The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Numero Uno

+2
lags72
reckoner
6 posters

Go down

Numero Uno Empty Numero Uno

Post by reckoner Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Cheers, Roger!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Numero Uno Empty Re: Numero Uno

Post by lags72 Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Another way to mark Numero Uno .......

Numero Uno 40bc3a10

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Numero Uno Roger.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Interesting interview from November 2016.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/1952805-la-promesa-de-roger-federer-voy-a-volver-mucho-mas-fuerte-de-lo-que-la-gente-cree

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I’ll check it out reckoner  OK

Also ....... have just been re-reading the (2013) Evening Standard article linked in my “Federer pays heavily ......” thread.

The writer was, in fairness, far from alone in painting a morbid picture of doom & gloom ...... but some of the language - set against today’s updated ATP Rankings - does now seem little short of comical ; none more so than these words :

The reactions are slipping, the limbs are stiffening, the mind is tiring. Unworthy opponents are already earning their pensions in after-dinner engagements to talk about the day they scalped a great............... But let’s be blunt. Federer is 32, he is done for, he should retire”.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:54 pm

@lags I haven't but I definitely will now!

Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm

McEnroe, when Fed was 32: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/mcenroe-cannot-see-another-grand-slam-win-for-federer

Pioline (remember him?) : Fed will retire in 2014 : http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/08/pioline-federer-wont-win-another-slam/48612/

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm

lags72 wrote:I’ll check it out reckoner  OK

Also ....... have just been re-reading the (2013) Evening Standard article linked in my “Federer pays heavily ......” thread.

The writer was, in fairness, far from alone in painting a morbid picture of doom & gloom ...... but some of the language - set against today’s updated ATP Rankings - does now seem little short of comical ; none more so than these words :

The reactions are slipping, the limbs are stiffening, the mind is tiring. Unworthy opponents are already earning their pensions in after-dinner engagements to talk about the day they scalped a great............... But let’s be blunt. Federer is 32, he is done for, he should retire”.

Be fair though, that type of language isn’t dissimilar to the language Federer fans were using from 2008 onwards to explain why he wasn’t dismissing Nadal or Djokovic on a hard court and grass. At least in 2013, given the writer didn’t know about Fed’s underlying injury concerns, the performances were actually supportive of a decline.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 pm

To be fair most people on the boards thought that Fed was finished in 2013. I think if you had done a poll here most would have voted 1 more slam or zero. If anything more were saying zero.

Mcenroe's comments were quite reasonable - he was saying Federer would struggle to win another slam if he had to beat 2 of the 3 hardest opponents back to back.

I think a lot of the media articles writing Federer off seem to have been around US Open 2013, and I think it did seem relatively sensible at the time.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm

The other thing to factor in - it is not just the sudden fall-off / disappearance of Djokovic and Murray (Nadal is still playing on top form - two slams last year and three slam finals), but there is also b) the ability to beat the younger, fresher generations c) he is reaching an age where there is real physical decline (peak power, elasticity, flexibility, recovery times).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:09 pm

The age thing in itself is remarkable.

But perhaps even more amazing is the fact that Federer is effectively playing a part-time schedule, yet somehow maintaining a level of tournament fitness, sharpness of reaction, and overall stamina that would - on paper - more than likely prove impossible for a player taking such extended breaks - at any age. These things have always been seen as incompatible, and we are into wholly unprecedented territory here.

2017 was characterised not just by two Slam titles and three Masters (plus a couple of minor trophies to boot) - but by the fact that in four of those victories he had to get past the guy who was to end the year as World No. 1. No mean feat !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Unsurprisingly, Fed is NOT playing Dubai, although he has told organisers he hopes to play there next year. Doubt he'll play Rotterdam next year.
   Chance now for Rafa to at least close the gap at the top.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 pm

... unless Fed is in stealth mode for Roland Garros?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 pm

He is already committed to a charity exho early March. So that, combined with intention to defend (presumably) both IW and Miami, was always going to make Dubai highly doubtful.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 am

He confirmed in post Rotterdam interviews he wants to defend the sunshine double @lags.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down