The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

+19
Marky
Gooseberry
eirebilly
Jetty
No name Bertie
compelling and rich
CaledonianCraig
jimbohammers
JDizzle
alfie
LivinginItaly
Pal Joey
Good Golly I'm Olly
SimonofSurrey
KP_fan
Nathaniel Jacobs
guildfordbat
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
23 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne - Page 12 Empty The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 24 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

4th Test; Venue: Melbourne Cricket Ground; Dates: 26-30 December (23:30 GMT, 25 December)

Expected XIs:

Australia:
Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja, Smith *, S Marsh, M Marsh, Paine †, Bird, Cummins, Lyon, Hazelwood

England:
Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root *, Malan, Bairstow †, Ali, Woakes, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne - Page 12 Empty Re: The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by JDizzle Tue 02 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Cheers, JD. What you up to these days? Very Happy

In line with your comments and concern, Curran has never been a prolific wicket taker in the four-day county game. Surrey too often overbowl him, in the unreasonable hope that he can combine being a containing workhorse and strike bowler.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised at suggestions that the reason for Agar's inclusion in Australia's squad is doubt over Lyon's fitness. Isn't Agar more a second spinner who could add some runs and be a support act for Lyon rather than his replacement? If Lyon is crocked, wouldn't O'Keefe be the more likely replacement? I'm also hearing mention of Swepson although have to be honest and admit that name had passed me by until now.

Slogging away in the world of work now unfortunately, putting my Durham degree to (no) use! Good to get a chance to stay up and watch some of the action live this Xmas finally!

As pointed out, Bayliss seems to have all but confirmed Crane will play in Sydney. And whilst I have my misgivings, it is always exciting to see a young player given their chance - especially a leg spinner so hopefully he goes well.

Interestingly I have seen differing reports on Stoneman and Vince. Some seem to suggest they will get another chance in NZ, which seems fair enough as Aus is not an easy place for English batsman, and others saying that they both need a score in this game to make sure of this. Vince more than Stoneman, as there are no obvious opening candidates whilst they seem keen to take a look at Clarke, Lawrence and Livingstone - the three names bandied about.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne - Page 12 Empty Re: The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by JDizzle Tue 02 Jan 2018, 7:32 pm

Also, for some unknown reason, David Warner has decided to tweet some abuse at Swann:

@davidwarner31: Great to see @Swannyg66 commentating out here. Thought after being 3-0 down he may have left tour early again. #bbl @tensporttv waste of $$$$ from 10

There has been some terrible chat from both sides this series, not sure why it has become a part of Ashes cricket tbh. Just shut up and play cricket.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 02 Jan 2018, 7:56 pm

The trio of Ashes debutants Stoneman, Vince and Malan feel like stop-gaps to me. All are in their late 20s or early 30s so I don't see them as being in the side long-term. In fact the same could be said about the bowling department in the shape of Broad and Anderson. England face the prospect of a vacuum in their side in the next two or three years so the youth of today had better be very good.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 02 Jan 2018, 9:28 pm

Vince is 26 ...hardly a stop gap. Hes being asked to play 3 when really he should be in the mid order, and whilst overall hes not done amazingly well hes shown more than enough brilliance to underline his potential. OK he will likely never be Joe Root, but Ian Bell would be more than adequate to sustain a place in the current squad. I agree he feels like a stop gap at 3 and they could do with finding someone (stop avoiding it and just move Root up?) for that role, but Vince is good enough and young enough to be in the squad for the long term.
Malan is averaging well over 40 in the series, his place isnt in any jeopardy. Hes only just 30 so has another 3-4 years which makes him a medium term option. That said if/when Stokes returns he may well have to make way.
Stoneman much more so, and yes theres a definite long term issue at the top which made the talk of Cook getting dropped even more silly....who the hell were they going to put in his place? Steonemans only 30 as well though ...he he could stop the gap for a while yet, just not two spots. Perversely hes the weakest of the 3 and should the one most liable to be dropped ...but so many candidates have already fallen by the wayside.

Going back to the Bayliss interview I feel he was in part responding to press speculation that these guys places were under pressure. He was pretty clear that its up to the Lions guys to make scores and pressure their places, rather than him feeling that any of the 3 were ripe for replacement. So no I dont feel any of them desperately have a point to prove, certainly not Malan...although it would be pretty handy for all of them and the team if they did get some runs.
As it stands I just don't see a major overhaul of the batting on the cards for NZ. The top 5 havent been as much of a problem as they have been in some recent series for England.

Its really the bowling (bar Anderson) thats been a real let down.

The hope with Moeen is getting him out of the test team but back in the ODI side will give him the spark he needs to find his confidence again and then play tests again in NZ. I do think England have a long term hole still to fill though, finding a spinner worth a place who can regularly take wickets in tests. Cranes selection to me feels like a stop gap, I just dont see an inexperienced leg spinner who cant bat as a viable option in tests. Its not even like hes especially good. Maybe in a few years time (Anderson mark 1 got destroyed down here) but for now his selection is a much down to desperation and the failure of others as it is his own short term potential.....the opposite of what Bayliss is arguing for the junior batsmen.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12