Feb 2018, 2:52 pm

GPB,
I'm sure I'm prejudiced against PGA Nat because I played it a while ago; didn't enjoy it one little bit, not just because it was so (gratuitously?) penal to this mere hacker, but aesthetically it was pretty miserable.
Whereas I love the austere beauty of the Open Champ courses I've seen.
But Roller is right, beauty/beholder.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Feb 2018, 6:29 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:

Have you not seen the Open Championship?  Yes, I know, blasphemous, but I find nothing eye pleasing about Carnoustie,  Muirfield, Lytham Hoylake etc.

Very true GPB, by and large they aren't attractive bits of land. Bleak, barren, spartan, dreary and not much use for anything other than golf courses.

On the other hand, you don't get much prettier than a heathland course in the early morning or a late midsummer evening.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:46 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:

You know what, I think most people on here (who are in the UK and actually play and watch links golf) would agree with you.

Playing next to the sea often makes for beautiful views: a verdant green golf course framed by the blue sea and yellow sandy beaches. But that's at Pebble and Kapalua. In Britain you get a grey beach and a brown sea. And sometimes a bonus: Royal St Georges has a lovely view of the nuclear power station.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

McLaren wrote:kwini

I was a little confused about the heat you took for mentioning the pebble slow play issue because in general slow play can make watching golf almost impossible.  

Tend to agree.

Pebble may have been slow because of the logistics, but I found the slow play at Torrey worse because it was intentional. Also seemed terrible last week at Riviera because it was so gratuitous.

Cantlay and Na a disgrace, should have been penalised, like JB Holmes before them.

Kevin Pietersen seemed to think so too, he's been posting about it on twitter and insta.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/golf/11257901/unacceptable-slow-play

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cricket-legend-kevin-pietersen-makes-video-mocking-golfer-kevin-na-for-his-slow-play

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:16 pm

Pretty impressive from Woods I would say today: T10 of the morning wave.

Contrast for two continentals: Noren leads; Kaymer withdraws, not sure why though he had a rotten round after playing well here last year. Not like him though, so hopefully nothing serious.
EDIT: Kaymer out with a wrist injury apparently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:37 pm

RCB, Gmac (mini run of o form) and fleetwood also level. Although not sure if they were in the morning wave.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:43 pm

They were.

Cut-line Friday will be +4, most unlikely to reach +5. Disappointing finish for Rory, played well overall. Still well in it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:18 am

Lot of names on the leaderboard so easy to miss Morgan Hoffmann at 3 under, one off the lead. He announced he’s been diagnosed with a form of muscular dystrophy in December, has managed to tee it up four times this year, MCs in Hawaii, Torrey and Phoenix, and a WD last week. Incredible to go out and shoot 67 today, even more so if he can find three more.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:43 am

Agreed Ned,
Not sure how that disease manifests itself except for the articles when it was publicised. Hoffmann's an ultra-fit bloke, not sure at which stage the physical decrease in strength affects his ability to compete. We followed him for nine holes last year, seemed absolutely fine though it seems he already had sensed something was not quite right.
T2 at Honda last year so he's in familiar territory.

Am always amazed that Tony Johnstone still gets it around reasonably competitively with his decade(?) old MS diagnosis.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:26 pm

Looks like another breezy morning at the "Honda" - still expect the cut to be at +4.

Enjoyed Alex Noren's post-round interview yesterday, said his short game was really good, but dissatisfied with his irons and how they reacted on the greens. So he was going to spend part of his afternoon at another course at the PGA National complex to try to figure it out.
I've heard of pros playing another 18 for social reasons, but not as practice - though of course match-play competitors sometimes play the final few holes if the match finishes early on the back nine.

Good opening by Kiradech - looking forward to seeing how he fares next month in the match-play. He's certainly got previous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 4:49 pm

Steady stream of Europeans following Martin Kaymer out of Palm Beach Gardens:
Wiesberger, Donald, Harrington, Knox are all goners; hopefully Rory can stick around, but it's hard work with that double and triple.
Defending champ Rickie Fowler also leaving the premises, most likely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:26 pm

There seems to be nearly one person per group putting it in the water on 17, playing so difficult by the look of things

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:13 pm

Don't see much point in setting up a target golfcourse firm and fast when the wind is blowing.

Impressed by the way T.Woods was outplaying his group-mates, Sneds & Kizzire, yesterday; better from Sneedeker today.

Cut looks just about to slide to +5, good news for Adam Scott.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:35 pm

sirbenson wrote:There seems to be nearly one person per group putting it in the water on 17, playing so difficult by the look of things

Golf Channel just said #17 is playing to a stroke average of 3.8+.
Must make the Tour very happy.

EDIT: Hatton in the drink on 15 & 17, just like Scott yesterday - he'll need to get a move on if he wants to play Saturday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 8:45 pm

Fist pumps from Woods - if he goes one under par the rest of the way there's a very good chance he'll be grouped with Sabbatini for Round 3.
Wonder if they've been in the same group since Roary walked out of Tiger's world challenge, pocketing $150K on his way out the door?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

Watery graves for McDool & Poults - likely to do for both of them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:30 pm

Not beyond the realms that Woods could end up paired with Dirty Garcia.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Enjoyed Alex Noren's post-round interview yesterday, said his short game was really good, but dissatisfied with his irons and how they reacted on the greens. So he was going to spend part of his afternoon at another course at the PGA National complex to try to figure it out.

It doesn't look like it went very well.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:46 pm

Kevin Na responds to Kevin Pietersen

http://golfweek.com/2018/02/23/kevin-na-defends-self-after-cricket-player-kevin-pietersen-mocks-him-for-slow-play/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

Hibbz wrote:Not beyond the realms that Woods could end up paired with Dirty Garcia.

Woods must have realised that. Birdie!

Pietersen seems to hold grudges more than most - imagine Na Na Na hasn't heard the last of him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 23 Feb 2018, 10:29 pm

45 of the OWGR top 50 are playing Mexico.

The five not playing are ranked 13th or better.

Hideki, Rory, JDay, Koepka, Stenson.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Feb 2018, 1:03 am

GPB wrote:45 of the OWGR top 50 are playing Mexico.

The five not playing are ranked 13th or better.

Hideki, Rory, JDay, Koepka, Stenson.

That's a small field . . . . . . . .

You'd have to think all (76?) who made the cut at "Honda" are right in contention.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 24 Feb 2018, 3:04 am

There are 64 players currently qualified for Mexico, but only 45 of the OWGR top 50 are playing.

There will be at least one more play qualify through the new OWGR Top 50 on Monday and FEX Top 10. Kizzire is guaranteed to be in the Top 10 of FEX come Monday.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 24 Feb 2018, 3:08 am

BTW...two somes off one tee tomorrow at the Honda.

with only a 8 shot difference between the leaders and the cutline, one of the dew busters could have an advantage, if wind is light in the morning.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Feb 2018, 11:52 am

GPB wrote:BTW...two somes off one tee tomorrow at the Honda.

with only a 8 shot difference between the leaders and the cutline, one of the dew busters could have an advantage, if wind is light in the morning.

Latest on "Honda" wind is 15 mph, an hour before kick off . . . . . . . .
Otherwise, should be another fine day, just the small chance of a stray shower.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Feb 2018, 2:35 pm

First pair out making the turn - the field is playing just +1 this morning after yesterday's carnage. But the breeze still blows; holes cut in easier positions perhaps?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Feb 2018, 4:21 pm

Rory making a bit of a mess of his first few holes - he'll be getting that 5.00 a.m. call that he was talking to Padraig about.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 24 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

Is Rory's tooth hurting again?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Feb 2018, 4:39 pm

Perhaps he wants to play with Shane on Sunday?

Very happy to see Nick Watney creeping into form.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Feb 2018, 7:48 pm

Don't look now but T.Woods is playing really well - no reason why he can't be in the shake-up tomorrow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next