The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.

+3
cascough
No 7&1/2
Rugby Fan
7 posters

Go down

Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.  Empty Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am

Jones will now be with England until 2021, unless the RFU decided to end it all early.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42717813

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.  Empty Re: Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

If you are an England hopeful, who hasn't had a look-in under Jones, then that might encourage you to look for a payday overseas (Cipriani probably topping the list)

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.  Empty Re: Eddie Jones signs 2 year extension.

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

Damn you.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:11 am

I wonder if he fancies a crack with the Lions. Less likely to get the job if he's been out of the game 2 years beforehand.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am

In fact, I now see he has a break clause in there (based on performance at the WC).

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am

Oh that is good news, made my day.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

Definitely a good thing that they are focus on handover to a successor with the 2023 World Cup in mind. Need to be very focused to defend the title.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 am

cascough wrote:I wonder if he fancies a crack with the Lions. Less likely to get the job if he's been out of the game 2 years beforehand.
I just read about the extension. I thought he had been pretty definitive abut staying through the RWC, but not beyond. Now that I see your suggestion about Lions, it does make sense.

The article I read mentions managing the transition to his successor as a reason for the extension, which also makes sense.

it can't be for the lovely weather................

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am

This being Eddie, he will probably overlook all the obvious candidates and find an academy coach whom no-one has ever heard of...

Still, excellent news. Succession planning in rugby coaches is pretty rare, especially at international level, but I like the idea of Eddie effectively having a managed handover to a chosen successor. It sounds to me - given that this is apparently a very recent development - that the RFU have someone in mind that Eddie is happy to work with.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am

It's good news to me. He's shown a willingness to integrate youth and new players steadily. The only grumbles have generally been from those who swing to extremes and miss having their favourite players on the pitch. No one agrees with every decision but you can see his planning and reasoning. I know we've talkyd of England being s poison chalice but the amount of great youth coming through and depth available must be a blessing to a coach who can handle pressure.

There will come a time if a few losses I'm sure and people will throw their toys out, point to the fact that extensions shouldn't be given prior to a world cup but I like the planning and not thinking purely on the short term.

One question for me is that the next favourite was baxter to take over....Would he work under another coach?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Baxter has no real international experience so far, so if working with Eddie is the price of getting the England job he'd be mad not to want to pick the brains of a guy who's worked with four different international teams, been to three RWCs, made the final twice and won once. He'd be mad not to want it even if the England job weren't on offer.

Two years explicitly focused on transition is a good thing however you look at it, unless England implode totally at some point.

It also struck me that if I were the RFU I'd be trying to craft Eddie a longer term job, probably a very wide ranging one covering coach and player development and mentoring the senior international coaches. It plays to his background and love of education (he's quipped that he'd love to go and coach rugby at a private school after coaching England), and it would be a great use of his skills.

Like Rob Andrew's old job - only for someone who is more interested in the rugby than the administration.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down