The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

+9
eirebilly
marty2086
NeilyBroon
BamBam
tigertattie
aucklandlaurie
Poorfour
Scottrf
international198
13 posters

Go down

Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better? Empty Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by international198 Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Why do rugby players wear shorts instead of trousers? In American Football the players wear trousers. I think trousers are better because they're warmer for one reason.

international198

Back to top Go down

Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better? Empty Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Scottrf Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Good point.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better? Empty Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Poorfour Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Gridiron players don't wear trousers. They wear plus fours: slightly longer than knee length lycra shorts, fastened tightly just below the knee. These are necessary because they wear tailbone, knee and thigh pads, and the shorts have pockets to hold them.

Rugby doesn't have leg pads, so doesn't need shorts that can hold them. Some players, like Johnny May, wear thigh length undershorts to provide compression and keep the muscles warm, but longer leggings are pretty much unknown on youth and adult rugby.

Many referees frown on them because it's felt that they make it harder to make a successful tackle around the legs, and since the ref is the final arbiter of what kit is allowed on the pitch, players don't wear them.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 am

Grid iron players don't wear trousers, Poker players, golfers and snooker players wear trousers.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 am

I've seen some players top to toe in gear.

Boots, socks, shorts strip is the standard but some boys go with leggings, long sleeve under vest, gloves and then even though they are in the backs, a scrum cap!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:03 am

tigertattie wrote:I've seen some players top to toe in gear.

Boots, socks, shorts strip is the standard but some boys go with leggings, long sleeve under vest, gloves and then even though they are in the backs, a scrum cap!!!

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am

BamBam wrote:

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

I wouldn't want him to be taking his trousers off ready for a kick (there would definitely be players who do that if they wore trousers)

I can only speak as a budding track runner - the shorter the shorts the faster you run.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:23 am

BamBam wrote:

Lealiifano does the same, even if he's not taking the kick Shocked

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

BamBam wrote:

I know you are only trying to be funny but I will bite. They are head protections, not scrum caps. Players in all positions can take knocks to the head, not just in the scrum thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 am

The caps are more for friction protexting aren't they? Not going to help much if.any for a knock. The good Dr is back on the boards so may see and offer an actual fact though!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 pm

eirebilly wrote:
BamBam wrote:

I know you are only trying to be funny but I will bite. They are head protections, not scrum caps. Players in all positions can take knocks to the head, not just in the scrum thumbsup

Given that particular player's knack for getting his head in the wrong place in the tackle, he needs it. Just a shame that World Rugby's approved headgear are ineffective against concussion, and the only scrum cap that does offer protection hasn't been approved yet (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/npro-rugby-concussion-safe-head-guard)
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The caps are more for friction protexting aren't they? Not going to help much if.any for a knock. The good Dr is back on the boards so may see and offer an actual fact though!

They protect against cuts and surface bruising, and possibly offer some protection against fractures. But yeah no protection from concussion. If anything, as has been argued for all types of padding, it increases risks of serious injuries by allowing and encouraging bigger more reckless impacts. This is also why they stopped wearing headguards in amatuer boxing.

NFL players wear solid hemlets. They have a bigger problem with concussion and related brain injuries than rugby does.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Why do rugby players wear shorts?
Simple: Chicks dig legs. Completely sexist, of course, but Rugby players have got it, and flaunt it. That's the real reason I still play - sometimes so difficult to shrug off the adoring throngs.

Chick also dig scars.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:16 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Why do rugby players wear shorts?
Simple:  Chicks dig legs.  Completely sexist, of course, but Rugby players have got it, and flaunt it.  That's the real reason I still play - sometimes so difficult to shrug off the adoring throngs.  

Chick also dig scars.    

Is that matches at the school for the visually impaired or the old folks home?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down