The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday night kick offs.

+11
Recwatcher16
No 7&1/2
BamBam
LordDowlais
Scottrf
cascough
LondonTiger
tigertattie
Cyril
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friday night kick offs. Empty Friday night kick offs.

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 08 Feb 2018, 7:21 pm

Like the title says are there any Friday night games this 6ns?

Are Friday night kick off really necsessary?

Why can,t all the game be played on Saturday like they are on the last week end?

Discuss.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Friday night kick offs. Empty Re: Friday night kick offs.

Post by SecretFly Thu 08 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

Yes, there are. Third session France and Italy.

And I like 'em.

Three games on the one day is okay for that last day, as it's always got an extra dollop of excitement and intrigue. One day decides all!

But for me it would be too much for the three games to happen every week on the same day. Kill off the Sunday game and just have Fridays and Saturdays.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 08 Feb 2018, 11:26 pm

Once every Six Nations is fine for Friday games.
Friday - Scotland v Italy to decide the spoon
Saturday - England v Wales
Sunday - Ireland and France run into each other for 80 minutes as you snooze off your lunch.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:05 am

Friday games are great as it means no corrie, easterners and then more corrie
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:06 am

tigertattie wrote:Friday games are great as it means no corrie, easterners and then more corrie

Not that I pay too much attention to TV schedules, but I thought Friday was the one day without soaps. Are they daily now, if so can we add a new one "The Bromance of Eddie and Gats"

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:51 am

LondonTiger wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Friday games are great as it means no corrie, easterners and then more corrie

Not that I pay too much attention to TV schedules, but I thought Friday was the one day without soaps. Are they daily now, if so can we add a new one "The Bromance of Eddie and Gats"

good lord no

every single day of the week has soaps on it. Mondays and Fridays are the worst with corrie at 7:30, eastenders at 8:00 then another corrie at 8:30

if there's no pro 14 game on BBC that night then it's curtains. And often even if there is it means watching it on the laptop!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Mon 12 Feb 2018, 1:04 pm

I like Fridays. As has been suggested, I think Fridays and Saturdays (no Sundays) with the tournament finishing with 3 games on a Saturday would be perfect. Oh, and no feckin horrible rest weeks.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 12 Feb 2018, 1:08 pm

cascough wrote:I like Fridays. As has been suggested, I think Fridays and Saturdays (no Sundays) with the tournament finishing with 3 games on a Saturday would be perfect. Oh, and no feckin horrible rest weeks.

I know. I've gone 1 club game and 3 international games last week to Saints vs Irish this week!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Mon 12 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

And no-one wants that...

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Feb 2018, 1:21 pm

Friday night games are a nightmare, especially for traveling fans, I remember a Wales France game where it took me about 3 or 4 hours to get out of Cardiff, and the last train leaves at about 11pm, same with the buses, so you literally have to get out of your seat and make a mad dash back to the stations and tussle away with about 50k people to get to your platform, which you know will be packed and it will be touch and go if you can get onto your train/bus.

Wales have had our fair share of these fixtures, you can stick em where the sun don't shine. steam Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 2:42 pm

...just have match day last trains leaving a whole lot later? Or is that too much joined up thinking for the train companies?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:27 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Friday night games are a nightmare, especially for traveling fans, I remember a Wales France game where it took me about 3 or 4 hours to get out of Cardiff, and the last train leaves at about 11pm, same with the buses, so you literally have to get out of your seat and make a mad dash back to the stations and tussle away with about 50k people to get to your platform, which you know will be packed and it will be touch and go if you can get onto your train/bus.

Wales have had our fair share of these fixtures, you can stick em where the sun don't shine. steam Laugh

Not that evening kickoffs don't pose logistical problems, but they are fantastic for the TV audience (which is the majority) and therefore the product as a whole.

Evening kick-offs are the norm in football, so it doesn't seem like a challenge that should be insurmountable to me.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:29 pm

Fine then, everybody else can get them, as I am fed of Wales always getting them. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

Did Wales get them or did they want them? I fail to believe that wales would constantly say yes to something they wanted to say no to.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:39 pm

No Union was obligated to have them. Wales agreed to have 4 I think? But have said they will do no more. France 2? Don't know about their future stance.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:41 pm

France have one this year with Italy. I'll be watching Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:42 pm

cascough wrote:No Union was obligated to have them. Wales agreed to have 4 I think? But have said they will do no more. France 2? Don't know about their future stance.

I could have sworn that Wales have done more than 4. You may be right though. OK

I think it's a case of, even when it's not our turn, we seem to be the away fixtures opponents. steam

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:45 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
cascough wrote:No Union was obligated to have them. Wales agreed to have 4 I think? But have said they will do no more. France 2? Don't know about their future stance.

I could have sworn that Wales have done more than 4. You may be right though. OK

I think it's a case of, even when it's not our turn, we seem to be the away fixtures opponents. steam

? You are having a severe case of deluded delusional mental misfiring malaise there, Lord. Gotta get yourself to a Doc quick.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:46 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Friday night games are a nightmare, especially for traveling fans, I remember a Wales France game where it took me about 3 or 4 hours to get out of Cardiff, and the last train leaves at about 11pm, same with the buses, so you literally have to get out of your seat and make a mad dash back to the stations and tussle away with about 50k people to get to your platform, which you know will be packed and it will be touch and go if you can get onto your train/bus.

Typical kick off time - 8pm?

End of game - around 10pm? factoring in half time and the clock stopping etc

Last train is apparently at 11pm?

Yes, I completely believe that it took 3/4 hours to get out of Cardiff, must have been completely touch and go to make your 11pm train.

Blustering away as always

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:49 pm

BamBam wrote:Yes, I completely believe that it took 3/4 hours to get out of Cardiff, must have been completely touch and go to make your 11pm train.

I didn't take the train or bus.

Can somebody please educate this idiot and explain to him what it is like trying to leave Cardiff in a car/mini bus after a Friday night international game ?

You see, because we all went to the game in a mini bus, it took forever for the bus to get into the city center to pick us up, then it took another age to get out.

Stop trying to act clever and epic failing, again. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:56 pm

Even the trains afterwards can have hour+ long queues to even get on the platform.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Feb 2018, 3:58 pm

Scottrf wrote:Even the trains afterwards can have hour+ long queues to even get on the platform.

Thus severely reducing your chances of getting one home. steam

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:Yes, I completely believe that it took 3/4 hours to get out of Cardiff, must have been completely touch and go to make your 11pm train.

I didn't take the train or bus.

Can somebody please educate this idiot and explain to him what it is like trying to leave Cardiff in a car/mini bus after a Friday night international game ?

You see, because we all went to the game in a mini bus, it took forever for the bus to get into the city center to pick us up, then it took another age to get out.

Stop trying to act clever and epic failing, again. Rolling Eyes

Can someone please educate this bumbling blustering fool to be clearer with his moronic, blundering, bluster filled stories

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:00 pm

Isn't good natured sporting debate fun.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:02 pm

Watch it on TV and give the option of going to the match to someone who doesn't mind the wait or books a hotel.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:21 pm

BamBam wrote:Can someone please educate this bumbling blustering fool to be clearer with his moronic, blundering, bluster filled stories

Stop spoiling this forum for everybody else.

I doubt you have ever gone to a game, never mind Friday night one. When England do one, then you can troll, until then crawl back under your rock. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:28 pm

England don't need to hold the begging bowl out for more cash, so we don't bother putting on Friday night games.

For possibly the first time in your life, you're right - I've never been to a Friday night game.

Then you go back to being wrong again by believing I haven't gone to a game, glad to see you're back on form

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

Why does a Friday night game get more cash? Anyone?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 12 Feb 2018, 5:30 pm

Prime time TV slot would be my first thought

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 5:33 pm

So there is certainly an audience potential and.......... rugby wants to grow its 'brand'.  Yeah, Fridays back on instead of boring Sunday games!!!!!!   Great news!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Mon 12 Feb 2018, 5:34 pm

The police vetoed Twickenham getting Friday night games as the A306 major road out if SW London is between the station and the stadium. Friday night rush hour out of Waterloo even with the extra trains still wouldnt cope.

Anyone who has ever tried to get into Cardiff on international day will know it is difficult and condensing it with rush hour has meant I have never fancied it even though I can usually get tickets for the England game.
Not sure what Murrayfield or Aviva's excuse is, but no doubt there is one.
The games should all be on Saturdays.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 12 Feb 2018, 5:34 pm

tigertattie wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

good lord no

every single day of the week has soaps on it. Mondays and Fridays are the worst with corrie at 7:30, eastenders at 8:00 then another corrie at 8:30

if there's no pro 14 game on BBC that night then it's curtains. And often even if there is it means watching it on the laptop!

Welcome to my world. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Feb 2018, 5:39 pm

......................and England score another t................................. *Eastenders Drum beat and ominous music*

.......f**k me, have to wait until tomorrow to see if they scored that or not...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 12 Feb 2018, 10:59 pm

I was at the Ireland v Canada RWC game at 2:30 pm on a Saturday in Cardiff. The trains were so bad that when they stopped running at 11 pm, there were still hundreds of people left stranded. Many of them were forced to spend the night in the old Arms Park fanzone. Complete shambles round the Mill stad.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 12 Feb 2018, 11:57 pm

cascough wrote:

Not that evening kickoffs don't pose logistical problems, but they are fantastic for the TV audience (which is the majority) and therefore the product as a whole.

Evening kick-offs are the norm in football, so it doesn't seem like a challenge that should be insurmountable to me.
Evening games are not the problem. Getting a train out of Cardiff is a big problem. No idea why more trains can't be added just for game days. Maybe a helicopter???

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 13 Feb 2018, 12:13 am

Can’t people just get a taxi? They’re not much more than trains if you book in advance. Much more civilised too.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Feb 2018, 4:59 am

Cyril wrote:Can’t people just get a taxi? They’re not much more than trains if you book in advance. Much more civilised too.

You on drugs? You'd pay hundreds to get anywhere decent. And you wouldn't get out quicker.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Feb 2018, 7:28 am

Scottrf wrote:
Cyril wrote:Can’t people just get a taxi? They’re not much more than trains if you book in advance. Much more civilised too.

You on drugs? You'd pay hundreds to get anywhere decent. And you wouldn't get out quicker.

A taxi on a Friday night match would cost a fortune on the meter, as you would be bumper to bumper for at least an hour and a half to get into Cardiff, and a hour and a half to get out. Lets just remember, you will not only have 150k fans to sort out, but the regular punters and the rush hour as well. Friday night games are just not practical, and I would suggest that these problems would not be privvy to Cardiff city center either.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:43 am

Okay.............so let's be blunt here. Nothing ever happens in the Millennnium on Friday night?? No concerts, no nothing?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:54 am

Friday night are harder for away supporters to get to most of the stadiums. Same if they are late Sunday games.
Fans are more likely to travel if they don't have to take AL from work.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:59 am

This would be more of an issue if attendances were affected. Then you bring in tv audiences advertising money etc. Not as easy as saying well the perfect time is 2pm on a saturday. The world doesn't work like that anymore.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Feb 2018, 9:49 am

SecretFly wrote:Okay.............so let's be blunt here.  Nothing ever happens in the Millennnium on Friday night??  No concerts, no nothing?

Someone needs to tell Ed Sheeran that, the daft git has booked himself on for concerts on a Thursday and Friday this year!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:00 am

BamBam wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Okay.............so let's be blunt here.  Nothing ever happens in the Millennnium on Friday night??  No concerts, no nothing?

Someone needs to tell Ed Sheeran that, the daft git has booked himself on for concerts on a Thursday and Friday this year!

The thing is, you do not get an extra 70k people traveling down to Cardiff just for the craic and atmosphere when he is playing and watching the concert in the pubs, although I would imagine that it will not be ideal though, but nowhere near as bad as would be if a rugby match was on. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:12 am

70k people? I imagine that's probably equivalent to your 3-4 hours to make your train at 11pm after leaving the stadium at 10pm

So probably less than 100k people moving around, perfectly manageable for any competent city.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:26 am

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:

The thing is, you do not get an extra 70k people traveling down to Cardiff just for the craic and atmosphere when he is playing and watching the concert in the pubs, although I would imagine that it will not be ideal though, but nowhere near as bad as would be if a rugby match was on. Rolling Eyes

AHA! Case finally beginning to crumble. So what we got here is a bunch of meddling day-trippers who just rush into Cardiff for a bit of the craic and atmosphere and then clog up the streets, trains, golf buggies and mini-cabs when genuine match goers (with ze tickets) are trying to get home?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

BamBam wrote:70k people? I imagine that's probably equivalent to your 3-4 hours to make your train at 11pm after leaving the stadium at 10pm

So probably less than 100k people moving around, perfectly manageable for any competent city.

70k people in the stadium, another few thousand to go and watch it in the pubs and to enjoy the atmosphere, you would not get that for an Ed Sheeran concert, you really must try harder instead of epic failing all the time.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:10 am

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:

AHA!  Case finally beginning to crumble.  So what we got here is a bunch of meddling day-trippers who just rush into Cardiff for a bit of the craic and atmosphere and then clog up the streets, trains, golf buggies and mini-cabs when genuine match goers (with ze tickets) are trying to get home?

Yep, the party goers who descend on the city for the atmosphere of an international day really does crank up the pressure when you add it to the 70 odd thousand people who are in the stadium as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:17 am

so again though.................. you only prove that Friday night games are good for biz (em, all kinds of biz) thus helping the economy of the hosting city and giving the 6N more of a carnival feel than the Sunday game , which gives off the dour feel of a Puritanical prayer meeting in comparison.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:30 am

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:70k people? I imagine that's probably equivalent to your 3-4 hours to make your train at 11pm after leaving the stadium at 10pm

70k people in the stadium, another few thousand to go and watch it in the pubs and to enjoy the atmosphere, you would not get that for an Ed Sheeran concert, you really must try harder instead of epic failing all the time.

70k in the stadium + a "few thousand" is probably < 100k

Another epic blustering bumbling fail. Remind me never to get you to price up a carpet

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:51 am

I'd say there are far more who go to Cardiff to watch it in the pubs than who actually go to the game.  So 70,000 at the game and... who knows.... 100,000 in the pubs (people from outside Wales plus people like myself travelling from other parts of Wales for the 'craic', but not going to the game)?  Maybe more?  Certainly not a few thousand LD!  Every single pub is packed!  Even the rubbish ones!

The trains are just over subscribed on match day.  There doesn't seem to be a good relationship between Cardiff City Council, police, rugby lot and the train companies who are putting on trains from London and other parts of the UK.  They never seem to send enough trains.  I've been stood 5 deep at Newport station waiting for the London train to come through and take us to Cardiff and a double carriage train turns up packed like sardines and only a handful can get on (plus some poor old lady getting off who only wanted to visit her daughter in Newport and got caught up in the rugby travel nonsense!).  And then the next one comes 20 or 30 mins later and it's the same, full of men in Barbour jackets and waxed fedoras from the home counties!  No room again.  Not sure where the fault lies to be honest.  You'd think the train companies would make more money with more trains on and less people changing their minds and getting taxis or lifts instead.  And you'd think the authorities in Wales would request more trains and services to give a better experience of the city.  But it's the same every year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next